Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
abcDonna

Finally Going on Accutane!

Hello everyone! I'm honestly not sure where to begin here, and I don't want to bore you all with my life story and acne obstacles... but I feel everyone here is really supportive of one another, giving encouragement and motivation, so I hope I don't drive any of you away - I'd love all the support I can get! :D

History

I'm 19 years old (20 in a month), and I've had acne since I was 10. I can't even repeat that - I hate thinking about it. I'll never forget the first pimple I had right on my cheek - big, red, noticeable, and not covered up because who wears make-up at that age?! The next couple of years, I never really did anything about it, since I, like many most likely, assumed it would go away after getting through puberty and all the icky stuff. I was wrong :( During middle school, my face began to get extremely oily and that's when I started to wear make-up. I knew nothing about make-up whatsoever though, other than getting oil-free products, which I did/still do. As time went by though, I noticed my face beginning to get worse, and I also developed some body acne - back and arms. I was embarrassed to wear anything strapless (I still am, I never do and I hate it so much), and make-up didn't help my face since I didn't know how to wear it very well, and my skin was just so oily! I eventually tried Retin-A, Topicort, and Differen; Retin-A made my skin extremely red, and Differen just made... no difference, and Topicort broke me out a lot more! As I entered high school, I had a year where my skin randomly became much better, I had no idea how but I was pretty confident! I had very minimal body acne too. Around the age of 15-16 though, it all came back, and it came back bad. I ended up trying Differen again and several topical ointments, began using various kinds of face washes - fragrance free, natural, medical - you name it, I tried it - even tried high percentages of benzoyl peroxide (which I found out I was allergic to), and salicylic acid (which did nothing to me or made me break out more). Nothing seemed to work. I've heard of Accutane at the time, since my sister took it, but my mom was so against it and I was afraid, too, since I didn't study it much and just heard all the negative aspects about it, unfortunately. Time went by, and my body acne got much, much worse (SO much scarring), along with my face. This continued until around the age of 18. From then until a earlier this year, my skin was doing OK again - not so oily, no big cysts, a lot of scarring leftover but not too many pimples that I wasn't able to cover up. However, earlier this year, it all came back again! I tried everything from changing my diet, changing the fabric of my clothing and sheets, and eventually went on Aczone and Differen again. They told me that they changed the ingredients in Differen, and I could tell, it did help my skin, as well as Aczone which I really liked. But still... nothing seemed to be helping it go away or making it lessen, they just... felt good on my skin and decreased the size of my pimples. At that same time, the dermatologist also gave me Doryx, which, like everything else I've tried, did absolutely nothing!! I was going crazy (still am). I honestly would feel like the most confident person in the universe if I didn't have acne - that is THE one thing that stops me from doing a lot, stops me from being happy with the way I look and feeling good about myself in general. I KNEW it was time to go on Accutane - it was my only hope and absolute last resort. So I made an appointment with my dermatologist for this Monday, in hopes of finally going on it and seeing some changes.

Am I scared? Yes. Excited, though? Absolutely! I definitely would love to keep an Accutane log, and show you all my progress, to get opinions on how you all think I am doing (since outsiders' perspectives can be different, which I need!)

I would love to known a few general things, which I'm sure tons of people have asked/answered.

1. When going to the doctor inquiring about Accutane and they decide it's right to put you on it, do you get the prescription right away, like any other drug? I'm asking because I know you have to go through work to sign papers or something like that - I'm juts so eager to start Monday when I go!!
  2. Were there any side effects to your body acne? If so, what? Does it take longer to heal than your face? What's the difference?
  3. What is the best thing to use for chapped lips?
  4. Does it hurt to wash your face or touch it as the acne gets worse?
  5. Any other suggestions, tips, advice? :)

If you've read this far, thank you so much! I really appreciate all the help, encouragement, advice, suggestions, etc etc... in advance. I can't wait to start this journey, and I KNOW it will be well worth the time and struggle (I really hope so at least) :D

I'll be back with an update after my appointment this Monday! Wish me lucky everyone! <3

~Donna

Edited by abcDonna

Well I'm just starting so I won't have a lot of answers but i just wanted to lend some support :) I'll be starting Monday too because I was supposed to start this past thursday but there have been pharmacy screw ups :( blahh!

Anyway,

1. When going to the doctor inquiring about Accutane and they decide it's right to put you on it, do you get the prescription right away, like any other drug? I'm asking because I know you have to go through work to sign papers or something like that - I'm juts so eager to start Monday when I go!!

Answer: No, you have to go through this giant process including a 30 day wait from when they decide to put you on it and when you can get the script. You'll also have to get blood tested and put in the IPledge system and all that fun stuff :)

2. Were there any side effects to your body acne? If so, what? Does it take longer to heal than your face? What's the difference?

Answer: No idea sorry :( But I've heard good things from other people :)

Answer: I hear aquaphor ointment, they sell it in little tiny tubes that works great as lip stuff and they also sell it in bigger bottles for the rest of your cracked skin :D

Answer: No idea but I'd assume so if they are painful zits :( it already hurts to wash my face lol

5. Any other suggestions, tips, advice? smile.gif

Not Yet :) LOL!

Can't wait to follow your journey!

Sadly you have to wait 30 days to be put into the system, etc. I didn't know this when I went to the dermatologist and was ready to cry. So frustrating to wait longer! But hang in there, the month will fly by.

I don't have body acne but I have seen people have a lot of success with Accutane and body acne.

I too recommend Aquaphor. Make sure to drink lots of water, or else your lips will be swollen and unbearable. My second favorite is Carmex.

I don't think that Accutane makes your zits painful. If you get painful acne already and your face hurts when you currently wash it then it'll hurt. But if your pimples don't hurt right now, they likely won't on Accutane...hope that makes sense.

5. Any other suggestions, tips, advice?

Water, water, patience, and water :)

Good luck with everything and feel free to ask questions!

For Qu.2

My body acne didn't really experience an initial breakout, although my face certainly did. My body acne is also clearing up faster than my face, I'm only on day 28 and my back is clearing well but my face isn't :confused:

Good luck on your course when you finally start :angel:

Edited by spots_go_away

Wow thank you all SO much for your support and advice!! I really appreciate it.

I'm so excited to see my progress, I'm going to try to be as patient as possible, even during the 30 day wait - eek D;

I will definitely keep you guys posted after tomorrow!

:D

I'm so excited to see my progress, I'm going to try to be as patient as possible, even during the 30 day wait - eek D;

You don't look like you have any acne, just sayin.

You don't look like you have any acne, just sayin.

I'll post a picture with no make-up tomorrow and from now on, of course. Trust me, I get really upset when I see video/picture logs of people who have clear skin and 1 or 2 pimples or something, and they go on Accutane. I'll admit I'm pretty good at hiding most of it with lots of make-up and a good camera... heh /:

I'll post a picture with no make-up tomorrow and from now on, of course. Trust me, I get really upset when I see video/picture logs of people who have clear skin and 1 or 2 pimples or something, and they go on Accutane. I'll admit I'm pretty good at hiding most of it with lots of make-up and a good camera... heh /:

LOL Same here! I'm SO good at covering this crap up especially for photos. I have people tell me all the time who see my pictures online "You don't even have acne". Yeah.... no... I'm just really good at theater-facial-art :)

Great luck! Can't wait to read how your appt went!

Hehe exactly Lauren!

Ahh I had to change my appointment to tomorrow - SO frustrating, I just want to get going already!! But it's okay, one more day! :D

It's 12pm, my appointment is at 2:45 today! I'm so nervous/curious/excited/anxious - so weird to feel that way about the doctor's... but you all understand!!

I really hope it goes well... unfortunately I'm with a different doctor but hopefully I can switch back to mine asap!

Wish me luck :pray:

Omg :wall::mad:

Is someone cursing me so I keep having to reschedule my appointment?! I'm going insane... I got lost and stuck in traffic for over an hour, had to miss my appointment AND job interview I had.

Great. I know I'm ranting but... any words of motivation would be great :|

It'll happen eventually! Just think how long you've been dealing with acne, another couple months even would be just a drop in the bucket lol!

Maybe u don't have to wait so long to get prescription. I had a derm appointment on Friday, did my blood test on Monday and then fri again derm appointment and got my prescription. Unless it's different in Canada.

Edited by dnyc

Lauren :Thank you :| That's very true. I actually got to switch my appointment with my original doctor which I'm REALLY happy about, so it all worked out (:

dnyc: I hope I don't have to wait that long! That's so frustrating but it is worth the wait either way (hopefully...)

I need some help!

So for the past (about) 3 weeks, my face has gotten much more oily than ever and it's like I can FEEL my acne.. if that makes sense. Not just one or two big ones that throb, but everything just itches. Because of this (I think it's because of that?), I've gotten huge red pimples - so ugly D:

I'm not interested in knowing why (well sure it'd be nice lol but I just want to get rid of it now!), but rather, I would like to know any recommendations for products that relieve itching, redness, and excessively oily skin from acne! It hurts and I always feel gross :(

Please let me know if you know of any :D I cannot use anything with fragrance so keep that in mind please :D

This post actually really helped me:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/cyst-pimp...it-t166343.html

Especially the part about ice... I have this cold pack that was made for lower backs but when my face gets really bad all over I just lay it on my face for a few minutes at a time to "calm things down". Ice really helps.... I'm not sure about itching though :(

Thanks Lauren! I never thought of that, I'll definitely have to give it a try. What about excessively oily skin? Do you know of anything that can help that? I use a toner throughout the day with witch hazel but it only helps for literally like 10 minutes :(

OH also for anyone reading - I need a good, gentle exfoliator and/or mask to use once a week or so. I know many might say they aren't good for acne prone skin, but they are good in general and I need one badly! Fragrance and oil free please :D

Edited by abcDonna

Hi everyone!

Just thought I would fill you in and let you know that my derm appt is FINALLY today at 3:30pm. I'm SO nervous and I don't know why. Rescheduling so many times after I've already waited years has made me more anxious I guess :| But wish me luck? :X I'll come back with a little report~

Im in the same boat im going to my derm in december for an appointment. I have been dealing with scne scince I was 11 and I am about to turn 20. I shudder to think about this. Anyway I wish you luck and out of curiosity my birthday is on the 22nd of this mounth and I was wondering if your's is?

Im in the same boat im going to my derm in december for an appointment. I have been dealing with scne scince I was 11 and I am about to turn 20. I shudder to think about this. Anyway I wish you luck and out of curiosity my birthday is on the 22nd of this mounth and I was wondering if your's is?

Hello everyone!

I just (well 2 hrs ago heh, but had to go grocery shop!) got back from the dermatologist, and can I tell you... I AM SO EXCITED!

I love my doctor so much, and I'm so happy I got to see her instead of someone else. She got right down to business and agreed that I definitely needed to go on Accutane because my "face is a mess" :( But I'm not sad... I'm seriously so excited.

I received all the iPledge forms, got my blood drawn, and I'm going to the gynecologist this week hopefully to get all that female stuff completed. My next appointment is December 2nd where I will actually (hopefully, right?) receive my first prescription of Accutane! :D

I can't WAIT! I'll start posting pictures when the day gets closer, then officially begin my journey.

Optomistic Girl: Coincidence! Same age and everything hehe. My birthday is on the 18th though xD But close! I wish you all the best - are you keeping a log?

Oh I also have a question for the ladies:

If any of you are sexually active, did you stay abstinent during the duration of you on Accutane or did you take birth control pills? I don't know what to do... I know I have to take it if I choose to not stay abstinent, but people are worrying me about being on the pill at the same time as Accutane... so any advice on that? Does it effect you at all while you're on Accutane? I really would prefer not taking it at all (I could stay abstinent, I have a very supportive boyfriend but just in-case we decide in the middle of my duration on tane....) Help :|

Edited by abcDonna

Sorry I'm posting so much but I need advice D: Nobody seems to be answering me anyway :(

I'd like to know how you all feel about emu oil vs jojoba oil. I haven't tried either, but I've heard both work very well.

I have VERY oily & sensitive skin, so I'd like one that can possibly help reduce the oil and the inflammation/redness of my acne. Also, I heard one (I forgot which) can act as a moisturizer as well? What about with make-up? Or would I need to continue my current moisturizer as well or can I add it to my moisturizer?

Help!

Edited by abcDonna