Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dont_do_it

my terrible accutane experience

Folks, please do not be discouraged from taking accutane because of the "experience" of one individual.

I am on my second course of accutane and this entire time I have yet to have hair loss, erectile dysfunction or mood swings. In fact my symptoms are just limited to dry skin on the arms (yes on a 80mg dosage).

As for the original poster, we are all young and invincible (in our minds at least) but you would be surprised how many men develop erectile dysfunction or lose some libido (without ever taking accutane) in their mid / late 20s.

Wake up!!

Just because you have not experienced any big problems, does not mean a thing!

'One' individual? Are you really that ignorant?

The accutane posts are loaded with evidence that this is an extremely dangerous drug.

The fact that you are having to take this poison, and it is poison, a second time shows that Accutane is no miracle.

I am just like this poster and it's no fun at all.

I am, also, 100% sure that the cause is the drug.

I know it - And you would too. You just got lucky! I hope you stay lucky because you would not like what I, and others, have to live with as a result of the FDA being a buncg of *****. Maybe you wouldn't even be strong enough to cope.

Unlike the original poster, however, I took the drug over 4 years ago and the trouble with my Penis is recent. Things are getting worse. I first thought I'd recover slowly, if anything, but now I'm just praying I don't get IBS or any of that other shit.

It feels like I've lost all meaning in life.

I have a girlfriend, but when she's doing 'stuff' - and you know what 'stuff' is referring to, I can't enjoy it like a normal person. It looks okay when it's erect, but the sensation has diminished A LOT. Years ago, I couldn't stay at a mates house the night without feeling the need for a w*nk.

Now, I feel I have to force myself too 'give it a tug'. I could easily go a month without having any wanting to.

And that bothers me a lot.

I am 20 years old and this is NOT normal. This has been going on for a few months.

Sex is an extremely important factor in relationships, and being a human.

Keeping on the topic, when my penis is just casually in my pants throughout the day, it (and again this is only the last few months) has become so small and seems to be shrivelled.

It's no laughing matter - This is really one of the worst things that can happen to you.

It's impossible to forgive and forget the past when you are constantly reminded that you have been turned into a 'freak', in a freak accident.

It's also exteremely frustrating when people like you come in here and try and tell us we don't know what caused it when there is so much evidence that accutane fucks with your entire body.

Maybe it takes experiencing this for yourself to realise it. As already pointed out, maybe it will happen to you when you least expect it. If you had any sense of priority and realised that accutane didn't even clear your acne, you'd stay the fuck away from this drug.

O.P - I am in your position, and I know it does not help - but you are not alone.

We can't lose hope but after 20 odd years of this being around and so-called 'professionals' not being any closer to understanding the drug, it is very difficult.

I think of the amount of people who have taken Accutane - Supposedly millions - and can't help thinking why there hasn't been something hard-hitting in the press.

All that get's out is a 'Possible' link between this drug and depression. And Roche get away red-handed.

I also wonder when I pass ordinary-looking people in the streets:

'Have they taken Accutane?'

It really feels like you're alone and in a way this board is helpful for assurance (despite there being absolutely No-one to say they got through this years on.)

I've tried fighting the battle myself, but it's useless.

Trying to prove to your doctor that it's not in your mind when things don't come up in blood-tests is such a bitch. Writing to the NHS (UK health care) to explain they are handing out poison and getting a reply to see your GP is sickening.

Often I think 'What is the point'.

When you get these side effects it takes over you.

The things humans consider most important in their lives is health and ANYONE in this position would do the same as us.

The fact that we have not given up and thrown in the metaphorical towell that is our lives just shows that we are strong.

Sometimes I look at my thin hair, red eyes, and 'ugly' self and HATE myself.

But we must remember - We are NOT the blame.

Like World War One fighters we we're taken in as naive and unaware and then robbed of ourselves. I was 15 and couldn't even ponder this happening. We were sold a lie.

The packaging of the drug is more honest now at least. But still people are being shallow and not thinking properly. It's mental.

Remember who you are inside.

You are still that 10 year old kid who had it all.

Believe. Doesn't have to be in religion, or the way of the universe.

Just don't give up. Ever.

