Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Karabasque

Using Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I wasnt sure where to put this thread but its here for now.

For anyone who doesnt know, I have only just began using extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed and unfiltered) as an alternative to all those horrible products and medications that we use but never truly work, they leave our skin dry, raw, damaged and yes, even worse off than before!

The inspiration came from a successful user of this natural oil. Thank you again for posting.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Skin-update-t281337.html

My face can get a little oily but its generally dry from all the bad stuff Ive used over the years, I get a few pimples, a few nasty cysts every now and then and lots of hyperpigmentation.

I had been using just water and 2.5% BP which helped the serverity of my skin but left it feeling so dry and tight, I vowed to buy some EVOO on the day and used it that night.

I apply a small glug of it on my hand (about a 10p size in UK terms) and start to massage it into my face. I spend at least two minutes doing this, ensuring the oil has gotten deep in the skin (dont worry!)

I then get a damp wash cloth and gently wipe the excess away, pat it dry with a towel and then Im done.

My skin feels wonderfully clean, unclogged, smooth and hydrated but NOT OILY! I must stress that since its some sort of paradox (oil clearing oil? how bizarre!) After reading up on it, it does actually make a lot of sense.

Its early days yet, day one if you like, but the signs are promising. Day One post to come after this.

Day One!

I awoke to find NO BREAKOUTS.

My skin still feels good and still quite clean.

Usually I get two or three new additions when I wake up, even with what I would consider a product that is working ok. But this morning, nothing.

The ones that have been around before the EVOO are healing nicely and of course if I get no more new additions tomorrow too and the day after etc. Ill have nothing to be worrying about.

Like I keep saying, early days. I am a skeptic on any acne treatment since there has been so many failures from so many products but olive oil isnt a harsh chemical so Im keeping very positive.

Edited by Karabasque

Theres a tiny itchy spot on the top of my jawline, resisting all temptation to touch it. It started itching just after I used the EVOO today, hopefully just a minor issue.

Moved to the Personal Regimen Logs board, as this is definitely not an Acne.org Regimen Log. ; )

Ha! I must apologize, I should read things a little more carefully next time :)

Good luck! I'm going to follow this log and perhaps consider it if it works out well for you. :D

Thanks a lot :) Ill be sure to update daily for all to see.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Hope it works for you! Will be doing this as well, only I'll be following the other thread's OP's method. Washcloths break me out (the exfoliation) so I'm hoping that removing it with my fingers will help!

I used it this morning, and I'm a bit oily, but no more than normal. My cheeks are WAY less dry, but my forehead still feels tight (as does my whole face). I assume that I either need to use it more often before seeing improvements in hydration or simply alter my method of use.

I'd like your input on something. I'm thinking that I would benefit from rinsing my face, but I don't know whether I should do it before or after EVOO. So, should I rinse my face, then massage the EVOO over wet skin and wipe, or massage the EVOO over dry skin and wipe, then rinse once I've wiped off all the excess? I'm thinking that since I had moisturizer on from the night before it affected the absorption, so I don't know if I should rinse tonight before or after. But I do want to try rinsing. Your method would be similar to rinsing after using the oil, so should I try that?

The washcloth I use is a very soft one so no harsh abrasion. It came with my Exposed Acne Kt which cost me about $60 from the USA and never used cos I started this hahaha.

Personally I put the EVOO on my face when its dry, the water on the face may repel the oil at first but I doubt it would cause any harm, the warm water may even open up the pores before application so either way seems good to start with.

I massage it in for a minute or two, anything used on the face will be got rid of by the oil (they say its good as a make up remover too). I really think it would be best to rinse after the application/massage, the smoothness after its patted dry is wonderful.

Im about to sleep now and Im looking forward to seeing how I look when I wake up, Ill be posting, all the best for you :)

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Day Two.

Again, there has been no breakouts, Im amazed.

The pimples on my face before I started using EVOO have pretty much gone, some hyperpigmentation from them but I feel confident that it will help those too.

A cyst that was on my chin that flattened just before I started has pretty much disappeared without a trace, Id normally see the hyperpigmentation there for at least two months but its almost vanished already.

Im very happy, I had a brilliant time at work last night because I felt confident enough to talk to the other staff. All this is from only two days of using extra virgin olive oil. Its funny because now I cant wait till bedtime again so I can wake up and see the results of the nights healing.

P.S. Its been liberating not having to put ANY harsh products on my face, if this passes the three month test (like the person I got the inspration from) I will throw each and every 'acne treatment' in the bin with pride. That will be my goal.

