Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doggydogg

Checking in after a while

Hi guys,

I'm a semi-active member on this site. Havnt checked in a while and just wanted to give you guys my input advice based on my experiences. I got scarred really young age 13 from acne so it messed me up psychologically really bad. Everyone would say that its really minor, but for some reason that didn't enter my head so when I was 18 or so, I saw a couple of plastic surgeons who all said I wouldnt do anything, leave it alone.

In hindsight, I should have listened. When I was 23 I felt like I had to do something so I went to see dermatologists. I was desperate, mentally a mess, when in reality I guess it didn't look that bad. Anyhow, after getting all types of treatments, I am much much worse now then I ever was before. I had TCA cross which helped, subcision which did nothing, fillers which caused lumps and complications and worst of all was fraxel restore. I had 3 sessions with supposedly one the most experienced doctors in Manhattan. He insisted on doing my whole face when I just wanted to do the cheeks. Again it was my fault for going along with it and he said you'll be tan for six months and then back to normal. He even prescribed me a triluma bleaching cream to put on my face. The fraxel did NOTHING for my scars and now I have the worst complexion Ive ever had in my life. My face is extremely sensitive to the sun or heat or anything, blotchiness is everywhere and even though its been 3 long years nothing has changed. And the guy just keeps saying its "erythema" and it will go away, give me a break, he messed up my face big time, and he doesn't even give a shit.

On another negative note, I recently broke my nose being a clutz. I had to go to a plastic surgeon and he literally was able to make my nose look completely back to normal. I told him my stories about the fraxel and scar experiences and he said that fraxel should never be done on someone with my skin tone and further it wouldnt help fairer people either. I guess my point is, if your scarring is mild, even if it may really bother you, don't do anything aggressive. Not trying to lecture, but for the past number of years I thought I was helping myself when I was only making my face a mess. Sucks but thats what happened. Again, not trying to start any kind of argument just telling my experiences. good luck to everyone.

Thank you for the honest opinion and exepriences you have shared.

I believe that sometimes,(alot of times) we are given false hope, with corrupt before and after pictures and false hope from promotions and advertising false hope that thse treatments work!!!

There is no miricle cure for acne scarring, and the best doctors can really do right now, is needing, either with a tattoo gun or a dermaroller.

I was told this BY a leading dermatolagist.

I am hopeful about subsicion and punch grafts? something I have just discovered.

But what we REALLY NEED is to let go of worry, learn the lesson we are being served, what comes from within, is our true essence.

Try not to focus on the flaws, when there is so much perfection to look at and appreiciate like the ability to write, having arms being healthy, loving family, a bf or gf...life is not about a skin issue.

Adella

I agree with your post. It's so tempting to get a laser, especially when it's touted as non-invasive, but I don't think it should be the first course of action. I actually think it should be a last attempt when other things fail. I think this from reading so many people's experiences on this board for 7 years (!!). I researched for 7 years. At first, I thought lasers were the way to go too, but I am glad I waited. I was your typical acne scar person in the beginning: so gung-ho, thinking everything was a miracle treatment, but then I saw so many miracle procedures for scars go down the tubes with real experiences and the passage of microswelling. I am not saying never do lasers, but it needs to be taken very seriously. So much research needs to be done first.

I think it's better to start out with more conservative things like subcicion, fillers, tca cross, and maybe dermarolling. These things are just done on the scarred skin and not the entire surface of the skin. So worst case scenario is that you make a current scar worse, but not the surrounding skin. Fillers are temporary. I would never get a permanent filler.

It's upsetting to me that you didn't have results with subcision and fillers, because that's what I am going to do. What kind of scars did you have it done on? Was your dr very good? Did it make your scars worse?

I hope your lasered skin gets better over time.

Edited by Anti - Em

Couldnt agree more. I found the doctors pushing for laser straight away arent thinking about your scars a great deal. I remember asking my doc if he had any complications in the clinic ever and he said NONE MATE. Back then, I was less informed and naive because I was so desperate. Even with my hyperpigmentaiton and scarring caused by fraxel I can guarentee the dickhead would tell today's patient that he's NEVER had any complications with any patients. Makes me want to set it up and get a friend to go in with a recorder and then get his response and sue his fucking arse.

I agree with your post. It's so tempting to get a laser, especially when it's touted as non-invasive, but I don't think it should be the first course of action. I actually think it should be a last attempt when other things fail. I think this from reading so many people's experiences on this board for 7 years (!!). I researched for 7 years. At first, I thought lasers were the way to go too, but I am glad I waited. I was your typical acne scar person in the beginning: so gung-ho, thinking everything was a miracle treatment, but then I saw so many miracle procedures for scars go down the tubes with real experiences and the passage of microswelling. I am not saying never do lasers, but it needs to be taken very seriously. So much research needs to be done first.

I think it's better to start out with more conservative things like subcicion, fillers, tca cross, and maybe dermarolling. These things are just done on the scarred skin and not the entire surface of the skin. So worst case scenario is that you make a current scar worse, but not the surrounding skin. Fillers are temporary. I would never get a permanent filler.

It's upsetting to me that you didn't have results with subcision and fillers, because that's what I am going to do. What kind of scars did you have it done on? Was your dr very good? Did it make your scars worse?

I hope your lasered skin gets better over time.

Hi Anti-Em, I had mainly ice pick scars and a few rolling scars. The subcision was for the rollilng scars. I found that it helped somewhat, I think I went to a decent doctor, but after time the scar kind of droops back down but I think slightly better than when you first start off. In terms of fillers, I had collagen which worked very well, the only problem was that for me it lasts not much more than a month. So I tried silicone, which gave me all sorts of bumps and redness, just a real mess. The fraxel laser was another disaster. This whole experience has been a huge mess not just for me but for my family as well. Hopefully things will get better over time. Good luck.

Wow, thanks for your post.

I'm really sensitive about my scars too. I know they're not so bad, but whenever I look in the mirror my focus immediately zeroes in on them and it's all I see (unless, of course, I have a huge zit. In that case, I'm focusing on the ugly big zit).

I think we all have distorted images of ourselves. It's kind of like an anorexic person, I guess.

I'm sorry you had problems with the silicone.

Have you thought of trying subcision and restylane? The restylane should last longer than the collagen and shouldn't do any permanent damage. Some people say that it builds up over repeated injections too and lasts longer each time. Are your silicone bumps gone?

I'm sorry you had problems with the silicone.

Have you thought of trying subcision and restylane? The restylane should last longer than the collagen and shouldn't do any permanent damage. Some people say that it builds up over repeated injections too and lasts longer each time. Are your silicone bumps gone?

Hi Anti-Em.. the problems with silicone come and go, sometimes the tiny red bumps are there and sometimes they are not, its a difficult issue to solve. In terms of the restylane I think I am done with everything for a while. Also the doctor thought for some reason my scars were much more suited for collagen than any of the other fillers, he had access to all of them but that was just his opinion. I just want to get my original skin tone/complexion back that was destroyed by the fraxel laser so I am going too try to work on that.