Who knows what will happen in the next 10 years.

The point is (AND THIS IS GETTING VERY LONG) that we NEED the help of scientists and research. It's possible that we are now un-curable, but we do not know this for sure.

Keep the faith,

Indy.

Everything you say makes sense... But I hate having acne so bad. Like, what if I take it and don't get any side effects. I have like a 90% chance of not getting side effects right?

No man.

Think about it for a sec.

How many adults do you see with acne?

I can't think of many.

Some have spots.

But it generally is something that will wear off.

Their statistics are based only on feedback.

I have suffered very badly and as far as they're concerned I'm part of that '90%' due to the fact I haven't let them know otherwise.

I had it all good, and thought I could never have this happen to me, so why would you be any different?

It's up to you man but it could be the worse decision you make.

The body is a clever thing and when you're getting the side effects it's the body telling you something's wrong.

I took this for 5 months.

As soon as I experienced side effects I should of quit it.

I wasn't so wise then.

If I can stop people like you from risking your health though, my job here is done.

Don't worry about acne. Acne is nothing to worry about.

Diet and lifestyle play their part.

Your skin will be better in 5 years if you don't take this drug.

Indy

Does acne really go away as you get older? If that were true, I'll totally wait it out, but I'm not sure if it is. And I hate acne so bad. It would be so amazing if I took accutane and could be that '20+ million' or so. You took it right? So you had the same mindset right?

X happened after accutane, therefore accutane caused X?

X also happened after we went to the moon, maybe we shouldn't have messed with the universe and your problems never would have happened?

I feel sympathy for those with conditions that are genuinely and verifiably a result of isotretinoin, but most people in this thread are just blaming without evidence. It's a fact of life that people develop the conditions that you guys have, and most of them never took accutane.

update: Since my hair started getting oilier, my condition has improved somewhat. It just happened sort of spontaneously. Unfortunately, I didn't stay as I was initially (it gradually declined), but as of right now I am still better than where I was a month ago and hopefully I at least wont get any worse. At the beginning of this "recovery period" I was experiencing nocturnal erections (for a period of about 3-4 days) and now those are gone again. Sensation/orgasms are still pretty dull in comparison to what they were before the drug. Libido also improved significantly at the beginning of the "recovery period" but is now low again. Erections also were again able to occur without direct physical stimulation, and fortunately this has remained to an extent. They are also stronger which fortunately also seems to have stayed.

My hair has also continued to improve. A few months ago, I was shedding like crazy (tons of hairs coming out of every day) and my hair looked really thin. Now it's shedding at a normal rate and looks closer to what it was before the drug. In another few months, I think it may return completely. I'm not so concerned with my hair, I just hope it is a sign that I will keep going back toward normal and that my body just needs more time to fix itself.

edit: Something else I forgot to mention which is important. At the beginning of this recovery period I had a breakout. It wasn't terrible but it was noticeable, and it was in spots where I had stubborn acne before taking accutane. However, it is already like 95% gone/healed and I haven't had anymore since then. It was like I was starting to go back to the way I was before accutane and then stopped again.

Edited by dont_do_it
update: Since my hair started getting oilier, my condition has improved somewhat. It just happened sort of spontaneously. Unfortunately, I didn't stay as I was initially (it gradually declined), but as of right now I am still better than where I was a month ago and hopefully I at least wont get any worse. At the beginning of this "recovery period" I was experiencing nocturnal erections (for a period of about 3-4 days) and now those are gone again. Sensation/orgasms are still pretty dull in comparison to what they were before the drug. Libido also improved significantly at the beginning of the "recovery period" but is now low again. Erections also were again able to occur without direct physical stimulation, and fortunately this has remained to an extent. They are also stronger which fortunately also seems to have stayed.

My hair has also continued to improve. A few months ago, I was shedding like crazy (tons of hairs coming out of every day) and my hair looked really thin. Now it's shedding at a normal rate and looks closer to what it was before the drug. In another few months, I think it may return completely. I'm not so concerned with my hair, I just hope it is a sign that I will keep going back toward normal and that my body just needs more time to fix itself.

