Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insane Badger

Anyone know how to reduce or at least cover up an oily nose?

So basically my nose gets really oily during the day. Like REALLY oily. Like REALLY REALLY oily. My nose is back to full shine within 2 hours after washing it. Even if I use those oil blotting sheets (which I use everyday), my oil comes back full force within 30 mins to an hour. Even after I blot my face, I still look shinier than 90% of the rest of the kids in my class. I was just wondering if anybody had some tips or tricks to reducing or covering up oil on the face? I've tried oil-free foundation and powder, but these too stop working after about 30 mins to an hour. Anything else? This has been a real problem for me, as I am blotting my face every class period.

I use Clean & Clear foaming cleanser (2% SA) in the morning, followed by some oil-free Aveeno moisturizer and sometimes Neutrogena alcohol-free toner. Blot all day with the blotting sheets. At night I use Clean & Clear 10% BP facewash, and exfoliate with St Ives Apricot Scrub every other day. I also use some sort of astrigent every other day at night (forget the brand).

Also, I've tried putting on 10% BP spot treatment cream (Clearisil I think) on the tip of my nose, but like everything else, this too lasts only for about 45 mins.

Help anyone?

So basically my nose gets really oily during the day. Like REALLY oily. Like REALLY REALLY oily. My nose is back to full shine within 2 hours after washing it. Even if I use those oil blotting sheets (which I use everyday), my oil comes back full force within 30 mins to an hour. Even after I blot my face, I still look shinier than 90% of the rest of the kids in my class. I was just wondering if anybody had some tips or tricks to reducing or covering up oil on the face? I've tried oil-free foundation and powder, but these too stop working after about 30 mins to an hour. Anything else? This has been a real problem for me, as I am blotting my face every class period.

I use Clean & Clear foaming cleanser (2% SA) in the morning, followed by some oil-free Aveeno moisturizer and sometimes Neutrogena alcohol-free toner. Blot all day with the blotting sheets. At night I use Clean & Clear 10% BP facewash, and exfoliate with St Ives Apricot Scrub every other day. I also use some sort of astrigent every other day at night (forget the brand).

Also, I've tried putting on 10% BP spot treatment cream (Clearisil I think) on the tip of my nose, but like everything else, this too lasts only for about 45 mins.

Help anyone?

I used to have this, would be a slick after about 30 mins, and had this for 25 years, I never grew out of it. I had tried all sorts, now I'm pretty much oil slick free.

The main thing that helped over time for me was a healthy low GL diet, high in healthy veg, lots of broccoli, sweet potatoes, carrots etc (this took half a year or so). The only other things that have helped were Accutane and B5, which have their side effects, so do a serious investigation before considering those. Nothing topical has ever helped (apart from some things having a mattifying effect, but they didn't actually stop the production of oil).

you may want to try very lightly applying a thin layer of Milk of Magnesium on your nose, it should help keep the oil at bay for a little while longer.

Dont cut back on vegetables (unless talking about higher GI ones like potatoes), thats the worse thing you can do. Heavily increase the amount of healthy vegetables is the best policy for reducing oil (it will take a wee while, but it will work).

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

What limits/curbs my oiliness (including nose): proper moisturization.

The less I moisturize, the oilier I get.

Try testing that theory scientifically with Sebutape test-strips, and report your results here! :think: There definitely have been other posters in this forum who said that the use moisturizers on their skin had absolutely no effect at all on how much oil they produced. I think you'd find the same thing, if only you were to test that theory scientifically.

What limits/curbs my oiliness (including nose): proper moisturization.

The less I moisturize, the oilier I get.

Try testing that theory scientifically with Sebutape test-strips, and report your results here! :think: There definitely have been other posters in this forum who said that the use moisturizers on their skin had absolutely no effect at all on how much oil they produced. I think you'd find the same thing, if only you were to test that theory scientifically.

She's only stating what works for her. (That's why I bolded the words)She never said it was scientifically proven.

Have a nice day! :)

Help anyone?

I also have very oily skin and I have found that washing my face with a gentle cleanser, using the bp and then moisturizing twice a day has helped. I still use blotting pads a couple times a day, but it's way better! Over scrubbing my face or using to many products on it made it way worse. I think because over doing it made my face produce way more oil instead of less. Hope this helps a bit!

She's only stating what works for her. (That's why I bolded the words)She never said it was scientifically proven.

Yes, I'm well aware that she claimed that it worked for her. And once again I suggest that she test it on herself scientifically. I think she'll be surprised by the results.

Over scrubbing my face or using to many products on it made it way worse. I think because over doing it made my face produce way more oil instead of less.

I'm not sure about "using too many products", but over-scrubbing your face has been soundly disproved as a factor in oil production.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I think what bryan does is great.

These myths concerning excessive oil production need to die. And the only way they can is by understanding the way the sebaceous glands work.

I for one am tired of people saying that over washing your skin causes the sebaceous glands to go into over drive which causes oily skin.

