Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crockett

Milk and Acne>

I'm wondering if I should add milk to my diet. I don't currently drink milk (except mixed in with cereal, and even then, i don't drink the extra milk that left in the bowl). I hear that milk can cause acne and some say it doesn't. Do you drink milk and have acne, and if you do have acne, how bad is it. Thanks for your help. :confused:

well you should drink milk anyway because its good for you ;) but yes i drink it and i still have some acne, but theres plenty of other factors that cause it.. Mostly because im a 17 year old male going through puberty haha. but i use tretinoin and benzaclin and im 85-90 % clear

I used to drink milk.

I stopped drinking milk and about 98% of my acne disappeared. For me, milk triggers breakouts.

It may not trigger breakouts in you though. It depends on the person.

I get calcium from Calcium Chews.

I think it's different for everyone. If I drink milk I get horrible cystic acne. So I stopped. But I can still eat cheese and some other dairy products with no problems.

Milk doesnt do anything to me! So its different for everyone, the only way you'll find out i guess, is to completely stop drinking or using milk for a while (if you can)

I've had acne since I was 13, and when I was little I hated drinking milk. From that age till 20 years old I didn't eat very well. I Didn't get the needed nutrients and vitamins.

However recently, I've been trying to gain weight. Best way doing that? Drinking a lot of milk. I was always hesitant to try this since you do hear that dairy can cause acne. For me, it did the exact opposite. My face has been clear for a month now, and my back is almost completely clear.

Milk contains a lot of the vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that your body needs. I usually drink a half gallon a day though. A bit much, but it helps me with my weight gain.

Do what others have said, try drinking a glass or two a day and do this for maybe a week?

If your stomach gives you a bit of trouble just take lactase pills and it should ease the digestion.

Good luck.

I also used to drink milk since a child and I recently stopped it, along with wheat. My acne has been gone for about 2 1/2 weeks and I am so glad I am not drinking milk anymore! Not to mention its better for the cows!

Milk used to cause my face to go nuts! I havent had a glass of milk in about 8 years! Calcium suppliments work well. Though I miss milk :redface:

Eight Reasons to NOT drink Milk:

“…..The 9 million cows living on dairy farms in the United States spend most of their lives in large sheds or on feces-caked mud lots, where disease is rampant. Cows raised for their milk are repeatedly impregnated. Their babies are taken away so that humans can drink the milk intended for the calves. When their exhausted bodies can no longer provide enough milk, they are sent to slaughter and ground up for hamburgers….â€

http://thebovine.wordpress.com/2009/10/08/...not-drink-milk/

I have not consumed any dairy in over 2 and a half years, dairy (especially milk) is not fit for human comsumption, that's the bottom line!

I have not consumed any dairy in over 2 and a half years, dairy (especially milk) is not fit for human comsumption, that's the bottom line!

Huh?? The protein in milk is high quality. It contains some important vitamins and minerals. Milk is nutritious.

Huh?? The protein in milk is high quality. It contains some important vitamins and minerals. Milk is nutritious.

Milk is virtually nutrionally void...so much so they actually synthetically fortify it. Unless your talking about raw milk ofcourse, in which case its very nutritious indeed!

Edited by ben90

I dont know if I buy into the Idea that milk is not fit for human consumption. Dairy is used in most cultures around the world, and cheeses are one of the oldest foods in existence.

Of course some people will have an allergy to milk, BUT....

Maybe its the way we treat these cows that is creating the problem.

A long time ago you had a few cows grazing on a pasture. Now we feed cows a bunch of corn and soy meal, (thats like giving a cow mcdonalds) when cows should only be eating grass. Nature didnt make a mistake when it decided that cows needed to eat grass.

On top of that we pump the cows full of antibiotics so they can keep that corn/soy meal down long enough to produce some shoddy-ass quality milk.

Anyone tried organic milk from grass-fed cows?

I dont know if I buy into the Idea that milk is not fit for human consumption. Dairy is used in most cultures around the world, and cheeses are one of the oldest foods in existence.

Of course some people will have an allergy to milk, BUT....

Maybe its the way we treat these cows that is creating the problem.

A long time ago you had a few cows grazing on a pasture. Now we feed cows a bunch of corn and soy meal, (thats like giving a cow mcdonalds) when cows should only be eating grass. Nature didnt make a mistake when it decided that cows needed to eat grass.

On top of that we pump the cows full of antibiotics so they can keep that corn/soy meal down long enough to produce some shoddy-ass quality milk.

