Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
abcDonna

Finally Going on Accutane!

Hi Donna,

Let me answer your Q's

1. I had to wait around a 1 month because i had to get on birthcontrol for a month before going to see my dermatologist again and be prescribed Accutane. Oh BTW I hate Ipledge jk it's not that bad.

2. I had very minimal back acne. I mean I did have it but it wasn't a lot (during my earlier teen years I had really bad back acne and was so ashamed of it but it went away after I used vinegar oil but I'm sure I just grew out of it). Yes, accutane helped my minimal back acne...my skin's texture is really soft. It probably took 2 months or so.

3. AQUAPHOR at night. Aquaphor feels like vaseline, kinda slimy/sticky, during the day some good chaptick would be best. I use a Nivea brand one. It works well.

4. Not really. When washing your face don't use anything that has salicylic acid or anything, it'll just make your skin drier and probably burn. When and if you get your IB the acne does hurt. The 1st or 2nd month is when your acne flares up and it can be painful but it'll go away. I recommend using Cetaphil daily facial wash when you wash your face. Try to not touch your face or pick at it.

TIP: Try to stay away from any acne spot treaments (like neutrogena, clean and clear, clearisil etc.) just let the Accutane do its magic. Also MOISTURISE and drink lots of water!

Thank you so much for all your help/advice! I'm going to see how my lips feel throughout it - then go about and buy whatever I need to buy ;p I'm excited!!

So, I just finished my first day of Accutane yesterday - yay! I'm not sure if it reacts this fast or not, but my lips are drier than usual (only slightly), and my face feels a bit drier but I like it since my skin is usually all gross when waking up!

Only hoping for more positive outcomes along the way. I'll keep you all updated :D

I'm still hesitant to post pictures even though I know a lot of people do :(

So... just a question before I sleep (4:30am anyone? eek) Anyone experience dryness in your... nose? I feel like I have a cut on the inside of my nose near the bone/septum and it hurts so bad when I move my nose like it's going to bleed or something. Any suggestions on what to do if it doesn't gradually get better on its own? :X Let me know :D

Goodnight! :)

Yep I get that all the time. Get some aquaphor, put it on the tip of a cotton swab (Q-tip) and twirl it around in your nose. This will help. If you don't, eventually it WILL start bleeding (mine does when I forget) but don't panic, it's just dry and cracked...

Yep I get that all the time. Get some aquaphor, put it on the tip of a cotton swab (Q-tip) and twirl it around in your nose. This will help. If you don't, eventually it WILL start bleeding (mine does when I forget) but don't panic, it's just dry and cracked...

Okay! Thanks :D

So... I definitely just got like 5 or so whiteheads on my neck and face! I'm trying to not let it bother me. Staying positive! But my face itches, not like mosquito bite itch but I just want to pick at pimples/my face in general which I never do (I cannot pick a pimple for the life of me haha). Any suggestions on what products i can use to ease the itchy-annoying-tingly feeling that makes me want to scrape my face off?!! Oils (tea tree, jojoba, emu, etc)? Let me know :D

maybee jus use cool water ?

like everyday after you wash your face wit warm water

splash your face with cool water

jus to relieve any tingliness / redness

oh it also helps to close your pores

it really helped with me :)

goodluck :banana:

Yeah I don't know, my skin is ALWAYS itchy now. I find myself scratching it without noticing and then I'lllook in the mirror and have these big red lines on my face because my skin is SO sensitive, if i just TOUCH it I get big red marks (they go away after like 5 minutes but they are embarrasing for those 5 minutes!)

I went clothes shopping yesterday and just the clothes touching my face when I was trying them on made it look like someone had beaten me up. It was embarrasing.

Yeah I don't know, my skin is ALWAYS itchy now. I find myself scratching it without noticing and then I'lllook in the mirror and have these big red lines on my face because my skin is SO sensitive, if i just TOUCH it I get big red marks (they go away after like 5 minutes but they are embarrasing for those 5 minutes!)

I went clothes shopping yesterday and just the clothes touching my face when I was trying them on made it look like someone had beaten me up. It was embarrasing.

Eeek that really sucks :( I was hoping for some good comments lol. It's okay though, I'll bear with it ;p

So I suppose I should be "logging" my Accutane journey... I don't want to do it everyday though - I'll go crazy staring at my face and analyzing it all the time xD But I will go with what I've experienced so far!

Day 1:

Nothing new after finishing day 1. The only difference (not even entirely sure if it's from the Accutane or not), was extreme fatigue and I was unable to get out of my bed because my body hurt. Same with day 2, nothing new at all - no side effects.

