Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pickpock

Regimen started, my diary!

Hi guys,

for several weeks I´m a quiet reader of this forum. I have read a lot about Dans regimen and finally decided to start it myself.

For your info:

Female, 30, moderate acne around mouth area, regulary cysts at my chin area.

My regimen products:

Avene Cleanace Washgel

Panoxyl 2.5% Aquagel (<I´m a german girl living in London/UK <so unfortunately I have to stick with this tough stuff :( as in UK other good BPO-products are rare...)

Eucerin Urea 5% Replenishing cream and 5-7 drops Jojobaoil as moisturisers

I´m trying not to touch my face during daytime, to change my towels every 2 days, to not sleep with my face on my pillow (as long as I have control over it ;-)), not to have hair in my face, to even use gentle hair (Aveda) and toothpaste products...even my poor boyfriend is not allowed to rub is face into mine while kissing... gives very very bad results :-(

I´m on the regimen for exactly 14 days now. My face is nearly clear but red like a tomato...but this is supposed to be normal, right???

All I´m still fighting with is a double-cyst on my right chin side (double=two pimples next to each other).

This was my face when I started the regimen:

post-140107-1288371034_thumb.jpg

I had lots of pimples around my mouth and at my chin deep seated cysts which can´t be seen on this pic.

This how I looked like today (day 14 on the regimen) in the morning directly after I applied my regimen...I put so much oil on my face that it nearly looks wet. I do this as otherwise the itching, burning and redness on my face would be unbearable.

post-140107-1288371080_thumb.jpg

My skin has cleared except for this horrible double-cyst which is on my chin (right side on this pic)...it can´t be seen so much but it´s deep inside and hurts.

This is my face after my cream&oil have soaked in. Now the redness can be very much seen and the cysts as well:

post-140107-1288371098_thumb.jpg

To see how many pimples have actually (and surprisingly...as I didn´t expect it to happen so quickly) faded away in those two weeks of regimen here the same pic again where I marked the remaining dry "dead" spots which a nearly gone:

post-140107-1288371160_thumb.jpg

I can only hope that it stays so positive AND that my horrible redness is somewhen gone...as this is just as bothering and horrible to have as acne :(

I´m very happy for comments, further advices or tips!

Take care & stay clear!

post-140107-1288371034_thumb.jpg

post-140107-1288371080_thumb.jpg

post-140107-1288371098_thumb.jpg

post-140107-1288371160_thumb.jpg

Hey there! Mostly I had to comment cause your skin pre-regimen looked EXACTLY like mine before going on, like to a T! Although it looks like you're probably better at avoiding picking, good work!

Anyway, stick with it, if your progress is anything like mine you should me mostly clear within a matter of weeks. And just a question, are you making sure to ramp up the BP slowly? I was still on less than a half finger going into my second week, and less in the morning. Proceeding slowly didn't seem to slow my progress at all, and I started to see results/get compliments on my third week.

Also, I have REALLY dry, sensitive skin, and found it was best to apply a thin layer of jojoba oil after cleansing.

Good luck!

Hi,

thank you very much for posting here. Your comment gave me hope :)

Yes, I´m sure I will get clear soon...I´m actually clear today (even my cysts are gone today). The only thing which makes me worry is my very much hurting and red skin. It feels like sunburn and got very bad yesterday. I had to moisturise my face 5 times yesterday and woke up this night just to moisturise it again. I have the feeling that my face is sligtly swollen too. Every time I but new moisturiser on it stings, gets red and hurts like hell.

Although I really don´t use much BPO (a little bit more then pea-size) my face seems to react very intensively to BPO. I must say that I´m using Panoxyl and have read that even Panoxyl 2.5% is more aggressive than a normal 10%BPO-product. There must be something in this product which makes my skin crazy.

I bought "oxy on the spot" now which is supposed to be more gentle and still has 2.5% BPO... as the other stuff is so aggressive that I can use as little as I want ...I will be still highly swollen and red...it really feels like an excessive sunburn.

As I know that I´m usually not allergic to BPO (I used it in the past) it must be something in the Panoxyl-gel which freaks my skin out. Might it be the sodium lauryl sulfate? I was shocked to read that´s highly irritating AND comedogen :shock:

Any way...I won´t give up as my pimples are gone but I need to find out wy my skin freaks so much out from Panoxyl...

Hmm, that's definitely worrying if your skin is reacting so strongly from just a pea-sized amount. In my opinion, Dan's BP is an investment worth making, it goes on very smoothly and I've had no irritation from it. And I find that the tube lasts foreeeever, I thought it would be gone in a month, but I'm on my second month and it's not even halfway gone.

