Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iRyRy

My Experience... loss of concentration.

So I started taking Accutane about 7 months ago. Pre-accutane, I had sever/moderate acne that couldn't be cured by anything. As soon as I started taking the drug I was seeing improvement in my skin (even from the very first pill). My oil production dropped significantly. By the third week it looked like my skin was perfect... But there were other things that happened to me. I started seeing black bags producing under my eyes, and my hair started thinning greatly. I also felt very spaced out, sad, foggy, etc... I just didn't feel like myself. This scared the shit out of me so I stopped the drug immediately.

Now, 7 months later, those feelings returned. I cannot concentrate on tasks, and I feel out of touch with reality. I've always thought I was very smart, and could analyze things quickly in my head. But now... I feel dumbed down. I can't analyze situations. Also, I've started feeling pressure in my forehead and behind my eyes.

I started doing research. I found a recent study showing that Accutane caused a decrease in the activity of the frontal lobe in the brain. I started looking at the functions of this portion of the brain, and almost everything associated to it were the areas I was having trouble with. My reasoning abilities are almost non existent, I have a hard time analyzing situations... It's creepy as hell...

I know some of you are going to call me crazy, but please understand this. I've always been very self aware of my abilities both physically and mentally, and right now something is not right...

Edited by iRyRy

if you think you're alone...you're not. welcome aboard.

So I started taking Accutane about 9 months ago. Pre-accutane, I had sever/moderate acne that couldn't be cured by anything. As soon as I started taking the drug I was seeing improvement in my skin (even from the very first pill). My oil production dropped significantly. By the third week it looked like my skin was perfect... But there were other things that happened to me. I started seeing black bags producing under my eyes, and my hair started thinning greatly. I also felt very spaced out, sad, foggy, etc... I just didn't feel like myself. This scared the shit out of me so I stopped the drug immediately.

Now, 9 months later, those feelings returned. I cannot concentrate on tasks, and I feel out of touch with reality. I've always thought I was very smart, and could analyze things quickly in my head. But now... I feel dumbed down. I can't analyze situations. Also, I've started feeling pressure in my forehead and behind my eyes.

I started doing research. I found a recent study showing that Accutane showed a decrease in the activity of the frontal lobe in the brain. I started looking at the functions of this portion of the brain, and almost everything associated to it seemed like the areas I was having trouble with. My reasoning abilities are almost non existent, I have a hard time analyzing situations... It's creepy as hell...

I know some of you are going to call me crazy, but please understand this. I've always been very self aware of my abilities both physically and mentally, and right now something is not right...

you're definitely not alone. i wish i could give you some useful advice, but i don't know what to do about it either.

It's nice to know I have people I can relate to. For the past two days I've felt depressed. I'm going to visit my family doctor in a few days, and I need help explaining this feeling...

Could you guys share your stories? I feel we should stick together. :)

Brain fog is what you're experiencing. I started suffering from the fogginess about 3 years ago for reasons I'm still trying to pin down and correct. I only started Accutane about 5 months ago and am close to ending the course. Whether it's making me more foggy, I can't say, but it's doubtful. I know exactly what you're going through; nothing feels real, you wake up and feel like you're still in a dream. It's like your brain is behind a thick concrete wall and nothing is 'getting through'. You are quite literally in a fog, and clarity of thought is severely hampered. Seeing as my fog started a long time before I started taking Accutane, I've had more than enough time to do my research and narrow down possible causes. These are essentially all the causes; candida overgrowth, heavy metal toxicity, lack of deep sleep, parasites, nutrient deficiencies (particularly if you are vegetarian), bowel toxicity, hypothyroidism, adrenal burnout, hypoglycemia, pharmaceuticals and sleep apnea.

I personally believe that the best way to recover is this:

1. Eat plenty of meats and vegetables with generous amounts of healthy saturated fats (ie. coconut oil and grass-fed butter, if you can tolerate dairy). Plants and animals, in a gist. Be careful with high-sugar fruits, and completely ditch grains of all kinds. Rice may be ok in moderation, as well as root vegetables such as potatoes (for blood sugar control).

2. Exercise regularly. I haven't been able to do vigorous exercise since taking Accutane because it has seriously drained all my energy; the fatigue is immense. However, moderate exercising (walking, slow cycling, hiking etc.) is extremely beneficial in its own right, and should be done everyday. This will also help promote deeper sleep.