Day 3:

Well I woke up with 6 whiteheads D: I've never gotten whiteheads on my face before... it was weird. I usually just get red cysts/little pimples everywhere. But as soon as I washed my face they went away (sort of, some are still there). As for side effects, still haven't experienced any dryness (yay?), but my body is a lot more fatigued and my joints are a bit achy (should I get some fish oil pills for this? been hearing it helps :X)

Day 4 (today):

Nothing new.... I'm so confused lol >_< I read so many of your logs, and most of you experience a lot even within the first week - I've barely experienced anything! Just formed a (sort of) big red pimple where a whitehead once was. Aside from that... nothing! Same joint pain and fatigue - I could stay in bed all day. Although... my wisdom tooth is popping out more and it hurts. I don't know if gums/teeth related stuff go along with being on Accutane... haha.

That's it for now then (:

Oh question - I know it's not recommended to use facial cleansers with Salicylic Acid while on Accutane, but is it bad? Because I LOVE this one I've been using for a month now - it feels so nice; it's a Green Tea Cleanser with 2% salicylic acid. Let me know :D

Byebye(:

Edited by abcDonna

hey! just be urself! i on my 4th month of accutane and everything's fine. Just get on with life and eventually having clear skin is gonna be part of ur life.

Maybe U would want to eat supplements like vitamin E, placebo effect or whatsoeva is good (nt vitamin A of cos), so long u think its good for ur body :)

inChv: Thanks (: I'm thinking of getting some Vitamin E and B tablets, especially to help with my lack of energy D:

So, since we can't intake any Vitamin A, is it bad to eat foods with a lot of Vitamin A? This may be a stupid question but I really don't know :X I'm eating lots of spinach right now lol, and I know it's a good source of Vitamin A.... is that bad? What do you think?

don't know about the food, but as far as the face wash goes just monitor your skin. You'll know when you shouldn't be using it anymore because your skin will get super sensitive. I'm STILL using a bunch of harsh shit on my nose though cause that never got sensitive and is still blackhead-y, so just pay attention to the condition ofyour skin and listen to what it needs :)

And don't worry about not having the side effects others are. Everyone is different! It's working, don't worry!

don't know about the food, but as far as the face wash goes just monitor your skin. You'll know when you shouldn't be using it anymore because your skin will get super sensitive. I'm STILL using a bunch of harsh shit on my nose though cause that never got sensitive and is still blackhead-y, so just pay attention to the condition ofyour skin and listen to what it needs :)

And don't worry about not having the side effects others are. Everyone is different! It's working, don't worry!

BorntoRun: Thank you! I'm only using it in the morning now, and it doesn't seem to be doing any harm so far, which is good!

Today marks the FIRST FINISHED WEEK of Accutane! Hoorayyy! It actually is going by pretty fast, which I'm pretty stoked about.

Let's see....

Side effects: A lot more fatigued, but I'm able to retain and regain my energy with coffee and just forcing myself, especially since it's the holiday season so I'm already giddy and energetic xD. No dry lips or anything like that (yet?), just my skin is a bit dry, really no difference though. My gums still hurt >_< But I need to see the dentist already anyway heh.

Acne: I get whiteheads on my face now, maybe one every other day, I never use to at all. They don't bother me so much since they go away quite fast. Except... they leave red painful cysts sometimes if they don't go away all together :( Which sucks, I hate putting make-up over it or even washing my face eek. I woke up a bit ago with a few on my jawline OH MY GOODNESS I hate these so much! They're just uncomfortable and annoying! And some others on the sides of my cheeks close to my ears >_< I'm not getting that bothered though because I'm use to getting new ones just about every day, if not a few times a week. Sooo hopefully I won't be that afraid of my IB if I do get one :X Also a few new ones on my back. Hopefully they'll clear up soon - I heard your back clears up faster than face? If so YAY!

I spent 2 hours at CVS trying to pick out make-up. Bought some mineral loose powder and mineral compact powder and... yeah I can't wear powder anymore lol - it looked AWFUL and just flakey and dry. So weird since I've ALWAYS had oily skin throughout my entire day so I'd only wear powder and now I had to switch to liquid! Hopefully it's not too harsh on my skin, I got a natural mineral kind free of all that harmful junk. I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested! Does anyone use any (drugstore, sine I can't afford anything else heh) make-up that they absolutely love/recommend? Let me know!

STILL hesitant about posting pictures haha :P We'll see :3 maybe I'll crop my face out. I'm nervous! Lol.