Just my two cents. Also, don't get distressed if you get another breakout in the next few weeks, I remember thinking I was in the clear and then got a bad one on my period. If it happens, try to just ride it out; I'm back to clear now!

hi,

yes...it´s worrying :think:

I used "oxy on the spot" this morning and moisturised my face about five times already today and the redness gets better...it´s still there but much better then yesterday...

to have a sample

yesterday at 4.30....

post-140107-1288456103_thumb.jpg

and today with oxy:

post-140107-1288456123_thumb.jpg

my left (on the pic right) chinside and a little bit around the mouth is still red but a least not my entire face anymore. It doesen´t hurt so much either. I do think that I continue with "oxy on the spot" for a while as my skin might become better. I will post a pic of tomorrow as well to see if not only the redness is vanishing but the spots stay away from oxy on the spot as well.

Yes, I´m very jealous I can´t get Dan´s products so easily here in britain. I read a lot of stories that it takes ages to arrive ect...but if my skin is not improving irritationwise I will finally end up buying Dan´s products no matter how far away and how long it takes.

Yes, my period will be in five days...keep the fingers crossed I might not end up having a mayor breakout! I´m very nervous about that! Are the pimples going away quicker with BPO or does it still takes ages to heal a breakout again???

Thank you so for much for posting, commenting and helping...it helps a lot...as there is noone in real life I can talk about my problem (noone of my friends or close familymembers and neither my partner have acne). I would feel embarrassed in telling my friends through which nightmare I´m going just because of a few pimples but it is very much lifeconsuming. I very much hope that the redness is gone on monday and I don´t need to tell people what happened to my skin...

post-140107-1288456103_thumb.jpg

post-140107-1288456123_thumb.jpg

hi all...

i feel like the sadest person in the world...

my skin is now not red but normal again...it even feels like completely normal. all i did was changing the bpo-produkts from panoxyl to "oxy on the spot".

i use the full amount bpo now (as with oxy my skin is fine with it) but yesterday i got a very bad breakout again.

i think it´s

1. because i will get my period in tree days ( i normally have hormonal imbalances before and never within the period).

2. to get my face back to normal without redness i had to moisturise it nearly 10-15 times a day (i´m not joking).

the next interesting thing is that i didn´t get new pimples...but all of my old ones wich where dead for so long now became active again.

to see my day 17 desaster:

post-140107-1288698996_thumb.jpg

i´m so unhappy...

they are so red!!!

i feel so ashamed and like a failure...at least i´m not getting red skin anymore and can start to use the full amount..

probably i can actually only say that the regimen realisticly starts today...

1. full amount

2. no irritated skin anymore

3. no 15times moisturising anymore which makes matters worse...

let´s hope i´m right and that it finally improves...

i´m so so sad!!!

post-140107-1288698996_thumb.jpg

Hi pickpock!

I was excited to find your log because we seem to have very similar problems with our skin. I'm around the same age as you and also mostly break out around my chin area with those painful under-the-skin cysts that take awhile to go away and often leave a mark. I'll definitely deal with occasional blemishes elsewhere, but my worst problems are on/around my chin (especially right before my period). I've been on the regimen for a bit over a week now and I'm dealing with the same problem! My skin was looking much better for most of the first week but this weekend a bunch of the little clogged pores on my chin morphed into big bumps and my chin is a mess. I feel the same way you do but I keep trying to remind myself that most of the people who've had great success on the regimen had setbacks for many months even before really getting clear.

Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that you're not alone. Your skin looked great in the pictures you posted before so I'm sure this is just one of the setbacks everyone on the regimen experiences at the beginning. I look forward to seeing your progress!

Hey pickpock,

I know it's hard, but don't give up! Someday this will seem like just a minor setback in your journey to clear skin.

Also, we can't jump to conclusions yet, but I THINK I may have found the culprit. I looked up the ingredients in the moisturizer you use and low and behold this is what I found:

Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Cream 5% Urea contains the following ingredients:

Aqua, Paraffinium Liquidium, Urea, Sodium Lactate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Magnesium Stearate, Cera Microcristallina, Isopropyl Palmitate, Benzyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Magnesium Sulfate, Lanolin Alcohol, Bisabolol

The fifth and the seventh ingredients in this are WAY bad for acne prone skin. Like; on a scale of 1-5, 5 being the worst, they're a 4. I usually check out all my products before I buy them now on this site:

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm

It's tricky, cause companies love to say their products "don't clog pores" but they can still have all this crap in them!

