Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AAV9186

Differin 0.3/Benzaclin/Doxycycline

I am new to this blog, but I wanted to share what I am experiencing right now. I went to the dermatologist two weeks ago because I kept getting stubborn breakouts along my jawline that were resistant to over-the-counter treatment and took forever to clear.

I was prescribed Differin 0.3 and Benzaclin at the time of my appointment. I ditched my old skincare products and started using these products exactly as she told me to. AM: Cetaphil cleanser, Benzaclin, and Cetaphil moisturizer. PM: Cetaphil cleanser, Differin, Cetaphil moisturizer.

In the first week of use, I didn't notice any new breakouts forming, and the breakout that was going on at the time seemed to heal fairly quickly. I am now in week two of my treatment, and my skin has started purging. Horribly. My skin is looking much worse than it did before. I called my dermatologist yesterday and she called in a prescription for doxycycline to be taken twice a day. I decided to get a jump start on the antibiotic and took one pill last night and took my first full dose today.

So far, the only good thing I can say about the Differin is that it at least heals acne lesions fairly quickly and helps to quickly erase nasty post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

I also should mention that I have been on a birth control pill for several months. I am currently taking Necon 1/35. For the first few months that I was on it, I had amazing skin. Not one single blemish for several months. However, my skin has been giving me quite a challenge recently which is what prompted me to go to the dermatologist in the first place.

This is really upsetting to me because I never had bad skin to begin with- just a few mild breakouts, which like I said before, seemed resistant to treatment. If anyone can relate or share a similar experience, I would love to hear it. I will also try to post on the blog regarding my progress as frequently as I can. Thanks.

I'm on a similar regimen, since I'm about to add Duac (pretty much the same as Benzaclin) too, so hopefully that'll give me faster results. I've also noticed that while my initial breakout was horrible (still recovering), the breakouts do heal themselves faster. Keep updating with your progress! I hope this works for you.

I'm on a similar regimen, since I'm about to add Duac (pretty much the same as Benzaclin) too, so hopefully that'll give me faster results. I've also noticed that while my initial breakout was horrible (still recovering), the breakouts do heal themselves faster. Keep updating with your progress! I hope this works for you.

How long did your initial breakout last? I'm almost starting to wish I had not gone to the derm in the first place because I generally would only get a few pimples- maybe 3 to 5 at the most. I have been using the derm's treatment plan for 2 weeks and 3 days, and I definitely have significant breakouts in my usual breakout spots. I'm hoping that the initial breakout phase will not last the supposed 8 weeks that it takes to see results. Hope you have luck with this as well, and please keep me udpated with how it is working for you.

i've been on differin 3.5 months so far. for me the initial breakout started around the 3rd week and lasted around a month. even after that i still broke out but not as bad. even now i still have some acne but no new acne is forming.

i'm giving it the recommended 4-6 months as opposed to just 3 months since a lot of people seem to be really satisfied with it after 6 months and those with complaints either gave it less than 3 months or ditched it at the 3 month mark because they weren't clear.

my face is improving just really slowly; its not really drying and i barely have any peeling even if i don't moisturize so i wonder if that's why my results have been slow. i'm just on differin nothing else and yes the beginning is hell but since you're on antibiotics and BP the initial but really not be that bad and you might see quicker results

i've been on differin 3.5 months so far. for me the initial breakout started around the 3rd week and lasted around a month. even after that i still broke out but not as bad. even now i still have some acne but no new acne is forming.

i'm giving it the recommended 4-6 months as opposed to just 3 months since a lot of people seem to be really satisfied with it after 6 months and those with complaints either gave it less than 3 months or ditched it at the 3 month mark because they weren't clear.

my face is improving just really slowly; its not really drying and i barely have any peeling even if i don't moisturize so i wonder if that's why my results have been slow. i'm just on differin nothing else and yes the beginning is hell but since you're on antibiotics and BP the initial but really not be that bad and you might see quicker results

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am hoping that since my acne was only fairly mild to begin with (or so I thought- now that these meds are "de-gunking" my pores, it seems that I had a lot of stuff lurking beneath the skin) that the initial breakout will go away soon.

How long did your initial breakout last? I'm almost starting to wish I had not gone to the derm in the first place because I generally would only get a few pimples- maybe 3 to 5 at the most. I have been using the derm's treatment plan for 2 weeks and 3 days, and I definitely have significant breakouts in my usual breakout spots. I'm hoping that the initial breakout phase will not last the supposed 8 weeks that it takes to see results. Hope you have luck with this as well, and please keep me udpated with how it is working for you.