3. Get plenty of sleep every single night. Test for sleep apnea if it's possible (I should do this, but I highly doubt that I have it because I don't snore and I'm at a healthy weight). Stick to healthy sleep habits like waking and sleeping at the same time every day, turning off electronics at least an hour before bed to let Melatonin kick in, etc.

4. Get plenty of sunlight when possible. For one, you should get early morning light to reset your circadian rhythm and promote a good night's sleep. Vitamin D is also crucial, so expose your skin to the sun for a while. Eating a healthy diet has amazing potential in preventing sunburn, so don't fret too much.

5. Supplement with a good multi-vitamin formula, omega 3 fish-oils and probiotics (if necessary).

I'm not giving up on this regime. Once I'm off the Accutane and my energy returns, I have nothing but high prospects for getting my brain back. I highly doubt that this is a permanent effect, as long as we give the body what it needs to thrive! ;)

So I started taking Accutane about 9 months ago. Pre-accutane, I had sever/moderate acne that couldn't be cured by anything. As soon as I started taking the drug I was seeing improvement in my skin (even from the very first pill). My oil production dropped significantly. By the third week it looked like my skin was perfect... But there were other things that happened to me. I started seeing black bags producing under my eyes, and my hair started thinning greatly. I also felt very spaced out, sad, foggy, etc... I just didn't feel like myself. This scared the shit out of me so I stopped the drug immediately.

Now, 9 months later, those feelings returned. I cannot concentrate on tasks, and I feel out of touch with reality. I've always thought I was very smart, and could analyze things quickly in my head. But now... I feel dumbed down. I can't analyze situations. Also, I've started feeling pressure in my forehead and behind my eyes.

I started doing research. I found a recent study showing that Accutane caused a decrease in the activity of the frontal lobe in the brain. I started looking at the functions of this portion of the brain, and almost everything associated to it were the areas I was having trouble with. My reasoning abilities are almost non existent, I have a hard time analyzing situations... It's creepy as hell...

Hey man, I totally don't think you're crazy. Some people will say you are and that there isn't any evidence to support the connection between accutane and your current situation, but I totally believe you. My problem is that I'm considering taking accutane, but I'm kinda a scardy cat. I was just wondering if it was worth it or not. Like cause I hate acne, so I think I would probably trade my acne for some brain fog. At least people wouldn't be able to notice my brain fog right?

Hey man, I totally don't think you're crazy. Some people will say you are and that there isn't any evidence to support the connection between accutane and your current situation, but I totally believe you. My problem is that I'm considering taking accutane, but I'm kinda a scardy cat. I was just wondering if it was worth it or not. Like cause I hate acne, so I think I would probably trade my acne for some brain fog. At least people wouldn't be able to notice my brain fog right?

I wish I could go back in time and choose not to take Accutane. I understand what it feels like to have acne. When it was at its worst I felt depressed. But I think Accutane made me suicidal, it pushed me over the edge. TRUST ME WHEN I SAY, ACNE IS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE FEELINGS I'M GETTING! If I could go back in time I would, without a doubt I would.

I'm not saying Accutane brought this upon me, but it seems like the only possibility. Right now I'm not even thinking about the acne I have (I still have acne), I'm 100% focused on this feeling of mental instability.

I looked back at my posts were I asked people if I should try accutane, and they all said no. I wished I would have listened to them. Now I'm living with the thought that maybe Accutane altered my mind. It's extremely scary to think about...

You pmed me to hear my story:

it's simple. I took accutane. Now I have horrible bouts of fatigue, super thin skin with a bunch of rashes, and mild hairloss. My concentration is horrible. I go to medical school. Imagine life for me...it's unlivable. But I live on.

Maybe accutane caused your issues. Maybe it didn't. In either situation, find a way to feel better!

I wish I could go back in time and choose not to take Accutane. I understand what it feels like to have acne. When it was at its worst I felt depressed. But I think Accutane made me suicidal, it pushed me over the edge. TRUST ME WHEN I SAY, ACNE IS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE FEELINGS I'M GETTING! If I could go back in time I would, without a doubt I would.

I'm not saying Accutane brought this upon me, but it seems like the only possibility. Right now I'm not even thinking about the acne I have (I still have acne), I'm 100% focused on this feeling of mental instability.

