Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm about to end my second week of accutane and just have a few questions

1) What do you do about cysts? Normally for me cysts will rarely ever go away; instead they will slowly grow until they become a white head and at that point it will pop in the shower or something and I squeeze the ish out. From what I know about accutane this will definitely leave a scar so does anyone know anything to mitigate this?

2) When everyone says dont pick are they talking about at whiteheads or at pimples (the bump under your skin kind)?

3) I've been dried out like no other and have begun showering only once a day. Does anyone else do this and can they comment on how that affects everything?

4) Will accutane affect my blackheads? I have a bunch on my nose and I have heard it will get rid of them eventually. Are they supposed to just fall out one day or something?

5) I know there are plenty of things that can help make life livable (drink tons of water, moisturize, chap stick, etc) but can someone help me out by listening what vitamins or other tablets (fish oil?, etc) I can take to lessen my chances of balding or any of accutanes many other life altering side effects.

6) How early does the skin start thinning? I have popped quite a few pimples in the last week.. (2nd week) and am worried it will scar. Most of them white heads tho.

after these last 2 weeks (last 6 days to be exact) I am going to start taking this drug seriously.

Edited by bobbyholb

1) What do you do about cysts?

I had severely cystic acne. At the beginning of my course, during my initial breakout, I popped them. I looked waayyy too hideous for me not to pick at them :( but towards the end of my course when my face was doing better I just left them alone. It took a LOOOONG time but they did shrivel up and dry on their own. Sometimes they popped by themselves as well.

2) When everyone says dont pick are they talking about at whiteheads or at pimples (the bump under your skin kind)?

I think picking means both kinds. Popping white heads can spread infection. I tried to leave them alone, but when they took over a week to go away I poked the white head with a needle and washed my face, without pushing on the bump.

3) I've been dried out like no other and have begun showering only once a day. Does anyone else do this and can they comment on how that affects everything?

I shower every other day. My hair and scalp has been drying out so it's necessary. I usually wear a shower cap and wash my body only.

4) Will accutane affect my blackheads? I have a bunch on my nose and I have heard it will get rid of them eventually. Are they supposed to just fall out one day or something?

Hmm. Everyone says blackheads go away first but mine were different. During month one my nose cleared up. Then they came back. It looked horrible! I am on my last 10 days of Accutane and they are finally all leaving. I used office tape as a pore strip when there was gunk hanging out of my pores. But yes, they do just fall out.

5) Can someone help me out by listening what vitamins or other tablets (fish oil?, etc) I can take to lessen my chances of balding or any of accutanes many other life altering side effects.

The only pills I took were Vitamin E pills and I have been using Emu oil on my skin.

thanks doris! you've been really helpful to me since i started and i really appreciate that. congrats on almost being on the other side.

regarding the whiteheads i learned it the hard way -_-. so basically if i absolutely cant walk around with it on my face i use a needle or lancet and just poke it, dont squeeze out but just wash the area?

and regarding the shower how often do you wash your face (including showers)?

Edited by bobbyholb

Yeah, with whiteheads if you push too hard you either spread the infection or push blood out, which leaves a red mark that will take forever to fade.

Here's a really good link :)

http://www.acne.org/pop.html

I was my face in the morning and night. My showers fall either in morning or night so it replaces one of those washes because I wash my face in the shower...if that makes sense.

And you're welcome =D

wowwww... my entire life i thought u were supposed to squeeze the pimple until the blood is gone to get rid of the bad blood or something..

Accutane brings all of your black heads to the surface since it dries everything up. Honestly, I've been popping a lot on accutane. I just do it VERY carefully. Make sure you use a needle, and put some kleenex on your finger tips. You have to know if it's the right time for it to pop too. When you stick your needle in you'll notice that it'll get to a point where it sinks in with little resistance. Thats when you know you've hit the jack pot, hahaha. When it's all out make sure the puss is gone, and put no or very little alcohol (hydrogen peroxide is better) on. With cysts and even with any whitehead you should grab some ice and ice it down for a bit. It helps a lot with swelling and even makes less of a red mark in the end.

I suggest you buy some Emu or Jojoba oil to put on your healing wounds so that they heal up faster, fade, and prevent scaring. I like emu better because it doesn't break me out and it's antibacterial too so it disinfects everything. Accutane sucks all the oil out of your skin, and without oil the healing process really suffers. So make sure you add oil where it's needed.

I agree, i've been using Emu oil as well and I really do think it prevents marks. I only wish I had used it sooner since now I was scarred :(

And I agree with the white head thing as well. If it's ready it's just deflate easily when you poke it.

1) What do you do about cysts? Normally for me cysts will rarely ever go away; instead they will slowly grow until they become a white head and at that point it will pop in the shower or something and I squeeze the ish out. From what I know about accutane this will definitely leave a scar so does anyone know anything to mitigate this?

I had a cyst a big one on my chin on my 2nd month of accutane. my derm stuck it really deep with a needle and then used an extractor to get some of the puss out. at home i press down on it after sticking in the needle. Before you do this, clean needle with rubbing alcohol, and the area you are sticking. Dont force too much get some of the puss that will come out and the next day do it again. it usually takes two times but it will go away much faster. Remember the needle has to go in deep.

dont pick either. if you pick blackheads there is a better chance they will develop into whiteheads. Whiteheads cause scarring when picked at. poking with a needle again helps get the puss out and heal faster.

my hair is so dry i only wash it once a week. it does not get greasy. i use neutrogena tar shampoo, and thick conditioner.

exfoliating will help bring the blackhheads out. just deal with them because you probably will experience much worse than a blackhead on accutane.

5) I know there are plenty of things that can help make life livable (drink tons of water, moisturize, chap stick, etc) but can someone help me out by listening what vitamins or other tablets (fish oil?, etc) I can take to lessen my chances of balding or any of accutanes many other life altering side effects.

magneseum greatly helped my skin. and vitamin e. also green tea lots of it (decaffe).

6) How early does the skin start thinning? I have popped quite a few pimples in the last week.. (2nd week) and am worried it will scar. Most of them white heads tho.

i didnt start scarring until 2nd month.