Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CelloIsLove

This is moderately acne related, but mostly health

So I basically have about a gazillion symptoms that are freaking me out. I posted this on Yahoo! Answers, and I'm putting it here rather than typing it out again:

Over 2 weeks ago I began having general symptoms of anemia-fatigue, dizziness, weakness. I had a minor bike accident (barely phased me) and the scrape on my knee and bruises from it still have not healed, and that happened 16 days ago. Normally my body heals very fast. I've also gotten more bruises since then that I don't recall hurting myself.

I eat very healthy-some meat, fruit, and plenty of vegetables. I eat about a serving of meat every day, and eggs almost every morning, as well as lots of iron rich greens. I don't understand why it seems I'm suffering from anemia.

Six days ago I started having diarrhea, and it has not stopped since. I have recurring headaches (which are probably not related, but I didn't want to omit them). Additional symptoms have been:

Abdominal pain right below where chest plate ends

Itchy areas, especially on my back and localized on my stomach

Nausea

Lack of stamina/tiring fast from normal activities

A distinct spot of muscle loss on my right knee

Leg pain (especially in joints/bone)

Poor sleep

Shakiness/occasional loss of muscle control

I had a swollen lymph node in my armpit about a week ago, but it went down. One on my neck seems slightly swollen, but not very much.

I wondered if maybe my symptoms were just stress or in my head, but the three things that are plain, visible, and solid are the spot of muscle loss, the diarrhea, the lack of healing, and the bone pain.

Avoid that thread unless you want to kill yourself. Also Mike, stop spamming.

Have you considered the time you're eating, do you eat lots of small meals? Sometimes 1 or 2 big meals a day instead can help digestion. Your diet seems good but we need a bit more information. Meat could be anything. Also how much fruit and which? It's also possible there's just one thing in your diet causing problems.

Avoid that thread unless you want to kill yourself. Also Mike, stop spamming.

Have you considered the time you're eating, do you eat lots of small meals? Sometimes 1 or 2 big meals a day instead can help digestion. Your diet seems good but we need a bit more information. Meat could be anything. Also how much fruit and which? It's also possible there's just one thing in your diet causing problems.

I eat mostly chicken or fish, occasionally beef or venison. I eat about a serving of that sort of meat a day, and eggs nearly every day.

I eat about one piece of fruit a day, and normally it's either some sort of berry or kiwi.

:/

Where do you get your calories and have you calculated how much you get per day?

Eating too little can lead to problems for some people.

More accurate example of your meals on average day would help (with weights and amounts of food).

Reviewing my diet again, I realize I'm a bimbo and I actually eat about 2 servings of meat, not one :doh:

I don't know the weights, because I don't normally obsess too much over what I eat. So here's the best I can do:

Weight: 108 (was 111)

Height: 5'3"

Breakfast: 2 eggs and a large green smoothie (just greens)

Midday snack: Veggie and raw unsalted pumpkin seeds

Lunch: Big salad with greens, often cucumbers, and chicken.

Snack: Some sort of nut

Dinner: Some sort of meat, sweet potato, salad

Desert: Piece of fruit

I've been eating this way for a while now without problems, but maybe it's just build up? Also, I vary my greens, so I doubt it's the oxilates.

I never lost weight before. I can't stand being hungry, so I always eat enough to fill me up (or else I cheat). I also eat ghee or olive oil with my main meals.

I've just been listening to my body. If I'm hungry, I eat.

It doesn't explain the anemia :/

I don't think it's diet related as there are too many other symptoms. :( I do hope your blood tests come out reasonably and you learn what this is and that the treatment's rapid in giving you relief. I guess the doctor ordered many panels to help determine the cause of all this: kidney, liver, blood levels including hemoglobin and hematocrit, WBC, platelets, etc. Did the doc mention taking a biopsy of the area of muscle loss? Although that would wait for less invasive tests to be done first.

Write down all your symptoms for the doctor when you go in next time, even if you think it can't have anything to do with what you're experiencing. The history and physical are the very first things that help a doctor narrow down a diagnosis.

I'm not about to attempt to diagnose. I'm just going to wish you well and a quick recovery.

Do NOT start taking a bunch of supplements until you know what you're dealing with.

I've just been listening to my body. If I'm hungry, I eat.

