Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cat eyes

Will Yasmin work the second time around?

My doctor put me on Yasmin about 3 years ago for bad hormonal acne. It cleared up my skin completely. After about 2 years on Yasmin she switched me to Zovia which continued to keep my skin clear. Back in July I went off the Zovia for about three weeks, and my acne returned. I then went back to the doctor and was put back on Yasmin.

I have been on Yasmin for exactly two months now, and though the acne on my cheeks has cleared, I have now got horrible cystic acne on my jawline and neck that refuses to go away. It's definitely not getting any better. Possibly worse.

My question is, do I need to give the Yasmin more time to work and will it work as well the second time around? Would there be a reason why my body would respond differently to the Yasmin the second time?

Edited by cat eyes

For some strange reason, once you go off and break out it's takes longer the 2nd time to clear up. Just hang in there, it'll happen.

For some strange reason, once you go off and break out it's takes longer the 2nd time to clear up. Just hang in there, it'll happen.

Hi, Boston. Thanks! This is what my pharmacist and gynecologist are telling me as well, but I'm really starting to get impatient for it to kick in and clear my skin. The cysts on my jawline are painful and leaving noticeable scars. I could smack myself for going off the BC, and I can't believe only 3 weeks of no birth control made my skin this bad. I hope this clears up soon!

Yeah, I know, it's really crazy. Just two weeks of a reduced spiro dose made dd's face break out. I'm a big believer in peels. They accelerate the process of healing by initiating rapid exfoliation. We like vi-peels and salacylic acid peels. We used to use Bio-Medic for SA peels. If you consider that route, just make sure you use a very good practitioner. Last fall my daughter did a couple of vi-peels along with genesis laser treatments with amazing results.

Yeah, I know, it's really crazy. Just two weeks of a reduced spiro dose made dd's face break out. I'm a big believer in peels. They accelerate the process of healing by initiating rapid exfoliation. We like vi-peels and salacylic acid peels. We used to use Bio-Medic for SA peels. If you consider that route, just make sure you use a very good practitioner. Last fall my daughter did a couple of vi-peels along with genesis laser treatments with amazing results.

It is pretty crazy how your acne can go nuts after going off something for just a brief time. And then it seems to take forever to get your skin back to where it was before.

The acne on the left side of my neck is terrible right now. The right side has slowly started to clear up. Yasmin is also keeping the rest of my face pretty clear except for one or two random cystic bumps that will pop up. I feel like the Yasmin should be working a bit better than this by now. The acne on my neck is worse than I have ever seen it, even pre birth control.

Is it normal to get worse acne than before after going off BC, and is this why it takes longer to clear? My gyno said it could take up to six months to clear, but my derm wants to try Accutane if it is not improved in two months. Accutane makes me really nervous, but I am starting to get desperate.

Edited by cat eyes

It is pretty crazy how your acne can go nuts after going off something for just a brief time. And then it seems to take forever to get your skin back to where it was before.

The acne on the left side of my neck is terrible right now. The right side has slowly started to clear up. Yasmin is also keeping the rest of my face pretty clear except for one or two random cystic bumps that will pop up. I feel like the Yasmin should be working a bit better than this by now. The acne on my neck is worse than I have ever seen it, even pre birth control.

Is it normal to get worse acne than before after going off BC, and is this why it takes longer to clear? My gyno said it could take up to six months to clear, but my derm wants to try Accutane if it is not improved in two months. Accutane makes me really nervous, but I am starting to get desperate.

Accutane did not work for my daughter but I still feel it's worth a try because there is the potential for long-term remission. You might want to be clearer before starting on it to avoid an IB. I know you want it to work uber fast but you must be patient. Two months is not very long. It will happen especially since it has helped in the past. Your odds are good for it helping again, given enough time. Yes, it can get worse than what it was before when you go off. It's one of the frustrating aspects of the whole process. So try not to stress too much.

Thanks, Boston.

I went to the gynecologist this morning, and she seemed baffled as to why my neck is broken out but the rest of my skin is clear. She said it is definitely a hormonal breakout, and that my body is probably still adjusting to the new hormones. She said that if by three months in my acne is not improved at all, we may need to try another pill or I may just go on the Accutane and try to rid myself of this awful stuff once and for all.

Thank you for all your help and advice, and I will let you know how everything turns out.

Boston,

One more quick question. How long should I give the Yasmin to clear my skin? Someone suggested four months of use should be a good enough time frame to see whether or not it will work. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks!

Boston,

One more quick question. How long should I give the Yasmin to clear my skin? Someone suggested four months of use should be a good enough time frame to see whether or not it will work. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks!

