Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone,

I just started taking accutane yesterday and I'm a bit scared about it. My derm recommended it because I've tried other topical meds and antibiotics without much success. However, I've seen some pictures that show dramatic improvement and I'm feeling hopeful. ;)

A little bit about me:

I'm a 25 year old female who has had acne for about 10 years. People always told me not too worry too much about it as a teenager, because they said it would eventually go away once I was an adult....apparently it didn't. :cry: Anyway...just like many of you, I've tried all sorts of topicals: salicilic acid, benzyl peroxide, benzaclin, differin, the clinique 3 step thingie, minocycline, retin-a, tea tree oil, changing my diet, and more! :confused: My acne isn't super severe, I don't get huge painful cysts all the time, usually just smaller ones around that dreaded time of the month, and some smaller red bumps and whiteheads. What is bugging me though is that my acne is scarring and it's really obvious because I'm really fair skinned and scar easily. I also have bacne and nothing seems to work on that at all! Some of the topicals helped my face a bit, but haven't helped with my bacne. :(

I can't believe it's taken me THIS LONG (almost 10 years) to finally go see a derm and consider taking accutane. I've been so scared of the side effects that I never really gave it much thought, but I recently got engaged and decided it's finally time to do something about my skin. I mean, the acne on my face bugs me, but at least it can kind of be covered up by make up, but my back???!!! I guess I could also put make up on my back, but it would look dreadful and ruin my wedding dress if any of the makeup smeared onto the white dress. :( Well...we're not getting married until the summer of 2012, so I'm going to try to remain positive and be hopeful that my skin will look good by then!

Apart from the wedding, I also know that acne is definitely affecting my lifestyle and self confidence. I try to avoid going to social events or places where I'll have to talk to lots of people I don't know if my face is looking bad and I've also become one of those people who can't leave the house without makeup on....never thought I'd be like that, and I really wish I didn't have to hide my face, but I don't feel comfortable or confident enough not to hide my scars and blemishes. :( I've also avoided activities like swimming and choose clothing that doesn't reveal too much of my back, because of my bacne.

Fortunately, I've been blessed with family members who are supportive and don't blame me for the problem nor tell me that I have acne because I don't wash my skin well or eat well...I've heard other people say things like that and it's awful! I think my family knows that my problem is probably hereditary, since my aunt and some of my cousins have also struggled with acne, and they understand what I'm going through. My fiancee is also very supportive, and I'm thankful for that too. He's one of those people who washes his face with regular soap, or even just water, doesn't moisturize, and doesn't use anything on his skin, and eats lots of junk food, and never really breaks out (hahaha...I'm soooo jealous!). However, he says he had pretty bad skin as a teenager, some painful cysts around his jawline and even some on his neck and back and chest, so he completely understands how I feel and I feel comfortable enough not to be paranoid or self conscious around him.

Day 1 was ok...I'm putting on lots of lotion because my skin is super sensitive and I'm worried about it getting too dry. :P

Edited by (-_-)

Thanks ladies! :)

Yup...it is so encouraging to read about how much some people's skin has improved...especially after reading all of the negative side effects...I'm so excited that I might finally have clear skin in a few months!!! :dance:

Day 2

I'm taking 40 mg/day. Things are about the same as Day 1, although I had a hard time sleeping on both nights, but that might just be because I've been taking naps and sometimes that messes up my sleeping pattern. Still applying lots of moisturizer on my face and my whole body, since my skin is already pretty dry to begin with and I don't want it to hurt, especially now that the winter is approaching. Oh I'm also using eye drops and a nasal gel lubricant that my pharmacist recommended. So far things are ok. ;) I think I'm getting a few new zits on my cheek though...but that might just be cuz of my period...or maybe the IB will start soon....aaah :(

Edited by (-_-)

Day 3

I didn't notice much difference this morning when I woke up and took a shower, but I just washed my face since I'm gonna go sleep soon and it stung a little when I put moisturizer on, especially my nose. My pharmacist warned me about this so I've been using a lubricating nose gel. It feels really cold and soothing when I put it in, but it also feels a bit weird...kinda like fake watery boogers or something. :lol: wahaha

Edited by (-_-)

Days 4 and 5

I'm beginning to notice the dryness a bit more, especially today. :| Well, my skin is super sensitive, and I've always had dry skin, so that is no surprise...

