Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mokshasalvation

Use nothing regimen- Just water

Hi, I am new here but I have been seeking this website's help for a really long time. Especially, since last year when I had a big bad breakout. I was not sure if I wanted to come on this website and post since I felt that people sometimes probed too much. Well, I would come to the point. My acne problems started since I was 22(female) but before that, I had no acne and whenever I had, it was not serious enough to bother me. two years ago, I started using differin, clindamycin and oral antibiotics. Acne resolved but not completely and kept recurring. Last year, it was the most serious. I used benzoyl peroxide( acnefree severe) and it completely destroyed my skin. I would not recommend it to anyone. Stay far from it. Then I used many products at once such as sulphur lotion, differin etc. This was my biggest mistake.

I know many people who had acne but they still manage to have a normal appearance since they dont panic and use tonnes of products. Using such stripping products makes the skin red and sensitive which I sometimes feel looks worse than acne.

I think I might not be genetically predisposed to acne since in my family, nobody had severe acne. My parents had few pimples when they were young and they dont even remember much. My sister has the most prefect skin ever.

Edited by mokshasalvation

What I am trying to say here is that we freak out when we have acne and start trying too many things at once. Instead, if we didnt do anything, that would (might) help more. I live in a very humid place (central Japan) but I am of North Indian descent and I have light to medium brown skin. But I usually get red marks after pimples and not the brown ones. I also feel that it might be a myth that sun darkens these post-acne red spots. I havent used a sunscreen for two months and I have only seen my marks fading. Also, I dont use any makeup now but earlier i used a lot of makeup which i feel now definitely added on to my acne issues. For me, there is no nicer feeling than having clean, pure skin without creams, lotions, powders etc. So, I listened to my heart and stopped using everything. And guess what, my acne has only reduced since then. I also try to soak in the sunlight since i know that Vitamin D is excellent for skin and essential for overall health.

I dont use any face wash now, nor any skin creams, lotions, medications etc. Once a week, I might use sandalwood facepack. It is a powder that i mix with milk or yogurt( whichever is available) and put it on for twenty minutes. In the morning and night, I just splash my face repeatedly with water and it feels great. Sometimes, it feels a bit dry but after a minute or two, it feels fine. Basically, I dont get obsessed with my skin even if i get some pimple, I ignore it and most of the times, it goes away. It has taken a lot of time for me to overcome this obsession, but I think I finally have. well, upto 99.9%. In some tiny corner of my heart, I still might panic but then I talk to my friends and they make fun of me that I am so jobless that I dwell on such stupid stuff. And I know it sounds silly but it helps getting shaken by friends :)

Nobody in my family uses a sunscreen, including my parents and aunts and everyone has great skin even in their 50s. For my father, I think it is genetic since he has a head full of hair and wrinkle-free skin(he is in late 50s but he looks 40. everyone keeps saying that). My mother has few discolorations due to a disease but she is also wrinkle -free and so are my aunts. I think in India, very few people, i mean middle-class people use foundation, concealer etc. Women only use eye kohl and lipstick.

I know these posts are getting longer but there is so much that I want to tell everyone and I dont want to keep it inside anymore.

I have lived all my life in North India (before South-east Asia) and God knows how hot it is there. It is more than 40 degrees in may, june and july and very humid in august, september. The rest of the year is pleasant but not cold in anyway. It might be less than 10 degrees for a week in winters. I am writing so much about weather since we know that it affects skin. But i feel not many people still use sunscreens, especially poor people and they seem to have a great skin(well, most of them as I observed). Even if you try to use sunscreen, it will get wiped away with the sweat. Also, take into account that brown skin can tolerate more sun and also needs more sun to generate the same amount of vitamin d that Caucasians would make in less time. I am not 100% sure but I feel that this sunscreen thing is a big hype. I am not falling for it now. My parents and relatives lived without it and so will I.

I just feel that we live in a world of abundance, we are spoiled by choices. Everyone around us is trying to convince us to buy something. It is especially true for the cosmetics and all these cleaning products. Even doctors recommend parents to leave their children to play in the mud so that they can develop immunity. But these skin care brands just want to convince us that we are dirty and need deep, deeper, deepest cleansing, scrubbing, toning etc.

