Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jack's Smirking Revenge

Redness, Dryness, Itchiness Caused by Moisturizer

Hey all,

A few months ago, I noticed that my skin was becoming more and more sensitive to pretty much everything. I was only washing with a Cetaphil bar, but I figured that I had become allergic to it so I switched to the Purpose Gentle Cleanser. That was even worse. I tried all sorts of gentle cleansers but my skin kept getting worse. Finally, I started washing my face with nothing but oatmeal. And yet, after weeks my skin remained itchy, taut, and extremely dry.

Frustrated, I checked out the ingredients on the moisturizer I had been faithfully using day and night for nearly a year (Aveeno w/ Colloidal Oatmeal). I have now come to the conclusion that the benzyl alcohol in the lotion, after continuous use, has stripped my skin of its protective barrier and cause some sort of contact dermatitis. I assume it became so bad that even gentle cleansers like Cetaphil and Purpose were irritating my skin and causing me to break out. (I'm almost positive that my acne is 90% irritation.)

I'm posting for two reasons. The first is to encourage everyone to check the ingredients of the products they are using. Even if it doesn't harm your skin immediately, it may over time. Moisturizers with (most) alcohols should be avoided. I know many, many people use Aveeno's moisturizing lotions, so I just wanted to give a heads up.

The second reason for posting is to get some advice on how to restore the lipids to my skin. Most repair creams contain alcohols or sodium laureth/lauryl sulfate, both of which make matters worse. Has anyone else gone through this process? If so, what products did you use and how long did it take for your skin to bounce back?

Thanks in advance for any replies. AND REMEMBER TO CAREFULLY CHECK INGREDIENTS BEFORE YOU APPLY ANYTHING TO YOUR SKIN!

Yes, you are right. The idea here is also to learn about the stuff your are putting on your face. Research about the ingredients. About lipid restoration, check out Stiefel's Fisiogels A.I (to be used at night preferably). You can also check La Roche-Posay products (like Effaclar H or another)

Get some pure jojoba oil. Use that as your only moisturizer. You will be amazed at how good your face feels;)

You can find it at health food stores or get it online.

When my son was fighting acne his skin became burnt looking from the acne wash and lotions. Once I got him to start using jojoba, no more red, itchy, dry skin, and his acne actually got a lot better.

I have the same problem (from using really harsh perscription creams that worked at first but ended up stripping moisture from my skin causing irritation). I have been trying to use natural ways to soothe my skin, even iced the irritation which surprisingly helped a bit! But for now I guess just keep putting moisturizer on it and try not to cover anything up- thats my struggle :P

check out cerave. its main focus is how it restores the skins barrer. they have a cleanser which is okay, their mositurizers are the best. cerave mositurizing lotion and cream are worth checking out

check out cerave. its main focus is how it restores the skins barrer. they have a cleanser which is okay, their mositurizers are the best. cerave mositurizing lotion and cream are worth checking out

Cerave contains alcohols as well, so that's not going to work for me. :)

Anyone know how long it should take for skin to bounce back from being wrecked by a harsh product? Can I leave it alone and expect it to recover or do I need to find some sort of rebuilding product?

I have the same problem (from using really harsh perscription creams that worked at first but ended up stripping moisture from my skin causing irritation). I have been trying to use natural ways to soothe my skin, even iced the irritation which surprisingly helped a bit! But for now I guess just keep putting moisturizer on it and try not to cover anything up- thats my struggle :P

In my case, it's the moisturizer that is drying out my skin. Who would have thought? What kind of moisturizer do you use?

I've been supplementing with MSM and some other things in an attempt to restore some normalcy to my skin from within. I don't wash my face with anything but oatmeal powder (weird, I know) and only apply Vaseline to really scaly areas (also weird, but apparently it doesn't break you out). We'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

In my case, it's the moisturizer that is drying out my skin. Who would have thought? What kind of moisturizer do you use?

I've been supplementing with MSM and some other things in an attempt to restore some normalcy to my skin from within. I don't wash my face with anything but oatmeal powder (weird, I know) and only apply Vaseline to really scaly areas (also weird, but apparently it doesn't break you out). We'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

I use neutrogena sensitive skin oil free moisturizer..i find it works really well. Its not too greasy and doesnt break me out. My skin is a bit dry and tight so it helps, but im not sure how well it would work on your skin if its scaly and extremely dry. You can always give it a try though

Edited by laura6

I use neutrogena sensitive skin oil free moisturizer..i find it works really well. Its not too greasy and doesnt break me out. My skin is a bit dry and tight so it helps, but im not sure how well it would work on your skin if its scaly and extremely dry. You can always give it a try though

Right now, the Vaseline seems to be helping. I think I just have to give my skin some time to recover and then I may start adding in other products. My face used to get super-irritated around my smile lines (so basically just from moving), but now that type of reaction has been reduced quite a bit. I'll probably also see if some anti-inflammatory foods help me out at all.

Right now, the Vaseline seems to be helping. I think I just have to give my skin some time to recover and then I may start adding in other products. My face used to get super-irritated around my smile lines (so basically just from moving), but now that type of reaction has been reduced quite a bit. I'll probably also see if some anti-inflammatory foods help me out at all.

Ya I had pretty much the same thing, where I could hardly even smile or open my mouth sometimes. Unfortunately had a dentist appointment when it was at its worst and wow did it irritate the hell out of it, it was actually painful for me to open my mouth so they could clean my teeth :( But anyways for me, I have been washing with spectro jel (everything I was using before just irriated it more) and have been putting on moisturizer and even tried vaseline like you (the days it was worse). Now the redness has reduced drastically and the little bumps are disspearing, and I can easily smile :)