I looked back at my posts were I asked people if I should try accutane, and they all said no. I wished I would have listened to them. Now I'm living with the thought that maybe Accutane altered my mind. It's extremely scary to think about...

Edited by john1234

You pmed me to hear my story:

it's simple. I took accutane. Now I have horrible bouts of fatigue, super thin skin with a bunch of rashes, and mild hairloss. My concentration is horrible. I go to medical school. Imagine life for me...it's unlivable. But I live on.

Maybe accutane caused your issues. Maybe it didn't. In either situation, find a way to feel better!

I'm guessing you've been feeling this longer then I have. Could you give me tips on dealing with this? I feel fine at times, but once something gets a bit stressful I feel like I'm going crazy.

Is there anything you do that helps?

The changes in the brain are associated with depression and anxiety. Depression and anxiety are frequently also accompanied by changes in the brain, either as a precursor or sequelae. It's very interesting.

But the point: antidepressants or treating the depression with cognitive behavioral therapy AND medications have been shown to REVERSE physical changes in the brain caused by mental illness. The hippocampus has also been affected in some and it returns to normal with treatment.

So...I suggest speaking to a therapist/psychiatrist about your symptoms. Perhaps medication and therapy may be able to eventually return you to YOU. It may take several trials, it's just like with fixing acne: lots of things tried, finally success for many.

There IS hope. It CAN get better. I wish you the very best of luck.

Hey man, thanks a lot for responding. It really helps to get real people's perspective of on serious matters like this. I mean that, because when I went to a dermatologist and he perscribed me accutane, I was like alright sounds great... But then he gave me this pamphlet that had like a hundred serious side effects all much worse than acne. But he told me that I would be 100% fine with beautiful skin. But I was like, then why the hell did you give me this pamphlet! It seemed kinda fishy to me.

The changes in the brain are associated with depression and anxiety. Depression and anxiety are frequently also accompanied by changes in the brain, either as a precursor or sequelae. It's very interesting.

But the point: antidepressants or treating the depression with cognitive behavioral therapy AND medications have been shown to REVERSE physical changes in the brain caused by mental illness. The hippocampus has also been affected in some and it returns to normal with treatment.

So...I suggest speaking to a therapist/psychiatrist about your symptoms. Perhaps medication and therapy may be able to eventually return you to YOU. It may take several trials, it's just like with fixing acne: lots of things tried, finally success for many.

There IS hope. It CAN get better. I wish you the very best of luck.

Thanks for the hope. Just thinking about the state of my mind right now is sucking the energy out of me, I'm depressed.

I'm going to visit my family doctor tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

Hey man, thanks a lot for responding. It really helps to get real people's perspective of on serious matters like this. I mean that, because when I went to a dermatologist and he perscribed me accutane, I was like alright sounds great... But then he gave me this pamphlet that had like a hundred serious side effects all much worse than acne. But he told me that I would be 100% fine with beautiful skin. But I was like, then why the hell did you give me this pamphlet! It seemed kinda fishy to me.

My derm was the same way. She almost found it funny when I asked her about the possible side-effects. Saying things like "it's rare!"... that means there is a possibility? If there's all these possibilities of it altering your body... what is this stuff? It's killing cells in your body...

You need to ask yourself one question. Is it worth it? In your case, I would wait until you're older. You might grow out of this. I wish I had waited...

Of course theres a possibility, but its still not common, but can still happen.

I waited to see if i'd grow out of it, and at 25 i still didn't so i did it and worked perfect, 3+ years now and still no acne

Edited by jacobden

I'm still having these feelings. I've scheduled a CT scan and a meet with a neurologist. The appointment isn't for 3 months, so I'll see what happens till then.

Any advice?

Psychiatrist.

You're suggesting I meet with a psychiatrist until then? I guess that would help.

I'm gonna go on a week relaxing period, and I will do nothing but relax and sleep. No computer, no stress... I'll see where that takes me.

Psychiatrist.

You're suggesting I meet with a psychiatrist until then? I guess that would help.

I'm gonna go on a week relaxing period, and I will do nothing but relax and sleep. No computer, no stress... I'll see where that takes me.

Yes, strongly. The symptoms you reported are similar to depression and depression can be treated. Isotretinoin can definitely cause depression through those changes in the brain I mentioned above.

Yes, strongly. The symptoms you reported are similar to depression and depression can be treated. Isotretinoin can definitely cause depression through those changes in the brain I mentioned above.

