Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WheatThins

Question on Cleansers.

I'm going into Week 6 and I just realized the cleanser I've been using all along has had 2% salicylic acid in it. Is this a bad thing? Should I get a different cleanser?

I've experienced flakiness the entire time I've been on the regimen, especially when I upped the BP doses. And I read on the FAQs salicylic acid can causes irritation when used with BP.

Any tips out there for those as clueless as me? :wacko:

I'm hoping to get another one soon, but before I do I was just curious as to whether having salicylic acid in my cleanser is more damaging than helpful.

Medication in a cleanser isn't really doing anything for you. It's not going to work properly since it's only going to be on your face for a few seconds, and it's unnecessarily irritating your skin.

Thanks, Chikyuu.

After doing even more research, I've realized how awful using a medicated acne wash really is. I've been using the Neutrogena brand for the ENTIRE TIME I've been on the regimen.

Does that mean I've completely screwed the regimen up?? Does anybody know, because I'm kind of freaking out now... :cry:

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Nah, you haven't screwed it up. Switching to a plain gentle cleanser will just help your results. Remember to wash gently with your hands for 10 seconds.

I've read several places that it's NOT good to use both salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide at the same time; it causes irritation. So yes, definitely switch over to a gentler cleanser.

Just to put this to rest, I did end up switching over to Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. I already feel the difference. My face isn't flaking as much, and its not as tight. Its great :)

Thanks for the help everyone! I just wanted to update this in case somebody ever searches because they have the same problem I did.