Have a good day everyone <3

Blah so I am definitely going through my IB :( I have so many ugly cysts on my face and along my jawline! Winter break starts tomorrow so I'm hoping this new make-up I bought will help cover it all up D:

It's a bit painful.. or rather... just annoying since I can FEEL them without actually touching - you know what I mean? :3

I hope it goes away soon, I'm so UGH right now >_< Hope you're all having a better day :)

It's a bit painful.. or rather... just annoying since I can FEEL them without actually touching - you know what I mean? :3

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I hate it when I can "feel" them. It makes me feel SO self conscious!

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I hate it when I can "feel" them. It makes me feel SO self conscious!

Me too :( I'm going out practically this entire break with friends and such so I'm really hoping it dies down a bit. Although I'm really lucky to have a best friend who supports me so much, says I'm beautiful either way, and that I cover it up very well with make-up which is great haha.

Has anyone watched their acne get worse just throughout the course of a day?! This morning I took pictures and then all of a sudden a few hours ago BOOM these giant cysts and whiteheads appear! Wth D: Gonna keep praying though it gets better :3

Night! ^_^

Hangggg in there. And I've noticed it too how much quicker the acne is evolving. Like yesterday morning I had a clogged pore, yesterday night I had a big red pus-filled spot, I popped it and now this morning I have a REALLY dark red inflamed spot. It's never been this quick before. Usually it takes like a week to change color and all that goodness lol.

Eeeek help!!

So I have no idea what happened but.... I have 3 pills left in my 20mg box which I take in the evening, and 1 pill left in my 30mg box which I take in the morning... What should I do? Just even it out myself and take the 20mg evening one now, and in the evening? That way I'll have one left in each box and can just go from there like normal....

My doctors office is being stupid! Help please haha.

I would just try to even it out as much as possible but don't worry. Even if you missed an entire week it won't affect your course. Relax :)

I would just try to even it out as much as possible but don't worry. Even if you missed an entire week it won't affect your course. Relax :)

Ahh thank you! They finally called me back and told me to just forget about those pills and go about my normal routine, even if there are leftovers in the end of my first month. So... yay. Haha.

I have this red ring formed around my lips now, and if I don't apply chapstick, it makes me want to lick them really bad but then they get worse and worse... like a bunch of lines on them, really dry to the point where I can't smile it's so weird O_O But chapstick<3333

Day 9 and I'm still breaking out pretty bad from starting my IB a few days ago. It's ok though - totally staying positive!

Have a good weekend everyone!

So it's currently Day 12.

I'm waking up with redder lips every day and they're just dry aruond the edges, and chapstick helps right away so that's good!

The left side of my face looks pretty clear except for a giant red bump that I feel won't go away for a while >_< The right side of my face is pretty much covered in red spots )= Along with my jawline and some on my neck. My back is looking really good, not ONE active since I got on Accutane which I'm very very happy about! You can still see my scars though but that's okay. Better than nasty pimples.

I also just got my period so that could play role in me getting a lot more actives on my face right now. We'll see once the week is over! All in all though I'm feeling pretty ok about it. Haven't had a day of oily skin (I usually have VERY oily shiny skin!) so I'm happy about that (except the make-up part... it always looks flaky now no matter what I try!)

Blah another thing is that I accidentally took my night pill in the morning and vice a versa like 3 times now >_< SO my boxes are still uneven but my doctor said to just keep going and not try to even them out myself. I need to put them in little containers, these boxes are confusing me!

Hope you all had a great weekend! I really am thinking of putting my pictures up... I've been taking them since day 1 just haven't been brave enough to post them here :X

Awww glad to hear everything is going okay and that you are keeping a positive attitude! Whether or not you post pictures is your choice but we will sure as hell be supportive :) It sounds like accutane is working for you :)

Awww glad to hear everything is going okay and that you are keeping a positive attitude! Whether or not you post pictures is your choice but we will sure as hell be supportive :) It sounds like accutane is working for you :)

I think I might post pics :3 It's weird though because I don't know what is more accurate - webcam camera, regular camera, or me looking in the mirror. Because the mirror looks bad but not awful, the webcam shows all the impurities and I'm using that to track my progress, then my regular camera is like HOLY HELL WHAT DESTROYED YOUR FACE? I just took a picture with it (without flash too) and I wanted to cry..... omg. I'm having a party/sleepover tonight too so I'm nervous being without make-up :( (I really don't want to wear make-up at my house/for a sleepover with all girls...)

Any advice/reassurance/SOMETHING? D; I feel like crap. And I'm on my period. Ugh! >_<

Think about the bigger picture, when you see your face now, just think...all you little buggers will soon be banished from my lovely complexion so you best enjoy your stay!

Your friends wont care, I know that doesnt make it easier but theyre the ones that can look past your skin, just have a laugh and enjoy yourself :).

p.s post pics too!