Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, just thought Id post my story on here. I'm almost 20 in college and have never been so depressed. At the moment I have given up all medications and topicals for over a year, just using ACV on the face. I'm suffering from moderate acne with scarring and a RED FACE. This bothers me the most, as I'm sure the medications caused it.

I used differin, retin-a, antibiotics, for over a year. My derm also gave me this cream because my skin was dry, Desonide. I thought it was just a moisturizer, and had used it twice a day for I don't remeber how long, maybe a year. I have recently read about steroid induced rosacea and think I have developed it.

I regret ever going to a derm, I feel that most know nothing at all and that its just a business that sucks you in for life. If I could go back 2 years, I would have never taken any medication or topical, just natural methods. I know my face is completely ruined, probably for life. I look at my senior picture from high school and it makes me sick, I had virtually clear skin nice and tan. Now I have much more severe acne, scarring, and a bright red face. I cry myself to sleep every night, I feel so bad for my parents that their child is so miserable. I wish I would have done some quick research before starting any meds, but I didn't think at all. I feel my life is over, i'll never be happy. So yeah... i guess thats it, not sure what else to say.

Don't base your happiness on whether or no you have clear skin. It's depressing but tons of people fall into that trap. Not only is my skin ruined from medications, my digestion is just horrible. I'm deficient in all kinds of vitamins and I feel sick all the time. If you move on toward getting clear (if you haven't already) and starting on some kind of scar treatment/redmark treatment you will feel better about yourself. If you don't see results right away, keep yourself motivated to stick with it anyway. The times in my life when I had the worst acne and scarring I was always unmotivated. When I ate crappy and didn't exercise, I got acne.

While most people will eventually pay for prescription use in the long run, it is beneficial to some and that is why the dermatologist do it. It's not like you can go into a professional doctor's office (unless you go to a nauturopath) and have them tell you to change your diet or exercise more. Everybody is different and the doctor's only know that their prescriptions can help almost everybody to some degree even if it is for a short period of time. Most people don't care because being acne-free means the world to them and they don't think about any long-term effects.

I know what you mean... but every dermatologist is different. I've had some who just walk in, start scribbling and prescribing a bunch of products, and you can tell they either care more about the money or just rather be dealing with other aspects of their field.

Then there are those that are super cool and understanding, the kind that will come into the room and are immediately ready to listen to you, often prescribing the medication I'm requesting without hesitation when I tell them the regimen works for me and I have no interest in any further experimenting.

Basically, my advice would be to get multiple opinions whenever you can, and not buy into any given doctor's recommendations just because they have a title. Some are smarter, more caring, etc. than others and you have to find one that's on the same page with you. Not easy, though.

What natural methods would you have done? Bottom line, there aren't any that are effective or any that even work in the slightest. Otherwise, somebody would have figured it out by now and nobody would ever have to suffer with acne or scarring. At the end of the day, you made the right choice going to see a Derm. Some can be scumbags, and that's the unfortunate aspect of the game...but you can't let one person ruin how you think of something. This is advice I could take and use myself, but I at least know it's true. Go back to your family doctor, or whoever, and ask to see a new one.

After I just got my chemical peeling (+Vitamin E & Facial Cleaning - Yes, pricking each acne). Oh my god, it's almost the same, nothing changed. They just wasted my 25$. I don't know what to do, and I was like "OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSHH!".

I feel like the dermatologists there just wants money. They kept recommending stupid products.