Glad to hear. If patients do develop ED from accutane it is MOST likely temporary. As jacob stated, I also laugh at people who come on here 10 years later saying they developed ED or BACK PAIN because of accutane. Gtfo srsly lol its annoying as fuck im so sorry but that shit would happen to you no matter what. My friend robert was diagnosed with chrones at 18 years old, yet he never took accutane. My gf loses hair because its so thin yet she never took accutane. My mom+dad have back pains yet they never took accutane. Its fucking stupid how trolls come on here posting their bad experience for use new users to accutane. EVen if i was diagnosed with/without IBS from accutane, i wouldnt be on the internet sharing my "BAD" experience. I would be trying to live my life and dealing with this shit with my doctor. Anyways, im glad your recovering and i know youll be fine soon. Good Luck sir

Its fucking stupid how trolls come on here posting their bad experience for use new users to accutane. EVen if i was diagnosed with/without IBS from accutane, i wouldnt be on the internet sharing my "BAD" experience. I would be trying to live my life and dealing with this shit with my doctor. Anyways, im glad your recovering and i know youll be fine soon. Good Luck sir

I don't see how it's trolling for users to post their bad experience. This is a serious drug and shouldn't be taken without lots of thought. The booklet that you're given to read lists the side effects, but it's definitely not the same as hearing an actual person's experience.

Again, accutane is still not completely understood scientifically. It's very possible that it has side effects that we don't yet know about or are underreported. More information sharing is only a good thing, IMO.

People who are on the drug don't like to hear about the bad stuff.

Its fucking stupid how trolls come on here posting their bad experience for use new users to accutane. EVen if i was diagnosed with/without IBS from accutane, i wouldnt be on the internet sharing my "BAD" experience. I would be trying to live my life and dealing with this shit with my doctor. Anyways, im glad your recovering and i know youll be fine soon. Good Luck sir

I don't see how it's trolling for users to post their bad experience. This is a serious drug and shouldn't be taken without lots of thought. The booklet that you're given to read lists the side effects, but it's definitely not the same as hearing an actual person's experience.

Again, accutane is still not completely understood scientifically. It's very possible that it has side effects that we don't yet know about or are underreported. More information sharing is only a good thing, IMO.

And thanks, I hope I do continue to recover.

And thanks, I hope I do continue to recover.

I dont mean to call them trolls but i do feel they are the same people posting over and over this website. Im not going to name them but they know who they are lol... They are strongly against accutane i understand, and i dont like that im taking it but i need to. Im getting to the point where i was obsessing about my skin 24/7 and becoming depressed. Even after 1 week of accutane i feel more alive knowing im on the treatment. If i am diagnosed with something, than its my fault for taking the drug, but i will continue with my life. They are rare side effects and reversable most of them. So hang in there, im sure you will recover sir and accutane would just be a small thing in your life without any regrets.

Edited by keiko1

Guys just think about it ,

if it can cause Fetal malformation or sometimes fetal death , it means that it cause Gene mutations like Base Pair Substitution or Frame Shift Mutation leading to the death of the fetus

So if it cause that to the fetus it will certainly cause something to us

like john said { something with the genes mutation }

Guys just think about it ,

if it can cause Fetal malformation or sometimes fetal death , it means that it cause Gene mutations like Base Pair Substitution or Frame Shift Mutation leading to the death of the fetus

So if it cause that to the fetus it will certainly cause something to us

like john said { something with the genes mutation }

Well, it's been a little while and I feel as though I have improved some more since my last post, though I'm still not 100% (it's hard to judge, but I would guess between 60-80%, I have highs and lows). I have a few small blemishes (nothing that makes me feel bad, though) and my facial oil seems to be returning, but for the most part my acne has stayed gone (although, my skin seems to be at the point where it could become bad again). I still definitely regret taking this drug.

I know some of you are unconvinced by personal stories, and it's not an entirely unreasonable point of view. So let me offer some reasoning using just mathematical probability that you might want to think about:

Let's say, conservatively, that accutane has only 10 possible side effects. And let's say that for each one there is only 1% chance that you will experience it to a permanent/persisting degree. From what we know, it also seems that these side effects are relatively independent of one another (i.e. experiencing side effect A has little or nothing to do with whether or not you will experience side effect B, etc.).