The thing is, I've dealt with depression before, and it didn't feel like this. Even when I forget about this problem, my brain feels like it's been dumbed down, and it's not at its best. I think depression is just a symptom of a bigger problem.

How can I go through life knowing accutane might have damaged my brain?

The thing is, I've dealt with depression before, and it didn't feel like this. Even when I forget about this problem, my brain feels like it's been dumbed down, and it's not at its best. I think depression is just a symptom of a bigger problem.

How can I go through life knowing accutane might have damaged my brain?

Just like others go through their lives with their own brain damage caused many means: with strength, courage, and conviction.

Depression isn't always going to manifest itself in the same way. Pursue ALL avenues of hope.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm doubting this was caused by accutane. I only took 40mg for 19 days. Although it started working extremely quickly on my skin... And I didn't realize this "brain fog" durring, or right after my treatment. I'm realizing it now, 7 months later.

What do you guys think?

Edited by iRyRy

I'm doubting this was caused by accutane. I only took 40mg for 19 days. Although it started working extremely quickly on my skin... And I didn't realize this "brain fog" durring, or right after my treatment. I'm realizing it now, 7 months later.

What do you guys think?

Have you read my post? I listed all possible causes of brain fog (at least, the vast majority of them), and frankly from what I have researched the best thing to do is follow a holistic approach in improving your health overall. I know what you're going through, and I know it isn't depression as well.

What do you guys think?

Have you read my post? I listed all possible causes of brain fog (at least, the vast majority of them), and frankly from what I have researched the best thing to do is follow a holistic approach in improving your health overall. I know what you're going through, and I know it isn't depression as well.

I understand that there are many causes, I just really want to rule out accutane since that might be permanent.

Anyways, I'm feeling a bit better today (I think).

What do you guys think?

Why are you doubting this was caused by Accutane? I suffered from this as a result of Accutane, as well as many other people. Accutane was originally developed as a chemotherapy drug (I don't know if it was ever used for that) and functions a lot like chemotherapy drugs do. Many people who take chemotherapy end up with symptoms classified as "chemo brain". This term includes symptoms dealing with the brain such as memory loss and overall "brain fog". Many of these patients don't get this effect until years after taking the chemo. This is kind of like my situation. I didn't get a majority of my side effects, including "brain fog", until a couple years after my Accutane course. Now let me warn you, there will be a lot of pro Accutane people who will post that your "brain fog" is unrelated to Accutane because the problem manifested after your treatment. They will say it is due to something else and it is probably conincidence this happened so closely to you completing Accutane. Do some research on "chemo brain" and make your own decision.

What do you guys think?

Why are you doubting this was caused by Accutane? I suffered from this as a result of Accutane, as well as many other people. Accutane was originally developed as a chemotherapy drug (I don't know if it was ever used for that) and functions a lot like chemotherapy drugs do. Many people who take chemotherapy end up with symptoms classified as "chemo brain". This term includes symptoms dealing with the brain such as memory loss and overall "brain fog". Many of these patients don't get this effect until years after taking the chemo. This is kind of like my situation. I didn't get a majority of my side effects, including "brain fog", until a couple years after my Accutane course. Now let me warn you, there will be a lot of pro Accutane people who will post that your "brain fog" is unrelated to Accutane because the problem manifested after your treatment. They will say it is due to something else and it is probably conincidence this happened so closely to you completing Accutane. Do some research on "chemo brain" and make your own decision.

Wow, I guess chemo brain could be my cause. I only took 19 pills of 40mg Accutane however... although I guess we all react to it differently...

I WISH I COULD GO BACK IN TIME.

The reason I took accutane is because my cousin and my sister both took it, and had perfect results. They no longer had acne at the end of their treatment. And after attempting numerous methods of getting rid of my acne, nothing worked. So I decided to go on accutane in the hopes of getting clear skin easily like my family members. I was completely disregarding the side-effects because I was so desperate for clear skin... I was only thinking of the positive outcome. If I knew what I know now back then, I would have never touched the stuff. I'm unsure if Accutane is my cause, but it's looking more and more like it. I wish I go go back in time, this shit is debilitating. I feel constantly exhausted... FUCK FUCK FUCK. I'm fucking screaming in my house right now at the thought that Accutane could have permanently changed my life for the worse... I need help...