I can't remember, do you live in the UK? I use Simple Light Moisturizer mixed with jojoba oil and it's worked great. You have to check the ingredients though, cause not all products in the simple line are truly non-comedogenic, no matter how simple they claim to be.

Whatever you decide, don't lose hope!! We're all here to support : ). Remember what I said, your skin is just like how mine was and now, 5 weeks later, my skin is the best it's looked in over 7 years.

@ ohdear:

thank you ever so much for your kind words! i needed that!

it is good to know that actually many girls have exatcly the same acne as i do. that must be the typical hormonal acne then.

yes, to inspire me i read all of the success stories and look after those peoples pics. i´m so grateful that these people went through this and can be an great example for how good this regimen actually works for the long run. everytime i feel down (and i do it a lot right now) i read those stories and feel motivated again...

as i do want this as well!!! if it takes month so be it! i want it so badly and will stick to my regimen. there is no other way then this...we will win this!!!

@americaninparis:

thank you thousand times for your reply!

yes...i do use the eucerin replenishing creme but for some reasons it says different ingrediences for me. i would have never bought it with paraffinum liquidum in it as since my childhood i know that i´m allergic against it...i get red eyes and flaky skin around my eys with a sort of watery skintexture... as it was so shocking for me as a child i will never ever buy paraffinum cremes again.

just a moment...here is my list:

Eucerin Replenishing Cream 5% Urea plus Carnitine 75ml

Ingredients: Aqua • Glycerin • Cetearyl Alcohol • Urea • Butyro-spermum Parkii • Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride • Octylododecanol • Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides • Sodium Lactate • Dimethicone • Arginine HCL • Glyceryl Stearate SE • Carnitine • Lactic Acid • C18-36 Acids Triglyceride • Chondrus Crispus • Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate • Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer • Ethylhexylglycerin • Phenoxyethanol.

i know its more for te body but it works just fine for me and has ingrediences like shea butter i´m not unhappy with. sheabutter, olive oil and jojoba oil a noncomodemic for me...

it has worked great for two weeks now (even with 15-20times moisturising....and that´s a lot...my face was plastered with it!). if it would have been comodemic for me i would have broken out on areas where i didin´t put bpo on (my forhead, nose etc...they don´t tend to have acne but easily get it by slight irritation or wrong creme). on this i could really test the creme...and when more okay-ish forehead didn´t get a spot at all even if it was plastered with millimeters of thick creme layers> the creme should be okay.

i think i know why i got my next breakout though:

1. i´ll get my period in three days!

AND

i had a very bad time yesterday and couldn´t really follow the regime. basicly i wanted to put makeup in my face in the afternoon as i had to see some clients. i only put it on the spots as i thought it would be fine.

then the makeup looked horrible and flaky on my skin...

so i tried to remove the makeup with jojobaoil...

it didn´t work out...

so i had to completely wash my face again, do the regimen again, rub my face like crazy to get rid of the flakes and put the makeup on at the end.

so i gave my poor skin one irritation after another...rubbing, three times washing and bpo, makeup etc...

my face said "thank you for this" today in the morning as i fully got my zits back i had before... :wall:

i will never do this again. if i know (in future) i will have clients (even if its late) i will put my makeup on directly after the regimen in the MORNING and will put it of in the evening with my next regimen...even if this is annoying i have no chance but to do it this way otherwise i will never come further.

i want to say (just like you...a DREAM!!!!!!) : today was the first time i went out without makeup and loved it!!!

i want this! week nr 5??? good...two weeks to go! you inspire me! thank you!!!

Arrrg, I knew I was a little bit of an idiot for not double checking that what I was posting was actually the one you are using! I clicked on a link on that website that I thought led me to the same one but was actually different. Can I blame it on my tonsillitis fever induced haze? :rolleyes:

I just wanted to say that during the summer I started the regimen, but kind of halfheartedly. I took all my supplies with me on my vacation to Peru, had super dry skin when I arrived in Lima, started moisturizing like hell with a moisturizer I really didn't research, broke out like crazy, and basically gave up on the regimen until 5 weeks ago. I wish I had just stuck it out and done it properly! I know a backpacking trip is not the most ideal place to start a regimen, but I wonder if I would have been clearer much sooner had I just stuck with it.

