Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArcticMonkey

white slash-like scars

I was wondering if anyone had the same problem as me, i have about 15 noticeable white thin line scars on my cheeks, its almost like i've been slashed with a knife, its really getting me down, i had pretty bad acne last winter and went on accutane, i have now been off of tane for 4mths, my face is still VERY red in parts where my acne was the worst, but these slash-like scars look so obvious because they are white, and the rest of my face is an ugly red colour, do you think in time these white lined scars will go away, or fade? also would numerous low percentage tca peels, along with strong copper peptides help at all? i really want to get rid of them, as they just look UGLY! can anyone help me ....please. sad.gif

Thanks

Hey Miss shady.

Are they hypertrophic scars? are they really big/long obvious? I have one scar like that on my cheek that's a hypertrophic, it's a very thin line white, about 1/4 of an inch long, it used to be red and bigger but it shrank on it's own into a thin line. I HATE it. it doesn't look like an acne scar, more like a very small slash mark, from one huge cyst I had 5 years ago while eating soy. I know IPL helped shrink it, but taht was because it was red and wider before.

Hey Chloe, these white slash-like scars seem to be where my worst cysts were, although my cysts were of a circular shape and these are straight-like lines, they are not very thinck or very long, although they are still very noticeable, i just hate looking in the mirror and seeing them, although i doubt very much anything can be done to improve them dramatically, if they were the same colour as my skin you would barely notice them, but because they are WHITE i look like a right freak! AAAAAARGH!!!! Also that means i will never be able to tan my face as these white scars wouldnt be able to tan. i'd look like a bloody zebra! HELP!!!!!!

hi Missshady, i have some of these on my temples, i know exactly what you're talking about. They are just like a thin white line. Maybe they improve with time and some peels or treatments.

I also had cysts in those areas. If anyone knows how or if these can be treated please respond.

Thanks.

I don't have those types of scars, but if I did I'd probably attack them with strong copper peptides, exfol cream, and some type of weekly peel.

Hey Miss shady.

Are they hypertrophic scars? are they really big/long obvious? I have one scar like that on my cheek that's a hypertrophic, it's a very thin line white, about 1/4 of an inch long, it used to be red and bigger but it shrank on it's own into a thin line. I HATE it. it doesn't look like an acne scar, more like a very small slash mark, from one huge cyst I had 5 years ago while eating soy. I know IPL helped shrink it, but taht was because it was red and wider before.

Yeah soy caused me to become hypothyroid at one point and that delays healing and causes acne...I got every single visible mark from acne when I went vegetarian and ate soy of course if I had known soy could do this I wouldn't have touched it. It really really sucks because I didn't have a huge amount of acne, just the ones I did get left a scar, the rest were very clogged pores during the soy obviously because my skin was not shedding because of the slowed down metabolism but those barely left any bad scars>the only good thing is that i did not get cysts all over my face just 10-maybe 15 total during that time. Only two I recall were big enough cysts to leave an ugly scar. and only one area on one cheek has the majority of the scarring...the other side of my face has fairly mild marks and some areas of my face stayed very clear. It really upsets me me because I got through the teenage years with very mild limited scars, like very tiny and then UGH the soy. Plus my mom and dad and brother have exceptionally good skin, like far better than average. Maybe that's why I heal so well now and my scars are responding to milder treatments?

Yeah, when I was a strict vegetarian I developed terrible cystic acne and that's when soy caused me problems. Now that I eat some meat the soy doesn't bother me. Needless to say, I'm off the vegetarian bandwagon. :-)

That's wild Robert, I wish I'd listened to my friends and my mom when they said the veggie diet was stupid, I looked horrible on it and now have these scars to deal with. But it seems like there is this brainwashing about how healthy soy is and I olny ate the tofu. I went to the derm recently and there was this girl talking about how she ate a lot of soy, well she had a bunch of cysts on one ceek and I'm like UGH it's THE SOY

MissShady, I have those also. The white scars are the oldest ones, unfortunately. I think I may have caused some of those types of scars from fingernails popping pimples when I was a teenager. Oh, the humanity! A series of medium depth peels might help - I'm too chicken to try that myself, but I may later on. Maybe you could try a TCA cross on a test spot also. I seems like those old white scars would need to be cut or burned out to remove them completely. But not your whole face like with a C02 or dermabrasion. It just doesn't make any sense to ruin 10 places to fix 5. Just be thankful they aren't craters.

As far as all this soy stuff, it looks like some sort of mass-hysteria, lol

Are you all saying that the soybean causes cystic acne because you're allergic to it or something? Or did an unhealthy vegan diet cause it from lack of the enzymes that you can only get from red meat? (or a precise diet of the right legumes)

Chloe646 - But it seems like there is this brainwashing about how healthy soy is and I olny ate the tofu. I went to the derm recently and there was this girl talking about how she ate a lot of soy, well she had a bunch of cysts on one ceek and I'm like UGH it's THE SOY

The enzymes in red meat (or anything else, including our brains) start to die at around 107 degrees F. As a result, all cooked food is enzyme-less. If you want enzymes, you either have to eat raw food or take an enzyme supplement.

