Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pinkstarlett

When is it time to try something new?

Tommorow marks 13 weeks for me on Retin-A micro (I started July 6th), yesterday I had the worst breakout i've had in a long time and am still breaking out frequently. Is 13 weeks too late in the game to be breaking out this bad? or should I wait longer for this to work? Luckily i'm going to the derm next week. I'm just so discouraged, i'm 26 and tired of my skin. I look like i'm 15 or 16. I still get carded.....at rated R movies! lol Has anyone still broken out at the 3 month mark but gone on to have great results? Thanks :D

Edited by pinkstarlett

I feel your pain! I started on July 5th with Isotrex gel, I'm now 25 and so fed up with acne. I'm still getting small popups (nothing like the initial breakout in week 2).

I will be continuing till the end of the year.

P.s. Last Thursday I got a tube of Finecea and holy crap I think it's working for me, when you see your derm get him/her to prescribe you Azelaic Acid, it's worth a shot and it will work fairly quickly.

I feel like you should let your dermatologist determine whether the medication is working for you or not, especially they ARE the doctor and all. Personally, I used tretinoin (retin-a's main/active ingredient) for about 4.5 months/18 weeks before my breakouts finally started to clear up, and even then I still got painful breakouts regularly. Although I was seeing results (slowly), I ended up switching to Differin because the tretinoin was wayy too irritating on my sensitive skin. For me the Differin is working much better just because it's not as harsh (my skin was red, itchy, flaking, etc. with the tretinoin)

Everyone is different, and what worked for others might not work for you.

Best of luck!

Edited by fourfivesix

Thanks for the replies. I saw my dermotologist and will continue on the RAM. I'm almost on week 15 ( and knock on wood) I think am finally starting to see some great progress. However, he also perscribed me solodyn which was weary about taking, and still am, but so far I think it's helping.

It gives me a lot of hope that you saw clearing around 4.5 months!

Yes it’s hard for people our age to be still dealing with acne. I find myself always scanning other people's faces for flaws and finding nothing as bad as mine. So embarrassing, but I also hope RAM is my answer.

I’ve been on it since May (almost 6 months) and I am experiencing a major breakout right now. I had two whiteheads that were embedded for a while and they have finally turned into zits. I hate that they started “blooming†at the same time though.

But this should be the end of my major zits (I hope). I think people need to stick with a retinoid for a good year before moving on.

i don't agree with sticking with retinoids for over a year. 3-4 months should be sufficient time with acne breakouts frequency decreasing over time. Are you moisturizing properly or cleansing properly? I was on Ziana for almost a year and it has worked great on my forehead (no longer need anything but moisturizer) but then i would break out cysts on my chin every week and I switched over to Differin which has been great so far.

Yeah I agree that if you're still breaking out badly within 3-4 months of retinoid use then you should move onto something else. I just meant that if you're getting decent results with a retinoid then you should really give it a year to see the full results and to see if it's something you want to stick with in the long term.

RAM has been working for me well up until now. But I think I should be fine after I get past the battle I'm currently dealing with.

Hey pink starlet! I can relate to you - I the same age and still get ID'd constantly!! Maybe it's just that you have a young face generally, that's why you get asked for ID! It happens to me even when my skin is good. We'll be grateful in years to come!

Have you tried Dan's regimen? If the Duac is working for you then maybe trying a BZ based regimen would be a good idea. I'm about to start it!

Lou x

yes, i've tried Dan's regimen in the past and it never got me as clear as retinoids do, I have a lot of non-inflamed acne.

3 weeks later (tommorow is week 16)I feel like Retin-A is working much better and i'm starting to see the results I've been hoping for (although feeling anxious typing this because I don't want to jinx it lol). Maybe my skin is just more congested and it will take closer to 4/5 months for me to clear.

Yes I do think I have a young face, because I do get carded when my skin is clear as well. People always ask me where I go to highschool. I guess I will enjoy it in the future though :D

The Retin A gel is it? If so i used it, and made my skin dry, flake, itch, red and swell, possibly the worse thing i've used. 13 weeks is a long time for no improvement in my opinion, you should try BP for 2 weeks, works fast only problem is, the skin can become immune, my advice, use BP for 2 weeks have a break from it for 2 weeks then go back to it. But ofcourse ask your DT as they're the experts.

Good luck.

The Retin A gel is it? If so i used it, and made my skin dry, flake, itch, red and swell, possibly the worse thing i've used. 13 weeks is a long time for no improvement in my opinion, you should try BP for 2 weeks, works fast only problem is, the skin can become immune, my advice, use BP for 2 weeks have a break from it for 2 weeks then go back to it. But ofcourse ask your DT as they're the experts.

Good luck.

I do use BP. I have a perscription for Duac that I use every morning. Thanks for the advice though!

I LOVE retin a micro (it soaks up oil so well!) But I've been using it for a little less than 2 years and I still break out. But before my doxycycline stopped working I wash almost 100% clear not including the occasional random break out.

I LOVE retin a micro (it soaks up oil so well!) But I've been using it for a little less than 2 years and I still break out. But before my doxycycline stopped working I wash almost 100% clear not including the occasional random break out.

I was starting to really Like Retin-A micro too unfortunatley my insurance dropped it at the beginning of November :wall: Now i'm on generic tretinoin and not sure if I like it as much. Good thing I have another derm appointment coming up.

Tommorow marks 13 weeks for me on Retin-A micro (I started July 6th), yesterday I had the worst breakout i've had in a long time and am still breaking out frequently. Is 13 weeks too late in the game to be breaking out this bad? or should I wait longer for this to work? Luckily i'm going to the derm next week. I'm just so discouraged, i'm 26 and tired of my skin. I look like i'm 15 or 16. I still get carded.....at rated R movies! lol Has anyone still broken out at the 3 month mark but gone on to have great results? Thanks :D

So I am in the same boat as you. I just crossed the 3 month mark with really no improvement and lots of closed comedones. How did you make out with the retin a or did you switch to something else?