Then you have a .99^10 ~= .905 probability of experiencing no permanent/persisting side effects. However, that means that you have almost a 10% chance of having at least one permanent/persisting side effect. Those odds aren't as good now.

Let's be a little more aggressive and say that there are 20 possible side effects, each with a 1% chance of being permanent/persisting (and again they are all independent). Now, we suddenly have .985^20 ~= .82, which means now that you have only a 82% chance of having all your side effects go away, meaning in this scenario (which could be an overestimate, though it is not unreasonable) almost 1 person out of every of 5 who take accutane should expect to experience permanent/persisting side effects, which is kind of scary.

If I had to guess, I would say that somewhere in between the first a second scenario seems to be a reasonable "average". Meaning that perhaps many of the side effects have less than a 1% chance of being permanent but there are also probably a more than 20 possible side effects. It's still more likely that you wont have any permanent or persisting side effects, but the chance that you will is definitely not trivial.

So basically, when you're told something like "Persisting joint pain is possible, but it only happens to around 1% of people", well that is true, but there are probably 20 or more such side effects. And even though they all individually have only a small chance of being permanent, the chance that at least one will be permanent is far greater that 1 or 2 %.

I see where you're coming from with that last post. I don't think it will ever be possible to put an exact number of how many people suffer permanent side effects.

I feel like its 80/20, with 80% not experiencing anything permanent. I wish these statistics could some how become available so that derms could tell you upfront. That way you could figure out whether or not you want to take the chance.

Hope your condition improves with time and stay happy,

Fred

Update: Over the weekend I somehow improved a lot (pretty much overnight) and as of right now I feel almost back to my old self both mentally and physically (acne seemed to get a little worse too, but it's still nowhere near what it was prior to accutane). I hope this isn't a temporary thing, I'll try to update this post again by the end of the year. I still very much regret taking this drug, but for now I'm just going to try to enjoy myself and hope that nothing else creeps up.

I hope everyone enjoys the holidays.

Edited by dont_do_it

Update: Unfortunately, it seems as though the recent improvements I had made were temporary. It has been rollercoaster of ups and downs; usually, I experience an up and the go back down but still above where I was before the up. I had hope before that I would recover completely but now it's mostly gone. It's been over half a year and I still have so much wrong with me. As of writing this, it's been roughly 7 months since I have finished my course and the problems are still persisting, though they are not as bad as they were a few months ago.

I can try to describe how I have been affected using examples:

-erections, while they have improved and have become functional are nowhere near what they were before. They also go away much sooner. Pre tane, they would often stay for some time after orgasm, now they are gone within 30 seconds. They also sometimes start to become weak or go away before I'm finished.

-orgasms are only slighly pleasant (like stretching out your legs after sitting for a while), and I no longer get that amazing euphoric feeling or sleepiness afterward (this is one of the things that bothers me the most)

-nocturnal/morning erections have returned, but only very mildly (like once or twice a week at most). I drink quite a bit of water, so it's not that uncommon that I have to wake up in the middle of night to pee. Pre tane, this would often be difficult because I would pretty much always wake up with an erection. Not anymore

-pre tane, if I noticed a really attractive girl, I would remember for the rest of the day. Now I don't care

-I also no longer get the feelings of nervousness, butterflies in my stomach, that funny feeling in my chest, etc. when I'm around or talking to a an attractive girl. I also no longer become infatuated with or "have a crush" on a girl. Before it seemed like this happened with every other girl I met.

**perhaps related to the above, but I also noticed no longer get the tense feeling in my neck/shoulders or pounding heart and tightening in my chest from a potentially dangerous situation. For example. last week I got home late night/early morning when it was pitch black, and somehow the dog had gotten loose during the day and snuck up on me when I was walking to the house. I had no "fight or flight" reaction/feelings towards this. I didn't even feel slightly startled.