And yes, that day that I was able to go without makeup was INCREDIBLE!! I never in a million years thought I would have that. Yes, for me it was around the 5th week mark, but I had followed the regimen religiously with Dan's BP. Everyone's timeline is different and since you are using different products you might have slightly different results. But I wish you the best of luck! Keep us updated!

i love your "no makeup at all " story and set it as my goal.

yes, the right moisturiser is very important! i do notice very soon if one is poreclogging or not (as i get breakouts within only one day then). my skin develops new pimples quickly but recovers just as quick...sometimes they dry out within a day. my problem is the red mark which sort of stays forever and my skin is very very white. i´m the whitest skintone if it´s about buying a makeup or powder which matches my skintone. so every tiny little thing in my face gets noticed. i truely hate this!

my skin got used to my bpo-regimen now and i only need to moisturise it once a day. it looks and feels completely normal although i really use nearly the full amount of bpo in my face. so i´m happy about it and have at least some sort of achievement. i do think that all of the redness and broken skin with all of this 15times a day moisturiser gave me this new breakout. as i don´t need to do this anymore my skin should improve from now on.

keep the fingers crossed...tomorrow (when it´s bright) i´ll do my next pic!

thanks for reading!

hi...

as promised my disasters :cry: (foto made 30min ago)

first a pic without desciptions (for you to see the "full amount" of pimple-nightmares):

post-140107-1288859918_thumb.jpg

and the other one with desciptions...

unfortunately i wrote it in german...so ere the translation:

neu= new

alte entzündung= old infection

fünffach zyste (left chinside)= fivetimes cysts

post-140107-1288859928_thumb.jpg

basicly i got three new pimples, one old one was there for longer and the fivetimes cyst was there all the time and is dying of slowly...

so what do you think? any chances for me for better skin?

mmmmmhh, all of my pimples are now dry so there might be a chance that tomorrow they have already faded and i´m back to "improving".

i will post a pic of tomorrow and keep the fingers crossed that my time of active pimples is over now...

one day to come for my period...lets hope this is not going to ruin my skin again...

post-140107-1288859918_thumb.jpg

post-140107-1288859928_thumb.jpg

i am very happy!

nothing new growing in my face and all of the pimples are dry and start to fade away :dance:

today is my last day of my nuvaring and tomorrow i´ll get my period. i very much hope that i won´t get any period cysts and that my skin even survives this hard time. those masses of bpo seem to help.

ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh, keep the fingers crossed that i keep improving!

day number 21, my pic ( made 15min ago):

post-140107-1288943699_thumb.jpg

post-140107-1288943699_thumb.jpg

Congrats pickpock! It's looking great! If that dreaded period breakout comes, try not to sweat it TOO much. From the looks of your pictures, it seems like your skin has been healing really fast! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

hi,

thank you very much for your comment...it gave me a good feeling as i really start to think that my skin actually heals quite well and fast. i just don´t see this as i look about 54758times a day in the mirror to see any changes (and i can´t see any of course). so for me it´s actually very good to do my regimen-book here as then i can really see my skin changing and improving (or getting worse :shifty: ). it´s very interesting how different my skin actually looks every single day. on one it´s red and dry and just another day it´s back to normal and just another day full with pimples and so on and on.

i do hope that i have the chance to stay clear for a while now...even now...in the most difficult time (my period).

i will post tomorrow ...of course. maybe the worst is over then...

let´s see :)

Hey pickpock!

It looks like things are healing up really well. Try not to sweat it, it's a very bumpy road the first few weeks (often literally, when it comes to the face!), but then things should get consistent after awhile. Also be especially easy on yourself cause you were changing products around at the beginning, so be lenient in terms of counting the weeks you've been on the regimen!

I've realized that the most important thing is to treat my skin kindly, and it usually heals up much more quickly for me.

It's also crazy every time I look at your photos, how similar acne we have! Mine has always been literally in the exact same places as yours! Must be something about us older ladies ;)

Something that is NOT the same between us though, is how the lower part of our faces look on camera! You have such a stunning jawline that it's clear that you're very beautiful despite acne! I personally have no self-esteem issues, and am not overweight, but took photos of the lower half of my face like you did and was just like, daaaaaaaamn those are not going on the internet! I guess it's just not my most attractive feature - got a bit of baby chin fat that will always be there. Maybe some day I'll get brave, but for the moment I applaud you - and it really looks stunning!

You'll get there, don't give up! And go VERY easy on yourself during your period. Most likely you will break out. You can try taking Evening Primrose Oil, that's supposed to help, or I sometimes take ibuprofen to decrease swelling.

