Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have searched for and read many posts on the subject, but I want some first-hand opinions.

Will taking a course of accutane typically permanently make oily skin better, or does oily skin normally return?

I had really oily skin and hair before accutane. My face and hair would always feel greasy. The oil has come back somewhat but its definately better than before. Although I am only 5 months post accutane so it may come back, I don't know. Its definately an improvement. You would need to speak with a dermatologist, they would know more about this.

Its suppose to come back eventually. My doctor told me that he usually sees a full return in oily skin around the 6 month mark. However, he said he has seen it come back sooner, and some people their oil never returns but he's never seen that.

It suppose to come back. That's partially why this drug is still on the market. Some people are affected for life, and until more research is done we will never know. The majority of people everything reverts back to normal.

"Normal" for me is very oily. Will it go back to a normal person's oiliness, or back to mine?

Like if you're super oily now, you'll get all dry on accutane, then the oil comes back somewhat when you stop but not to the full amount you had to start with, only to a 'normal' persons level.

okay for me i had VERY oily skin,went on accutane, i got dry/normal and i loved it, went off and it all came back to normal and VERY oily the way it was before. i don't think accutane permanetly changes ur oil glands, but then again my acne got bad again too so im on a second course. but its defiantly not permanent!

I would say yours was just a tough case then, which is unlucky, but for the majority of people effects include lessened oil.

I had disgustingly oily hair / skin before Roaccutane, and I loved every minute of being "dry" haha. I've been off the drug for around 4wks, and a fair amount of the oil has returned. It's not as bad as it was before 'tane, but we'll see what happens as time goes on.