The driest areas are my nose and my eyes. My nose feels like I have a cold and like I've been blowing my nose all day. Thankfully it doesn't really look that red, but it does sting a bit. :( I just washed my face and put extra moisturizer around my nose...hopefully that works. Any suggestions for a good moisturizer for sensitive skin?

My eyes are also feeling a bit more dry, especially since I wear contact lenses. Fortunately eye drops help and I feel ok as long as I use eye drops. I'm using genteal eye drops and they seem to be working well. :)

Another thing I've noticed is that I always seem to be thirsty, and I guess this is normal, since everything seems to be drying out a bit....

;) No huge breakouts yet, although I feel like I'm going to have a new zit right next to my nose, and I hope it doesn't get too big, because the area around my nose is feeling really sensitive right now. Should I put anything else on my face, like differin or benzyl peroxide or would that just be too harsh on my skin even if I moisturize afterwards? aaahhh...I'm so scared of the IB

Edited by (-_-)

It's funny reading your blog - going through almost the same things!! I could have written most of that myself. If I were you I probably wouldn't put anything on there like BP. If you do get a zit there you want the skin around it to be as healthy as possible to speed up healing... that is my thinking anyway. I don't know. What about some antiseptic cream, in Aus we have a brand called Savlon and it keeps the bacteria on your skin down, its moisterising too.

hey there all the best with your course.

as for topicals, your probably better off avoiding it (in my experience) i had nasty reactions to them in combo with accutane. use aloe vera gel! use asprin masks or jojoba oil and emu oil. these are much better anti - inflammatories.

j x

The driest areas are my nose and my eyes. My nose feels like I have a cold and like I've been blowing my nose all day. Thankfully it doesn't really look that red, but it does sting a bit. I just washed my face and put extra moisturizer around my nose...hopefully that works. Any suggestions for a good moisturizer for sensitive skin?

For moisturizer I'm using Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer SPF 15. I really like it. I want something more like a cream just to have so I think I'm going to buy Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. I read that that is really good. My nose has been really dry lately, too. And I've been more thirsty than usual, too, and I drink like a fish!

Days 6 & 7

Thanks girls! It's nice to know that there are other people out there going through the same thing.

:angel:

I'm feeling pretty much the same as the previous days, moisturizing tons at night before I go to bed and that seems to be helping. Yesterday, I went to work and forgot to bring my lip balm, aaaaah...that was a bad idea!!! :doh: My fiance picked me up from work and I as soon as he did I asked him to take me to buy chapstick, and he was like :shock: because I seriously have like 20 lip glosses and chap sticks at home...but I really really REALLY needed it...felt so good to apply it after having missed it all day. :lol: From now on I'm going to keep cream, eye drops, and lip balm in all of my purses...hehehe ;)

I had mild headaches for the first few days and had trouble sleeping the first 2 nights, but it's ok now. I think it might not be related to the accutane but just to my change in schedule and because I took naps on those days.

I'm not going to use any topicals and I'm going to resist the urge to pop any zits...at least I haven't had a bad breakout yet. I'm worried about next month though, because I usually break out around that time of the month... :|

Thanks for the advice on moisturizers, I'm using Aveeno Ultra Calming Skin Moisturizer with SPF 30 now, and lip balm with spf as well, and they're working all right...might use cetaphil on my nose since that's the driest area. Not too sure where to get Emu oil, but I'll look into that :)

Edited by (-_-)

Days 8, 9, & 10

Days 8 & 9 were pretty much as days 1-7, but today was BAD!!! :wacko: Definitely starting to go through the initial breakout, and my skin hasn't been this bad in a long time. :cry: I have whiteheads all over my nose and chin, and a few painful cysts seem like they might be forming.

ja;lsdkfj ;saldfjal;s jfalsjf as a;sldf jas;lfj as :( please go away acne!! :(

Well, I just need to try to stay positive and keep reminding myself that this is only temporary...

Edited by (-_-)

Hun, it is definitely only temporary!

This is the beginning of good things to come! You're going to look super awesome in a couple of weeks, just like I will, right? I keep thinking to myself that this is hopefully the last break out that I EVER have!.... and if I get one next month, I'm going to get through thinking the same thing. NO MORE SKIN ISSUES!

Maybe go & have a look at some before & after photos to remind yourself why you are putting yourself through this?... and take it easy on yourself.... some people would just give up when it gets hard... you aren't gong to do that!

