Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
avio

What type of scars do I have?? Pictures attached!

After Accutane I've been Acne free for nearly 2 years thank god and happy but I'm still suffering from severe scarring as you can see from the picture, my face looks almost burned... I need to know what type of scarring I have and what are my available treatment options?

Picture is taken with phone and camera flash, so no other light is there to cause any kind of diffusion.

Thank you!

I don't think it is ice pick scarring but somewhere mixed with rolling/boxed scars... I've recently been hearing/reading about derma rollers, and want to try using that but I'm skeptical.

I read 1.5mm would greatly help my skin with scarring over the course of few months if used regularly on 2 week intervals. I don't have all the money in the world but I would spend every penny to get 100% of my confidence back.

post-3466-1288420392_thumb.jpg

post-3466-1288420392_thumb.jpg

Edited by avio

I'm looking at Dr. Roller 1.5mm from Amazon, it's $79 which is not bad to help bring my confidence back.

I see that it's recommended to only be used once every 4-5 weeks.

Does it hurt?

Will it work?

How long before I see results?

What else can be used in combination to help with the end results?

Any creams/lotions that are super beneficial with this?

Will I ever be able to have smooth skin again without scars?

Should I look at other options and forget about derma rolling?

Edited by avio

I'm looking at Dr. Roller 1.5mm from Amazon, it's $79 which is not bad to help bring my confidence back.

I see that it's recommended to only be used once every 4-5 weeks.

Does it hurt?

Will it work?

How long before I see results?

What else can be used in combination to help with the end results?

Any creams/lotions that are super beneficial with this?

Will I ever be able to have smooth skin again without scars?

Should I look at other options and forget about derma rolling?

hey, before you get ahead of yourself, dermarollers only work on rolling scars. can you upload a clearer pic, or preferably a few pics, so everyone here can determine what kind of scars you have? people here often like to help, but you need to give them the best information possible.

if uploading a better pic is a little hard (sometimes they are hard to capture), i recommend you use Dan's scar summary and you can use the graphics to work out what scars you have. the link is here http://www.acne.org/acne-scar-treatment.html

if you have ice pick scars - the best method of treatment would be tca cross (if you have a lot of scars) or simple punch excisions with a double stitch (if you only have a few). the latter is more expensive, but can almost give you a complete correction rather quickly.

if you have rolling scars - then the dermaroller is often the first port of call. if that doesnt work (and often doesnt), many will go for subcisions. couple this with vacuuming in the days following, its assumed it can give people great results. if any other improvements are needed after that, you can go for a temporary filler every so often. fillers without prior subcision dont seem to work, as they appear to form a donut around the edges of the scar.

dermaroller facts

personally id recommend a dermastamp, rather than a dermaroller. the stamp ensures a number of punctures going into the skin at the same angle. with the dermaroller, sometimes the needles go in diagionally and this sometimes causes damage. in other cases the needles have torn the skin creating new scars. that said, its probably best you do your own search on here and come to your own conclusion.

im terms of results - usually after the first few rolls, but it is possible to see them after the first one to two months, when the collagen starts filling in. immediately after, your scars may appear completely filled in, but this is purely swelling and will go down over the course of a week or two.

im terms of lotions, some people here recommend copper peptides. i on the otherhand recommend a vitamin c serum (kept in a dark bottle to prevent it going off) and HA. both of these are supposed to help collagen formation. In addition to this, the same in the form of supplements would probably help a treat too.

immediately after you have dermarolled, i recommend an antibiotic in the form of neosporin or polysporin. it will prevent any infection and keep the wound moist until they heal which has been proven to be the best way of preenting scarring.

in terms of a complete correction of your scarring, the answer is no. through continued efforts you might make them less noticable - even unnoticable to most, but im terms of complete correction - its absolutely impossible. many people here have saddened themselves with the idea of completely removing their scars and its been really sad to see - myself included.

You really shouldn't be saying stuff like "dermarolling only works on rolling scars" because obviously you do not know that for a fact. No argument possible.

You really shouldn't be saying stuff like "dermarolling only works on rolling scars" because obviously you do not know that for a fact. No argument possible.

i dermarolled ice picks and boxcar scars 2 years ago for a total of 6 months and saw no results. logically, the dermaroller cannot penetrate into very narrow and deep scars. i know many others who had the same problem :)

its up to him if he believes me. im just trying to give everyone the fastest range of treatments.

i suggest you get off your high horse and offer the guy a solution...if not, i suggest you simply be quiet :)

Edited by gimme gimme gimme

Thanks.

What level (mm)? did you use on the dermaroller? I plan on using the highest recommended level 1.5mm.

I don't know if this picture is helpful at all... I ask people to compare my scars to the link on Dan's web site for scars and mostly said I had the Boxcar scars...

I took this picture in different lighting.

post-3466-1288470771_thumb.jpg

post-3466-1288470895_thumb.jpg

post-3466-1288470771_thumb.jpg

post-3466-1288470895_thumb.jpg

Edited by avio