Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bornunderabadsign

Anybody done the tca 25% peel?

Let me hear from you guys who have done the tca 25% peel and how your skin responded. Redmarks, brown marks, pitted scars and anything else you can tell me. How long is the down time? How much time do you take between each time you use it? Has anybody had bad results like damaging the skin even though you can buy it and its supposed to be a safe peel. thanks for any info.

i did one in july, worst thing i could have done. had 5 weeks of downtime, big red/pink patches and can safetly say ill never do one again

I'm glad you told us this AlPacino, I was definetly going to do a 25% TCA peel next week but now I will just do a 12.5% TCA peel.

Thats alot of downtime but if theres results its worth it cause it never seems to work both ways. Treatments that work give downtime. But thanks for letting me know. I planned on watering it down and working my way up til I understand how it all works with my skin.

but that was just me it might be ok for you. i had prepared myself for 3 weeks dowtime max. i started on the 5th july, started peeling by the 9th and was completely peeled by the 14th. however i had two big red patches where the peel has come oiff prematurely. this is when i started to shit myself thinking i had ruined my face and wish i had just left alone. it took two weeks for the patches to die down and then i had an outbreak, was kind of expecting one. it has helped my scars a bit but if i was to ever do something like this again it would be to scar treat as oppossed to the whole face. and let me tell you 5 weeks of not exiting the house will drive you nuts

I hear you. I'll probably go with the 12.5 instead and decide if anything more will be ok. Ive got very tough skin, it takes alot it seems to make my skin get good results. But I'll start light and maybe that will do the job, if not I'll increase. Thanks for the advice and info.

I would never try a 25% TCA on my skin, - glycolics are safer but once you start treading the TCA waters you are looking for trouble...This is why doctors perform this stuff..to monitor your skin and how it reacts, to knowing when to neutralize the acid so you dont burn your face, to the PH level - very important - the ph level determines the acidity and the lower the ph the more burn!! Also, docs know hot to treat your skin post- procedure to heal better.Plus, do you really know what you're getting?

There are certain things that are more risky - hey, I know derms can be expensive but its not worth the scarring

I am looking into a 35% - have an appointment with the derm this month.

bb_icon_redface.gif

Guest Scorpioness

I did a 17% peel and it really didn't do much of anything for my skin other than mildly lighten pigmentation. The downtime was about 6-7 days. I would still do it again to help with pigmentation down the road.

RosyGirl,

Welcome.

TCA doesn't need to be neutralized and is very safe at about 12.5% and under. I wouldn't go near a 35% full-face peel if I were you. There is a risk of semi-permanent hyperpigmentation and scarring with TCA peels of 35% and above, even when performed by a physician. 25% is the most anyone should do, and even that can be risky. A couple people on this board have stubborn marks because of it.

My 25% peel (by my derm) gave me very poor results and "re-activated" my acne

Once my adult onset acne was under control - I did a series of 3 TCA peels (by my derm) to lessen the hyperpigmentation and hopefully improve the overall clarity of my skin. He did a test patch behind my ear 2 months prior to the 1st peel. In October. 2003 I had a 15% peel with a few swipes of 20 on the darker areas. Minimal peeling, no "real" downtime, had slightly brighter skin as a result. (visible in 3 weeks). In December, I had a 20% peel - again no "real" downtime, my skin scaled 2 days later for about 3 days, was pink underneath. I wouldn't have wanted to go to a party - but felt I looked ok enough to see a movie-go to the grocery store, etc. Skin seemed brighter and more refined (smoother) 2 weeks after. I had my 3rd peel in late January 2004 - this time it was a 25%. I began scaling 2 days afterward - I didn't look great - but not horrendous either. I scaled for 3-4 days - skin was very pink underneath and felt sunburned; especially - the patches of skin between my eyes and scalp and my upper cheekbones. About 2 weeks after the peel, the breakouts began. Thinking it was purging - I hoped for it to get better. By week 6, I had major acne along my jawline and the lower half of my face. I also had new hyperpigmentation in the aforementioned eye-cheekbone area. The "new" acne (thanks to a new regime of retin a & mino) is getting better but has not gone away completely. And the hyperpigmentation remains. I am hoping that IPL will get rid of it without resulting in purging. Sorry this is so long - hth -

Guest Tracy

You know, it's funny you should say that because I did a TCA peel and afterwards, after about three years of not breaking out, I'm breaking out again on my jawline and chin.

Here's a pic:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...&cmd=si&img=415

I wonder what's up with that and if TCA did, in fact, re-activate my acne? Cause as you can see from that pic....I had no active acne at the time that I did it. And it's odd, too....cause it's only in that area (the jawline/chin). bb_eusa_think.gif

Guest ObiWontonKenoli
You know, it's funny you should say that because I did a TCA peel and afterwards, after about three years of not breaking out, I'm breaking out again on my jawline and chin.

Here's a pic:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...&cmd=si&img=415

I wonder what's up with that and if TCA did, in fact, re-activate my acne? Cause as you can see from that pic....I had no active acne at the time that I did it. And it's odd, too....cause it's only in that area (the jawline/chin). bb_eusa_think.gif

Guest Tracy

Wow. That's a trip. Also, I read this:

Dealing with infection preventatively is key here. For non-buffered glycolic acid and more commonly TCA peels, the use of antiviral medication (herpes cold sore prevention) started before the peel is performed is very helpful. The use of antibiotics is sometimes also used.

So it seems like we've re-infected that area? I just find it odd that it seems to be concentrated on the jawline area. bb_eusa_think.gif

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I think probably (in my opinion) that are may be the most oily and porous?

Also its the most area where you got most possible exposure to contamination (like how often do you wash your jaw/chin after you eat, especially soup? Most people just wipe their chin and think it's clean).

I don't know...a far fetch theory from yours truly.

Guest Scorpioness

It's pretty common to get breakouts during a TCA peel. I remember Imbue talking about how she had to take antibiotics druing her peel to prevent breakouts. Olive leaf extract works well, as long as it's followed up with probiotics (as with any antibiotic).

Guest Scorpioness

By the way, olive leaf can be also used to prevent and treat herpes, it is listed as one of its uses.

Guest Tracy
It's pretty common to get breakouts during a TCA peel.

Guest Scorpioness

I'm not sure Tracy. I've read on quite a few websites about how TCA can stimulate cold sores (which can occur all over the face) and acne, but none of them said why. Maybe Imbue knows.