Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sevin_nyne

Retin-A gel 0.01% & Acanya Gel

Hi, my name is michael. I'm 23 yrs old, male with i guess i'd say combination skin. i'm starting this thread just so everyone can see the products i'm using and how they work out for me.

Currently I'd say my skin condition is pretty bad. I never really broke out as a teen so i guess i suffer from adult acne. i have tried proactiv before and i was fairly pleasant with the result but i would keep breaking out so i figured something was wrong. i even tried dan's products. they worked just as well as the proactiv.

I have a fair complexion, with i'd say many marks. i guess hyperpigmentation. i am mixed so i'm half asian and white. so i think the asian side adds to the sensitivity to my skin or so my dermatologist claims.

I visit my dermatologist around October 8th 2010. She prescribed me Acanya gel, for morning use only, once a day. And retin-a GEL 0.01% every night.

I wanna say my skin condition is pretty bad but i've seen worse. If you'd like to see some pictures just email and i'll get them to you asap.

So i have been using acanya gel and retin a for a little over a week and a half. i am writing this on October 21. so i have been using these products for about 13 days. almost two weeks. both of these products say you should use them for at least 12 weeks to see results. i am going to consistantly use them just because i feel that they will help clear me completely. hopefully.

my experience so far with the acanya gel. well youre just supposed to use a pea size so i try my best to use a "pea size" it's actually really hard to understand by what they mean when they say pea size lol. but i use enough to cover my entire face. i let that dry and then use proactiv moisturizer since i have some left while i was using proactiv. i think the acanya is working cuz it has BP2.5% (benzoly peroxide) and also an antibiotic. my experience with this is that it does shrink the pimple size and reduce the redness so i like it. i am still breaking out but they are minimal (besides the one i have on my nose which is HUGE cuz i touched it) the others are small and usually go away in a couple of days.

my experience with the retin-a GEL 0.01%. i think that is the lowest percent of retin-a gel. i think it's better to use the gel, because i believe the cream has a pore clogging ingredient. the cream is primarily for wrinkles. the experience with the gel is also pretty good. i think this product does talk a lot of time because it increases skin cell reproduction, so what that means is that it regenerates skin cells and pushes the old cells to the surface, and since some have bacteria that is why i break out. but with the gel my skin complexion seems to get more even (besides the red marks) and it's a lot smoother.

irritation? not much really. i just get more fustrated when i see a new pimple. but i know i gotta keep at it for a couple of weeks more. if within 2 months i dont see results that id like i'll be visiting my derm to see what is going on.

i decided to write this because it'll help with my fustration. i hope i help you guys out well. feel free to ask me any questions, leave advice, suggestions, comments, etc.

thank you.

michael.

Ok, so i'm about 4 weeks in with acanya gel and retin a gel 0.01%

i am still breaking out. it kinda sucks. i mean i just have two major big ones. but the rest of my skin is kinda discolored. my forehead is still clear and my nose is clearing up.

i am using cetaphil face wash morning and night.

then morning thin layer of acanya (sometimes adding moisturizer)

at night i apply thin layer of retin-a gel 0.01%

i still dont know how much longer i should be using these together to get full results. i know both of them say wait up to 3 months. but i am a month in, shouldnt i have past the initial break out already? cuz i am still getting zits :( kinda depressing.

any pointers? thanks.

i know! i'm at 12 days on the acanya & retin-a micro; some spots cleared up while now other places are breaking out for me...yeah it does say 3-4months to see optimum results so dont give up! you've gone this far...skin is purging itself and will eventually stop ;) but yeah for now it is very depressing for me too and stressful...i dont want to go anywhere unless i have to-work/school...just think by the new year ur skin will look much better ;)

so wanted to add a quick update

so im about a month and 2 weeks in using retina 0.01% gel and acanya.

so far i dont know. my skin breaks out one day and then it's fine the next.

i still have some pimples. but theyre just whiteheads mostly which i find strange.

i know it says it takes 3 months for the clearing to begin but still it's a long and frustrating time.

im starting to think that retin-a isnt even working. i know i havent given it enough time but honest to say i think i was more content with the results from proactiv or even dans regimen.

what should i do?

ok so imma be honest. it's been 2 months this week using acanya and retin-a and believe my skin is a lot worst than it was when i first went to the dermatologist.

i made an appointment with her next thursday to see what excuse she'll give me. and i think i may ask her to increase the percentage of my retin-a from 0.01% to 0.025% i hope that makes a difference.

i'll update next thursday

hmmmmm so i think it's about time for an update. i saw my dermatologist again about id say 3 weeks ago. she added to my acanya and retina 0.01% gel regimen, doxycycline hyclate. 50mg 1 pill in the am and 2 in the pm. so for the three weeks i discovered certain things. my skin got worst once again. so i thought to myself maybe i am applying too much to my face. SO i stopped acanya. so for id say the past week i have just been using my retina at night and i take 2 doxycycline pills in the am and in the evening. and my skin is clearing up! it's not 100% yet but im confident it is. i finally hit the 3 month with retina which was hard but it all seems to be clearing. and i mean everything. my marks, acne, everything. im excited to see how it is with one more month. so good luck to everyone. i will update again.

so today was my fourth dermatologist appointment. it was very upsetting. she feels like my face isnt going as well as she thought it would have and is giving my retin-a, doxycycline and acanya one more month before she puts me on accutane. i really wanted to avoid that drug. it's painful because i have been on her products for about 4 months now and im worse than when i first came in. my sister is using the exact same products for a week or two more than me and her face is amazing and she started off worst than me. it's depressing and doesnt make sense. after three weeks im going to call back if there isnt any improvement and going on accutane. wish me luck, if there is anyone still reading this. lol

Hey Mike! Thanks for the updates.

Alittle about myself as I just made a profile to respond. I'm Sky. 23 white male. I had my first acne breakout November 2009 and started seeing a derm January 2010. They started me with Doryx 150mg, acyuna in the morning and Ziana at night. I dropped the Ziana about two months in cause it made my breakouts worse not knowing at the time that was suppose to happen. It eventually cleared just in time by May when I started college again. Insert ff7 victory music!

This past October 2010, I went for my 3-month derm appt and started wondering what happens when I stop taking everything since I was cleared up. I started taking half a tablet of doryex annd stayed with the acyuna in the mornings. Well November rolls aroynd and like clock-work, I started breaking out. I was tight on money at the time so I had only enough doryx and samples od acyuna to last til dec 16th, the next derm appt. Salvation at last...I had thought. Basically They started me and the doryx and acyana dose. they added A Ret-A that comes from the same people that made acyana. The name escapes me at the moment but from my understanding its the same as ziana.

Classes didnt start again til Jan 10th So enough time right? Nopers. Im roughly a month into the regime and this is the worst acne I've had. Sucksville. I never really had acne until a year ago so the depression has been...epic.

And well thats about it. Some days are worse than others. I think it's getting better but then two or three new ones pop up.

Mike I feel you pain bother.

Ps Im at work so forgive the lack of info, plot holes and spelling errors. I may or may not fix this post but I will update :)

so i saw my dermatologist last thursday. she recommended i go on accutane because i wasnt getting the results i should have been. i had my blood work done yesterday so hopefully they get back to me soon so i can start my treatment. i hate it how i worried about a couple of zits and went to the dermatologist and now i am going on accutane. the craziest thing ever.