Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lydiajane

This worked for me... is there an way of recreating it?

So back in the day when I was 17, I was using Retin-A on my acne. I break out in my T-zone with cysts (especially on my chin) and nodules. Yeah, it blows.

Anyway, I went on vacation to Mexico and forgot that you aren't supposed to go in direct sunlight without lots of sunscreen while using Retin-A. Needless to say, my T-zone looked like Communist China by the end of the day.

My skin was soooo burnt, in fact, that i lost several layers of it. Important layers... layers that are not meant to peel off. But after it peeled off and was back to a normal human colour, it was perfectly clear.

I had NO ACNE. :dance:

Well, I thought that would be temporary but I actually didn't get a zit for TWO YEARS afterwards. But alas, all good things come to an end, and I am back in agony dealing with horrible skin.

My question is: Is there some sort of chemical peel or treatment that would simulate the same effects? I'm totally okay with requiring some downtime and looking like a zombie for a week.

So back in the day when I was 17, I was using Retin-A on my acne. I break out in my T-zone with cysts (especially on my chin) and nodules. Yeah, it blows.

Anyway, I went on vacation to Mexico and forgot that you aren't supposed to go in direct sunlight without lots of sunscreen while using Retin-A. Needless to say, my T-zone looked like Communist China by the end of the day.

My skin was soooo burnt, in fact, that i lost several layers of it. Important layers... layers that are not meant to peel off. But after it peeled off and was back to a normal human colour, it was perfectly clear.

I had NO ACNE. :dance:

Well, I thought that would be temporary but I actually didn't get a zit for TWO YEARS afterwards. But alas, all good things come to an end, and I am back in agony dealing with horrible skin.

My question is: Is there some sort of chemical peel or treatment that would simulate the same effects? I'm totally okay with requiring some downtime and looking like a zombie for a week.

I've never tried laser/light therapy or dermabrasion before, but I hear it can help a lot with acne. I also hear it can be expensive and some of the treatments work better than others. (By the way, "accutane" is very expensive too, after you add up the drug, lab tests, and doc visits!) It's worth learning more about laser therapy, chemical peels, and dermabrasion. I am personally curious about Isolaz for managing breakouts. Hope you find a great dermatologist that can help you find the right treatment for you.

Sounds like some pretty severe skin damage in the Mexican sun!

There are some deep chemical peels (like TCA peel) that remove several layers of skin, downtime I think is 10 days min. No idea if that would halt acne in its tracks though...never had a deep peel, only light ones for exfoliation.

I guess you could try the search function on here to look up TCA peels and lasers? I think lasers and peels are discussed more in the Scar forum.

Think you'd need to explain to the derm about what happened before when you burnt your skin, as it may have made it more fragile.

Retin-A IS supposed to make you peel, thats the main idea about it. Coupled with sun you increased its effect, altho people warn not to go into direct sunlight when using it.

Retinoids, BP, AHA stuff is your choice, accutane if you have cysts.

It's your skin, obviously, but I wouldn't trade acne for skin cancer. :o If you're looking to get that peel, use something more gentle.