Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hoopsjunkie631

New to the website and new to accutane.

Hello all,

Well this is my first post on these forums. I stumbled up on it while looking for acne regimens and answers online and especially when i started researching accutane. I struggled deciding on the thought of taking it for the last 2 and a half years but final decided after all ive tried and my different doctor reccomendations and basically being fed up with the pain and embarassement especially lately of my acne that id give it a shot now. Im still a little worried but excited actually be trying something and not just covering it up or making it go away for a while. Heres a little background on me to help you guys understand where im coming from.

My Acne:At first i never really had a lot just a few blemishes here and there but then came my first cyst and that changed everything. i never had big quantity of acne but when the few came they came hard usually as big nasty cysts. Ive had a total of 3 surgically removed (though only my family really knows that) Then once i was in college and i guess stress factored in my acne began to expand but still generalze to certain areas: nose triangle, my breeding ground for cysts aka my right forhead and ocassionaly small ones on my temples/cheeks and between my eyes. And now its gotten to the point where my whole forehead looks like a post acne battlefield parts are discolored and small whiteheads seem to pop up everyday and recently a huge cyst in a place i wasnt used to getting them my mid-lower cheek. Once the big ones seem to go away they seem to leave a trail of baby pimples to wreak havoc.

My medication history started off with a normal bp regiment, then proactive, then some perscription clothes and creams, then antibiotics. As you can see it all escalated all of them worked at some point but eventually ran its course, well expect maybe the antibiotics they worked great but i was on them for over a year and began to worry about the long term use and i knew that it wasnt a permanent solution i was just masking the problem i wanted a fix. I hated having to explain to people why im on antibiots or why i was always poping a pill i was too embarassed to say because i have really bad acne. And i guess i did a good job because friends dont think i have an acne problem but thats probably because i crawl into a hole when i get a really bad cyst or breakout.

About me :angel: Im a recent college grad who just moved back home. This is kind of a year of or transition period for me until professional school next year (PA or med school). I would say im pretty self concious and acne had a big part to do with it, but beginning last year i decided to actually do something about it and not just my acne. Ive completely re-evaluated myself as a person and tried to work on myself mentally physicall and spiritually. I fixed a lot and was congratulated by many friends and family for my changes but one thing i felt i had no power over changing was acne. I feel like its a major roadblock in my life as it prevents me from being me. But now accutane offers a possible solution and just like i did with everything else im willing to try to better myself.

Why im here: Simply its because people dont seem to understand. Most people i know have had acne but not on the severity im used to having especially now heck i know me from 4-5 years ago with mild acne wouldnt be able to relate so i guess i cant blame them. The thing that bugs me is the lack of support, many feel its no big deal but what they dont know is all things it can keep u from doing by being self concious unsocial unconfident and anxious. Not until a few days before i started my accutane treament did my parents see the severity of how this affects me. I stopped going out, stopped working out, avoided working, and basically crawling into a hole because of it so now they finally support it but i feel there still a long way from understanding and my friends would be no different. So i come here hoping to vent and recieve advice and learn through reading everyones experience. As i really cant talk to anyone about this.

Thanks for reading. I'll be posting updates regularly.

Hi! I just wanted to wish you the best of luck on your accutane course. I'll be honest and tell you it's not an easy journey. It takes a lot of perseverance and patience, but the payoff in the end is indescribable. Stick with it, and you won't be sorry!

Hey new friend :).

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it , it's gonna be rough.

I'm 1 month into my course. Dryness, tiredness and joint pain are my main sideeffects.

Check my log for more details if you are interested :)

Good luck on accutane!!!

hey! it was good to read your story i can relate to a lot of what you've said.

i'm with the others though and cannot sugarcoat it or tell you its a magical pill.. well it sort of is but its HARD for some time. i'm in month 3 and its definatly getting better but only in little bits :)

i'm not sorry i took accutane at all, i was at a standstill for what to do and had nothing left. but some days i've wanted to punch the wall. and it will get worse before it gets better. BUT it does get better. and better. until your completely happy again :) we all look forward to that day!

welcome to the ranks!

j x

Thanks everyone,

IM only on day 3 but im feeling the chapped lip thing already i feel like im putting on chap stick so much it makes my lips feel greasey. Scalp is also really dry and dandruffy i heard its best not to wash u hair so much while on this stuff as it can fall out?

Neways the stuff seems to be kicking in quick i dont know whats the avg amount of time it takes for it to kick in as far as IB and some of the small side effects? I was expecting a week or a couple weeks in but it seems to have started fast. Hopefully this means it will end fast.

Update: 1 week of 40 mg Amnesteem

The good:I think i got through the worst of my IB its subsided but some new ones around it have formed and older cysts under the skin hiding as lumps have not yet completely surfaced. But they look like they are healing. Using cetaphil as a cleanser 3-4x a day and the moisturizer have helped i think. I still think it will be a couple weeks before i resemble 1/2 of my old self but im glad to start seeing some sort of improvement.

The bad:Chapped lips werent a big deal but they were there. Not much dryness as ive been using mosturizer and drinking water often. A lot of the acne (mainly smaller ones near hairlines) were very painful felt like a bunch of little needles stabbed in my face. Ive also had a lot of headaches. Now i was prone to them a lot when i was younger but hadnt had a problem with them until around the time i started accutane. I took a ibuprofin only a couple times where i didnt want to bear it anymore the other times i just put up with it. I am not sure if this is normal, if its related to the medicine or just from the pain of the acne or w/e. Today was the first time i woke up with a headache. A little worried but i could be a hypochodriac because of the intercranial pressure side effect that i know of. Im monitoring it closely if i feel any worse or it doesnt get better im going to see the doctor.

Overall im glad im on it nothing much has changed personally. i hope the headache thing isnt to serious and i can continue to finish this regimen. As i cant wait to get back to normal.

Edited by Hoopsjunkie631

:| Looks like my time is up...

I called my derm about my constant headaches ive had that wouldnt go away for the past 3 days and he told me to discontinue use...

I was told to wait 3 days and then follow up, but i think this is the end, as im guessing they think it could be a sign of intercranial pressure.

Whats really upsetting is that the nurse told me there is no other option so now it feels hopefless, this was my last attempt. All i can see now is being on antibiotics for the rest of my life. This sucks.

I know people saw through my acne, and they will see through yours too.

We can't be too hard on ourselves for something we can't control, i wish you the best of luck with finding your individual cure. Accutane isn't for everyone, but there is something out there for you. Keep searching and never give up on yourself!

Well the way i see it girls that have taken accutane are basically ruined for life

hollowed-out shells with only a small semblance of still being human walking around blindly

with their clear skin but soulless faces. zombies.

Accutane basically destroys the DNA, the woman's eggs are forever spoiled and the womb becomes

nothing more than a vessel for deformed stillborn babies.

I would never put my seed into these ruined vessels, i would rather fuk an alien. Not that they even

have any lubrication left on their vaginas to even facilitate such an act.

yours truly

- bio_nerd

Hey there, found your log. Thanks for posting on mine.

So you're really not continuing? I've noticed so many people having headaches in the first few weeks but they do go away. Understand if you're concerned though. I get bad migraines normally and the first few days of accutane I had a mild headache but I haven't had any problems since.

I totally understand everything in your story.. I'm sure many of us do. My IB kicked in around day 11 I think. I got a fair bit clearer in the first week but then BAM! I'm actually worse now than when I started, and I'm in month 3... but you've read my log and would know that.

Hope your headaches subside. Let us know what you decide to do about your course..