Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RHS7787

Laser Treatment

I have a derm appt comming up in a couple of weeks to check my progress as well as a possible laser treatment to remove freckles and some redness. I was just looking for anyone who possibly might have recieved an easy laser treatment like this? He told me he thinks one treatment would remove what I wanted, possibly two. I think he said he would use a v-beam? Anyone else have a treatment like this done before?

Im not sure, but I doubt it because its considered a cosmetic enhancement which isnt a necessity. Im paying out of pocket, which i got quoted $200-350 US per treatment depending on the amount of area covered. If it turns out well, it will be well worth it IMO.

I have a laser treatment appointment for November to remove red spot hyperpigmentation in my beard area. My derm has me using Neostrata HQ gel (so 10% glycolic acid and 2% hydroquinone) for the next few months before my appointment to see if that will help me out. I hope it does, because it will save me a lot of money.

The woman I am going to see is a dermatologist and she works with many different types of lasers. I was reading that Intense Pulsed Light might be the best for removing hyperpigmentation. My uncle did 5 treatments and it helped his redness left over from his acne and abuse of alpha hydroxy acids, which he had used for many years obsessively trying to help flatten out deep acne scars.

My understanding is that freckles caused by the sun can be eliminated (they get darker after the treatment and then flake off). But, freckles caused by hereditary will just come right back.

But, you MUST MUST MUST stay out of the sun. If you have any tan at all, you will be left with stripes across your face like a zebra, after the treatment. And your freckles will just come back, even after just a few minutes exposure to sun potentially, if you are a really freckly person.

It's 100% not covered in Canada. The consultation isn't even covered. All facial scars were covered 5 years ago. But, because of the aging population and the rising cost of health care, the young get pucked!

We're paying for Great Aunt Dorris, and Grandpa Willy's lung cancer and liver treatment from years of smoking and alcohol abuse. So, remember kids, let's give Aunt Ida a big hug and a kiss the next time we see her. She'll be kicking around until she's at least 100, which is about when our red spots should start to fade. lol

Fortunately I am not a real freckley person, just a little on my nose and some on my cheeks and thats about the extent of my freckles. It is not hereditary, I was just always exposed to the sun when I was young and developed them at a young age. Do you know how long it takes the freckles to dissapear after treatment? Just curious. I didnt really recieve a lot of info on this. I do work out in the sun a little bit, but I always wear a high SPF sunscreen which seems to lighten my current freckles. Is this going to be a problem? As for the redness, some is from acne spots and the other is just natural.Thanks for all your help.

All I know is with intense pulsed light, freckles are supposed to be one of the first things improved upon. A lot of them should turn darker and flake off within a few days after the first, or possibly second treatment.

It's not FDA approved for acne redness, but they have had success with it. It's only approved for redness related to blood vessels - like in rosacea. My uncle's redness got a lot better though, and his redness had nothing to do with blood vessels.

I've never had the treatment myself, so I am on a learning curve as well.

In July I went in to see a woman who did the IPL (intense pulsed light) and she showed me her upper chest to show me the dangers of doing it with a tan. She literally had brown stripes across her chest that had been there for a year and a half. Needless to say, I didn't do the treatment with her.

It's best, I think to find a dermatologist who does the treatment. If they have access to several types of lasers, he/she will be better equipped to make an informed decision.

And you have to be really honest with the dermatologist. Like, if you have cold sores or had warts as a kid, or anything like that, you have to tell her, because it can cause an outbreak of stuff you thought was long gone.

If you work out in the sun, you have to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours. Make sure it has parsol to block UVA and UVB, or has a physical sunblock like titanium dioxode, or zinc oxide. (It will say in the ingredients).

I don't think any sunscreen blocks Ultraviolet rays completely. It's kind of like using a condom. It's "safer" sex, but not 100% completely safe. I think you are doing everything you possibly can.

These laser treatments will remove freckles for ever, or they will come back? Staying out of the sun, ok, but for how many days after the treatments?

I think it's 3 to 4 weeks of staying out of the sun post-treatment to avoid complications. The complications include hyperpigmentation - darker patches of skin that could be there anywhere from 3 months to forever. Yup, there are risks with this treatment. The only completely safe thing to do is cover your spots with make up.

If you don't want freckles to come back, I'm afraid you have to wear sunscreen forever. It's like if you don't want to get pregnant, you have to use birth control each and every time. There is just no other alternative.

My understanding is that the treatment is fairly permanent, as long as you stay out of the sun. You may need a touch up the following year, or in years to come. Whatever sun damage you have done to yourself in the past is in your skin's memory waiting to come out. The pulsed light will only take care of what it can find. That is, whatever hyperpigmentation is existing in your skin at the time of treatment.

Thanks dude. So, basically use of sunscreen is all that it takes to keep the face freckles free after the treatments. Doesn't sound that bad.