Wow, excellent! Do you apply the EVOO to soft skin (like after shower) or dry skin? Every positive item you post makes me want to throw out the BP and start right up myself...but I'm going to let you be the guinea pig for at least a week. Sounds really extraordinary though! ;)

What was your skin like beforehand? Do you generally tend towards dry skin or oily skin?

Edited by Sandman21

Wow, excellent! Do you apply the EVOO to soft skin (like after shower) or dry skin? Every positive item you post makes me want to throw out the BP and start right up myself...but I'm going to let you be the guinea pig for at least a week. Sounds really extraordinary though! ;)

What was your skin like beforehand? Do you generally tend towards dry skin or oily skin?

Im quite happy to be the guinea pig, I understand how people would feel cautious about this.

I rub it on my face in the morning (on dry skin) and massage it all over for a minute or two, then rub the excess EVOO with a damp soft washcloth and pat dry, or if its a shower day I do the same, jump in the shower and use the washcloth while Im in there. The skin should feel soft and smooth. There are a few minor flaky areas just around the healing pimples an hour or so after but it must be just part of the final healing process. I do the same before bed.

It does sound bizarre I must admit, the thought of doing this a few weeks ago would fill me with horror but a little bit of knowledge has turned me way around with confidence in the stuff.

My face can get oily, not as much as it used to be though, but I used so many nasty products that dried my skin and thats how it was generally. My face now feels pretty stable in terms of oil production using the EVOO so far, it hasnt stopped but its not excessive (just how it should be).

The actual acne ranged from 5 or so significant (BIG!) red pimples and a few seemingly insignificant little red ones, along with the usual bunch of whiteheads to 10+ significant pimples and 3 or 4 cysts on a very unlucky day. Sometmes I feel like I shouldnt have felt as unconfident and ugly because even at its worst, it wasnt as bad as others but still, there are ignorant people who think its hygene related and look down on us because apparently we 'never wash'.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Im quite happy to be the guinea pig, I understand how people would feel cautious about this.

I rub it on my face in the morning (on dry skin) and massage it all over for a minute or two, then rub the excess EVOO with a damp soft washcloth and pat dry, or if its a shower day I do the same, jump in the shower and use the washcloth while Im in there. The skin should feel soft and smooth. There are a few minor flaky areas just around the healing pimples an hour or so after but it must be just part of the final healing process. I do the same before bed.

It does sound bizarre I must admit, the thought of doing this a few weeks ago would fill me with horror but a little bit of knowledge has turned me way around with confidence in the stuff.

My face can get oily, not as much as it used to be though, but I used so many nasty products that dried my skin and thats how it was generally. My face now feels pretty stable in terms of oil production using the EVOO so far, it hasnt stopped but its not excessive (just how it should be).

The actual acne ranged from 5 or so significant (BIG!) red pimples and a few seemingly insignificant little red ones, along with the usual bunch of whiteheads to 10+ significant pimples and 3 or 4 cysts on a very unlucky day. Sometmes I feel like I shouldnt have felt as unconfident and ugly because even at its worst, it wasnt as bad as others but still, there are ignorant people who think its hygene related and look down on us because apparently we 'never wash'.

Do you think your skin made an almost instant turnaround with moisture? Like, do you feel as though it's basically at the optimal place it will get, or do you think that it might still improve even more? I think that my skin is still feeling a bit dried out even though I'm using EVOO 2x a day. I'm not on the same exact method, but still. If in a few weeks I am not breaking out and do not have any major whitehead/clogged pores issues, I'll try a washcloth! I have microfibre ones that are super soft, maybe those will help. I don't think I'd want to use it daily though, too much exfoliation!

I think that you are completely justified feeling unconfident/unhappy about your skin regardless of how many pimples you have. There are often times though that I'll find myself checking someone out who has pretty bad acne and still think they are attractive - a male student in my sociology course has moderate (maybe almost severe) acne but I think he's pretty good looking. And then I sit there thinking "FUCK MY FACE IS GROSS" and get all bad-moody.

Anyway, I got home today and my face didn't actually look that oily. Or at least I didn't notice it lol. So I think it's helping somewhat in that respect, I just need to find my perfect method of use! Also, if you have any clogged pores, have you tried letting it sit on your face for a few minutes to help dissolve the plugs, then massage and wipe? I let mine sit today and I think it helped a bit.

I feel that there is still room for improvement, like the slight dryness from the healing pimples but its been great not feeling tight and dry and my skin is consistent all day through. After things have healed a bit more Im sure it will be where I want it to be.

I think I made the mistake of having a close shave at the beginning of day two, it made my face a little sore, I should have left it a week or two into the regime or just use the beard clippers on it to avoid annoying my face (Not a problem for you tho haha). Ill be sure to update on the outcome of the soreness in the morning, but like always, Im confident, I will remain positive.