Well, I was on tretinoin 0.05% for a few months before going on Differin, so my initial breakout was more from the tretinoin (which was horrible and lasted 3-4 months). But my IB from Differin started at week 3 and lasted about 2 weeks, and it was much more mild. I went on retinoids more for plugged comedones and whiteheads... and honestly my skin is still worse than where it was when I started, but it's definitely improving. I'm at week 8, but I just added Duac today, so I'll let you know if that makes a significant difference.

And I hear most people see results after 3-4 months, maybe more. I'm planning on giving it 6 months just to be sure.

Well, I was on tretinoin 0.05% for a few months before going on Differin, so my initial breakout was more from the tretinoin (which was horrible and lasted 3-4 months). But my IB from Differin started at week 3 and lasted about 2 weeks, and it was much more mild. I went on retinoids more for plugged comedones and whiteheads... and honestly my skin is still worse than where it was when I started, but it's definitely improving. I'm at week 8, but I just added Duac today, so I'll let you know if that makes a significant difference.

And I hear most people see results after 3-4 months, maybe more. I'm planning on giving it 6 months just to be sure.

i completely agree. man you go through the hardest period during those 3 months to just ditch all that seems like those 3 months would be in complete vain, especially considering that the medicine targets cell turnover as opposed to killing bacteria which is a bit different.

why did you switch from tretinoin to differin? i don't really know anything about other retinoids out there.

i completely agree. man you go through the hardest period during those 3 months to just ditch all that seems like those 3 months would be in complete vain, especially considering that the medicine targets cell turnover as opposed to killing bacteria which is a bit different.

why did you switch from tretinoin to differin? i don't really know anything about other retinoids out there.

From what I know, the three main types of topical retinoids out there are adapalene (Differin), tretinoin (Retin-A), and tazarotene (Tazorac). Adapalene is the usually mildest and tazarotene is often the strongest. I took it down a notch by switching from Tretinoin to Adapalene because the side effects were relentless, plus my acne had been fairly mild from the beginning (became fairly moderate during my IB with tretinoin though). Plus, different medications/concentrations work for different people... it really depends on the individual.

I am new to this blog, but I wanted to share what I am experiencing right now. I went to the dermatologist two weeks ago because I kept getting stubborn breakouts along my jawline that were resistant to over-the-counter treatment and took forever to clear.

I was prescribed Differin 0.3 and Benzaclin at the time of my appointment. I ditched my old skincare products and started using these products exactly as she told me to. AM: Cetaphil cleanser, Benzaclin, and Cetaphil moisturizer. PM: Cetaphil cleanser, Differin, Cetaphil moisturizer.

In the first week of use, I didn't notice any new breakouts forming, and the breakout that was going on at the time seemed to heal fairly quickly. I am now in week two of my treatment, and my skin has started purging. Horribly. My skin is looking much worse than it did before. I called my dermatologist yesterday and she called in a prescription for doxycycline to be taken twice a day. I decided to get a jump start on the antibiotic and took one pill last night and took my first full dose today.

So far, the only good thing I can say about the Differin is that it at least heals acne lesions fairly quickly and helps to quickly erase nasty post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

I also should mention that I have been on a birth control pill for several months. I am currently taking Necon 1/35. For the first few months that I was on it, I had amazing skin. Not one single blemish for several months. However, my skin has been giving me quite a challenge recently which is what prompted me to go to the dermatologist in the first place.

This is really upsetting to me because I never had bad skin to begin with- just a few mild breakouts, which like I said before, seemed resistant to treatment. If anyone can relate or share a similar experience, I would love to hear it. I will also try to post on the blog regarding my progress as frequently as I can. Thanks.

I am now going into week 3 of treatment. Not much has changed so far, although if I get a new pimple, it is significantly smaller than the ones I was getting previously. I don't want to say that I am at the end of the initial breakout, because I will probably jinx myself. My dermatologist told me that the breakout I was experiencing during my initial visit with her would be cleared in 3 weeks. Right she was, but she also failed to mention that my skin might look even more horrible in 3 weeks than when I actually began treatment.

I am also guilty of squeezing pimples when they come up. I know this actually just makes them worse, and I am really trying hard to stop this habit. Any suggestions?

My mood is still really affected by the condition of my skin- I was reading some posts on here, and it seems that there are a lot of others who feel the same as I do. I hate that acne destroys self-esteem so much, but it is good to know that my feelings are actually pretty normal.

I know I should put things into perspective because there are a lot of people who have a lot worse acne than I do and there are a lot of people who have a lot worse problems than acne. There are some days when I feel like my skin is not that bad, but the majority of the time, I feel pretty self-conscious.

I didn't realize the psychological impact that acne can have- I think that it is almost worse than the actual acne itself.

I will try to post weekly progress updates- I don't see much good in posting daily updates, as a few days really isn't enough time for the treatment to work. Until then, I will wait (impatiently) for clear skin.

I am also guilty of squeezing pimples when they come up. I know this actually just makes them worse, and I am really trying hard to stop this habit. Any suggestions?

I really suggest not looking in mirrors or at your reflection in whatever throughout the day; just look in a mirror in the morning when you get ready and before you go to sleep. I find that I'll feel okay or have this notion that my skin isn't so bad and then I'll look in the mirror and start obsessing over the redness, that nasty spot, etc. and eventually my feeling okay mood is shot to crap. If you don't look in the mirror there's the chance that you won't feel the need to squeeze that pimple (most people don't really squeeze their pimples without a mirror). When you look in the mirror in the morning or at night feel free to say whatever you feel about yourself for those 5 minutes and let it all out.

I don't pick my face or squeeze my pimples but when i used to sometimes do it I found that as soon as I started squeezing or picking it became harder to stop so the trick became to not even let myself begin so I would tell myself to just walk away and not even think about it and think of all the past times and solving nothing.

I really suggest not looking in mirrors or at your reflection in whatever throughout the day; just look in a mirror in the morning when you get ready and before you go to sleep. I find that I'll feel okay or have this notion that my skin isn't so bad and then I'll look in the mirror and start obsessing over the redness, that nasty spot, etc. and eventually my feeling okay mood is shot to crap. If you don't look in the mirror there's the chance that you won't feel the need to squeeze that pimple (most people don't really squeeze their pimples without a mirror). When you look in the mirror in the morning or at night feel free to say whatever you feel about yourself for those 5 minutes and let it all out.

I don't pick my face or squeeze my pimples but when i used to sometimes do it I found that as soon as I started squeezing or picking it became harder to stop so the trick became to not even let myself begin so I would tell myself to just walk away and not even think about it and think of all the past times and solving nothing.

Day 24:

My initial breakout (or whatever it was) is subsiding. The gunk that was on my jawline is now gone, and my chin is healing- instead of pimples, I just have some red spots and dead skin in place. I am really hoping that this is the end of my initial breakout phase, however, I am absolutely terrified that it is going to start all over again. How long does it take for your red spots to clear? I know Differin is supposed to help with it, and I also use Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair which seems to do a pretty good job. This coming week is the week that I will be on my period, so I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have any new nasty zits come up-after that horrible initial breakout though, I can't imagine that anything else could possibly come up!

Day 24:

My initial breakout (or whatever it was) is subsiding. The gunk that was on my jawline is now gone, and my chin is healing- instead of pimples, I just have some red spots and dead skin in place. I am really hoping that this is the end of my initial breakout phase, however, I am absolutely terrified that it is going to start all over again. How long does it take for your red spots to clear? I know Differin is supposed to help with it, and I also use Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair which seems to do a pretty good job. This coming week is the week that I will be on my period, so I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have any new nasty zits come up-after that horrible initial breakout though, I can't imagine that anything else could possibly come up!

I have now been on this treatment plan for nearly 4 full weeks (a day shy of it). Currently still trying to fade the left over spots from my initial breakout. I have one new pimple, in it's usual spot, but it is considerably smaller than that ones I would normally get at this time of the month- I guess that's a good thing? I am determined not to try to squeeze this one. Still hesitant to say whether or not this treatment is working, and I'm still pretty tempted to switch back to my old skincare line. I guess I'll stick with it until my next dermatology appointment, which is December 1. I'm already counting down. I did go back to my old moisturizer- my esthetician said that I should at least use that because it will do a lot more for my skin than cetaphil. I have decided to reward myself with a facial if I can make it to the 8 week mark with this regimen. Maybe that will be an incentive for me to stick with it!