This is why cooked vegetables won't grow, if planted. They're dead.

And this is why when a fever gets up around 105 degrees, doctors get very nervous.

I don't know the precise reason why soy caused problems for me, but yes, I suspect it was partially due to lack of nutrients (vitamins, minerals, and especially protein) in my diet and also because soy is not tolerated well by some people. I need to research soy in the near future.

No, it's not hysteria..Soy is undeniably implicated in causing hypothyroidism (it's even discouraged as an infant firmoula in othe coutries with the clear understanding that it may cause thyroid problems)...Even skeptical docs concede that soy interferes with iodine uptake/absorbtion and idodine is crucial to throid hormone synthesis. i'm not allergic to soy, my hormones became imbalanced and hypothyroidism does cause delayed healing and acne along with tons of other problems. check out medline and do a scientific journal search you'll find lots of scientific articles on soy and health dangers also the FDA's own scientists wrote a letter condemning soy. Type in FDA or Dr. Daniel Dourge and Sheehan (sp?) and you'll see. I was vegetarin for 6 months before adding soy to my diet and I didn't feel sick or look bad except for being a bit too skinny until I ate soy. I only ate the junk because there wasn't a single piece of bad press on it when i had started only good stuff. Biggest mistake, i never had bad acne or cysts or scars before soy and I haven't had a single bad breakout or scar form since stopping. Even eating large anounts of dairy and candy doens't give me acne like soy did.

Yeah, when I was a strict vegetarian I developed terrible cystic acne and that's when soy caused me problems. Now that I eat some meat the soy doesn't bother me. Needless to say, I'm off the vegetarian bandwagon. :-)

You were way smarter than I was at the time aqua....I first had cut down on wheat and felt so much better and so I figured if that's true then going all the way with the veggie stuff would be better. I dont't know why i didn't associate the soy with the acne? I guess i was just falsely led to believe that diet didn't cause acne IT CAN AND DID. What a dumb ass i was I should have quit sooner than have it drag on for nearly two years....can you imagine if I was still eating soy! Omigod my whole face would've been a disaster! Anyway, I had done the soy thing because i was fed up with derms who couldn't clear my mild/moderate acne and did useless peels that wrecked my skin<---although now looking back at old pics, I see there was almost no visible acne whatsoever and it would have gone away entirely on it's own with no scars around the time I ate soy ARGH!!! Eating snickers bars every day is better for my skin! cause i just ate some and skin is still clear : P

You were way smarter than I was at the time agua....I first had cut down on wheat and felt so much better and so I figured if that's true then going all the way with the veggie stuff would be better. I dont't know why i didn't associate the soy with the acne? I guess i was just falsely led to believe that diet didn't cause acne IT CAN AND DID. What a dumb ass i was I should have quit sooner than have it drag on for nearly two years....can you imagine if I was still eating soy! Omigod my whole face would've been a disaster! Anyway, I had done the soy thing because i was fed up with derms who couldn't clear my mild/moderate acne and did useless peels that wrecked my skin<---although now looking back at old pics, I see there was almost no visible acne whatsoever and it would have gone away entirely on it's own with no scars around the time I ate soy ARGH!!! Eating snickers bars every day is better for my skin! cause i just ate some and skin is still clear : P

AAAARGH! as my redness SLOWLY fades, i see more and more white scars on my face left from previous cysts, its totally killing me, i though maybe once the rednes is totally gone, i can kinda lead a "normal" life! but i just feel worse knowing i'm gonna have to put up with these white scars all over my face for the rest of my life! bb_icon_cry.gifbb_icon_cry.gifbb_icon_cry.gif

Other people on this board have worse scarring that myself, although they never seem to menation having WHITE scars, am i the only one? Does anyone know if there is anyway to get rid of these scars?? they are also slightly indented aswell, and are 9mths old.

HELP! sad.gif

My scarring is identical to yours misshady! When i stretch my red rolling scars they are slightly white in the middle, like a white slash line.

I have had these scars for about 12 months now, and i have noticed they have improved about 20-30% by themselves. I don't know if this white stuff combined with this redness is such a bad thing, i think my skin is improving a lot, yours might too, probably best just to let the skin heal as best it can.

No i was never on accutane. I am now on minocycline, but my scarring was there before i started taking acne meds.

I"m curious if it was the Accutane that made your skin open to this type of scarring. I have one of those scars, but it's only visible when I pull the skin, and it was a spot the I was accid. scratched on when I had a cyst there 9 yrs ago. It bled like hell. Did you bleed in those areas?

Falnhart, i think you could be right, before i was on accutane i would get quite bad cysts, although they never really scarred, they would leave a mark for a long times, but they sure as hell never turned into a white scar. I seriously believe if i had taken large amounts of vitamin c and zinc, and perhaps sprayed amino plex twice aday on to my cysts i wouldn't have half as many scars as i have today! AAAARGH! i hate accutane! but then again, if i hadnt taken accutane no doubt i would still be covered in acne, therefore my scarring would probably be ten times worse.