Another issue that bothers me deeply is the use of retinoids and other such products like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid etc. These products make the skin so delicate, red and sensitive to the sun. Now, if you live in hot places like I do, you just cant avoid being in sun. In fact, you shouldnt since one needs sun for good health and good mood. Whats the point? you might get rid of acne but you have got another handicap now i.e., a sensitive skin. Is it really worth it? I never had such unhealthy red skin before I started using differin. As i mentioned earlier, I have friends who have acne but still their skin look good and normal. They just look like normal people with few pimples. But these topical medications did make me look like a patient. I lost my skin's normalcy which I have gotten back since stopping the use of these products. One can look pretty with acne. What is important is that we should not spoil our entire facial skin because of acne on one one or two areas.

Next, I want to talk about diet. I stopped eating sugar two years ago but i did it mainly to lose weight. Not that I was fat, its just that I dont like sweets much and I wanted to look fit. Also, I thought it added to my skin problems and I have no idea if it helped or not but it did definitely made me slimmer. I used to think that milk and dairy products were bad for skin as i read it somewhere may be on this website or somewhere else; but I am really not sure about it. I have been drinking milk in tea and other things such as cottage cheese and yogurt since few months and it has gotten better for me. I dont drink glasses full of milk(many in India do) and I dont eat loads of dairy products; but I dont completely avoid it. I dont eat yellow cheese as it makes me feel very heavy and gives me a stomach ache and gases. I dont eat fried and deep-fried stuff as i dont want to get fat. eat lot of rice, vegetables, Indian pulses(beans), lemon, onion, garlic, ginger and fruits. I usually dont eat heavy food since I dont like to have diarrhea and I dont have an iron stomach. Thankfully, I havent had it since very long. I try to eat dinner by 8 or 8:30 in the night and take multivitamins and calcium-vitamind tablets. I also used to eat Indian gooseberry powder(Amla-richest source of vitamin c ) which is used in Ayurveda for detoxification. It really opens up the stomach and is supposed to be a miracle cure for general health. I will again start eating it soon. I think diet helps but of course, there are millions out there who eat very unhealthy food and have awesome skin. But lets not think about them. If we have a problem, and if diet can help, then I would be happy that such a simple step could be fruitful. I dont drink alcohol often( once every four - six months) and dont smoke.

Also, it is unrelated to diet but I would like to mention that I have stopped using shampoo and use baking soda to wash hair. You can find the details on google. I did it mainly since my scalp got very itchy and shampoo was irritating for me. I do use conditioner but since started i started using baking soda, i need to wash hair every 4th day. The itching is gone, hair is softer and nicer and saves time and money:). Also, I dont use soap in shower except under armpits and the other private place and I may use soap once a month or may be not; depends if I fell in a pool of mud then i will. Infact, i only use cold water as it doesnt make skin dry, feels refreshing and is environment-friendly.

Lastly, I wanted to tell everyone, since i stopped using everything,i dont feel oily at all. If sometimes I do due to heat and humidity, I just splash my face with water and it feels fine. Oil is necessary for skin so please do not try to clean obsessively. Be gentle.

Please drop in your comments, questions and disagreements in an appropriate manner. As this is my first post ever, I am nervous and awaiting your responses. Please do not be rude as I do not want to get discouraged. I want to share more and I empathize with each one of you suffering out there. :)

Wow! That is quite a story! I was interested in everything you were saying because my wife, sister-in-law and children are from Bombay but I am of Irish/English descent. So, raising my kids, whom are now in college, and knowing my wife of course, it goes without saying that they all have perfect skin even in their teenage years. In fact, my wife always jokes that when she was a teenager, she wanted to get a pimple because she thought it was fashionable! She can have all mine I tell her.

Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that many people have many different ways of healing their acne. Yours was obviously a healthy path and mine was too however, with my case, through trial and error, I found to be the result of gluten ingestion.

For me, it doesn't matter what soap I use, how gentle or abrasive I am (obviously within reason), or stress, or any environmental triggers - its all gluten. If I have even the smallest amount of gluten, I break out with large pimples and rashes on my back. It took me years to figure this out but in the end, as long as you don't stop trying, I believe everyone can figure out the cure for themselves. And your correct in saying that all these soaps and cleansers are not good - at least for me they are poison.

Thanks for your story!

Cheers to your good skin health. Namaste