Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Timber47

Dear god, I just want a foundation that won't break me out

I'm 29. I've had acne 15 years. I just want a foundation that will cover my red marks and mild scarring and won't break me out but there are so many options and so many conflicting reviews that I have no idea what to do. It's making me crazy trying to sort through all of this. :snooty:

I use loreal liquid minerals foundation ......... with mineral powder over the top if I am breaking out. was nervous going back to liquid but I think its actually better than when I used to just use mineral powder. Its great stuff. Apparently clinique has an anti acne foundation but its going salicylic acid in in so you need to bare that in mind depending on what medications you are already using.

im lovng the liquid minerals

Edited by crystal_willow

I'm 29. I've had acne 15 years. I just want a foundation that will cover my red marks and mild scarring and won't break me out but there are so many options and so many conflicting reviews that I have no idea what to do. It's making me crazy trying to sort through all of this. :snooty:

I am going through exactly the same thing! In the past, I've always used mineral makeup or BB cream, neither of which broke me out. But now that I've started breaking out, I need more coverage, so I'm looking at liquid foundations, but all the ones I tried have broken me out! Even the non-comedogenic ones aren't being so easy on my skin.

My new method is researching on my own, and then getting samples from Sephora to see what will work for me. I figure it's better to pay $50 for something that works for my skin, rather than $10 for something at the drugstore that most likely won't work (since Sephora has the best return policy ever, and drugstores don't). And since everyone's skin is different, the only way to find something that works for you is to try it out yourself. Goodluck with your search! I hope you find something that works.

Have you tried Shiseido's Advanced Hydro-Liquid Compact? It's a bit pricey but I love it. I tend to break out easily but I've had no problem after using this product. When I first started using it, I always got compliments on how nice my skin looks...and trust me, my skin isn't that nice.

I've been researching the Shiseido compact lately! I think I'm going to go out and buy it sometime soon. But as much as I love Sephora, I hate it because everyone there seems to have amazing skin. Do you use it as your regular foundation, or just a finishing powder?

I use the Shiseido liquid-compact as my regular foundation to cover up blemishes and give my skin a more even tone, and Bare Escentuals mineral veil for the finishing powder. I've been using both products for over a year now. If there's a Nordstrom near you I recommend you get the foundation there. They have a great return policy.

Make Up For Ever Duo mat. its a compact powder. but make up for ever also has liquid foundation

Hi, Ive been using the Clinique foundation which is for spot prone skin ( I cant remember the name) and it seems OK. Skin isn't perfect (but hey, it never is!) but its certainly no worse than when i was using bare minerals foundation. I switched to liquid because i think it gives a much better coverage. The clinique foundation FEELS ok when it goes on (my skin often hurts due to a combination of acne and acne products) its light and has their spot treatment in it and is oil free. Theyre quite good with samples so its worth a shot x

I use Cliniques Acne Solutions. I like it, and it doesn't break me out. Has 2% salycic acid. I only use a little, not too much. Because I noticed that if i use a lot of makeup I break out no matter what.

Btw, what is BB Cream?? I've seen it around on ebay, and it looks kinda cool. I saw a brand called skin food. Looks interesting.

I recommend Lush's "colour supplement." It can be used either as a tinted moisturizer or foundation; look it up on their website, and you'll see what I mean. It doesn't break me out, but it does have talc in it which some say aggravates acne. Lush is a very reliable brand. Their products are hand-made and the ingredients lists are generally much simpler than drugstore brands. Anyway, I use this as a tinted moisturizer (you just mix it with your moisturizer), and it provides a sheer coverage. Than I use a loose powder over top, and the two of them combined provide great coverage. I haven't found a great loose powder yet, so I'm not going to recommend that to you! :)

if you're looking for a mineral makeup that provides some coverage, and is easy to apply, then i think you'd like milani minerals compact. i think it gives a natural look when using it with a kabuki brush. the things that i don't like about it is that doesn't have good oil control for me, and the shade range is pathetic. lol -- for some reason, i was able to find a shade that matches my skin tone pretty closely. that rarely happens.