Days 11 & 12

The bad news:

Hmm...I'm pretty sure I'm going through my initial breakout. :( At least it's not all over my face, just my chin area, which is where I usually break out anyway, since my acne seems to be hormonal. :| It's just a bit worse than usual.

The good news:

At least my skin is drying out, and the pimples seem to be drying out faster than usual, so hopefully they'll go away faster too! :)

I'm not feeling as upset as I was yesterday, but today I noticed that I kinda tried avoiding talking to other people because I feel a bit embarrassed about my skin. It hasn't been this bad in a while. :wacko: At least makeup helps a little bit.

So tempted to pop the zits...I popped the biggest one and now I kinda regret it.....aaaah!! :mad: Lets hope it dries up soon!!

I'm thinking of buying Vitamin E and maybe giving emu oil a try...we'll see how that goes.

I went shopping yesterday and bought emu oil, vitamin E & fish oil (with no vitamin A), and dandruff shampoo because I'm terrified about potentially getting dandruff! I don't like my skin right now, but at least I have nice hair... :lol:

I put some emu oil on last night before I went to bed and when I woke up my face wasn't as red and it didn't feel super oily, so that is good. My skin is kinda weird...it has been dry ever since I was a kid, but the skin on my face has dry patches and oily parts at the same time. :doh: grrr....combination skin :boohoo: Anyway, sometimes my skin is super dry, and then I moisturize, and then a few hours later it gets super oily. This is especially true in the morning when I wake up. However, when I woke up this morning, my face felt fine and not too oily, so I will keep using emu oil for a while to see how it goes.

It does kinda worry me though, cuz some people have good experiences with emu oil and my bottle says its noncomedogenic, but some people say it is comedogenic? Most people seem to have pretty good reviews though, so I figured I'd give it a try.

The other thing that bugs me a bit is just thinking about where it comes from...bird fat. ugh :wacko: but if it helps I guess it's worth a try :)

Days 13-19

Wow...I haven't updated in a while. :eh: Things were pretty much the same this whole week. Skin is still a bit dry, but moisturizer helps. I'm also using aquaphor at night and it's been helping a lot. ;) I think I'm still going through some kind of initial breakout cuz I don't usually break out when it's not my time of the month....most of the zits are also in my chin area. :redface: The one good thing about the dryness is that my pimples are drying out faster than usual.

Oh...one thing that is bugging me a bit is my nose! :confused: As I was putting make up on this morning, I felt my nose and the texture is terrible. :wacko: Kinda feels sandpapery and gross cuz of all the whiteheads that are popping out. I feel SO TEMPTED to do something about it, but I don't want my skin to get more irritated now that it's more sensitive than usual. :|

My hands get a little itchy if I forget to moisturize, but I haven't really had any major problems yet. :)

Day 20

:dance: I'm lovin' emu oil...just trying not too think too much about what it's made out of!! :wacko: Emu oil is helping so much with the extra dryness and it also seems to help relieve some of the redness on my face, so I'm going to keep using it on spots where I'm breaking out. People say it helps reduce scarring and red marks as well...hmm...I've only been using it for like a week (or less) so I can't really say for sure yet. I use moisturizer on top of emu oil and it actually helps my make up go on more smoothly. yay! :lol:

Accutane seems to be making me break out a little, especially around my chin area, plus all the super annoying whiteheads on my nose! I've read other people's logs and they say the whiteheads and blackheads just fall out eventually...waiting patiently for that day to come! :) Like I said before, at least I'm glad that actives are drying out faster than usual, and today I also noticed that my face doesn't really get super oily throughout the day either! yayayayayayay!!! :lol: I'm so used to blotting my face with a tissue every few hours for fear of looking oily, and I didn't blot all afternoon and looked fine! :D

My mood seems to be ok, although I must admit I cried for a few minutes last Friday because of the IB, but then I just went through the before and after pics and reminded myself that things will get better soon. ;)

My skin feels a bit itchy at times, but this kinda goes away if I moisturize. My scalp is still a bit itchy, and I've started using head & shoulders, but might try jojoba oil or a new shampoo soon. I tried putting a little bit of emu oil and massaging it into my scalp (the pamphlet with instructions says it can be used on hair too), but it felt a bit weird and oily, so I'm just gonna use that on my skin.