-I can still get mildly aroused (i.e. if I'm looking at porn), but I don't get horny, if that makes any sense. Before tane, I could just be sitting in class or doing something completely non sexual, then all of sudden I would start thinking about sex out of the blue. This does not happen anymore. I can only compare sex to now a hobby such as video games; video games are a mildly enjoyable diversion, but I can easily go without them and I certainly have no spontaneous biological/animalistic urges to play Halo

I guess I would sum up most of the above by saying that sex no longer feels at all like any kind of emotional experience, just a slightly pleasant physical activity

-My hair seems to seems to have mostly recovered. It has definitely thickened up closer to what it was before tane, though on top the texture seems to be a bit different and it's still a bit thin; it feels slightly wiry now, maybe a bit like a steel wool. Hair loss does run in my family however, so I can't conclusively say that it wouldn't have happened eventually anyways (and in fact, I'm sure I'll be mostly bald by the time I'm in my early 30s). But I don't care about hair loss anymore anyways with these other problems that have happened.

-I also experienced some very mild lower back pains and light sensitivity during my course which are now gone completely as far as I can tell.

-Acne has returned but is fairly mild and doesn't bother me or stress me out.

Also, I find that I just no longer enjoy or look forward to things as much as I used to. I don't think this is any kind of depression from accutane directly, but rather from being upset about the side effects. Just knowing that I have these problems that now seem as though they're permanent has taken the spring out of my step and keeps from having as much fun as I used to because it's always on the back of my mind. Before accutane, I absolutely loved working out and would sometimes skip social activities or neglect my schoolwork to do it; I would also get really into thinking about what lifts I would do that day or coming up with a new routine. Now I just do it like twice per week out of habit. I also had a somewhat boisterous/intense personality and several people have told me recently that I seemed to have calmed down or mellowed out.

Before, even when my acne was at it's worst and it really bothered me, I could at least temporarily forget about it, if only for a few hours, when I was spending time with my friends, watching a movie I really liked or became really wrapped up in schoolwork. But what I have now I can't ever get out my mind completely.

I'm not saying that accutane should be banned completely, it definitely has its place for very severe cases or for those whose acne is taking a severe psychological toll. And if I had a good experience, I would probably be here posting it and recommending the drug.

If you're going to take accutane, at least consider the following:

*accutane affects A LOT of different systems/organs in your body

*the exact way in which it works is unknown

*the majority of people who take one or two courses permanently (or very long term) have their acne cleared or significantly improved

It stands to reason, that if this drug permanently improves/clears acne for so many people, that it can just as easily permanently affect other parts of your body.

Edited by dont_do_it

Interesting story OP. I am a 26 male and pretty much had the same experiences with acne pre-tane. I have been suffering since I was in high school and nothing would work. My college experience wasn't as good as I hoped it would be because of acne. I didn't socialize as much as I wanted to. After graduating from college, I decided to take the jump to accutane because I was fed up.

Honestly, so far, it has been one of the best decisions I have made. I really wish I did it before I went to college. I went on a 10mg course for 6 months and was completely clear. To the OP, I think that is the biggest difference: low dosage course. 10mg vs 30mg is huge, and is probably why you are suffering from these side effects. *knocks on wood* but it has been over a year since my accutane course and I haven't had any side effects remotely close to yours. My sex drive has been better than normal (I workout reguarly) and no symptoms of ED.

OP, wish you the best and hope you recover. To anyone else considering accutane, make sure you take a low dose! :hand: Regardless of your weight, M or F, or age, low dosage is the way and gradually build up if you need to. This is the advice of my derm (who graduated from Stanford and sits on practically every dermatology board here in California).

Stay clear folks :dance:

Edited by VictorP
o the OP, I think that is the biggest difference: low dosage course. 10mg vs 30mg is huge, and is probably why you are suffering from these side effects. *knocks on wood* but it has been over a year since my accutane course and I haven't had any side effects remotely close to yours. My sex drive has been better than normal (I workout reguarly) and no symptoms of ED.

I think that could be part of the reason, though I was only on 30mg for one month, the other 3 I was on 20mg so our cumulative doses aren't all that far apart. I believe that, for reasons we don't know, some people are just very sensitive to this drug where other can tolerate a high dose okay without permanent damage. But I do agree that with you that anyone who ends up using accutane should try the lowest dose possible, maybe even 10mg only 2-3 times per week instead of every day.

