Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bubbles24

So... the accutane journey may be beginning.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 26 year old female living in Melbourne Australia. I was prescribed Roaccutane yesterday by my dermatologist and went and had my blood tests today and the pregnancy test as well.

I have sufferered from moderate acne since I was 14 years old. At the beginning I was treated successfully (whilst on it anyway) doxycycline and then 3 years later at aged 17 it become ineffective. I then being at an age where I was interested in boys and such switched to Diane-35 and have had really good skin with the occassional massive break out since ( once a year).

I am getting married in THREE months time and I went off Diane 35 about 8 months ago to see if my skin had gotten any better with age. My dermatologist thought it might have, but alas... the acne returned with a vengence and was the worst I have ever experienced. I really need to get off of the pill so that I can sucessfully get pregnant soon!

My dermatologist has prescribed 20mg Roaccutane on alternate days for 2 weeks and then 20mgs/day. I am to continue on the contraceptive pill as well whilst on it. He said that he should be able to take me off of it in 3 months time, right before my wedding or at least be able to give me a 2-3 week break over that time.

I am really concerned about the initial break out... I am going to NZ with my in-laws in 3 weeks time for a 2 week trip. Am I right to be concerned??

So I am about to take my first tablet in a couple of hours. My Derm called and said that my bloods were good and that I am right to start. Excited and apprehensive at the same time. Freaking out about the initial breakout!

I woke up this morning with a chin full of hormonal whiteheads.... Maybe this is just in time!

Edited by Bubbles24

DAY 2

So today is the second day of my journey on this medication. I took the first tablet almost 24 hours ago.

Face: I have hormonal pimples around my chin area - I couldn't wait to get home from work today to give them a really good wash in the shower and most of them are on the improve and have started to fade (break out was 3 days ago) However I have noticed that my skin is really really oily today, to the point that my make up was looking dewy all day and my skin was 'itchy' like I needed to wash it. I have applied some BP tonight as advised by my derm to dry things out a bit. Also getting some small bumps near my nose.. I'm not sure.

Side effects: Nothing really yet, cept I have had a mild headache all day - again not sure.

I called the derm today again to relieve my anxiety in regards to starting this medication. I wanted to double check that it is safe to take whilst I am out of the country in a couple of weeks and I also wanted to discuss the potential for a break out whilst I'm away. He stated very clearly that I only have a 5% chance of a "flare up" and stated that because I dont have cystic acne that it is very unlikely to happen to me. I am hearing more stories of a IB though so I'm not sure that I believe his figures!

DAY 3

Skin: Skin is still improving at the moment around the chin area. I have one very hard dry whitehead on the left hand side of my lips but over all the scabby bits from my recent break out are better. I have had dry and flakey skin in that area today though. Yesterday I was an oil slick and it was itchy and all day I have felt really dry and gross. I got home today and washed my make up off and put some vitamin E cream on to try and help with the dryness.

Side effects: Nothing besides the dry skin, that and I think I am a bit flushed as everyone at work was asking if i had been out in the sun.

I took the second tablet tonight and I am really still very anxious about the side effects and what is going to happen to me in the next two weeks. I am taking every single day as it comes and have not been making any plans day to day, just to wake up and see how I feel...

Hi Bubbles24,

I was just reading through your log and realized we started taking accutane on the same day! We're about the same age too (I'm 25), and I'm also getting married soon, which is why I really want this to work out. :angel:

I feel just like you, excited, and yet kind of worried at the same time...but I'm feeling hopeful about finally not having to deal with acne and stressing out about it all the time.

Good luck! ;)

Hi Bubbles24,

I was just reading through your log and realized we started taking accutane on the same day! We're about the same age too (I'm 25), and I'm also getting married soon, which is why I really want this to work out. :angel:

I feel just like you, excited, and yet kind of worried at the same time...but I'm feeling hopeful about finally not having to deal with acne and stressing out about it all the time.

Good luck! ;)

That's awesome! It would be great to have someone to compare how things are going with :) It's amazing how getting married makes you realise that you need to do something about your face sooner rather than later. Are you taking anything alongside the accutane, a BC pill or something?

I have been on Diane for a couple of years and recently went off because I wanted (stupidly LOL) to find out if my skin had cleared up any on its own... definitely not.. everything come back with a vengence! If accutane doesn't work for me, I have NO idea how I am going to have kids because I seriously can't cope with a head full of acne for 9 months while I carry the thing and not use anything topical/antibiotics. ...

Bit worried about the no waxing, bleaching & facials in preperation for my wedding tho..

Day 5 today.

