Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi Everyone. I really want to take a minute to tell you about me. I am a 29 y/o F with a 5 year history of adult cystic acne. It all started when I was 24. I came off OCP's and my hormones when CRAZY! I broke out in big, inflammed cystic acne all over my chin, neck and back. I tried everything to get rid of it. Every cleanser under the sun, antibiotics (mino, doxy, sulfamet), topicals (differin, Retin-A, tazorac) and even tried large doses of Vitamin B5 (taking 10,000 mg's a day). Nothing worked. I decided to try accutane as a last resort. I started on September 30th. I am currently on 40mg daily. The first 2 days were fine. Day 3 had some GI issues. I have had a slight headache since starting the medication but it isn't unbearable. Day 4 and 5 Im developing very dry skin and my lips are becoming chapped. My skin has had very few new breakouts since starting the meds, nothing major. It actually seems to be doing better! Im hoping for no IB. I use a high-frequency machine to zap any new breakout and it seems to make it disappear fast!! Im using cetaphil cleanser. I also bought aquaphor moisterizing ointment to use on my face at night and my lips. I use neutrogena facial lotion with SPF 20 during the day because the eucerin ointment is a little greasy. This regimen has made the dry skin MUCH better. I cant wait to see the progress. Will try and post pics soon.

Hi Everyone. I really want to take a minute to tell you about me. I am a 29 y/o F with a 5 year history of adult cystic acne. It all started when I was 24. I came off OCP's and my hormones when CRAZY! I broke out in big, inflammed cystic acne all over my chin, neck and back. I tried everything to get rid of it. Every cleanser under the sun, antibiotics (mino, doxy, sulfamet), topicals (differin, Retin-A, tazorac) and even tried large doses of Vitamin B5 (taking 10,000 mg's a day). Nothing worked. I decided to try accutane as a last resort. I started on September 30th. I am currently on 40mg daily. The first 2 days were fine. Day 3 had some GI issues. I have had a slight headache since starting the medication but it isn't unbearable. Day 4 and 5 Im developing very dry skin and my lips are becoming chapped. My skin has had very few new breakouts since starting the meds, nothing major. It actually seems to be doing better! Im hoping for no IB. I use a high-frequency machine to zap any new breakout and it seems to make it disappear fast!! Im using cetaphil cleanser. I also bought aquaphor moisterizing ointment to use on my face at night and my lips. I use neutrogena facial lotion with SPF 20 during the day because the eucerin ointment is a little greasy. This regimen has made the dry skin MUCH better. I cant wait to see the progress. Will try and post pics soon.

wow five years of cystic acne?! your poor thing. accutane is totally going to kick it in the butt :)

good luck!

j x

Edited by jennyband

Hey good luck with your course!

Yeh uploading pics will be a definite plus.. then we can all marvel and compliment you on your skin's transformation!

I'll be keeping up on your log!

Jason

Hey good luck with your course!

Yeh uploading pics will be a definite plus.. then we can all marvel and compliment you on your skin's transformation!

I'll be keeping up on your log!

Jason

Thanks sooo much ;)

Thanks Jenny. Yea, I didnt have health insurance for the past 3 years so I suffered :( I got insurance this year and the first thing i did was see a derm :) My skin is reacting great so far. Im really excited to see the changes so fast!!

wow five years of cystic acne?! your poor thing. accutane is totally going to kick it in the butt :)

good luck!

j x

So, today is day 10. I cannot believe how much better my skin is already. It seems like my face still gets oily but the skin is still a little dry and flakey. The aquaphor seems to really help the flakiness out. My lips are the worst part. They are so chapped! Im constantly applying chap stick every 30 minutes. The GI problems are fine unless I take the medication on a not-so-full stomach. Still a vague headache. It's "that time of the month" right now and usually I break out in 4-5 cystic areas either under my chin/neck area and a couple on my face. Today, just one under chin, one little bump on my collar bone (very odd place) and another little bump showed up on my back near the rib cage (painful!). Im happy with that. It does seem like my breakouts heal a lot quicker than they did before. I guess that is because all the oil is being absorbed quicker, IDK. No IB yet. Im hoping since I have mild cystic acne (around menstration) that I wont get it. My complexion is great as of now. Just some stuff healing up from last month. Overall, I am happy with the decision to start accutane.

Just hang in there no matter what! It may get rough or it may stay mild. Just prepare yourself for a bumpy road. Lots of water! Smart water is great. I drink about 60oz a day. Also, I find if I hop right out of the shower, dry off and use my cetaphil mosturizer on my face (especially on and around lips) it really reduces the chapped lips and flaky skin. Good luck!! :)

Threads merged.

To update your log, please use the 'Add Reply' button to update this thread. The 'New Post' button starts an entirely new, unrelated thread.

Just hang in there no matter what! It may get rough or it may stay mild. Just prepare yourself for a bumpy road. Lots of water! Smart water is great. I drink about 60oz a day. Also, I find if I hop right out of the shower, dry off and use my cetaphil mosturizer on my face (especially on and around lips) it really reduces the chapped lips and flaky skin. Good luck!! :)

Thanks for the encouragement!! I am definitely hanging in there. Had 2 little cysts pop up 2 days ago below my chin (the usual spot) but the are already going away. The first thing I do when I get out of the shower is moisterize my face, so that is good to know that it seems to work for you too. I work out daily, so H20 is already a part of my daily routine :)

So, for the past 4 days Ive had this weird eye twitching in my right eye. Has anyone ever experience this before?? Its seems to be going away but it is rather annoying. Other than that, my accutane side effects are minimal. Im pretty sure my derm will up my dosage next visit. Although Im seeing a little progress, im still getting a little more oily on my face than I should.

Well the way i see it girls that have taken accutane are basically ruined for life

hollowed-out shells with only a small semblance of still being human walking around blindly

with their clear skin but soulless faces. zombies.

Accutane basically destroys the DNA, the woman's eggs are forever spoiled and the womb becomes

nothing more than a vessel for deformed stillborn babies.

I would never put my seed into these ruined vessels, i would rather fuk an alien. Not that they even

have any lubrication left on their vaginas to even facilitate such an act.

yours truly

- bio_nerd

Wow, one month down and 3 to go! Had a little set back. About 5 little cystic areas popped up last week. Finally they are going away. Yesterday I had one more pop up on my neck. Im trying to stay positive but it is really hard. I had a derm appointment 3 days ago and they upped my dosage to alternating 40/80 mg's. My side effects are hardly any except dry skin and chapped lips. Scalp is a little itchy at times. Still have this right eye twich going on but IDK. There is a huge difference in the amount of oil on my face. My face rarely gets shiney anymore....if at all, even in the heat. Also, notice how much less oily my hair gets...now I dont have to wash it everyday, awesome!! Thanks to everyone who reads this. It's nice to have people who understand what's going on.