Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
davos

My whole face is red and swollen! Normal?

Hi All,

I've just started the regimen and in the UK, so i'm using panoxyl 5% (couldn't find 2.5 and 10 seems way too strong) together with E45 as my moisturiser.

On my first day I used a blob of panoxyl about the size of a pea and dabbed it around my jawline which is where I get my break-outs. I waited 15 mins for absorption, then liberally applied my moisturiser.

2 days later my whole face looks clearly sunburn and has swollen up. My skin is dry and itchy, regardless how much moisturiser I add.

I've stopped using the panoxyl completely, until the redness and swelling goes down, but in the meantime - what have I done wrong?

5% is probably too strong, I know, but all the same - should it have had this effect? I'm also slightly confused that although I applied it to such a specific area, my entire face (up to my eyes at least, my forehead is unaffected) has swollen.

Is this an allergic reaction or is this what I should expect from 5% in the quantities I used?

This isn't a matter of embarrassment (i'm 30, i frankly don't care how I look if its for the best), its a matter of annoyance that I have somehow done such a simple task wrong :P

Please help!

I'm pretty positive that swelling was a sign of allergy to BP. 2-3% of people are allergic to it, and it sounds like you're one of them. :wall:

I'm pretty positive that swelling was a sign of allergy to BP. 2-3% of people are allergic to it, and it sounds like you're one of them. :wall:

That sucks if thats the case. Do you know of any alternatives to BP that would be as effective?

I'm allergic to bp and got symptoms like: redness, pain, itching, burning, and swelling. My eyelids actually swelled shut, and I didn't put bp anywhere near there.

BP didn't really work for me even before I had the allergic reaction, but I've had good luck with the prescription Tazorac 0.1% Gel and Paula's Choice BHA Liquid.