It doesn't explain the anemia :/

I don't think it's diet related as there are too many other symptoms. :( I do hope your blood tests come out reasonably and you learn what this is and that the treatment's rapid in giving you relief. I guess the doctor ordered many panels to help determine the cause of all this: kidney, liver, blood levels including hemoglobin and hematocrit, WBC, platelets, etc. Did the doc mention taking a biopsy of the area of muscle loss? Although that would wait for less invasive tests to be done first.

Write down all your symptoms for the doctor when you go in next time, even if you think it can't have anything to do with what you're experiencing. The history and physical are the very first things that help a doctor narrow down a diagnosis.

I'm not about to attempt to diagnose. I'm just going to wish you well and a quick recovery.

Do NOT start taking a bunch of supplements until you know what you're dealing with.

Thanks, Wynne. Supplements rarely help me, so I will stay away from them. I'm still bitter that my mom force fed me prilosec last night though >_<

I'm hoping he did order an extensive panel of tests. He's a great doctor, so I would imagine he did. I will let you know when the tests come back, and again, thanks :)

My blood tests were normal. I'm so confused. I don't even know what to think at this point.

Edit: I'm picking up my blood tests now to have a look myself.

Edited by CelloIsLove

I would get a full thyroid panel done- I think thyroid imbalances are seriously a hidden epidemic in this country. Thyroid dysfunction is both the manifestation of our unhealthy environment, but also the cause of other problems.

And I completely agree with staying away from supplements until you know exactly what you got going on here. Also, eat more fat.

I would get a full thyroid panel done- I think thyroid imbalances are seriously a hidden epidemic in this country. Thyroid dysfunction is both the manifestation of our unhealthy environment, but also the cause of other problems.

And I completely agree with staying away from supplements until you know exactly what you got going on here. Also, eat more fat.

This. I've had some symptoms like yours for a year, among others, and it turns out that my thyroid was slightly out of whack. Also, don't you have celiac? Celiac and Hashimoto's thyroiditis often occur together. Getting tested for thyroid antibodies would rule this out.

I would definitely avoid the prilosec unless you have imminently dangerous peptic ulcers that need a low-acid environment to heal. I had chest pains, too, along with acid reflux and all your other symptoms at one point or another except for weight and muscle loss. The chest/abdominal pains worried me the most, so I had many tests done for that and other symptoms. They prescribed a slew of drugs with no real diagnoses'. They didn't work and the prilosec after a while made it worse.

Most peoples' reflux (which can cause that pain at the bottom of your chest plate/ribs) is caused by too little stomach acid, and prilosec and others just cut the acid down even more. It will only temporarily stop the pain, while just masking and actually contributing to the underlying cause. You won't be absorbing nutrients and with no stomach acid the ph becomes hospitable for h. pylori (which is ironically a main cause for acid reflux)and other harmful pathogens. After you go off of them, many people report a yo-yo effect where there stomach acid production shoots up dramatically causing even worse reflux. PPI's like prilosec are also linked to increased bone fractures, pneumonia, bacteria-caused diarrhea, h-pylori, B-12 deficiency, dependency and withdrawal symptoms.

I know you dislike supplements, but I'd try taking HCL, which supplements your own stomach acid, during or after meals. It worked for me where prilosec (and nexium, tums, rolaids, zantac, reglan) terribly failed. Also, I would suggest more fats. Coconut oil is especially great for giving the thyroid and adrenals a chance to heal.

Edited by ryudoadema

Thanks guys. Quirky Pixy, I'm not sure about hypothyroidism, because I'm losing weight, not gaining it. Hyperthyroidism might match, however. I'm confused by these blood test results though. I have three pages:

Comprehensive Metabolic Panel

TSH Reflex Testing (Which only had one test?)

CBC/Auto Diff

So the TSH is the thyroid one, and it only has one test run on it. Does this mean that it's not a full thyroid panel? Should I order one?

I'm awfully confused.

If anyone has any experience with blood work results like this, please let me know.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Along with TSH you would also want your T3 and T4 measured for your thyroid. I'm not sure why some doctors only take one measurement.

Weigh and measure your food for a week or so to accurately gauge how many calories you are taking in and then enter everything into Fitday to obtain totals and macro ratios. Many people think it is OCD to weigh your food, but unless you do it, you really have no idea how many calories you are eating, even if you are knowledgeable of nutrition. Carbs seem like they may be really low (too low, and thyroid tends to like carbs).

