Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maria26

So Tired of this

I'm 38yrs old and have had acne since grammar school. I pick at it and that makes it worse. I have lunch plans with a co-worker and just want to cancel. I picked last night and my face hurts. It makes me feel so ugly. My skin is so oily too. I was on accutane a few months ago and my skin was great - not oily at all. I'm at the end of my rope with my skin. JUST SICK & TIRED. I have three beautiful children and husband, and I spend so much time obsessing about my bad skin. I feel so self conscious at work, if only I oculd have nice skin.

I understand. I'm a mother and wife as well. Luckily, although my husband doesn't understand my obsession with my skin, he deals with it and keeps letting me try out products that probably cost too much, but he never complains. I stopped picking my skin, changed my diet and changed my skincare to more natural stuff and it has helped alot, but I'm still not clear. Not sure if I ever will be :cry:

Hi,

I'm sorry about how you feel. I am only 24, (turning 25 in two weeks :)) but I have had bad acne for the past 5 years. it gets really hard for me since im at dating age, i wonder if I'll ever be able to show a guy i'm seeing my broken out face w/o makeup.

I totally get where you're coming from with wanting to cancel plans. I feel like that all the time. I dont wear makeup to work and feel very insecure about my appearance, while other people look great.

talking about it here has started to help me, and I have been seeing an improvement with my regimen and maybe a little optimism.

I find that the less i hate my skin, the better it is getting, crazy as it sounds. And the better it gets the less i hate it.

On top of breakouts, i have red marks, scars and very very oily skin. Steaming and applying a clay mask (queen helen) once or twice a week helps. also, i carry blotting papers or straigtup use those brown napkins from dunkin donuts or chipotle (which by the way, work better than blotting papers, so dont think im wierd lol, try it)

I hope it gets better for you, I hope talking about helps, like its helping me.

Hi there.

I too am 38 with long-standing acne (well, have had quite a few clearish spells, but it always comes back) and oily skin. I so know how you feel.

But at least you have a husband and family and they love you for who you are.

Hi,

I just turned 45 and have been struggling with this skin for 32 years! I'm about to begin my 3rd round of Accutane in a few weeks. I did have a couple of years of clear skin :dance: following the Accutane treatments (1st time around the mid 1990s, last time ending in 2003), but here we go again! I've always had acne but it keeps changing forms. Right now I have a lovely combo of wrinkles and acne! You know what? I'd take the wrinkles any day! They're not bad but really show up when pimples form in them (blech!). Accutane is the only thing that has helped me and I do believe that even if this round doesn't clear it up permanently, it will last a few years. I'm really looking forward to it. No more cancelled appointments, putting off seeing people I miss, not looking people in the eye when I talk to them! I know Accutane has it's side effects and everyone is different. My first experience was very dry eyes and lips, but nothing unbearable. My second round came ad went with no side-effects at all! Maybe it could help you.

My husband is as understanding as he can be (w/o REALLY understanding it!). At least he tries. My son is turning 11 and, although he hasn't said anything, I can tell he's beginning to notice. I worry that his friends might notice and say things, too. Can you believe I'm self-conscious in front of 11 year-olds?

I know just how you feel. I am so sorry you are going through this. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. The hardest part is that those who haven't been through it think it's silly. It's not about vanity--it goes much deeper than that. Finding acne.org and all of you who understand has been the most comforting thing. I wish you the best of luck an dI hope acne.org eases some of your emotional difficulty.

Where do you go to get allergy tested?has thisd helped anyone at all with there acne?

I've been dealing with acne for 10 years now on and off. I know what it feels like to just want to stay home because your skin is so bad even make up doesnt help. Don't give up hope though. Right now I've been reseaching if any of the food I'm eating could be causing my acne. I'm planing on getting an allergy test and cutting out dairy and wheat products to see if it helps. Don't give up yet.

I found this post and some general info on food allergies and acne below. Warning Long Post :)

"Acne For 47 Years!!! Food Allergy Cause

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had acne for 47 years!!! From 11 years old to 58!!! I suffered immensely, wore thick make-up and refrained from socializing. In my 58th year, I wanted to lose weight for my 40th high school reunion. I went on a diet replacing all meals with a popular diet drink (chocolate). I lost 30 lbs and my acne. As I carefully replaced my diet drink with real food, I slowly became aware that breakouts started the day after I ingested certain acids; onions, scallions and citric acid.

My acne was actually precipitated by a food allergy. I had heard of breaking out in a rash or hives as a result of a food sensitivity, but never big, red, painful acne pustules. I had gone to many doctors, and none of them ever brought up the possibility that my skin could be reacting to what would otherwise be considered healthful, nutritious food.

I completely eliminated from my diet all onions, many fruits and anything with citric acid on the label or in the ingredients. I can eat apples, bananas, peaches, cantaloupe and even tomatoes; but not oranges, grapefruit, lemons, nectarines, honeydew, blueberries, etc. I don’t know why I can eat some fruits and not others. It is probably related to the amount of citric acid that the fruit contains. But onion (a very ubiquitous vegetable!!) is the worst offender.

All of this all has made me very careful as to what I eat, especially in restaurants. I'm in my 60's now, and my skin is totally clear. It is such a relief to look in the mirror at a face that is not ravaged with disgusting pimples and pustules! I have a few lines (ha ha!), but my skin feels strong and healthy and my face DOESN'T HURT ANYMORE! And I never wear make-up. An added bonus: dark chocolate makes my skin glow!

Others with an acne problem may not have the same cause as mine did, but I really want those sufferers to consider that the cause might be a food that offends their particular system–where, for everyone else, the same food is just healthful and nutritious. I hope my experience can help others who are suffering from this ego-crushing and life-limiting malady." -

"Acne: How Food Can Cause It

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acne develops from inside the body, not outside. The skin is an organ, and it is an organ of elimination. We eliminate waste products through our skin, just as we loose minerals when we sweat.

Too many toxins inside the body can lead to inflammation in the skin resulting in clogged pores and acne. In order to treat the cause of the acne we must first remove the toxins.

Why Do Antibiotics Help, but Only Temporarily?

The inflamed and clogged pores of acne become infected. This is what causes puss. Antibiotics may help treat this infection. Unfortunately, acne comes back when the antibiotics are discontinued because the underlying cause that leads to inflammation and clogged pores, toxins in the body, still exists.

What Foods Cause Acne?

There isn’t just one food that causes acne. Any food allergy is capable of causing acne. However, the most common cause of acne is dairy and gluten products.

Why Is It So Difficult to Recognize One's Own Food Allergy?

This is problematic because of the often delayed nature of food allergies. Allergy symptoms may show up hours or even a day later, after a food is well absorbed into your system. And acne generally doesn’t come and go quickly enough to be associated with food.

This difficulty is compounded by the fact that certain foods, such as dairy and wheat, are so prevalent in our diet that many people eat them nearly every day. Therefore connecting your symptoms with your eating habits is often nearly impossible.

How Do I Determine if I Have a Food Allergy?

The only sure way to determine if you have a food allergy is to have your blood tested for antibodies to a variety of foods."

Where do you go to get allergy tested?has thisd helped anyone at all with there acne?

I dont know im guessing the first place to ask would be the doctor? I am thinking about getting tested too, i have spent 10 years thinking my acne is hormone related as i was on contraception injection which can make acne worse, but 4 months after coming off it and my chest acne has virtually gone but my face acne is as bad as ever which makes me wonder if its an allergy. I dont eat alot of carbs/wheat/gluten so im wondering if it is dairy or fruit or something.

My face makes me feel like a skank and that i dont deserve to be treated with loving respect from my partner. Even though i take pride in being clean & well presented my facial skin just looks dirty because of all the red marks and spots its horrible.