Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sydney Girl

AntiBiotics giving me acne! WHY??

I just turned 25. I have never and I mean never had a problem with acne.. I started taking antibiotics awhile back as I had a chest infection that would not go away. I started getting acne pretty badly and I didn't link it to the anti biotics. My doctor put me on Differin (big mistake) Acne was ten times worse and then doctor told me to stop, as I was having a bad reaction to it. About four months of what was called by my doctor as "Sever" acne. It started to completly go away and I was left with very bad acne scars. Which i hated but it was better then the acne. Then I got a sinus infection that has lasted for over a month and because it won't go away, again I got presribed antibiotics and again.. I'm getting acne.. What is up with this? Is this normal? I have searched the net and can't find anyone having this problem. Please help?

Strange indeed. But reading your story, you have a little problem with your immune system. Acne is produce by hormones, but if you can't control bacteria, you got acne too. So I would suggest to improve your immune system, eat well, drink water, take some echinacea, research, etc.

Edited by Corsair

I know that topicals seem to bring out the head in acne making it exteremly ripe, exceptionally quick. Never heard of orals doing the same thing though... I know that doesn't help, but you may want to consult another doctor (dermatologist maybe) to see if they have any insight. A trip to an internist may also yield some answers.

Good luck!

hey same here im 27 and every time i take antibiotics i brake out something mean. last time was when i was taking them for my strep throat. honestly i try to avoid antib as much as possible but the only advice would be just like the last statement ...BE HEALTHY .. i have cut out fried foods and drink a gallon of water a day now and im getting clean... its been a month of this soo far.. also that honey mask is magic..

I just turned 25. I have never and I mean never had a problem with acne.. I started taking antibiotics awhile back as I had a chest infection that would not go away. I started getting acne pretty badly and I didn't link it to the anti biotics. My doctor put me on Differin (big mistake) Acne was ten times worse and then doctor told me to stop, as I was having a bad reaction to it. About four months of what was called by my doctor as "Sever" acne. It started to completly go away and I was left with very bad acne scars. Which i hated but it was better then the acne. Then I got a sinus infection that has lasted for over a month and because it won't go away, again I got presribed antibiotics and again.. I'm getting acne.. What is up with this? Is this normal? I have searched the net and can't find anyone having this problem. Please help?

Antibiotics kill bacteria indiscriminately. Some of the bacteria they killed obviously were beneficial in some way to your skin flora by keeping pathogenic (in this case, acne-causing) bacteria in check.

It completely makes sense that antibiotics can increase acne.

If by scars you mean red marks, those fade on their own eventually. Indented scars (true scars) do not.

You could talk to your doctor about a trial of Nizoral shampoo or Selsun Blue or Head and Shoulders. A lot of the anti-dandruff shampoos seem to help with antibiotic-associated acne, particularly when the acne's caused by a fungal or different bacteria. Use the shampoo like you'd use if for a body wash. Be sure to rinse it off completely!

Thank you. I'm currently using Nizoral shampoo every night when I'm in the shower as a face wash, seems to be working pretty well. Have had only one new pimples within the week. Thank you for the help guys. I thought I was weird for this happening to me.

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!

I had a staph infection caused by acne (go figure) a year ago, and the antibiotics cleared it up. Then I got a few more pimples. My derm for the staph insisted I had adult onset acne and put me on minocycline, tetracycline, doxycycline, bactrim, and my acne just kept getting worse.

Then she put me on birth control to "correct" this and now I have more acne AND STAPH in my life.

Don't know what to do anymore. I firmly believe antibiotics CAN contribute to acne. Doesn't mean they dont work wonders for some though....