Or that using jojoba mimics sebum and somehow "tricks" our oil glands to produce less and balances our skin.

People go out and waste their money and time thinking their oily skin will be helped, and it wont.

Sebum production IS NOT influenced by external factors like over washing or moisturization.

Over washing will dry the crap out of your skin but it wont effect sebum production.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Do you think I give a rat's ass about the science behind it?

No, you evidently don't give a rat's ass about very much that has to do with science. I find that very unfortunate.

My skin is dehydrated. It is oily on the surface, dry underneath, and when I moisturize I am significantly less oily. That's enough evidence for me to show that moisturizing helps to reduce my oil in whatever way it does. I don't care HOW, or WHY.

And again I'm telling you that if you test that theory more scientifically, I doubt you'll find that your skin is less oily when you moisturize. If _I_ can do such tests and post the results for everyone to see, why can't you? :)

Seriously, is this all you do? Reply to someone's anecdotal evidence of what has personally worked for them and try and bully them by basically attempting to make them look stupid by stating their OPINION and experience (which is often shared by other people as well) is invalid because they are not testing the science behind it?

I don't care very much about other people's opinions on rather technical matters, especially when it comes to matters like this (like how much oil is on the skin), in which there's a lot of room for false, mistaken impressions and invalid observations. Why do you think that so many doctors, even, had jumped to a false conclusion about the way that sebum is produced by the sebaceous glands, until Kligman and Shelley finally disproved it with a careful and thorough series of experiments in 1958? If even doctorscould make such a mistake, do you really find it so unusual that posters on an acne forum could also make similar mistakes? :lol:

Last time I checked, this is not the research section, nor was the OP asking for scientifically-driven recommendations. I've heard many people state that using moisturizer or moisturizing products, even, if they were not using acne-based products beforehand, benefited their skin in numerous ways.

I'm not doubting or challenging the posssibility that a moisturizer can benefit someone's skin in some particular fashion, I'm challenging the very specific claim you're making that it (supposedly) has an effect on the production of sebum. I've tested other very similar theories myself, and posted the results for everybody to see; why can't you do the same? :dance:

Let's put it simply and politely:

The sebaceous glands don't have sensors; they can't tell if the skin is dry or not. They don't possess a feedback mechanism for increasing oil production based on oil on surface of skin or products applied. Medications and hormonal imbalances can alter oil production in either direction, depending on medication. For instance, Accutane reduces oil production and lithium puts it in hyperdrive.

They're not like sweat glands which respond to body temp in a complicated way. Topicals may give the appearance (not the fact) of oil reduction because they may help with the viscosity of the sebum.

Blotting papers! :D

Oh, and jojoba "mimics" sebum because its composition is extremely similar to that of our own sebum. It can "trick" the sebaceous glands into getting the signal that they have produced enough sebum for that time because of what is already on the skin. May not be scientific enough for you, but that is the gist of what every website states about jojoba oil. And I doubt anyone on this forum besides you and byran care as to whether it's scientifically based or not.

The idea that jojoba oil reduces sebum production by "mimicking" sebum is preposterous. As I've pointed out a number of times in the past, I suppose it's not absolutely out of the question that jojoba oil reduces sebum in the first place, but if it does that at all, it would do it by having a drug-like effect on the underlying sebaceous galands; there might be a chemical in jojoba oil that has an antiandrogenic effect, for example, or acts as a 5a-reductase inhibitor. Let's be very careful about the specific claims we make.

Very...interesting...conversations we have going on here.

Anyways, I've cut down on exfoliants (twice a day to once 2-3 days), along with other acne products that make me feel like I putting too much shit on my face. Haven't seen much of a difference ye,t but then again I've only been doing this a week. One thing I have noticed, however, is that whenever I put large amounts of BP 10% on my face at night, my face is generally more oilier the next day.

Also, I tried this Cetaphil moisturizer I stole from my brother (because all of my moisturizers have shit in them; i.e. salicylic acid) and put it on over night. The next morning I woke up and I literally had a quarter centimeter-thick layer of grease/oil covering my face. It was pretty fucking disgusting, and I don't think I've ever had that much oil on my face ever (turned one of those blue blotting sheets completely clear after I put it up to my face). However, that day I did notice a slight decrease in oil production (took like 3 hrs after I washed my face for the oil to return instead of 1-2), so maybe Ashley was right about the whole sebum-sensory thing even though someone else said there is no scientific proof? I don't think I'm going to continue with the Cetaphil though, because I can only imagine how much pore-blockage I'm getting from that excess oil. Anyways, idk, thats just what happened to me.

Does anyone have any tips regarding something you could put on your face during the day that has a mattifying effect to help reduce shine?

Insane Badger try a powdr called, "Make Up Forever HD Powder"

Do a search online for it and read about it sounds good. It helps keep the skin matte and is undetectable on the skin.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape