Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Number1nerd

I have mild acne... but i'm going on ACCUTANE!

I'm a 17 (18 in a month) year old female, and I have been going to the dermatologist for about 3 years now. Right now i'm currently taking the antibiotic SEPTRA, along with Retin-a micro at night, spot treating with Tazorac, and then Klaron lotion in the morning. I have been countless antibiotics (tetra, mino, keflex) along with prescription topicals (retina, differin, benzyclin, ect).

My face started to get bad my sophomore year of high school, and that is when I went on tetracyclin. It did nothing, so after about 6 months i went on Minocyclin. That cleared my face up COMPLETELY (using it in addition to benzyclin... the best stuff EVER) for an entire year. I mean, I didn't get ONE pimple the entire year. It was amazing.

Anyway, after a year I became immune to mino, but instead of switching me to a different anti, they instead just put me on a higher dose of it. I was furious, and my skin exploded. I would have 4 or 5 cysts at a time. A month later I switched over to the antibiotic Keflex, and while my face didn't get to be as clear as it was the year before, it certainly helped. Since I was still not completely happy with my complextion, I went on Septra - which is where i am today.

While my skin isn't severe in ANY way (actually, i dont even think its "moderate" acne), i asked my derm if i could try accutane, and she happily agreed. Right now I have about 2 very teeny weeny zits, and one sort of large one (but you can't really see it), in addition to many red scars.

The question i'm wondering is, has anyone else had mild acne and they went on accutane? Did it make your face REALLY bad? I know about the initial breakout, but I'm thinking maybe because my face is mild to begin with it won't make that much of a difference... :think:

Accutane log w/pics : click here

Oh and also - what are some good products to use while on Accutane? I've read a lot about people using Cedaphil cleanser and lotion, but it seems like it would be too heavy/greasy... confused.gif What are some good products?

ALSO - i'm a "spot-treat addict". If I have a pimple, I NEED to put some sort of acne medication on it. I know you shouldn't do this while on accutane, but I've read about people using tea-tree oil as a spot-treatment. Has anyone heard or used this?

Tee tree oil is popular, its a natural antiseptic and doesn't damage healthy skin. You can get it in a wand/stick, but not very effective.

I had mild/moderate acne and went on accutane...im on week 9 and my face looks like crap...alot worse than before I took it, but the zits are getting smaller and smaller so I think its starting t work.

Numbernerd--

As a parent whose child tried everything you have tried, PLEASE consider trying the Clearlight treatment before you go on accutane. It will only take about 4 weeks to see if it will help you and if you are prepared to pay many thousands for accutane, the $800 or so for the entire clearlight treatment will hopefully be something you can afford to try first.

I found your story interesting because Minocyline also cleared my daughter for a year and then the doctor said to change to Septra, and her face exploded. Nothing worked, not birth control (yasmine) or anything, not even going back on minocin.

The clearlight worked, but we didn't find out about it soon enough. The damage from scars may be permanent so now we are working on that problem. She is now managing her occasional whiteheads (2 or 3 per week now) with acne.org regimen and they usually clear up overnight or in one day. I wish you well. Glad to answer any questions.

Here's my post:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=28200

Is clearlight covered by insurance? Because I'm paying $5-10 for my accutane a month. So with insurance accutane isn't always that expensive

Yes, that is exactly my question - my accutane is covered by our insurance.... But is the clearlight? That seems like a really good solution right now, because in about a month and a half i will be going off to college 4 hours away, alone and on my own. The stress of having to meet new people, do everything for myself, and then by going on accutane, being required to come home every month for bloodwork... Its very hard. I'm very nervous about the inital breakout on accutane, because right now my face isn't very bad - and if I go to college with bad skin, I know i'll have a harder time being the outgoing person that I am. sad.gif

So the clearlight - how long does it clear you up?

Oh and also - what are some good products to use while on Accutane? I've read a lot about people using Cedaphil cleanser and lotion, but it seems like it would be too heavy/greasy... bb_icon_confused.gif What are some good products?

ALSO - i'm a "spot-treat addict". If I have a pimple, I NEED to put some sort of acne medication on it. I know you shouldn't do this while on accutane, but I've read about people using tea-tree oil as a spot-treatment. Has anyone heard or used this?

I have mild acne as well, and got clear using Dan's bp gel, Cetaphil, and aloe vera. I use the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, which isn't heavy or greasy at all. It feels a little weird at first and takes some adjusting to, but I can assure you it's one of the most gentle cleansers you'll ever find on the market nowadays. It makes my skin super soft and never leaves it greasy. I wash with water, although I know that some people who use Cetaphil use it without water. That I never got used to. Good luck on your Accutane treatment, hope all works well smile.gif

If life gives you lemons, put them down your shorts to make your balls look bigger

bb_lol.gif that reminds me of a sign i saw the other day on the side of the road: "if life hands you lemons, stick em in your bra" Hahaha!

I have found cetaphil wash to be the most gentle.

I would suggest against spot treating just let the Tane do its stuff and try to put as minimal amount of products on your face as possible. I have notice the acne dries up quicker on Tane anyway.

Accutane's patents expired, so now all the other companies can come in and make the isotretinoin.

I completely agree with Parker. Let the Tane do its job and make sure you become great friends with the makers of Blistex. You'll be smokin this stuff like its your job, just don't literally smoke it.

Cheers!

MiKeY

I decided to read some success stories because tomorrow i will be getting my first blood work done for accutane, i will be starting my first treatment towards the end of october. My story is nearly identical to yours. i am in my first month of college and i have been fortunate enough to have little breakouts here and there, but with the stress of school work this was my first week with a huge breakout. i need my acne to be gone for good. i am very nervous to go on accutane with nearly mild acne, i dont even need to tell you my story because its the exact same as yours, however i just wanna know if you decided to go on accutane?! i'm so nervous and dont know what to expect!

dont go on it. seriously do you know how dangerous that stuff is.

:( i know its horrible having spots etc but doing this is not worth it. people will love you for who you are. they will go away you just need to exercise and keep diet in check.

try everything else first before tane.