That's a difficult question because when you are dealing with hormones, everyone is different. IMO, 3 - 4 would be minimum. It could take 6 - 9. I have read so much on this subject and once someone said it took a year!!! A really good skin care routine and/or some esthetician help hurries things along. Sometimes even added antibiotic for a short time can help. Just not long term. Just bc was never enough for my daughter. She always has taken spiro with bc pills and even was on doxycycline and other antibiotics. Just reducing spiro for a short time has caused her a setback.

Hi Boston,

Just an update: the right side of my neck is now fairly clear, but I have one small cyst on my jawline. My chin is clear as of right now. The left side of my jawline/neck is still bad. I have 3 pretty icky cysts with inflammation and smaller bumps everywhere. Each day I do think I notice it getting slightly better albeit very very slowly. It seems just as I get rid of one cyst on the left side another pops up shortly thereafter.

Still concerned that the Yasmin might not work as well as before even though I can't see why it wouldn't since Zovia was keeping my face spotless as recently as July. I'm hanging in there but still bummed it isn't clearing faster.

How is your daughter doing? Has this spiro kicked back in yet?

Edited by cat eyes

Hi Boston,

Just an update: the right side of my neck is now fairly clear, but I have one small cyst on my jawline. My chin is clear as of right now. The left side of my jawline/neck is still bad. I have 3 pretty icky cysts with inflammation and smaller bumps everywhere. Each day I do think I notice it getting slightly better albeit very very slowly. It seems just as I get rid of one cyst on the left side another pops up shortly thereafter.

Still concerned that the Yasmin might not work as well as before even though I can't see why it wouldn't since Zovia was keeping my face spotless as recently as July. I'm hanging in there but still bummed it isn't clearing faster.

She's had a lot of clearing but still getting new ones. She still isn't consistently clear like before.

Hi Boston,

She's had a lot of clearing but still getting new ones. She still isn't consistently clear like before.

Hopefully she clears soon. I can't see why she wouldn't if that dose of spiro was keeping her clear just a short time ago. I think when you mess with things and reduce or stop a dosage of a hormonal treatment, even for a short time, it takes a long time to get your hormones under control again. It's almost like having to start from scratch, which sucks.

Hi Boston,

Hopefully she clears soon. I can't see why she wouldn't if that dose of spiro was keeping her clear just a short time ago. I think when you mess with things and reduce or stop a dosage of a hormonal treatment, even for a short time, it takes a long time to get your hormones under control again. It's almost like having to start from scratch, which sucks.

I'm trying to be more chill about it. She's got a new BP allergy and gets dry from acne products so thats a challenge. she'd clear quicker if she could use her old products that used to work.

Hi Boston,

Hope all is well.

Just curious, but has your daughter tried topical Aczone. It's pricey, but it has helped bring down the cysts and inflammation under my jawline A LOT. Still not completely clear, but I have seen a fast improvement after just a few days of use. I'm going to use it until the BC kicks in completely and thought your daughter might want to try it until the Spiro gets her acne back under control.

Hi Boston,

Hope all is well.

Just curious, but has your daughter tried topical Aczone. It's pricey, but it has helped bring down the cysts and inflammation under my jawline A LOT. Still not completely clear, but I have seen a fast improvement after just a few days of use. I'm going to use it until the BC kicks in completely and thought your daughter might want to try it until the Spiro gets her acne back under control.

No, she hasn't tried that one. I told her about it so she can ask her doctor when she sees him next. Thank you!

Hi Boston,

I almost forgot to update you. I'm four months into the Yasmin, and my acne has cleared. I still have the occasional cyst, but my jawline/neck is completely clear and the scars are healing rapidly. Thanks for reassuring me it would work again as I was losing hope.

How is your daughter doing? Any clearing? Did she try the Aczone?

Edited by cat eyes

Hi Boston,

I almost forgot to update you. I'm four months into the Yasmin, and my acne has cleared. I still have the occasional cyst, but my jawline/neck is completely clear and the scars are healing rapidly. Thanks for reassuring me it would work again as I was losing hope.

How is your daughter doing? Any clearing? Did she try the Aczone?

Hi there,

Oh, I'm so happy to hear the happy news for you. It's such a relief isn't it? She has a referral pending for the derm to see if he has new tricks to try. She still is breaking out unfortunately and her skin is not very dependable at this point. I don't get it. I'll encourage her to ask about Aczone. Thanks for you your concern...

So there is hope! Thank you so much!

I was on BCP for 9 years, and then I went off it and started breaking out. My doctor put me back on tri-cyclen and it's been 3 months with no improvement. I was starting to worry that it wasn't going to help anything.

I know this topic is old, but I'm in this exact boat right now! .... And it feels good to vent and to see that I am not the only one.

After making the mistake of going off of Yasmin (after many years of flawless skin), my acne came back worse than ever before!!

I got back onto Yasmin... but now, on the 2nd week of the 4th pack, there's still no sign of things improving.

What to do?