Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shmeckle

Retin-A Initial Breakout: Cystic?

Can the IB for Retin-A be cystic? Ive had bad cystic chest and back acne for years and Ive just started using Retin-A. Ive never had a problem with whiteheads; I still dont. My skin cleared for a couple weeks, and now Im starting beginning to get cysts along my spine.

I started a different regime when I first got on retin-a. Id shower, exfoliate + soap, wash with head and shoulders and then apply retin-a in the morning. At night I'd exfoliate + soap and use a BP wash and apply ACV right before bed. My back and chest started looking much better, it dried out my skin, but it was finally clearing up.

Then, I think I overdid it. I probably over exfoliated because, man, my skin got red and it freakin' burned. I added a moisturiser and its been better lately, but Ive started to break out with cysts.

So, can the Retin-A IB cause cystic acne or is my breakout a result of me possibly being too tough on my skin? I ask because most people mention whiteheads when they describe the IB.

Edit* I think I posted this in the wrong subforum. Its probably better off in the medications forum. Sorry!

Edited by Shmeckle

I feel like it's easy to over-exfoliate while using a medication like Retin-A, especially since it's necessary, but your skin becomes so overly sensitive while you're on it. If it helps, I had tons of cystic breakouts while using tretinoin (the generic version of retin-a). I stopped getting cystic breakouts after about four months, but for those first four months, I had constant cystic acne, so it's not an abnormal reaction.