Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cdotboi

Question about my Accutane prescription

Hi

I was prescribed Accutane back in high school when I used to get severe acne on my face. I don't remember what the dosage was, but I think it was 40 mg/twice a day. I am now 25 years old and recently began to experience the horrors of acne again. I haven't been getting it as bad on my face, but every so often, I will get a bad breakout.

The problem now is my chest and back, it is pretty bad but not totally out of control. I went to my dermatologist, who said he would prescribe me a 'low dosage' of Accutane so that I wouldn't suffer (hopefully) many of the nasty side effects. He told me to take 40 mg, twice a day, twice a week. So I take 40 mg Monday morning, 40 mg Monday night, 40 mg Tues morning then again at night. When I picked my prescription up, the pharmacist said he had never seen it prescribed like this before... Has anyone's derm or doctor ever done this for them? I am just curious about the results.

Thanks

It's uncommon, but not unheard of. I haven't been on a low dose course of accutane, but from what I've seen around here, it takes a long time to see results and the initial breakout is really drawn out. If i were you I would opt for 40mg/day for the next month and just deal with it.