Hi there. I'm 33 and have had acne since my early twenties. I have tried pretty much every foundation in existence and have spent so much money. The only one I have found that does not break me otu is Dermalogica Treatment foundation. I love it!

Guest Playing_In_Traffic

Meh, I'd skip the foundation and just use a concealer. It's helped me alot. Just blend with a concealer brush and set it with powder. It won't make you look flawless, but it makes your face less caked-feeling and I tend to feel that less is more for my inflamed skin, anyhow.

If you must use one, I'd suggest Coastal Classic Creations. I have not tried it, but it gets rave reviews for being a super safe cosmetics brand.

Edited by Playing_In_Traffic

MAC Select and Studio Fix lines. I would start out with Select first. It is good coverage without a heavy feel. If the coverage is absolutely not enough for you, switch to Studio.

I highly recommend their primer before putting the foundation on, and using their foundation brush to apply.

Just make sure you use a good makeup remover at night though, because these foundations have a lot of staying power.

Also I wouldn't buy online...go to a MAC store (you can find them in many Nordstroms) and have one of the staff color match you. Well worth your time.

Edited by Shazzy

i've been using NARS from sephora for awhile, its one of the few foundations i've found that really covers my scars without needing to be caked on, and try applying your foundation with a foundation brush instead of fingers or sponges. brushes make it go on a lot smoother and can be washed often so you won't spread bacteria around every time. oh and if you have really oily skin that makes your face shiny, even when you're wearing make up, the oil control moisturizer from murad is AMAZING. its the only moisturizer i've ever been able to use that keeps my face shine free all day. it also makes make up go on a lot nicer, and has spf 15. hope this helps someone >.<

Its great stuff. Apparently critiqued has an anti acne foundation but its going salicylic acid in so you can bare in mind depending on what medications you are already using. My new method is researching on my own, and then getting samples from Sephora to see what will work for me.

I personally love the strategy of tinted moisturizers plus a concealer -- my skin looks generally more even, but not like I have a ton of makeup on. I've also noticed that I break out less since I switched to Tarte's Smooth Operator from a liquid foundation. It also helps to set with a little bit of powder, so you don't have to reapply throughout the day. I definitely second going to Sephora (I used to work at Nordstrom, and the sales associates work on commission, plus generally only work at specific counters which isn't great if you want to try different brands). They have a great return policy, so you can take back anything that does make you break out. Lastly, definitely look at the makeup in different lighting -- the lighting in Sephora is terrible! (also, they're generally just really good at makeup -- trust me, they don't have perfect skin either!)

Good luck!

I'm using bare escentuals mineral SPF 15 powder foundation. claims to be non comedonegic. I have no ideo if makes me break out! because I do have acne from time to time and god knows what causes it.. have to say gives very very good covarage and lasts long time thats why I keep it in my life. face has to be moist -not wet or oily but apply moisturizer before- for it to work otherwise being powder it doesnt stay on.

If money isn't too much of an issue, Make Up Forever's HD foundation is awesome, easily the best foundation I've ever used, only downside is it costs 52$ a bottle.

Another good one is Sephoria's Mineral Compact (not the loose stuff which has way too much sparkley stuff in it), what I'm using right now. Plus is it has really long lasting staying power and medium/full coverage, which for a powder foundation can be hard to find. Also not too expensive at 26$.

Our Valley Girl foundation has allantoin to help heal and soothe the skin, and kaolin to soak up oil.

Whatever you try, I'd suggest avoiding bismuth oxychloride, talc, and oil based foundations.

Clinique Anti-Blemish is good for acne.

Clinique superbalanced is good for a mix of dry/oily skin.

Clinique Repairwear gives excellent coverage (but as my face is now dry I can't use my anti-blemish or repairwear, i have to use super-balanced)

They're brilliant coverage and don't cause breakouts

xx

L'oreal Bare Naturale Minerals... It is amazing! The coverage is very very buildable so you can go light or heavy depending on the coverage you need plus its really easy to apply and never streaks. The only downside is the brush it comes with cos it's hard to clean but I use my own Kabuki brush that is easy to use and to clean and it's not a problem- I'm a bit OCD when it comes to cleaning my brushes! XD