Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CJ1981

Please HELP with my Q!

Hi All

I have read lots of posts on here talking about people getting red/dry skin after using BP.

My question however is if my skin is NOT red/flaky/dry, etc. does that mean that the BP is NOT drying my skin out?

Can you be drying out your skin without realising it or is it something that is definitely apparent??

I know it must sound like a dumb a** obvious question.........but can your skin be dry without having the visible side effects?

The reason I ask is because I have been using 2.5% BP on my back for 8-9 weeks and I have had no drying effects whatsoever. My back has never been itchy, red or flaky. My acne however is not clearing so I was thinking of going up to a 5% BP gel. (I have read on here that Dan said that some people can handle even 10% on their backs with persistent acne because the skin is much thicker and less sensitive.) I am thinking that surely my back will be able to handle it as I haven't had any flakiness from the 2.5% but am 2nd guessing myself thinking that maybe my skin is dry but it just doesn't look it???

Thanks, Carly

Hi All

I have read lots of posts on here talking about people getting red/dry skin after using BP.

My question however is if my skin is NOT red/flaky/dry, etc. does that mean that the BP is NOT drying my skin out?

Can you be drying out your skin without realising it or is it something that is definitely apparent??

I know it must sound like a dumb a** obvious question.........but can your skin be dry without having the visible side effects?

The reason I ask is because I have been using 2.5% BP on my back for 8-9 weeks and I have had no drying effects whatsoever. My back has never been itchy, red or flaky. My acne however is not clearing so I was thinking of going up to a 5% BP gel. (I have read on here that Dan said that some people can handle even 10% on their backs with persistent acne because the skin is much thicker and less sensitive.) I am thinking that surely my back will be able to handle it as I haven't had any flakiness from the 2.5% but am 2nd guessing myself thinking that maybe my skin is dry but it just doesn't look it???

Thanks, Carly

Congrats on not being dry! Some peoples skin can just handle BP better than others. I've read about people who use BP on their faces, the full amount, without any drying or redness. Redness is the first sign of dry skin, it means that the skin is irritated and tight. Flaking is another symptom of dry skin. Regular moisturizing, even if you don't have visibly dry skin, is always a good idea. It prevents drying, if it ever DOES happen and it keeps the skin well balanced. BP is a drying agent, so even though it may not be drying out your skin, it's also not adding any moisture to it..so be sure to moisturize daily.

I've also heard that 5% BP is good for the skin on our backs. It's true that back skin is thicker. Because you see no improvement whatsoever after 2 months or so, I would consider going up to 2.5%. However, you may want to give it another month before switching. Many people who use BP on their faces, for instance, do not get clear until their 3rd or 4th month. I actually got clear between by 4th and 5th month. It's completely up to you. If you switch to 5% and find it's too irritating, I'd switch back and give the 2.5% more time to work.