My nose is fine during the day, but it starts feeling super dry at night, especially right after I wash my face at night. Weird. :doh: hahaha...anyway, I just have to put some nasal lubricant gel in there, and then I feel fine.

Gonna go visit the derm in a week! I'm hoping the IB dies down by December cuz I'll be traveling to visit family & friends, and don't want my skin to be even worse than how they remember it to be!

Edited by (-_-)

oh my goodness, i had exactly the same problem with u about teh whiteheads on teh nose around that same time. (i think i'm only like a week or two before u ) anyway ya.. i resisted it for about a week and i couldnt resist it anymore and..... scraped teh whiteheads out -___- (but i did it by first steaming my face, then using the whitehead extractor... then I iced it and put neosporin on it). but I woudlnt recommend it cuz my nose was red for a while :P

anyway, rest assured, the whiteheads all dissapeared the beginning of this week for me (week 5 complete) after being there for a stubborn 2 weeks haha.

and i don't know if this is right but i put aquaphor around teh edges of my nose. it helps sooth the cracked skin

cheeseblu: Thanks for the encouragement and for letting me know that the whiteheads will soon go away! ;) I'll try putting a bit of aquaphor on the dry areas...so far I've just been using aquaphor on my lips and not on the rest of my skin.

Day 24

a;sldfj sld jlsf;lsljf asdf l;fs :wacko: My face hasn't looked THIS BAD in quite a while. :( I got 2 cysts above one of my eyebrows and it seems like something is starting to form between my eyebrows!!!! I'm not the type of person who usually breaks out on my forehead nor cheeks, most of it has usually been around my chin area (since breakouts are hormonal for me). This is quite frustrating, but at the same time, I just constantly keep reminding myself that I'll have clear skin by my birthday in March! :)

Edited by (-_-)

Day 28

Wow...it's almost been a month! So, I visited the derm for the 2nd time yesterday and he just asked me how I felt, other than dryness, I've been ok, and my blood tests are ok, so he decided to increase my dosage. :shock:

Now I'm getting a little scared. :blink: Well, I started with 40 mg daily, and now my derm wants me to take 40 mg and alternate with 80 mg every other day. I guess I haven't had any severe IB yet and my constant moisturizing has helped the dryness...I should just calm down and trust my derm. ;)

I felt like something was forming right around my right cheekbone yesterday and it seems to have gone away overnight! yay! :) Other than that, things have been calming down a bit from my IB and the old zits are drying up and going away.

I need to take another blood test this week but it's the dreaded time of the month, and last month I got a blood test during this time and almost fainted! Not a good feeling at all...too much blood loss...aahh...hopefully I didn't gross y'all out. :P I'm gonna wait until next week to take my blood tests this time...

I have been having some strange food cravings though...I usually love eating fruits & veggies and now I'm constantly craving carbs! Maybe it's also cuz it's winter here and it's actually -15 out here in Canada today and my body just wants the carbs, might not have anything to do with accutane at all...haha.

Edited by (-_-)

congrats on one month down, feels like a great milestone :D hahhahah faster then it seems huh? :) good luck with your new dosage!!! I'm taking 60mg a day so it's kind of like ur dosage... except just the same everday. haha I know what you mean about the over night acne drying out thing though... its kinda crazy cuz before I took accutane, if i feel a bump coming up, i KNOW its gonna be there for the next week -____- lol. '

Day 30

Wohooo!! 4 months left! :banana: Skin is drying out a lot more now but thanks all the stuff I'm using, I've been relatively ok. Stuff I'm currently using includes: emu oil, aveeno moisturizer with spf (the calming one) tea tree shampoo, aquaphor, lots of moisturizer (I'm using aveeno for extra dry itchy skin), and nasal gel lubricant (for the inside of my nose...yeah gross, but it's been helping prevent nosebleeds :P)

I'm actually really happy today cuz the huge cyst above my eyebrow has disappeared (well it's flat and has dried out and flaked away) and the whiteheads on my nose are falling out AT LAST!!! omg...so happy :lol: I scrubbed my nose very gently in the shower today and felt things coming out...yay! It feels like I'm gonna get a new pimple on my chin but based on how things have been going I expect it to dry out really soon! :)

Edited by (-_-)

Day 34

I'm really happy with how things are going so far! I remember feeling upset last week, but things have definitely been improving since then! ;) I only have one active cyst on my chin and a few small bumps. Everything else has dried out or has completely dried out and flaked away! hurray! :lol:

I was in a rush to go to work the other day, and didn't moisturize my whole body...boy was that a mistake! Within a few hours, I could feel a really intense itching sensation and when I looked at my arm it was getting kinda red...I think it was eczema? Thankfully that went away the next day..I'll never forget to moisturize again!!!!

