Notifications
Clear all

Dairy Free diet

MemberMember
(@gingersnap)

Posted : 10/05/2010 2:12 pm

Hi all,

Im a newbie, so please be gentle!

Ive suffered with acne for approx 17 years, and tried everything under the sun. I had roaccutane treatment when I was 16, which cleared it, then it reappeared 18 month later. I was not allowed another course of the treatment, and have been suffering ever since.

I was told about dairy products having an affect on people with acne a while ago, I wondered if anyone else had tried this, and what were the results?

Im pretty desperate because I wont be prescribed any more treatment now, and its just not getting any better with age. I will try anything!

Thanks

Ginger

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 10/06/2010 2:27 am

Dairy is certainly one of the many possiblities that you can eliminate from your diet that may help. I have not had any dairy in the past 2 and a half years, and unfortunately it has not been the big fix I thought it would be. It is definitely worth trying! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 10/10/2010 2:26 pm

I'm currently going dairy-free. I think it may be helping a little bit but like anything natural I'm sure it'll take a long time before I see any real significant change - especially since I've been eating dairy forever. I think adult acne requires doing things differently on many fronts...because who knows what exactly is causing it? So diet (organic, low glycemic, no caffeine, etc), a topical (retin-a, BP, etc), something internal (anti-androgen, accutane, etc), and something for your mind (yoga, medication) probably gives the best results. But nothing is perfect. I'm in a bit of a funk right now cause I keep striving for perfection but my skin refuses to comply. I still break out with some pimples here and there.

MemberMember
(@revelry)

Posted : 10/10/2010 4:07 pm

I have never eaten any dairy products (because of allergies and I also don't like it), but I have acne.. But maybe it works for some people.

MemberMember
(@beautytipshub)

Posted : 10/12/2010 1:39 am

i'm suffering from back acne problems since 10 years..some one suggest me to take some natural treatments..is there any natural treatment for back acne?

MemberMember
(@her)

Posted : 10/12/2010 12:13 pm

For so long I was a firm believer that acne had nothing to do with what I ate. I had terrible acne and went on roaccutane. After roaccutane, my acne came back but not in full force like it was before accutane. I went on doxycycline.. that helped, I'd say I was 80% clear; spotting here and there and a couple of cysts every month.

About a year ago I became vegan. My skin glows and I rarely get pimples, ever. I've had so many compliments on my skin. It took atleast a couple of months for me to really see results, but it has made a HUGE difference to my skin. I'm not only talking acne, but skin texture and radiance as well... this might have something to do with the fact that I no longer need to use harsh chemicals like benzoyl peroxide salicylic acid all over my face.

Since being vegan, I once accidently bought pasta sauce containing dairy (milk and parmesan cheese). I don't know why I didn't check the ingredients beforehand. It only occurred to me that it could have dairy in it after eating it when mum told me the sauce would probably have dairy in it... A couple of days later I had a large cyst erupt on my cheek. This is the ONLY cyst I have had throughout the last 10 months of being vegan.

By the way, my reason for becoming vegan had nothing to do with my acne. I don't know if not eating meat/fish has anything to do with my now 99% clear skin but I have no doubt in my mind that cutting out dairy is the best thing I have ever done for my skin.

Something else to note, I never really thought about nutrition before I became vegan. Now I eat far more vegetables (e.g. a LOT of spinach and seaweed for it's high iron content) and a lot more fruit too... I think this has contributed to the overall health of my skin, but again. From my experience, dairy contributed a great deal to my acne and I will never introduce that evil into my life again.

Lucky987 and Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 08/08/2015 3:18 pm

Oh my gosh, people. Yes dairy is one of the main foods that have the biggest affect on acne. But most people's acne isn't gonna clear just by taking out dairy.

Look at her. She wnt vegan, and it took 3 months for her acne to clear. That won't work for everyone who has problems with food. Like one girl's acne was caused by tomatoes. My acne reacts to grapes, apples, garlic, onions, etc. Along with dairy and soy. And a bunch of other stuff. I'm a vegan, too. But not just for acne. Veganism does have massive healing powers, though. So it may end up healing whatever is causing people's acne without them even having to find out what it is.

Sorry, my main point was that when it comes to diet, it's not as easy as going gluten free, and taking out one food. It's also not as easy as going on someone else's diet, like the Paleo Diet. No, it takes figuring out what foods are affecting your acne. And that could be literally any food. ANY FOOD! Even leafy greens, or ground beef!

leelowe1 liked