Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stuffisboring

spot specific scabs vs. general area scabs

Ok,the majority of the time I get tiny, dry, spot specific scabs that are no big deal, but, every once in a while I'll get an oozing general area scab, like the size of a quarter or larger, that, will cover a large area surrounding only 2 or 3 small pimples. Can someone please explain to me how to prevent the second type, or at least how/why they happen. I would really appreciate it.

Are you picking at pimples or trying to mess with clogged pores? I find that I can make my skin raw by just picking at a clogged pores, and ANY skin that is raw will scab over. Sometimes it seems that I barely mess with a spot and the next day I'll have a huge scab. I just finished healing a big scab that covered the crease under my lip above my chin. All I did was scratch at the clogged pores in there a little...

I really feel that if I didn't pick at all, I wouldn't get any scabs but I can't help it..

Edited by curly.lyssa

Well, how are you treating your skin? If you are aggressive with it, that could be causing scabs. If you get blemishes that break open, they can scab.

Are you sure it's a scab and not another type of skin ailment? Maybe a severe case of eczema? Kind of hard to help without knowing more info on your skin, how it feels, how you treat it, what you use, etc.

Ok, well, I took pictures, that I'll attach to this post. Hopefully that'll be sort of helpful. In this case, both scabs are healing (pink skin stage), but it still illustrates the difference I'm talking about. It seems the "general area" ones (this one roughly the size of a dime) only happen when there are two or more pimples fairly close to each other. It's almost as if the bacteria from the two pimples converge or something, but I always wipe the area with alcohol first, I've even tried just popping one, and then waiting to pop the other, once the first has sealed up - still have issues. As far what I use, I mainly just stick to astringent for smaller pimples, and if it's one that I've popped, that becomes a "goo scab", I use rubbing alcohol, and then neosporin. Once the "gooing up stage" stops, I forgo the alcohol, and just use a small amount of neosporin. Thanks to AshleyNicole and curly.lyssa for responding and to all who will respond. I appreciate it, this is like the third GA scab I've gotten - last was worse, looked like I got punched hard in the corner of my mouth.

post-139787-1288501937_thumb.jpg

post-139787-1288501991_thumb.jpg

Edited by stuffisboring

Almost looks like a blister actually... You probably should give up the alcohol, since it's very drying and could be making the scabbing worse. As for popping, DO NOT do that! Just making matters worse, I can see why it might end up forming a much larger lesion.

Lyssa's right. Any raw skin, if it's cracked/broken, can easily scab over. Or form an almost-scab, where the skin is kind of scabby hard but doesn't form a real scab that falls off, you know?

Yeah, I suppose, hmm - the reason I use the alcohol is because it's the only thing that stops it from gooing up really crazy/forming a big brown scab. Also, it is in the later part of the healing stage, which is why it looks more like a blister. In this case the pimple I popped seemed totally "ready", large whitehead etc. I don't know - it's just frustrating because most of the time it's not an issue, and I can't pinpoint why I get these seemingly at random, when the rest just leave a fairly negligible mark - I'm always really careful about the hygiene aspect of it. Thanks for the reply.

Hey StuffIsBoring,

I know this is an old topic, but I'm writing to say that I too suffer from what you're getting.

I've always thought of them as zits, but I've Googled them the last couple of occasions (my last healed a fortnight ago) and couldn't find anything on them. I've also scoured pictures of eczema looking for similar symptoms but with no success. So far, you're the first I've seen to describe the same symptoms, and the red patch by your lip in that photo looks very familiar.

I'm 31 and have had facial zits since I was 12. I don't get many zits anymore (I've actually had zit-free periods in the last 2 - 3 years), but those few that I do get almost invariably turn out like the ones you describe. They've only been bothering me for about the past 5 years and I hate to say it, but for me they've been getting worse. The first couple of times they were just red and peeling around my lower lip, but after that there's been some more serious ones on my cheeks.

They're oily, feel a bit like oversized underdeveloped whiteheads, but the head never comes; just a great big scabbing area. It leaks oil if squeezed and feels like it would keep spreading forever if I cared to keep squeezing (which I want to do, but mustn't). I thought that leaving them alone would keep the scabbing to a minimum, but I've had several that I've gone out of my way not to touch at all (not even the slightest little teensy feel) but they always come out about the same size. It seems that once one of these things is forming, it has to just run its course. I've tried treating them with the usual array of spot creams plus moisturizers, post-shave balms, alcohol, plasters, witch hazel. None of these had any noticeable effect, except the witch hazel which had the horrifying effect of making a huge area around the scab start to peel in an alarming fashion and made the whole area very sore.

The worst part of this sort of scab has been that they only appear on the face, commonly on the cheeks and chin where they're painfully obvious.

Guest Timehealsall

Thats weird. Maybe it is just PIH?

Try not picking at one and seeing if it still scabs