Anyone tried organic milk from grass-fed cows?

For me, it comes down to the fact that cow's milk is for a calf..like human milk is for a human. They constantly impregnate the cows and take the calf away.. I just do not want to support that process.

Milk is virtually nutrionally void...so much so they actually synthetically fortify it. Unless your talking about raw milk ofcourse, in which case its very nutritious indeed!

Are you talking about the fact that most commercial milk is fortified with things like vitamin D? Is THAT why you're saying that milk is "nutritionally void"? :)

Are you talking about the fact that most commercial milk is fortified with things like vitamin D? Is THAT why you're saying that milk is "nutritionally void"? :)

Commercial milk is stripped of pretty much all its vitamins and minerals in any amount bar pretty much calcium through pastuerization, and even then there are problems when it comes to digesting it.

All in all, not that great when you consider your paying for milky water.

yezzz

Im trying to give up the milk for next few weeks, normally i have milk with cereal and I can have about 2-3 sometimes 4 bowls a day which is alot of milk I know! I have it in tea, about 2 cups of rooibos tea a day.

But my question is, if I just reduce the amount of milk in my diet could that benefit my acne? What I mean is if I cut cereal, and milk in my tea (just drink dark tea) would that help?

Also I work out a fair amount and am currently using soya protein powder, is that okay? what are peoples views on soya milk overal YAY OR NAY I know soya protein isnt as good as whey but its all ive got at the mo. Thanks for your help

To tell you the truth ALL this is really annoying, and most of the info you will find for diet and acne contradicts itself in other research.

For instance soy contains phyto estrogens so its bad for acne since it can mess with your hormones, but this doesnt make complete sense since some men with hormonal acne might benefit from some estrogen.....correct?

(One thing I WILL say about diet and acne that I think is ALMOST irrefutable is that a very bad western diet will cause you to be very unhealthy, and your chances of getting acne will skyrocket. Foods leading DIRECTLY to acne, without some sort of direct allergy? highly doubtful unless the food happens to be a vintage glass of rbst laden 1985 milk)

ONe thing I DO know is that soybean oil and most vegetable oils which contain it are VERY bad for you. Soy was meant to be eaten as a fermented meal, like miso soup and soy sauce.

Americans eat entirely too much soy since they put that soybean oil or lecithin in virtually everything.

As far as cutting down on milk I would say just give it up for 2 or 3 months and see how it helps. Dont eat ANY. Use Rice milk or hemp milk.

(but then theres the problem of some frigging allergy you might have....)

I gave milk up for about 3 months minus the very rare bite of something which I forgot had dairy in it. Didnt do anything for me. Still broke out in the same places, the same amount of times. Although I HAVE noticed that while I was on antibiotics, Cheese broke me out terribly.

Im currently only eating dairy through Pro-biotics, which I have to take since I was on 150mg of doryx every day for 3 months. I have a few zits right now, and a few large pustules under my jaw, but th at could be attributale to the fact that I am coming off of the antibiotics......

Milk and acne? Who the heck knows. Really.

Edited by acnefreehopefully

For instance soy contains phyto estrogens so its bad for acne since it can mess with your hormones, but this doesnt make complete sense since some men with hormonal acne might benefit from some estrogen.....correct?

I've never heard that phyto estrogens are supposedly "bad for acne", but I agree that estrogens in general have been used as treatmentsfor men with acne, probably as a way to reduce sebum production a bit.

Well, what cleared up my severe cystic acne after 11 years was not eating dairy of any kind for 6 months. I literally did nothing else to my skin, no topicals, nothing. Washed once a day with a mild cleanser and that's it.

So I would definitely say, at least for me, dairy had a huge effect on my skin.

Well, what cleared up my severe cystic acne after 11 years was not eating dairy of any kind for 6 months. I literally did nothing else to my skin, no topicals, nothing. Washed once a day with a mild cleanser and that's it.

So I would definitely say, at least for me, dairy had a huge effect on my skin.

It seems to depend on the quality of the dairy product for me, but I basically get the same from crud cheese like Laughing Cow and the stuff in frozen pizza (TOTINO'S PIZZA ROLLS ARE THE DEVIL!). But, simply drinking a cup of milk or eating a block of cheddar cheese doesn't seem to hurt me.

yea! reduce the intake of milk.. i actually dont drink milk at all no more and almost all of my acne has gone away.. milk has too many hormones which is gona produce a lot of oil thatll end up clogging your pores