Just finished a post about how things were going really well today and how the hormonal break out I had as I started roaccutane had almost dried up and disappeared. As soon as I finished the post I went to have a shower and when I got out of the shower I noticed that I have developed two large inflamed pimples on the part between my lip and chin, off to the side.

Within the last hour these things are looking really angry and gross. Hopefully I don't get any more. Had a bit of a crying fit after my shower, looking in the mirror. I just know that things are going to get worse before they get better and I have had to really push myself to have this treatment... considering my acne was really well controlled on Diane-35. Damn having to make life choices... I don't know what I am going to do if this is not a cure for me... I am literally beside myself. My skin has probably been good for 2 weeks out of the last two months and here I am screwing with it again.

On the positive side, I am getting really talented at cover up make up... I hate how I wear make up now to hide my skin rather than to look pretty. I hate work and I hate dealing with the general public when I feel gross about myself. All I want to do is to take a shower and wash the disgusting away... just wish that it would wash off.....

Really struggling. Lets hope these babies don't turn out as bad as what I'm imagining!

Gotta stay more positive than this....

I have been getting mild headaches post the tablets too. To the point I wake up in the middle of the night and need to take paracetamol. Hopefully that gets better soon.

Edited by Bubbles24

Day 5 today.

Just finished a post about how things were going really well today and how the hormonal break out I had as I started roaccutane had almost dried up and disappeared. As soon as I finished the post I went to have a shower and when I got out of the shower I noticed that I have developed two large inflamed pimples on the part between my lip and chin, off to the side.

Within the last hour these things are looking really angry and gross. Hopefully I don't get any more. Had a bit of a crying fit after my shower, looking in the mirror. I just know that things are going to get worse before they get better and I have had to really push myself to have this treatment... considering my acne was really well controlled on Diane-35. Damn having to make life choices... I don't know what I am going to do if this is not a cure for me... I am literally beside myself. My skin has probably been good for 2 weeks out of the last two months and here I am screwing with it again.

On the positive side, I am getting really talented at cover up make up... I hate how I wear make up now to hide my skin rather than to look pretty. I hate work and I hate dealing with the general public when I feel gross about myself. All I want to do is to take a shower and wash the disgusting away... just wish that it would wash off.....

Really struggling. Lets hope these babies don't turn out as bad as what I'm imagining!

Gotta stay more positive than this....

I have been getting mild headaches post the tablets too. To the point I wake up in the middle of the night and need to take paracetamol. Hopefully that gets better soon.

Hang in there! I'm hoping that this will work for us and that in a few months it will all be good. ;) I'm also scared about things getting worse before they get better, but I've tried so many other things, that I might as well try this and hopefully get rid of acne for good! Have you seen some of the before and after pics from people who used accutane? Some of the results were really amazing. :)

I'm not taking any BC pills, since I don't need them right now....and yeah, kinda sucks that we can't wax or have facials for a while...oh well.

I feel like I've been getting minor headaches too, but I thought it might be since I'm constantly feeling dehydrated. dunno...I should probably drink more water.

What kind of makeup and moisturizer do you use? Are you putting anything on your face other than moisturizer? I'm not too sure if I should put something on my current zits, or if this will be too harsh on my skin. :confused:

Edited by (-_-)

Thanks for that! I am hanging in there. It took all of my willpower to take the friggin tablet last night. I stared it down for a good couple of minutes before I took the damn thing :) I have looked at peoples before and after photographs and I did after my crying fit last night to make myself feel a bit better and to reaffirm why I am doing this. This is going to be awesome when it is done, I am hanging out madly for the 1 month mark!

I am really trying to keep my skin care regime quite simple as to not aggravate things further. Washing with Neutragena gentle cleanser and using vitamin E cream as a moisteriser. These angry spots I have I applied a small amount of hydrocortisone cream to bring the inflammation down before I went to bed. Very careful to only use a small amount and only apply it in a thin layer as it can thin the skin.

Are you breaking out at the moment? I am using Maybelline make up, the super stay 24 hour one as that is what I used when I was clear on Diane and I know that it doesn't make me break out. Soon as I get home from work though the make up gets washed off.

For months before this I was using dermalogica products and I have decided to just let that go for now.. nothing new until this is fixed!

The corners of my mouth are really dry.. like beginning to crack. What should I put on there?

Are you breaking out at the moment? I am using Maybelline make up, the super stay 24 hour one as that is what I used when I was clear on Diane and I know that it doesn't make me break out. Soon as I get home from work though the make up gets washed off.

For months before this I was using dermalogica products and I have decided to just let that go for now.. nothing new until this is fixed!

The corners of my mouth are really dry.. like beginning to crack. What should I put on there?

You're right...I really shouldn't aggravate my skin more by adding a bunch of stuff to it.

