Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Emily12345

Acne and Facials (with squeezing)

Hi. I have acne and I go to do facials often. What the person does is he takes a needle and punctures the pimple and squeezes out the puss that's inside. I've been reading elsewhere that you should never squeeze pimples because it leaves scars. So should I stop going for the facials or is the method of puncturing first safe?? I'm really worried because I was told this method prevents scarring but I'm just not sure. I think I'm also starting to see tiny holes on my face (but my mother says that's all in my head cuz she doesn't see anything). HELP PLEASE!!

how bad is your acne? i'm currently in school to be an esthetician and its made me break out severely because we have to practice facials/treatments on each other in class...only prescription products from a derm have ever cleared me up; not facials/chemical peels/micro-make it worse but alot of people do get results from them just not me; lancing a pimple that is ready to burst is fine as long as it is prepped to be popped and then disinfected; not using the same needle to lance other pimples but if u aren't seeing any improvenments go to a derm cause ur just wasting ur money on facials that maybe making u worse ;)

I see no harm in popping a pimple that is ready to be popped. Aslong as it is kept clean.

Scarring appears when you don't do it correctly, and it gets re-infected. How severe is your condition?

What products do you use on your skin, there are many products out there to help prevent/reduce scarring...

Good luck, awaiting you response.

Luka

I recently had a facial where they extracted a lot of inflamed acne. It didn't really seem to help. Nothing healed faster than usual, and a lot of the squeezed ones turned into cysts. They might've turned into cysts anyway, but I'll never know. It seemed to be a lot of pain for nothing.

I think that properly done extractions are good because it clears the clog or plug out of the pore before it festers into a big, inflamed zit that might leave a scar. If a pimple is ready to be popped, I think it is best to pop it and extract it with a sanitized needle and extractor tool. If they are ready to be popped and the tools are clean there should be no problem.

I see no harm in popping a pimple that is ready to be popped. Aslong as it is kept clean.

Scarring appears when you don't do it correctly, and it gets re-infected. How severe is your condition?

What products do you use on your skin, there are many products out there to help prevent/reduce scarring...

Good luck, awaiting you response.

Luka

Okay thanks so much for your help!! I hope the person that's doing mine is doing it correctly! I think my acne is bad. I wouldn't say severe because I've seen pictures of people who have it worse than I do. I get a lot of cysts though and there is one that's on my cheek that is extremely persistent and no matter how many times it is popped and the puss is squeezed out the thing just keeps coming back. In the past I used Pro Active but then it stopped working. Right now I'm using Neutrogena and that's not working either. Do you have a name for any of the products that reduce scarring?

Thanks to everyone else for your advice and help!

Edited by Emily12345

Emily, after next time it is popped or even just lanced, try putting a bandaid soaked in povidone iodine on it. Iodine is very, very good at penetrating skin and killing bacteria and fungus. Povidone iodine is good because it won't stain your skin like regular iodine will-but if you don't mind the yellowish stain that will last a few days you could use regular iodine too.

I have had cysts and nodules literally disappear over night after I lanced them with a sterile needle and then applied lots of povidone iodine and let it penetrate in.

I've also had success with Mercuroclear- it is a clear antiseptic that you can get at the drug store, it is usually right next to iodine on the shelf, and it is really good too-and absolutely clear in color.

Iodine can irritate the pore and many are allergic to iodine. It's best to use just plain old polysporin and a bandaid or even just petroleum jelly. Cleanse before applying anything.

Polysporin, Neosporin, and plain petroleum jelly never did anything for me except plug more pores and make a bigger breakout. Not everyone can use petroleum based products on acne prone skin.

Polysporin, Neosporin, and plain petroleum jelly never did anything for me except plug more pores and make a bigger breakout. Not everyone can use petroleum based products on acne prone skin.

Interesting. They're not comedogenic.

Yeah. Skin is weird huh. For me personally, lots of things deemed and/or labelled "non-comedogenic" still plug my pores-especially when they contain petroleum or parabens .

For years I followed my dermatologists' advice and used products marked noncomedogenic believing that they would not break me out. When I continued to break out worse and worse, I of course didn't attribute it to the products I was using since the doctors said they were ok. When I finally figured it out and stopped using them, my skin mellowed out big time

Hey, well I recommend this product alot, *SUDOCREM* it had worked wonders for me. It's cheap and effective in most cases.

After popping your pimple, you could always try running an ice-cube over it for 5-10minute to help reduce redness/swelling, then apply the sudocrem. I think my review on sudocem has been approved, I went into a lot of detail about the effects of it.

Goood luck :)