Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, I have not gone a week without picking for the last four or so years. I am seventeen years old. I know that my skin looks infinitely better after I stop picking for a few days but I still go back to my old ways. The urge to seemingly rid myself of the white pus that is removed after picking is too strong. I read up on the article about how to stop, i have made a chart to moniter myself and i have one or two days go without picking; but then i pick twenty+ zits. And I only do it for the white pus to come out. Can anyone recommend a competing behavior so that I do not pick again? I tried bubble wrap but it didn't work. Breathing and relaxation doesn't help either. It seems to be soley removing white crap from my entire body. Please help

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

You need to do something that keeps your hands AND your mind busy. For me, going to the gym/working out, playing card games (Solitaire is my game of choice), and playing guitar helps keep my mind off of picking.

You should also try to keep away from mirrors as much as possible. Don't look in them when you don't absolutely need to. I don't usually leave the house on weekends, so I don't really look in the mirror then other than when I'm cleansing.

Thank you :) I will certainly try this. I think the gym/workout will suit me best, and it kills two birds with one stone lol.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

You need to do something that keeps your hands AND your mind busy. For me, going to the gym/working out, playing card games (Solitaire is my game of choice), and playing guitar helps keep my mind off of picking.

You should also try to keep away from mirrors as much as possible. Don't look in them when you don't absolutely need to. I don't usually leave the house on weekends, so I don't really look in the mirror then other than when I'm cleansing.

Thank you :) I will certainly try this. I think the gym/workout will suit me best, and it kills two birds with one stone lol.

If you are unhappy with your skin at the moment, hold off on going to the gym and work out at home or outside (if it's warm enough!) because you don't want to be working out while stressing out over your skin. I'm used to going out looking like crap with my skin at the gym, so I'm able to go without it causing too much stress on me, but maybe wait a while for that.

True, that is a good point. I already have so much stress already, five college level classes in highschool, college applications, college scholarships, dance, work. I know everyone had their own stress, but i feel like working out, which being in bad shape already adds to the stress, wont be so bad once i am done with my college applications. But is there any competitive response to "cleansing" my skin of the white pus?

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

If you are unhappy with your skin at the moment, hold off on going to the gym and work out at home or outside (if it's warm enough!) because you don't want to be working out while stressing out over your skin. I'm used to going out looking like crap with my skin at the gym, so I'm able to go without it causing too much stress on me, but maybe wait a while for that.

True, that is a good point. I already have so much stress already, five college level classes in highschool, college applications, college scholarships, dance, work. I know everyone had their own stress, but i feel like working out, which being in bad shape already adds to the stress, wont be so bad once i am done with my college applications. But is there any competitive response to "cleansing" my skin of the white pus?

I'm not sure what would replace the act of picking, so can't help you there. But maybe you could try exercise tapes? Or if you have a gym at your high school see if you can use it (since you pretty much know everyone there, won't be as stressful maybe). Exercise really does help though. I used to be very out of shape, and quite heavy (190 pounds and I'm 5'7!). Exercise makes me feel much better, more relaxed, and aids with my moods. Plus I can watch my crush exercise, which is always awesome. Eye candy while getting in shape? Yum!

LOl sounds like a good deal. I have a plan to finish my college apps by december 1st and then to start a workout regimen. So we will see how it goes. I think the biggest thing though is keeping my hands busy. So maybe a stress ball or something of that nature. I will see. . ..

You talk about having 20+ zits and the urge to get rid of the pus. It sounds like you have a really inflammatory kind of acne that could be helped by seeing a dermatologist. Doing nothing may not be the best course of action. Also it may be almost impossible since I think it's universally normal to feel the need to get rid of visible pus. At your age you can still avoid scarring and taking perscription meds may help that. Plus at your age you may still outgrow acne so it really makes sense to be on something that gets you over this phase, if possible. Don't deny yourself this option. Have you tried Dan's regime? Have you tried antibiotics? Just think how nice it would feel to be going through the major changes of this time in your life without having to think too much about your skin! See a dermatologist or your regular doctor.

I speak from experience...I tried going "natural" in caring for my acne and just put myself through many years of misery. Now that I'm under a doctor's care my acne is so much better...actually almost gone.

Plus you don't want to get into a habit of picking your skin. If you can be on an effective program now then you won't be as likely to habitually pick. That said, after you get on meds, you'll still need to find a way to relieve your stress. Anything physical like swimming, sports, etc is helpful, as well as hobbies like painting or music that take the mind off the body.

I am currently on Dan's regimen. I dance regularly. The problem is that I get angry and frustrated with someone, even myself, and rather than taking it out on them, i take it out on myself and i "pick the anger away." Its an awful habit and I can stop for three or four days, but then I break and have a bad day. The regimen is doing wonders, as long as I stay on it and stop picking. I just skip one time because I am late for something and then I get angry for not doing what I am supposed to be doing, and then I pick. I just need to get ahold of my life a little better so that I can put taking care of myself as a higher priority.

NO luck. . . things always seem to become derailed by one thing and then it just snowballs into a really bad day. I really need to take life a day at a time. I think thats going to be the best manner in which to do it. I just can't fix everything i want to fix, and unfortunately i have unrealistic expectations regarding myself. I guess i just need to slow down and take things one thing at a time. hope things get better

Tiny zits? That's what i have. Avoid looking in the mirrors. Spend less time looking. After you wash your face wait at least 5 mins before looking otherwise your face may look red. Be quick with your moisturiser and if you're indoors most of the day then go outside more often.

College really helps for me since my mind is being totally taken off my skin. Apart from looking in the mirrors during intervals. I would stare and ponder but wouldn't do anything which is excellent! I would think I don't need to touch those tiny little zits since there's no point in that. I know my face is weak. If I touch them it would only inflame my skin and be deadly embarrassing when I go to classes. So whenever you get that urge boiling up inside you think of these kind of thoughts and try to think logically. When you're under a habit you don't realise it but make yourself realise by stopping and pondering. :)

I haven't been sqweesing my face for about 3 weeks now and my skin has improved a lot! I have mild scars now but my skin is weak. That's like stage two for me now - solving my scars.

I haven't been a complete saint of the whole of those 3 weeks but I have sqweesed a few. But not over doing it but very gently. Even as I was soo gentle the spot pops and leaves that spot's skin slightly open, a cut and small red dots appears. So I realised it looked better before I sqweesed it!