The corners of my mouth are ok, but my nose is super dry and the corners were starting to crack too...I put A LOT of cetaphil on it at night, and this morning my nose feels better. Maybe cetaphil will work for the skin around your mouth? I don't usually like using cetaphil because I feel like it's a bit too greasy for me sometimes, but now that my skin is drying out, it seems to help. ;)

I haven't used Maybelline make up in a long time, maybe I should give it a try...currently using Revlon new complexion (not the powder) and it covers well.

Edited by (-_-)

I think as far as the make up goes, stick with what you know. I have found this stuff in the supermarket called Blistex and got some stuff called Oralife from work for my lips and I have been alternating them and they feel a lot better.

As for what is happening with my skin - yesterday I woke up and it felt like I had smeared butter all over my face. My forehead was so oily that my make up actually looked a bit funny and I had to blot. That never happens to me and I rarely get blemishes in that area. Today though - back to being dry! As for the daily 1-3 zits that had been appearing they seem to be reduced to 1 a day now, and it's not too bad. Mostly they heal quite quickly and have come in really odd spots like on my back, neck, behind my ear, in my eyebrow and right on the side of my lip.

The only thing that is REALLY bothering me is blackheads!! OMG!! they are poking out of my pores all over the place and my chin feels like sandpaper and you can see them dotted all over the place. I have NO idea what to do about this. VERY concerned that they are going to turn into pimples! It has been getting progressively worse over the last two days. I haven't been touching them as I DO NOT want to aggrivate my skin 1 week before going on vacation. Freaking out.

Fiance has taken roaccutane in the past and says that its just my skin clearing and he experienced the same thing after he had a massive IB... I'm just so not sure about this. Hopefully our future children don't turn into mutants because we've both taken the drug in our lives :P

DAY 11.

Can't believe that time has passed so quickly!

I haven't really had any big break outs over the last week at all. I have had however more active spots than what I normally would have, but it's not so bad so far. I know when my acne is bad because I don't want to go out and do things, this hasn't stopped me living my life.

The hardest thing to deal with has been all of these blackheads/blocked pores! They are driving me insane. The pores on my nose & chin look so big that a small child could be playing hide & seek in there. I really REALLY want to use a Biore strip, but I am not sure if I am setting myself up for failure.

Under heaps of stress at the moment too. Lots of family arguments about the wedding invitations. I can't believe the utter RUDENESS of some people.... if you didn't get an invite take a hint, we DON'T WANT YOU THERE, don't come and black mail us into giving you one.. Jeez! Mother in Law is saying she doesn't want to go on holiday next week, well if she keeps stressing me out I am going to be one giant pus filled zit & won't be much fun anyway!

Lips are cracked, nose is crusty & eyes feel like they have sand in them.. if I dont apply enough moisteriser my face feels like crepe paper... I up my dose in 3 days.

DAY 11.

Can't believe that time has passed so quickly!

I haven't really had any big break outs over the last week at all. I have had however more active spots than what I normally would have, but it's not so bad so far. I know when my acne is bad because I don't want to go out and do things, this hasn't stopped me living my life.

The hardest thing to deal with has been all of these blackheads/blocked pores! They are driving me insane. The pores on my nose & chin look so big that a small child could be playing hide & seek in there. I really REALLY want to use a Biore strip, but I am not sure if I am setting myself up for failure.

Under heaps of stress at the moment too. Lots of family arguments about the wedding invitations. I can't believe the utter RUDENESS of some people.... if you didn't get an invite take a hint, we DON'T WANT YOU THERE, don't come and black mail us into giving you one.. Jeez! Mother in Law is saying she doesn't want to go on holiday next week, well if she keeps stressing me out I am going to be one giant pus filled zit & won't be much fun anyway!

Lips are cracked, nose is crusty & eyes feel like they have sand in them.. if I dont apply enough moisteriser my face feels like crepe paper... I up my dose in 3 days.

i'm getting blackheads and whiteheads too! :( I really, really, really wanna use a biore strip too but I think that would be a really, really, REALLY bad idea....haha :confused: Our skin is already pretty dry and mine is kinda sensitive, so I wouldn't risk it...

Good luck with wedding planning, yeah, it can be super stressful. What do you do when you're stressed? Lately I've been playing music with friends or exercising and that helps me de-stress. Or just taking a long bubble bath and reading a good book. :)

DAY 13

My wedding related stress has died down a bit thank god. I seriously don't think I could handle another night like the other night with the dragon in law screaming down the phone at me because her brothers children were not invited, but they had already booked flights.