Another weird thing that is possibly, and most likely accutane related is my mood! I've been going nutso...super moody, and I cry over little things...although I'm definitely not depressed...just super sensitive. :wacko: My fiance must think I've gone wacko...fortunately he's really patient and he always makes me laugh. :lol: Last week, I cried watching TV, I cried because I got a pimple, and then (silliest of all) I cried because my fiance had eaten chocolate at work and hadn't saved one for me! :doh: Oh man...at least I start laughing after I realize that my crying is really silly. :rolleyes:

Day 37

Hmm...I'm getting eczema on my hands and there was a little bit on my leg the other day too....it's so red and itchy! :( I'm going to try to moisturize more, and hopefully that helps! Other than the eczema, things are all right I guess...

Hi everyone,

I just started taking accutane yesterday and I'm a bit scared about it. My derm recommended it because I've tried other topical meds and antibiotics without much success. However, I've seen some pictures that show dramatic improvement and I'm feeling hopeful. ;)

A little bit about me:

I'm a 25 year old female who has had acne for about 10 years. People always told me not too worry too much about it as a teenager, because they said it would eventually go away once I was an adult....apparently it didn't. :cry: Anyway...just like many of you, I've tried all sorts of topicals: salicilic acid, benzyl peroxide, benzaclin, differin, the clinique 3 step thingie, minocycline, retin-a, tea tree oil, changing my diet, and more! :confused: My acne isn't super severe, I don't get huge painful cysts all the time, usually just smaller ones around that dreaded time of the month, and some smaller red bumps and whiteheads. What is bugging me though is that my acne is scarring and it's really obvious because I'm really fair skinned and scar easily. I also have bacne and nothing seems to work on that at all! Some of the topicals helped my face a bit, but haven't helped with my bacne. :(

I can't believe it's taken me THIS LONG (almost 10 years) to finally go see a derm and consider taking accutane. I've been so scared of the side effects that I never really gave it much thought, but I recently got engaged and decided it's finally time to do something about my skin. I mean, the acne on my face bugs me, but at least it can kind of be covered up by make up, but my back???!!! I guess I could also put make up on my back, but it would look dreadful and ruin my wedding dress if any of the makeup smeared onto the white dress. :( Well...we're not getting married until the summer of 2012, so I'm going to try to remain positive and be hopeful that my skin will look good by then!

Apart from the wedding, I also know that acne is definitely affecting my lifestyle and self confidence. I try to avoid going to social events or places where I'll have to talk to lots of people I don't know if my face is looking bad and I've also become one of those people who can't leave the house without makeup on....never thought I'd be like that, and I really wish I didn't have to hide my face, but I don't feel comfortable or confident enough not to hide my scars and blemishes. :( I've also avoided activities like swimming and choose clothing that doesn't reveal too much of my back, because of my bacne.

Fortunately, I've been blessed with family members who are supportive and don't blame me for the problem nor tell me that I have acne because I don't wash my skin well or eat well...I've heard other people say things like that and it's awful! I think my family knows that my problem is probably hereditary, since my aunt and some of my cousins have also struggled with acne, and they understand what I'm going through. My fiancee is also very supportive, and I'm thankful for that too. He's one of those people who washes his face with regular soap, or even just water, doesn't moisturize, and doesn't use anything on his skin, and eats lots of junk food, and never really breaks out (hahaha...I'm soooo jealous!). However, he says he had pretty bad skin as a teenager, some painful cysts around his jawline and even some on his neck and back and chest, so he completely understands how I feel and I feel comfortable enough not to be paranoid or self conscious around him.

Day 1 was ok...I'm putting on lots of lotion because my skin is super sensitive and I'm worried about it getting too dry. :P

Hey I started aswell so ill be happy to check up on your log, you should check on mine too, hopefully we both come out of this Acne Free (:

Edited by TylerSMW

I'm glad you have such a supportive significant other! That is really a great thing to have while going through this stressful experience.

Also, I know what you mean about forgetting to moisturize! I forgot today after I had shaved my legs in the shower and uhhhh yeahhha lll day my legs were itching so bad!