In any case, keep us posted, and stay optimistic!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh :wub: .....i think so far noone has ever said anything positive about my jawline. infact: in school they were making jokes of it and when i used to model most of the clients didn´t want me because of my jawline.

so after a while i accepted it as a not so nice part of me...but when i was younger it was tough. when i sat in the model agencies people came with their cameras, made a pic of me and said "no, we can´t take you...your jawline is to wide on a photo!"...

so you have no idea what it means to me that someone for the first time ever said something nice about it...

you know...it really is my most horrible part: dominant and full with pimples! but i thought > give it a go...otherwise people will never know how your chin looks like and can´t help you. so don´t worry about your features. as you can see: i think my chin is horrible and you liked it...so the chances might be very high that you hate your jaw but everyone else likes it :) maybe you will give it a go somewhen and show us your chin. well...i would very much like to see it. it can´t be worse then mine as mine is full with pimples and yours isn´t!

yep...i´m scared of my periodtime. i so break out at this time. the ibuprofen gel is already bought to prevent the worst case scenario. well, i will keep you posted anyway!

so far nothing new in my face jet...more tomorrow with a new pic :-)

the ibuprofen gel is already bought to prevent the worst case scenario. well, i will keep you posted anyway!

Have you used it before? If so does it really keep the inflammation of the cysts away and lessen the redness? I get the same type of acne on my chin and around mouth at times and just ordered the gel myself but its gonna take 2 weeks to get here :(.

well, i have used it already and must say that it doesn´t take infections completly away if the are already there....BUT it keeps them small which means a cysts doesn´t become as big anymore. normally my cysts used to get very very big. once my partner said to me: oh my god, it looks like someone has punched you in your face!

when you use ibuprofen the cyst stays small...it doesn´t go away immediatly but it just doesn´t get bigger. it´s still a cysts though so it will stay for a while but you won´t notice it so much anymore as it hardly comes to the surface.

so if you have very fat cysts the ibu-thing is indeed very usefull...

as i promised: my pic of today

day number 22:

post-140107-1289036312_thumb.jpg

so far nothing new....everything is still fading.

today or tomorrow i´ll get my period and after that i´m off the nuvaring...so let´s see if the bpo can even handle this big hormonal thing.

i pray and try to be positive but i don´t expect too much the next days as i know my skin is going to be a nightmare and unpredictable.

i´ll keep you posted!

post-140107-1289036312_thumb.jpg

Hey pickpock!

Your skin's looking great! what a fast transformation !!!!! :)

Everythinng looks calm including the spots. Keep up the good work! :)

x

oh thank both of you :wub: i´m flattered!

update:

yesterday

> i was out to watch fireworks

> i had a drink

> i had fish and chips

> i could only do the regimen late at night when i came back

> i slept unwell and squeezed my face in the pillow at nighttime (<well i woke up with my face in the pillow)

> and i´m getting my period

but...

today: no single new pimple after all of this pimple-mistreating!

my face today:

post-140107-1289128489_thumb.jpg

oh please god...let it stay good and let it heal! i´m so happy that i didn´t wake up with new zits in my face.

stay clear!

hi you,

today is my day number 24...

so far nothing new...just the old zits are remaining and two on my right side (pic left) just don´t want to give up. as i´m on my period i do think that might be related to this. i should not complain but be happy that it didn´t become worse as i thought i´m going to be "madame pimple" in this week.

so far nothing of this happened...but i don´t want to be too optimistic as i know that it only takes one single bad day and the zits are back again.

i read that infections (to become a zit) take 30-90 days....that would explain why the bpo-method makes the skin better from day 30...still gives some sort of minor breakouts in month 2 and 3...and then starts to stay clear.

anyway...

my pic, day 24:

post-140107-1289211217_thumb.jpg

take care and stay clear!

Looking good, pickpock! I always tend to break out right before my period. It's funny. There must be different kinds of zits and some are more accelerated than others. Cause I do believe that most zits take two weeks to (I suppose) 90 days to form, so it does make sense that we have to be on the regimen for that long! But on the other hand, do hormonal pimples get on the fast track so they show up right for our periods? Or is it just our hormones activating the bacteria that is already there? I get so confused :( even though there is so much info out there, I still feel like I'm in the dark sometimes. Which is why it's important to stick with a regimen for a looooong time. I see people out there who are trying to analyze their face on a day by day basis saying, "well I broke out today, must be because I ate this one thing last night" and I just think it's generally so hard to know. So I stopped second guessing myself a long time ago and tried to stop feeling bad for myself. It's hard sometimes, but I'm working at it!

And yeah, people need to realize that they will still break out well into the regimen. I've read pretty much all the logs on here and a few claimed to be totally clear from their first day to second week, but I really think in general that's not the case. My breakouts have been a lot smaller though and go away a lot more quickly. People just need to be prepared that it's a long road and the cure won't come overnight.