As for the relaxing, I must confess - I did have one glass of wine to unwind. HOWEVER I didn't feel so crash hot after it (tipsy- on one glass, go me) and had a headache so decided NOT a good idea. Dermatologist did say I could have 1-2 glasses of wine a few days a week though.

Skin wise: I definitely think I have been going through some sort of IB, I have been getting 1-3 pimples a day and although I have been good and leaving them alone and generally being kind to myself it has still been getting me down. I would normally be clear at this stage of the month (acne is def hormonal for me) and I'm not. This morning I had three whiteheads emerging on my left cheek/chin area and I gave them a good squeeze before work.. all of the crap come out of them but I have been left with three corresponding scabs.. SO... overall not a smart move. lets hope they heal quickly.

I have been getting night sweats, I am sleeping with the fan directly over me. Also dry lips.. I can't go for 30 minutes without my lip balm. Cried for no reason this morning other than the yoghurt I made was lumpy.

To top it off, someone asked at work (I am a nurse) if I was getting my hair bleached before I go to NZ and I said no I can't and they asked why and I said I am on medication that prevents me from doing it and they said "What meds" So I told them "A med for my skin" and she was like "do you REALLY think it's made a difference?"..... um clearly not. Way to make me feel good.

DAY 15

Today is the first day that I increase my dose from every second day to a daily dose. This bothers me as I am really scared what side effects I am going to get from the increased dose. I have seen some increase in my acne and I hope it doesn't get too much worse.

As far as side effects go - I am constantly drinking water, I dont know if I am getting a cold or something because my throat feels dry and scratchy. Tiredness is a bit more improved, I can go a day without being in bed at 7pm now! Very dry lips... and for the first time today I actually had a nose bleed. It was at the most inopportune time too. I was in the daily meeting with all of the executives and nurses who run the wards in the hosptal I work for (about 30 odd people) and my nose spontaneously bled as I began to talk!! Needless to say I finished up and ran out quickly.

Acne:... I don't know, my skin is definitely worse than I have seen it for a while. Seems to be taking forever to heal up spots now, at first it was so rapid, I'd have a spot one day and then the next it would be gone, but I have small spots from a week ago that have not healed. Got a whitehead right on the corner of my eyelid,never had one there before but it hurts to blink!! The whitehead/blackhead/large pore situation seems to have improved. Keep thinking maybe things are on the way up, but do not want to get my hopes up!

DAY 15

Today is the first day that I increase my dose from every second day to a daily dose. This bothers me as I am really scared what side effects I am going to get from the increased dose. I have seen some increase in my acne and I hope it doesn't get too much worse.

As far as side effects go - I am constantly drinking water, I dont know if I am getting a cold or something because my throat feels dry and scratchy. Tiredness is a bit more improved, I can go a day without being in bed at 7pm now! Very dry lips... and for the first time today I actually had a nose bleed. It was at the most inopportune time too. I was in the daily meeting with all of the executives and nurses who run the wards in the hosptal I work for (about 30 odd people) and my nose spontaneously bled as I began to talk!! Needless to say I finished up and ran out quickly.

Acne:... I don't know, my skin is definitely worse than I have seen it for a while. Seems to be taking forever to heal up spots now, at first it was so rapid, I'd have a spot one day and then the next it would be gone, but I have small spots from a week ago that have not healed. Got a whitehead right on the corner of my eyelid,never had one there before but it hurts to blink!! The whitehead/blackhead/large pore situation seems to have improved. Keep thinking maybe things are on the way up, but do not want to get my hopes up!

Hi! Can't believe I'm also on day 15!

Hmm...I've been taking pills every day (40 mg) and it seems like my side effects have been similar to yours even though you've only been taking them every other day. So I'm guessing things should be ok... ;)

I'm really thirsty all the time as well, and I'm also not feeling as tired as I was on the first few days of taking the pills. hahaha...it is funny how both of us seem to be experiencing the exact same things!!

Well...at least we're 1/2 a month into our treatment! :dance:

Hi! Can't believe I'm also on day 15!

Hmm...I've been taking pills every day (40 mg) and it seems like my side effects have been similar to yours even though you've only been taking them every other day. So I'm guessing things should be ok... ;)

I'm really thirsty all the time as well, and I'm also not feeling as tired as I was on the first few days of taking the pills. hahaha...it is funny how both of us seem to be experiencing the exact same things!!

Well...at least we're 1/2 a month into our treatment! :dance:

DAY 25 ish

I have really lost count of the day count because things have been going really well. This week I have been in NZ on holiday with my in-laws and I must say I havent really been thinking about my skin so much. My skin feels really soft and everything has pretty much cleared up. I have a small white-head on my lip that come up yesterday.

Overall though I am VERY happy with the results so far. My skin hasn't felt so smooth for so long. T