Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jeffree

Desperate, completely at a loss

I'm not sure if this is in the right place or not, or whether anyone is willing to give me advice, but I'm feeling helpless right now about my acne and even if no one responds I just need to write all this out..

I'm 17 and in the past 2 years have developed HORRID acne.. At any given point nearly every square inch of my face covered in small pimples, cysts, or scabs. I'm home schooled, and will spend weeks at home without even going in my back yard because of feeling so insecure about my acne. I'm SO depressed..

I've tried every product known to man ( I'm sure you've heard that one before ), every weird trip and tick, and nothing works. I went to a dermatologist for the first time 3 weeks ago and she put me on Solodyn antibiotic, with Atralin gel. There has not been even a little improvement, and last night I started breaking out in hives on my back and my feet became swollen. I googled it and this is an allergic reaction to Solodyn, so now I'm going to have to go off of this shit.

I have now tried everything except laser treatments and Accutane.. Because of my depression I'm hesitant to go on it, but then again, my depression is BECAUSE of my acne.. I just need to get this problem fixed once and for all, because it is seriously taking control of my life and I am missing out on so much. I won't even let my immediate family that I live with fully see my face.

Can someone PLEASE try to put me in the right direction? Give me advice? Should I go on Accutane? What do I do? I'm breaking down here.. =[

Hi. You are not alone. :) MANY of us on this website have felt the depression over our acne situation. You are smart to seek out dermatological care and to learn about all of your options.

I am currently on accutane. It's potent stuff, not a picnic to take, and it can take several months before you will see results. I have heard it can give about an 80% success rate at clearing acne for a few years. (Some longer, some less). Also, have you tried the regimen here on acne.org? If not, it might be worth a try before resorting to accutane. I haven't tried the regimen, but many on this website have and can help you along with it. (I was into my accutane treatment when I found out about the regimen.)

Also, if you haven't already, you may want to get checked for food allergies. I have a friend that had moderate acne all through high school and early 20's until she did an allergy test and found out she was allergic to wheat. She stopped eating wheat and her acne went away and has stayed away. There always seems to be an underlying cause to the acne, finding yours will greatly help you in managing your acne.

As far as laser treatments, talk to your dermatologist and research it on your own. There have been some new developments in that area that have been showing great results. Personally, I think my doctor must have secretly worked for the pharmaceutical companies, because he never mentioned alternative treatments for acne, he just pushed the drugs! I hate drugs!! But, sometimes you need them.

Good luck to you, and I hope others give you their thoughts as well. :angel:

Do not get disheartened. It is a teenage hormonal issue and will resolve in time. Just be patient and keep looking for alternate forms of treatment. If you take antibiotics, doctors will prescribe maximum strength so that you can see results. Sometimes it works - other times all you see is side-effects. Always exhaust milder treatments before seeking harsher treatments. I use "Nicotinamide pads" for external use (google it). They work for me - might work for you. Do not give up and stay positive.

I'm not sure if this is in the right place or not, or whether anyone is willing to give me advice, but I'm feeling helpless right now about my acne and even if no one responds I just need to write all this out..

I'm 17 and in the past 2 years have developed HORRID acne.. At any given point nearly every square inch of my face covered in small pimples, cysts, or scabs. I'm home schooled, and will spend weeks at home without even going in my back yard because of feeling so insecure about my acne. I'm SO depressed..

I've tried every product known to man ( I'm sure you've heard that one before ), every weird trip and tick, and nothing works. I went to a dermatologist for the first time 3 weeks ago and she put me on Solodyn antibiotic, with Atralin gel. There has not been even a little improvement, and last night I started breaking out in hives on my back and my feet became swollen. I googled it and this is an allergic reaction to Solodyn, so now I'm going to have to go off of this shit.

I have now tried everything except laser treatments and Accutane.. Because of my depression I'm hesitant to go on it, but then again, my depression is BECAUSE of my acne.. I just need to get this problem fixed once and for all, because it is seriously taking control of my life and I am missing out on so much. I won't even let my immediate family that I live with fully see my face.

Can someone PLEASE try to put me in the right direction? Give me advice? Should I go on Accutane? What do I do? I'm breaking down here.. =[

ACCUTANE MAN. take it. it wont make you more depressed. people that take it are depressed bc of their acne .. by no means does this drug in itself cause depression. I have talked with many derms and acne sufferers who agree. Just fucking do it. If you get a little goofy or start having real crazy thought about suidide and what not .. thougths you woundltn normally have ... well then maybe there is something to the accutane-depression/mental problem link. I would bet my life-savings, however, that it is the acne causing the depression and the suicides .. not the drug that can cure it.