If the fever abates, the quick and dirty thyroid test is to take you temperature several times a day and create a log and compare the values. If overall body temperature is low or starts to drop it MAY signal thyroid is a bit sluggish, although this is by no means a completely accurate test. Although, it is convenient and easy to gauge yourself day to day. Most of the time when I start to feel sluggish and just generally poor, my body temps start to dip and I have to eat more, especially carbs, to get them back up (at which point I usually start to feel better).

Of course, it could be any number of things but my above suggestions are almost free and take very little time and effort to implement so I believe them to be worthwhile while you await further tests or ideas.

Thanks guys. Quirky Pixy, I'm not sure about hypothyroidism, because I'm losing weight, not gaining it. Hyperthyroidism might match, however. I'm confused by these blood test results though. I have three pages:

Comprehensive Metabolic Panel

TSH Reflex Testing (Which only had one test?)

CBC/Auto Diff

So the TSH is the thyroid one, and it only has one test run on it. Does this mean that it's not a full thyroid panel? Should I order one?

I'm awfully confused.

If anyone has any experience with blood work results like this, please let me know.

With Hashimoto's, you can fluctuate from hyperthyroid (and lose weight) to hypothyroid, and your TSH can rise and fall frequently. You also will not necessarily gain weight with hypothyroidism. You should test Free T3, Free T4, TPO antibody, Thyroglobulin antibody, and also Reverse T3; this will give you a complete picture of the situation. Even if your numbers are in range, if your free T3 or T4 is on the low end of the range, reverse T3 is high (body can't use this form), or your TSH is above 3.0-ish, it's likely your thyroid is causing your symptoms. If you have any questions feel free to ask me; I've done a ton of reading on this stuff because you have to play your own doctor when you have thyroid issues as most docs are clueless about them. :wall:

Where do you get your calories and have you calculated how much you get per day?

More accurate example of your meals on average day would help (with weights and amounts of food).

Reviewing my diet again, I realize I'm a bimbo and I actually eat about 2 servings of meat, not one :doh:

I don't know the weights, because I don't normally obsess too much over what I eat. So here's the best I can do:

I've been eating this way for a while now without problems, but maybe it's just build up? Also, I vary my greens, so I doubt it's the oxilates.

I never lost weight before. I can't stand being hungry, so I always eat enough to fill me up (or else I cheat). I also eat ghee or olive oil with my main meals.

You need more fat in there, load up your meals with EVOO or Virgin Coconut Oil. Take spoonfulls of coconut oil, eat avocado, eat more nuts. Your diet seems low in carbs, when you cut carbs you have to replace it with fats.... the good ones. Pork is a good source of fats too. Try it and see how you feel, it cant hurt!

You need more fat in there, load up your meals with EVOO or Virgin Coconut Oil. Take spoonfulls of coconut oil, eat avocado, eat more nuts. Your diet seems low in carbs, when you cut carbs you have to replace it with fats.... the good ones. Pork is a good source of fats too. Try it and see how you feel, it cant hurt!

I do eat quite a bit of fat. I will try to up my calories :]

QuiryPixy, I've never had a problem with gaining weight, though. I've always only ever been too thin. I've been doing a lot of research and such, and many of the symptoms matched. I will get further thyroid testing done, but I would want to try and right this homeopathically. Most of the treatment for this prescription-wise seems a bit drastic, and many people have had success with natural treatment. My doctor told me that he's not going to rule anything out at this point, but I have been feeling a little better in general for the past few days. This has seemed to have a rollercoaster effect, so I'm not sure how I'll feel tomorrow, or even a week from now. But we will hope it's the thyroid and start trying to fix that.

My lymph nodes are slightly swollen today, but I'm not getting concerned unless they get big.

Thank-you all, so very much. This has been scary, and you've all really helped. Thank-you also, QuirkyPixy, for bringing my thyroid to my attention. This section has been so much help to me through my time here, and the health changes I've made because of this will benefit me for the rest of my life :wub:

To be honest you should also look into calcium deficiency. As a lot of people said on here, I wouldn't start taking any supplements until you know what's wrong but this seems like some sort of vitamin/mineral deficiency. I was just reading about calcium deficiencies because I've always had problems with shin splints and this thread came to mind.