I still believe this can cause side effects though. The fact that you've had permanent/long lasting success with it clearing your acne means that it could also cause permanent or long lasting side effects (though probably not as many). But still, if I could do it over I would just avoid it altogether.

OP, wish you the best and hope you recover.

Thanks.

I am going to try to take 10mg. Is it possible that they do not have doses that small? I'm living in Illinois.

These side effects seem pretty bad. But at the same time, I cannot help but notice that your acne was cleared up. Unfortunately the side effects are not going to scare me much until they happen. The thought of the pros overshadows the cons. I'm not prone to disease, never had allergies, am vegetarian, don't smoke rarely drink...I exercise.

And again, your side effects have decreased, but your acne is still gone. I cannot ignore that.

Even if I'm making a big mistake, I can't control it. Even with knowing the risks, the pull of accutanes promises of clear skin is way too strong.

I mean the list of pros makes you want to gamble and ignore the cons.

Edited by Sid S.
I am going to try to take 10mg. Is it possible that they do not have doses that small? I'm living in Illinois.

They should have doses that small. And as I said earlier, you could consider trying 10mg every few days instead of every day at first and see how that works

These side effects seem pretty bad. But at the same time, I cannot help but notice that your acne was cleared up. Unfortunately the side effects are not going to scare me much until they happen. The thought of the pros overshadows the cons. I'm not prone to disease, never had allergies, am vegetarian, don't smoke rarely drink...I exercise.

And again, your side effects have decreased, but your acne is still gone. I cannot ignore that.

My acne hasn't completely cleared. Now it's only mild and it responds very well and quickly to simple topicals you can get at the grocery store; it just doesn't bother/concern me anymore. As far as health goes I can also say all the same things you did, except the vegetarian part.

I also want to say that these side effects are much worse than the acne I had (even when it began scarring). I can tell you how bad they are and about my experience, but it still is not something you can really comprehend or understand fully unless you experience it.

Even if I'm making a big mistake, I can't control it. Even with knowing the risks, the pull of accutanes promises of clear skin is way too strong.

I mean the list of pros makes you want to gamble and ignore the cons.

I understand, this was almost exactly how I felt. Acne was controlling a huge part of my life and keep me from doing some a lot of things I wanted to do. I hope you'll at least consider taking a lower dose like was mentioned earlier. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edited by dont_do_it

Hi, I thought I'd update my progress. I'm really not doing that much better.

The last month, there was about a 2 week period where I felt almost completely back to old self. During that time, I felt elated, happy and it was so good that I was certain that I was permanently going back to normal and then it just went. I notice it coincided with an acne outbreak on my forehead.

I hope that this removes doubt for those of you think these stories are just psychological ... why would I all of sudden start feeling physically normal again when I was depressed/upset, and then go back to feeling like crap physically when I was completely elated.

Edited by dont_do_it

Unbelievabe, you've described my situation perfectly! I've been experiencing EXACTLY the same thing for about 2 years (I'm 18). If I'm watching porn i can get hard (that is if i concentrate hard and am stroking it) but in other situations it's just impossible. I feel less human....i thought i was the only experiencing this. What a relief, in a way.

Have there been any cases of people going back to normal after this? I'm terrified i'll be stuck like this forever....like... seriously terrified. I value my ability to get an erection, as i'm sure all men do LOL.

Edited by christianaeg

I've doing some research, and from what I can tell there's really no exact way of knowing if or when you'll go back to normal. But, it seems like the people that do go back to normal usually do so within the first few months of finishing the drug and unfortunately you and I are both well past that mark. I have also been doing some research on propecia (hair loss drug), as the drugs have some similarities a lot of users have had similar long term sexual side effects and some (though not a lot) have gotten better slowly over the course of years. If you don't mind me asking, do you ever have random periods time where you feel much better? Maybe not 100%, but at least significantly better than usual?

Four courses is really a lot. When did you finish your last one?

Ha...ya, i really over-did it taking it so long. Thankfully, my first three courses were only 20mg, then 40mg on my fourth, which only lasted 3 months. Obviously, i'm never going back on it but i'm terrified about the side effects i've deloped already and the ones that are inevitably coming as i age.

How many courses did you take?