Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeadyB

Skin just keeps getting worse.....

Ok. So I've given this little back story about my acne so many times I hope this isn't too annoying but here it goes....

OK. Never had acne in high school, aside from maybe a tiny pimple a month. When I turned 20, I would get a few more each month and had to see a derm due to a skin healing issue (which I still have) and she immediatley said I have adult onset acne and prescribed me antibiotics and topicals and my acne got worse and worse. I quit the antibiotics (which made me sick) and the topicals I can't afford, and was put on OrthoCyclen generic Mononessa. Things we fine for a while, but then I got a cyst. Which I've never had in my life. And each month it got worse and worse,

So now I'm into my 2nd month of Ortho TRI-Cyclen generic Trinessa, (doc switched me to see if triphasics work better for me) and my skin is getting worse again. I'm so depressed. I know it takes more than one cycle to improve, but this is so upsetting I feel like crying all the time.

Please, did anyone take OTC and have their skin worsen and then miraculously get better?? Or is this the beginning of the end.....

Also, if it turns out OTC just itsn't helping, what else can you girls reccomend?

p.s. I think my acne is entirely hormonal because foods never gave me any issues and I could go days without washing my face without a breakout.

Honestly, I think if it is getting worse after about a month or so maybe it's not the right fit for you. I never took Ortho Tri Cyclin, so I can't comment on the specifics, try reading the review section on Ortho on this website, it may provide some encouragement. Also, I have heard some people say generic bc pills sometimes contain cheap additives that cause breakouts, ask your pharmacy for name brand and try that for a month.

Thanks for responding! But honestly, I can't afford the brand name. I just lost my health insurance and I'm already on a discount plan for the generic. I have read a few reviews, and most of them talk about long term use, and not an initial breakout.

Anyone have their acne get much much worse before it gets better on birth control?

And if it did not improve, what other brands would you all reccommend?

(I know everyone is different, and that what works for you may not work for me, but I like to hear all the options and hear about possible choices..)

Thanks for responding! But honestly, I can't afford the brand name. I just lost my health insurance and I'm already on a discount plan for the generic. I have read a few reviews, and most of them talk about long term use, and not an initial breakout.

Anyone have their acne get much much worse before it gets better on birth control?

And if it did not improve, what other brands would you all reccommend?

(I know everyone is different, and that what works for you may not work for me, but I like to hear all the options and hear about possible choices..)

Honestly, I know this is not what you are going to want to hear but I wish I would have NEVER gone on birth control to begin with. It might eventually help your skin while you are taking them (or maybe not, everyone is different) but if you ever decide to go off of them your face could explode into a fit of acne like you've never seen before. I know you said you can't afford name brands, but Yaz is the #1 recommended bc for acne by the dermatologists at the clinic I go to.

As for acne getting much worse before it gets better, I wouldn't be suprised. It takes a while for your body to adjust to the artificial hormones you are putting into it. I would give it at least 3 months and then see if this is something that works for you.

Thank you for the honesty. I hear Yaz has a generic now, so that may be a possibility if this doesnt pan out. I hope everything works out for you.

:)

Damn! I'm in the middle of my second month and my skin is at it's worst.

Sometimes I regret ever starting birth control..... Maybe I just haven't found the right one....

One month to go.... :(

Ok. So I've given this little back story about my acne so many times I hope this isn't too annoying but here it goes....

OK. Never had acne in high school, aside from maybe a tiny pimple a month. When I turned 20, I would get a few more each month and had to see a derm due to a skin healing issue (which I still have) and she immediatley said I have adult onset acne and prescribed me antibiotics and topicals and my acne got worse and worse. I quit the antibiotics (which made me sick) and the topicals I can't afford, and was put on OrthoCyclen generic Mononessa. Things we fine for a while, but then I got a cyst. Which I've never had in my life. And each month it got worse and worse,

So now I'm into my 2nd month of Ortho TRI-Cyclen generic Trinessa, (doc switched me to see if triphasics work better for me) and my skin is getting worse again. I'm so depressed. I know it takes more than one cycle to improve, but this is so upsetting I feel like crying all the time.

Please, did anyone take OTC and have their skin worsen and then miraculously get better?? Or is this the beginning of the end.....

Also, if it turns out OTC just itsn't helping, what else can you girls reccomend?

p.s. I think my acne is entirely hormonal because foods never gave me any issues and I could go days without washing my face without a breakout.

Hey, I feel your pain, but I am actually 27 and have had clear skin my whole life until about 4 months ago, and I am just disgusted!!! I am now on spironolactone, have you heard of it? If not, you might want to talk to your derm about it, and it is not spendy at all! It is used for hormonal acne and is supposed to lower the male hormone. I have been on it for about a month, so its still hard to tell if it's working, but I have heard quite a few success stories about it and was prompted to try it.

I totally caved and quit my birth control. It was just getting soooo bad. I have staph infections now from the horrible breakouts.

FML. This is probably the lowest point in my life. I wont leave the house and 70% of my face is covered in oozing boils.

I can say from personal experience that I had significantly less acne when I was on a monophasic BCP, when I switched to a multiphasic BCP b/c of non-dermatological issues I was having on the monophasic pill, I started breaking out again. The multiphasic pill I took was tri-sprintec, which I believe is also a generic version of Ortho-Tri-Cyclen.

You said the pill you were originally on was Ortho-Cyclen, is that also multiphasic? If you've never been on a completely monophasic BCP, you might want to ask your doc for one. I think the conventional wisdom is that multiphase pills are better for acne but that was not my experience and it sounds like it hasn't been yours either.

Another option for you that someone else mentioned is Spirolactone, I haven't been on it yet but am probably about to start it - I don't know what it costs w/o insurance but I have heard that it is super cheap.

Edited by MB15213

I totally caved and quit my birth control. It was just getting soooo bad. I have staph infections now from the horrible breakouts.

FML. This is probably the lowest point in my life. I wont leave the house and 70% of my face is covered in oozing boils.

I feel your pain! I'm currently avoiding public too because of all the huge cysts on my face (albeit, only 50% of my face!). Mine is all hormonal acne, started a year ago, never had it before. My doctor has me on accutane now, since nothing else has worked. Your condition sounds quite serious. I hope you are on antibiotics for your infection! Have they cultured it to know exactly which bacteria you are up against? Staph?! For sure? Let us know how you are doing. If for some reason your doctor didn't do a culture, ask for one, if it ends up being p. acnes bacteria instead, you might seriously consider getting back onto birthcontrol pills, try a different kind if need be. If you end up needing to take accutane, (at least here in the USA) they require women to use two forms a birth control. One of which has to be either Tubes tied, Partner's Vasectomy, Intrauterine device, or Hormonal (i.e. the pill, patch, shots, vaginal ring). My suggestion is even if you are not sure about accutane, get your paper work started, there is a month waiting period here in the USA!! Another thing, ask your doctor about professionally draining your boils or injecting them with steroids. I hope this resolves quickly for you! Hang in there!

Edited by Look'n-Up

I dont have health insurance anymore so I can't see a doctor. I know its staph, because thats why I initially saw a derm, and she said it was caused by acne. Which was true, but before all this I only had maybe one pimple a month. Now because of my derms harsh treatments I have full blown acne AND staph.

Wish I never took OTC

Wish I never saw a derm

Wish I never took antibiotics

All of these lead me to the worst acne of my life. And I can't go a day without sobbing.

My acne was light before this, so they probably wouldnt let me take accutane even if I had the money or insurance.

Hi. I'm glad you wrote back. You can see a doctor even though you don't have insurance. Most clinics will work out a payment plan. All that aside. What's more important than your pocket book right now is your health. If you are on antibiotics, stay on it!! It may seem like it's not helping, but it could be slowing the spread of it down. If you are not on antibiotics, go to a walk-in clinic, if possible, and ask for help. Walk-in clinics are a lot cheaper. They can even do a culture. You need to know for sure what kind of infection this is, antibiotics usually target a certain strain of bacteria. So, if they know which bacteria it is, they can get you the right antibiotic. If you get worse, go to the ER. They don't turn anyone away, even if they cannot pay. You have help available, don't suffer it alone. I know how embarrassed you feel about your face. It's not your fault. IT WILL GET BETTER, just get the right help you need. Wear a scarf if it helps you get to the doctor. Learn more about staph infections at a reliable website (it's not like "normal" acne). Let me know what happens, I'll be thinking of you.

I wanna take mircette or desogen if I ever start birth control. I'm going to a clinic at CVS today. Its about 70 dollars, but I can't take this anymore. I'm just really depressed about this. I personally dont think this is "normal acne". But my parents do, even though I have bleeding, peeling, and yellow crusts develop on the spots. I also have cysts now. Which I've never gotten. They look more like boils, in fact, I think thats what they really are. This seriously makes me want to just die. (Not gonna ;), I just feel that way)

Thanks for all the responses guys. I was on generic. But I think the whole brand is just not for me. I've taken the monophasic and tri phasic versions of this, and both gave me acne. My skin is soooooo bad now. I want to quit and have everything go back to the way it was, but I don't think thats an option. I think I messed up my hormones for good. I really do want to try another birth control (even though this experience has been the worst of my life)

My mom told me yesterday I should be fired and my boyfriend should dump me. Not very helpful since I'm already so down about myself. She's trying "tough love" to snap me out of this, but what I really needed was someone on my side. Someone who says "you're right, that looks worse than normal acne". I've had acne before. But never NEVER like this. And its spreading.....

I'm hoping if I start a new bc pill ASAP I can begin to heal.....

BTW. So I just stopped (not to be repettitive) and I got my period 2 days later!! Even though I stopped mid-cycle. Does that mean my hormones werent being controlled all along?

Ho-Hum. Seeing CVS clinic (cheapest) at 10:00 so I'm biding my time....

The worst part, is my mom is right, I am letting this control my life. But I can't help it. I dont look like me anymore. I feel so bad for my BF. I had perfect skin when we started dating. Now I look like a freak. (Not talking about acne, talking about infections)

Hi BeadyB. I hope your trip to CVS went well and that you found the right birth control for you. Try to see your situation more as a medical condition that you are treating, rather than an embarrassing face problem. I've been trying to do that for myself, especially when talking to others about it. For example, your boyfriend might be very understanding when you explain it that way and also sees how you are getting the help you need with it. Also, you are much more than your face to him. Yet, your face is going to heal :D ,(it might take some time though :cry: ). Be patient, that means no popping, because that can spread the infection. Let it heal and stay on the antibiotics. If they are very painful, try warm compresses. Then rinse with cold water to close up the pores. Ibuprofen can help with swelling too. Just a thought. Call your doctor and ask about other ways to assist the healing process.

I know how fast a person can go from great skin to nightmare. I'm in it too. My mom told me, "Well sweetie, at least you are not tied up in a hole somewhere." What the heck? :rolleyes: I admit it would be way worse, but GEES Mom!

Edited by Look'n-Up

Just got back from CVS, ok maybe not JUST, but anyhow

The poor girl basically thinks I'm breaking out, which caused staph

or

I got staph, which is also breaking me out....

either way I'm fucked. She basically told me that I need to see a real doctor and that she thinks something is seriously wrong with me.

Great...She also said I should not give up on birth control and try a new brand. But she is not allowed to prescribe another brand....so I'm suck again....

The general theories she put out

I have reoccurring staph, which also makes me breakout

I have acne caused by birth control, which lead to staph

I have an "allergic reaction" to birth control

I have some sort of viral disease/infection

or

Everything combined.

Fun fact (really not fun at all)

I've lost too much weight/unnatural look like a skeleton

I'm severely depressed

My face is covered in scabs and boils

I have low blood pressure and high cholesterol

I hate myself and my life because of this....

All the free clinics I called today were closed. DAMN WEEKENDS!

But my dad has a friend who is a derm, and its expensive, but my dad says at this point he'll pay because he's so worried about what this is doing to me.

Examples: Missing work, crying non stop, losing about 20 pounds. (which for me is really bad, cuz now I'm down to 98 and feel like a skeleton, so gross)

So yeah. I have to wait it out now...

So, I obviously did not do well with OTC. I was thinking of trying Mircette or one of its brands. I wonder if I'll ever get a prescription for it....

p.s. Is it just me or is it sooo annoying that one type of birth control has like billion different names?!? Makes it hard to track down stuff on it. LOL.

Hi BeadyB. I hope your trip to CVS went well and that you found the right birth control for you. Try to see your situation more as a medical condition that you are treating, rather than an embarrassing face problem. I've been trying to do that for myself, especially when talking to others about it. For example, your boyfriend might be very understanding when you explain it that way and also sees how you are getting the help you need with it. Also, you are much more than your face to him. Yet, your face is going to heal :D ,(it might take some time though :cry: ). Be patient, that means no popping, because that can spread the infection. Let it heal and stay on the antibiotics. If they are very painful, try warm compresses. Then rinse with cold water to close up the pores. Ibuprofen can help with swelling too. Just a thought. Call your doctor and ask about other ways to assist the healing process.

I know how fast a person can go from great skin to nightmare. I'm in it too. My mom told me, "Well sweetie, at least you are not tied up in a hole somewhere." What the heck? :rolleyes: I admit it would be way worse, but GEES Mom!

About that last bit,

'

my mom says "Better than a sharp stick in the eye"

Moms are so random sometimes.

Hey I'm a mom and let me say that I wish I was like those moms that just blow it off. I'm an absolute freak about my daughter's acne. I think it's because I had it. I swear I don't rest until she heals from a breakout and I don't stop until I find an answer. I sympathize so much with Beady because I was the same way. It consumed me then and consumes me now. Just don't give up and hang in there. Prednisone will bring the infections and swelling down. A short course of antibiotics might be helpful. I'm a big advocate of vi-peels. Two of those along with two or three genesis laser treatments cleared my daughter's skin quickly. She also takes Yaz and spiro and pretty much can't do without those...Good luck and please keep us posted. Yeah and generic Ortho-tri-cyclen was the devil. DD gave up after five months and decided accutane was the next thing to try because her skin got that bad. Yasmin is the best if you can handle it.

Thank you so much Boston50. My mom is actually the one who thinks I'm being dramatic and overreacting. She may be right, but this hurts me in a way I never knew possible. I'm glad you are supportive of your daughter, because thats what we need most. I wish my mom was sympathetic towards this, but tough love is more her thing.

I'm really glad your daughter also found something that works for her!

I am trying to self-diagnose (usually a bad idea) and I think the sudden spike of acne is due to high progesterine(totally spelled that wrong) is what causes my acne. I'm hoping a lower does such as Mircette or Desogen will help me out. If not, Yasmine is definatley my next and maybe last shot.

I'll never be prescribed Accutane, even my drama queen self over this knows my acne is not severe enough. Just destressing and detrimental to my self esteem and self worth.

I hope it's ok., but I'm praying for you. Please take care of yourself. Drink water and eat, even if you don't feel like it. Maybe your Dad's friend will take you in as an emergency appointment. It's worth asking. You will get the right help, and it will get better. It only takes one little sore, like a pimple, to get a serious staph infection. It could happen to anyone. Stay courageous!

And, as far as accutane. I don't think they prescribe it for staph infections.

Edited by Look'n-Up

Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment. The derm's office is for sure closed on weekends, so no luck there. And I work a full 9-5 on monday. (although I said I'd only work in the stock room so I won't have to deal with people)

I just don't know what to do anymore. Losing hope....

Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment. The derm's office is for sure closed on weekends, so no luck there. And I work a full 9-5 on monday. (although I said I'd only work in the stock room so I won't have to deal with people)

I just don't know what to do anymore. Losing hope....

The hardest thing is waiting when you feel like you need help now. I'm so sorry. Hang in there. When you feel like you are losing hope, look up o.k.? :pray: That's what I'm doing.

Is the low blood pressure and high cholesterol a recent development? Did it begin with your staph infection? If so, make sure to tell your doctor. You may just want to go to a walk-in clinic and not wait for the dermatologist to "fit you in". Let's hope the walk-in is open early, so you can go before work. You may need to do a strong dose of antibiotics to get this stuff to go away.

In the meantime, try to do something fun today to pass the time. :popcorn: Let us know how it goes.