Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
her

Upset about the cost of keeping my skin clear

I'm not talking about cost as in money. I'm talking about the cost on my appearance.

I am currently clear from ACNE, but I'm only 18 and facing all these other problems because of the acne treatments I've been taking.

I fear that years of benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid have made my skin look OLD and my pores look massive. Not only that, I'm on doxycycline which makes me more susceptible to the sun = thin skin, age spots, wrinkles, broken capillaries. I'm only 18!! How is this happening?

I was on accutane aswell so that's probably caused my skin to be hypersensitive to the sun aswell.

Great, so now that I have no acne I have to deal with the issues of premature aging. Fantastic. :(

Edited by her

Don't worry your skin will recover, i went through the whole lineup of treatments as well and noticed at times

during the treatments that in a way, those medicines made me look like crap even though they got rid of the pimples

i still didn't feel satisfied but my skin eventually went back to look like the pre-treatment days.

I fear that years of benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid have made my skin look OLD and my pores look massive. Not only that, I'm on doxycycline which makes me more susceptible to the sun = thin skin, age spots, wrinkles, broken capillaries. I'm only 18!! How is this happening?

Great, so now that I have no acne I have to deal with the issues of premature aging. Fantastic. :(

Yeah I have all these PLUS acne. I think I'll have make-up forever. FML

wow same here. i'm 17 and have been using harsh chemicals inside and outside since i was 13-14.. and i've been on 4 different antibiotics and 5 different topicals throughout these 4 years.. and right now i'm on diannette.. and you saw the state of my face in the pictures:s

nothing is working.. and all this time it's such a hard decision to make.. because these products obviously WILLL increase signs of aging.i don't need scientific evidence to prove that.. and on top of it.. accutane stops the production of sebum and oily skin helps prevent wrinkles whereas accutane skin increases the chances of developing premature wrinkles.

tough tough decision.. i'm sure many people ( myself included) don't care about the future problems we will have with our skin because right now acne is taking a huge toll on many of us..

btw. how severe is your acne? is it worse than mine or milder?

thanks for reading this!

Take vitamins that help ur skin regenerate...MSM, Vit E, Niacin, I'm doing a Vit therapy that my mother has me on. Doing it a month now and skin is already looking better:)

Dry skin on other parts of my body are healing up as well...eg a patch of escezma(sp) on my shin.

I always hear ppl talk about all there harsh accutane therapies but no one hardly ever mentions vitamins. Skin problems are usually a reflection of internal problems

SUNSCREEN.

Apply it, every morning, all over your body. Get at least 70+ SPF. If you're actually out in the sun (not just running errands), reapply every 2 hours.

Almost all premature skin damage is from too much sun exposure (especially combined with light sensitivity caused by accutane, antibiotics, and retin-a). The way to keep your skin from getting worse is absolutely religious sunscreen use.

The difference is obvious between me and my sister, both acne sufferers, I've been wearing sunscreen since high school and she has not. My skin looks younger and healthier even though my acne was definitely worse than hers.