Day 24:

I have now been on this treatment plan for nearly 4 full weeks (a day shy of it). Currently still trying to fade the left over spots from my initial breakout. I have one new pimple, in it's usual spot, but it is considerably smaller than that ones I would normally get at this time of the month- I guess that's a good thing? I am determined not to try to squeeze this one. Still hesitant to say whether or not this treatment is working, and I'm still pretty tempted to switch back to my old skincare line. I guess I'll stick with it until my next dermatology appointment, which is December 1. I'm already counting down. I did go back to my old moisturizer- my esthetician said that I should at least use that because it will do a lot more for my skin than cetaphil. I have decided to reward myself with a facial if I can make it to the 8 week mark with this regimen. Maybe that will be an incentive for me to stick with it!

I have now been on this regimen for nearly 5 full weeks This Wednesday will start week 6. I am still getting one or two new pimples every few days. Breakouts have definitely slowed down, but I am irritated that I am still breaking out. I am tired of being "tricked" by my skin- it's like I think the breakouts are finally over, only to wake up with a nasty new zit on my face. I feel like my skin looked much better before I began using these products from the dermatologist. Anyone know what would happen if I quit using these products and switched back to my old ones?

i would definitely give it more time. give it at least 3 months. why would going to your old products help? did your old products keep 100% clear, no so i don't think you're going to solve much.

stopping the differin and the benzaclin shouldn't make a difference maybe you'll start breaking out like u used to again but it shouldn't get worse.

however stopping the antbiotics could result in your acne getting worse. i don't wanna scare you, it might or it might not (the risk you take by taking antibiotics) i never took antibiotics for acne mainly because i just can't face the slight risk that my acne will get terrible worse and harder to fight. others have no issue with antibiotics.

I agree, if you stopped your regimen now it would be a total waste. Give it some more time before giving up. My skin does the same thing -- gets better, gets worse, etc. etc. It alternates each week, but I'm still getting new breakouts very regularly. I'm just really hoping Differin is going to work for me. Plus, my skin is worse than it was before so stopping it now (for me) would be the worst decision. I have to wear so much makeup during the day, it's kind of ridiculous.

I agree, if you stopped your regimen now it would be a total waste. Give it some more time before giving up. My skin does the same thing -- gets better, gets worse, etc. etc. It alternates each week, but I'm still getting new breakouts very regularly. I'm just really hoping Differin is going to work for me. Plus, my skin is worse than it was before so stopping it now (for me) would be the worst decision. I have to wear so much makeup during the day, it's kind of ridiculous.

Special and fourfivesix,

Thanks for your input. It's just really frustrating to not see any results, and it really makes me doubt that the dermatologist even knows what she is talking about. When they say to give it 12 weeks, I don't think they know how long that actually is. I have been counting down the days/weeks since day 1, and it's really no fun to basically wish time away. I guess I will stick it out at least until my next appointment (in 2 weeks) and see what the derm says then.

thanks for all ur posts..i'm on RAM .01%, acanya, and 100mg Doxy 1x a day....week 3 for me but only 7 days on doxy; i feel your pain! my skin is still breaking out & 3-6 months is soo long to wait; everyday is a battle to face the world and not want to hide out at home, but i do feel better once i'm out and not at home obsessing about my face...i also try to look at myself as little/or none at all in a mirror while away from home because i dont get as upset about my face that way and can forget about it some as well; i have stopped wearing makeup completely because it really isnt hiding anything and could possibly be making acne worse even if it says non-comedogenic/oilfree; the less variables i put on my face the better i feel; i really don't think the acanya is doing shit for me but i am gonna keep using it as prescribed for a few months at least; i've started using a moisturizer too because i wasn't before and i think the excess dryness was only adding to the IB...i just worry about anything i put on my face breaking me out even if it says it won't-everyones different; i suffer from anxiety and it has definately gotten worse as my skin gets worse and i think all that stress then just makes for more pimples...gonna look into getting on a anti-anxiety med just to take the edge off and help me relax and not to so OCD/anxious over my skin....acne has totally killed my social/love life...unless i have to go to work or school i am just a recluse now...i hope/pray we all get clear skin and can live a full & happy life again! good luck! :)

thanks for all ur posts..i'm on RAM .01%, acanya, and 100mg Doxy 1x a day....week 3 for me but only 7 days on doxy; i feel your pain! my skin is still breaking out & 3-6 months is soo long to wait; everyday is a battle to face the world and not want to hide out at home, but i do feel better once i'm out and not at home obsessing about my face...i also try to look at myself as little/or none at all in a mirror while away from home because i dont get as upset about my face that way and can forget about it some as well; i have stopped wearing makeup completely because it really isnt hiding anything and could possibly be making acne worse even if it says non-comedogenic/oilfree; the less variables i put on my face the better i feel; i really don't think the acanya is doing shit for me but i am gonna keep using it as prescribed for a few months at least; i've started using a moisturizer too because i wasn't before and i think the excess dryness was only adding to the IB...i just worry about anything i put on my face breaking me out even if it says it won't-everyones different; i suffer from anxiety and it has definately gotten worse as my skin gets worse and i think all that stress then just makes for more pimples...gonna look into getting on a anti-anxiety med just to take the edge off and help me relax and not to so OCD/anxious over my skin....acne has totally killed my social/love life...unless i have to go to work or school i am just a recluse now...i hope/pray we all get clear skin and can live a full & happy life again! good luck! :)

Day 37:

My skin is beginning to really dry out- when I first started using the differin/doxycycline/benzaclin, I didn't notice any dryness. I ran a marathon last Saturday, and even though it wasn't warm, it was still sunny, which may have exacerbated it. My skin is also beginning to turn red as well. It is most noticeable around my eyes- it looks like I have racoon eyes, except that it is red. I have also noticed that my skin burns a bit when I wash it. I am hoping that this means that the medicine is finally starting to take effect.

I am trying an alternative approach to the hormonal issue. Instead of using my old birth control pill, I have started taking natural progesterone capsules. I talked with a bio-identical hormone specialist and had my hormone levels checked, and she believes that natural progesterone will be more effective than birth control. Even while taking the birth control, my hormone levels (of estrogen and progesterone) were still pretty low. It is also supposed to help my sleep issues and moodiness. The hormone specialist explained to me that in a lot of situations, the synthetic progestin in birth control pills can actually cause acne. Natural progesterone is actually the precursor for other hormones that we make naturally, so this therapy is really focused on achieving the correct balance. I am going to give this a try for a while and see how it works.

Seems like the pimples may be subsiding, I do have a few red spots left over, but nothing too new and horrible. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I am past the worst of it.

I will update next week.

Day 37:

My skin is beginning to really dry out- when I first started using the differin/doxycycline/benzaclin, I didn't notice any dryness. I ran a marathon last Saturday, and even though it wasn't warm, it was still sunny, which may have exacerbated it. My skin is also beginning to turn red as well. It is most noticeable around my eyes- it looks like I have racoon eyes, except that it is red. I have also noticed that my skin burns a bit when I wash it. I am hoping that this means that the medicine is finally starting to take effect.

I am trying an alternative approach to the hormonal issue. Instead of using my old birth control pill, I have started taking natural progesterone capsules. I talked with a bio-identical hormone specialist and had my hormone levels checked, and she believes that natural progesterone will be more effective than birth control. Even while taking the birth control, my hormone levels (of estrogen and progesterone) were still pretty low. It is also supposed to help my sleep issues and moodiness. The hormone specialist explained to me that in a lot of situations, the synthetic progestin in birth control pills can actually cause acne. Natural progesterone is actually the precursor for other hormones that we make naturally, so this therapy is really focused on achieving the correct balance. I am going to give this a try for a while and see how it works.

Seems like the pimples may be subsiding, I do have a few red spots left over, but nothing too new and horrible. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I am past the worst of it.

I will update next week.

Day 47:

I have decided against using the natural progesterone at the advice of my mother. She, along with everyone else, tells me that consistency is key. I will stick with the bcp's for at least another cycle or two before changing.

I have almost finished 7 full weeks of benzaclin and differin, and 5 weeks of doxycycline. The only major difference I have seen so far was the initial breakout- which was not a good difference! Right now, I feel like I am back to where I first started. Luckily, my skin does not scar, and right now I don't have any red marks. I just have a few random zits- one inflamed one by my hairline, one small one in the corner of my mouth, and one small one on my cheek. I have noticed that I haven't really had any problems with my normal breakout spots (chin and along right jawline) since the initial breakout. So, maybe the treatment is working in this aspect. My skin was actually pretty clear last week, and there were several days that I went without makeup- that of course, was short-lived to the three new zits that I just mentioned.

My second dermatologist appointment is this Wednesday. I am interested to see if she thinks my skin has improved. I don't think there has been much of an improvement- I just think I am back to where I started. I also should ask her if my bcp's are contributing to my breakouts- for the few days I took the natural progesterone, I did notice unusually clear skin. I will post an update after my appointment. I am just ready to be done with acne once and for all.