As for letting it sit on my skin, I havent tried that one yet but Id like to try it out and see how it goes, Im very glad its been positive results for you so far too :)

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Day three.

My face is suffering a little bit from yesterday morning when I shaved, I shouldnt have gotten overconfident and done something potentially damaging so soon.

No actual breakouts, just two sore marks where the razor cut over some bumps, on my chin there seems to be a pimple trying to form but the best thing for me to do is ignore it, not prod it and hope the extra massaging will have done enough to stop it in its tracks.

Note to self, no more close shaving, I dont even like it, I look a little TOO youthful when I do it. I was thinking that the shave would get rid of all the dead skin so the oil would have a better effect but when I think about it, the massaging is getting rid of the dead skin anyway, silly me!

I know it's early lol, but have you noticed any change in your redmarks at all?

Edited by Sandman21

Day four.

My face is feelng better from the shaving attack I did on it the other day, let that be a lesson learned.

The pimple that was threatening to surface actually did last night but it was so small and insignifcant that its pretty much gone this morning (I paid a lot of attention massaging the oil into it the night before)

As for any breakouts this morning, there are none Im happy to report and thats the main thing so far. Nothing worse than controlling acne and then BAM! your face gets back to square one over one night.

The red marks are still the dominant problem on my face, thats always been the problem for me, the marks that have been on my face for longer than 2 months seem to be looking a little better, but ONLY a little better, but like I said in another post, the cyst that flattened just before I started the EVOO had pretty much vanished in terms of redness.

I booked an appointment with my doctor for next week, I want to talk to him about acne in general, I want to find out what it actually is thats causing it for me. Doctors have the habit of treating the symptom (which is acne) rather than the cause of acne (which is something else), throwing antibiotics at us is a temporary fix so I would want to be tested to find the root cause once and for all. Whether its a food allergy, a secret illness, actual hormone issues etc.

Also while Im there Im gonna ask for a reference to see a dermatologist, I havent been for years to a derm, my body is scarred and discoloured from the most horrible acne ever. Its hard to say that, even here of all places. The serverity has gone down a lot but my back is a mess and I want to know what my options are for scar treatments and to get rid of the remaining acne, I dont want to get close to anyone again because I dont want to hide it, so its something I need to really sort.

Still positive!

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Day five

Throughout yesterday a little friend has been trying to join the pimple that was forming the day before, right next to it. While the original pimple has healed Im left with another one which is a little more servere than the one before. I massaged EVOO into it a little more to try and combat it but its still there this morning. It feels worse than it looks though. I wonder if the extra massaging on the pimple before is the CAUSE of this new neighbour, it would make a lot of sense if that was true, Ill keep this in mind from now on and lay of doing the same to the new one when I cleanse after this post.

I must add that my skin does appear to look more uniform in terms of tone, the redness at either side of my nose which seems to have bugged me forever look a lot better. A long way to go yet though.

No other new additions to my face except the one mentioned earlier, while some may see it as a setback I see it as proof that this new regimen is benefitting me more than all the products I have used before, I would have broken out a hell of a lot worse by now if I was trying some other chemical laden product. Its still very early days yet, so these could be the few minor hurdles I have to come across before the real action takes place.

I'm glad your progress is continuing! I'm also sad to hear about the problems with your back :( It's terrible feeling that way, not wanting to get close to someone because of your skin. I hope that you can get some great answers and suggestions from the doctor and the derm :D

I'm sure it will take a bit of time for red marks to die down. It's not like it can work instantly, you know? I'd say give it at least 2-3 weeks before expecting any lightening of your red marks. I don't think any of mine are lighter yet either, so we must give it more time!

I wanted to say btw, I'm no longer washing with EVOO, just moisturizing. I found out that massaging it on dry bothers my skin (the same happened with jojoba, so I think it just has to do with its composition or dryness/waxiness), yet on wet skin it's not a real problem. But on wet skin it doesn't really work as well to cleanse. So I'm washing with honey, then using it to moisturize in the AM and doubling the EVOO at night and massaging a bit longer to help with clogs after using honey. I might try using EVOO dry once a week, but probably not right now. Will continue following your progress of course!

Ill be fine :) When the remaning acne on the middle of my back has gone Ill be happy enough, the areas that used to have it bad but are clear feel nice and smooth, it just doesnt look so good. To add to that though, the areas that were affected the very first have faded away to nothing. I just dont want to wait five years for the rest!

But enough of that for now, its all about trial and error for any regime so whatever works best for you is great, Im glad you still see the potential in it. Ill be posting everyday like usual, Im only on day five, it seems like forever!

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape