Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was talking with a buddy and he was saying that some people have a genetic weakness to acne or obesity, etc. In the scenario of acne, the blood pushes oil into the skin, oils from hair, testosterone, etc which cause acne. In the event of it being built into the dna, is there anything you can do? From what is see of acne treatment, it isn't so much about dealing with acne but, the symptoms of acne being blemishes. Its clearly on a much deeper level & putting BP onto the skin, particularly, the face must have some serious long term issues later on in life.

What is the answer then? I eat clean. I workout, I don't over wash my face. I get a glimpse of clear skin for a bit then, I break out for whatever reason. I don't sit around eating chocolate or unhealthy snacks. I am cautious not to eat unhealthy food or things known to cause acne. A nasty pimple will come about & I remind myself it wont be there forever but, I get rid of it and then another one will come or a breakout. :(

I didn't want to try demoxcyl gel & the other one to go with it. At the same time, I have tried BP before. I think it helps a bit but, again, it doesn't cure acne. It removes symptoms. I want a complete cure. I don't want to take all these medications that are going to cause implications later at the same time, I am in my 20s. I shouldn't be battling acne still. I should have passed it up years ago. The thing that annoys me most of all is that, I am so healthy about my eating habbits & life style. I don't drink myself stupid or snort cocaine or heavy drugs. Guys & girls that I know that follow this behavior still indulge in these unhealthy habits with perfectly clear skin. I can't help but conclude this to be genetic.

What I can I do? WHat can we do? It makes me sick & upsets me thinking about it. I was using epsom salts for a bit and it helped as well as the lemon cleanse but, I just got a break out now & I took out the pro active today. I am honestly so frustrated to be quite honest.

What can I do? Also, I don't really use a moisturizer. I thought it would cause abreak out so, I was scared to use one but, I just used one recently. Thinking of purchasing some vitamin e or some sort of healthy moisturizer like emu oil or something alike but, I just want results guys. I am getting in touch with a dermatologist ASAP. I have had enough of this.

Basically yes, we are screwed, our genetic makeup means that our skin is much more prone to getting clogged pores due to a messed up skin renewal/shedding system, and that is most probably a genetic trait. Or perhaps it has something to do with our skin's sensitivity to androgens, or maybe it has something to do with a confused immune system that has a vendetta against clogged pores.

There are ways to control, be it with diet, lifestyle or drugs but long story short, our skin is genetically inferior lol.

Basically yes, we are screwed, our genetic makeup means that our skin is much more prone to getting clogged pores due to a messed up skin renewal/shedding system, and that is most probably a genetic trait. Or perhaps it has something to do with our skin's sensitivity to androgens, or maybe it has something to do with a confused immune system that has a vendetta against clogged pores.

There are ways to control, be it with diet, lifestyle or drugs but long story short, our skin is genetically inferior lol.

:(

I guess I shouldn't complain. It isn't the end of the world however, I am very much so into how I look and it sucks, I have no control over this one specific element. I am good looking guy. I am athletic. 6pac abs is not really a deal breaker. Adult acne is just not cool. I have tried fucking everything. I am trying to remain positive but, it sucks. I either take BP which will inevitably give me cancer or I don't and deal with breakouts. Currently, I got a bad one. Its cleaning up but, I get through this and something else starts. I have never in all my years have ever made a appointment with a dermatologist. I cannot wait any longer. I am in my early 20s and it is still present. I want clear skin but, they are going to provide me a great deal of unnecessary drugs to deal with symptoms of acne oppose to regulating my hormone levels. Not sure where everyone else stands but, my t levels are pretty high. I could imagine if I toughed steriods how my body would react. I never have but, it sucks. Worst of all, I can hide body acne which I would take over nasty facial pimples.

I am all about organics. I gave up dairy, things i love like yogurt, pizza, pastas, etc I don't eat sugary sweets like donuts, chips, snacks alike, etc. I have given up so much and it subsides at times at very best. I tried everything from:

organic cleanses

lemon cleanse

kettle

epsom salts

oxy

clearsil

pro active

I have held off on a new prescription which is expensive but, I am going to try it meanwhile, I get an appointment with a dermatologist. Its frustrating but, I am trying to be positive. I started reading some stuff on self help.

It just sucks. I am a good looking guy and I am very much so attached to how I look. I been reading some self help and its helping me gain a grip on myself but, it is tough. the world we live in glamorizes looks and star quality as well as social status. I am surprised when I watch movies to notice blemishes on these so called really good looking guys and girls.

Can anyone give some advise for me?

recommend pan oxyl? doxycycline and minocycline?

I used pro active and found it has helped but, its no cure. It helps. BP helps but, no cure. God, I wish I had awesome skin. Another concern with BP is that, I am willing to bet it ages you.

Edited by mrjarjarbinks77

Man oh man I feel your pain. I am 25 and still struggle with acne. I tried everything. I was a total health nut and eat nothing but organic and took the best supplements and yet acne. Even today it doesn't matter what I do. I have acne. Its like what do we do? Give up?

Man oh man I feel your pain. I am 25 and still struggle with acne. I tried everything. I was a total health nut and eat nothing but organic and took the best supplements and yet acne. Even today it doesn't matter what I do. I have acne. Its like what do we do? Give up?

I am reading a shit ton of self help from Tony Robbins to Eckhart Tolle. It is very bother some. I am so into how I look and it kills me when this happens. I don't want to whine and complain cause, my acne is moderate. During a break out, mild at best. Right now, I got a few pimples, one of which is horrible. it is one of those deep pimples. I've washed it. I did the lemon cleanse. I don't moisturize cause, I am scared it will cause something terrible or worsen my skin but, it is dry so, I am going to get some alo vera. I am taking vitamins for nutritional intake. I don't eat pizza, donuts, cookies, chocolate or anything with sugar in it. I've given up so much and yet, still my skin breaks out. Its hard to be my "best self" but, I keep breaking out and I've tried everything from lemon cleanse, kettle, proactive, oxy, etc.

I recently got in touch with a dermatologist. Its probably going to be 6months before I see someone and they are going to use me like a ginny pig. I want to speak with a natural path. I don't got a shit ton of money and I don't know anyone that is into chinese medicine. I would try that root as well. I have gone back and used a bit of proactive more recently. I don't want to damage my skin but, I don't want to look like a pizza. This blows. I don't want to use that prescription cause, i KNOW ANTIBIOTICS HAVE SIDE EFFECTS. At the same time, if clear skin will come from that, I will take it. If anyone has had success with natural or organics, please share.

I've gone on everything and spoke to my doctor. His first thing he does is okay, here is acupante or whatever the fuck its called. No recommendations in regards to supplements or vitamins or anything. Nothing in regards to regulating hormones or digestive enzymes or anything.

:(

I got a bit of anxiety problems. I've prayed for a cure for years. It sucks. God, I feel bad cause, I know some on here have it much worse or struggle with severe acne. I don't know what I would do. If it gets bad with even a mild break out or a bad pimple, I don't even want to go out nevermind date. I've flaked on so many girls over the years cause of bad skin or a pimple or breakout. The easy thing is to say, "screw someone if they don't like me" but the truth is that, acne is unattractive and even if it is genetic, it still isn't something guys or girls want.

This is a current list of supplements that I am using to help me with acne:

all in 1 or 3x a daily vitamin (i mix it up)

MSM

vitamin E

Fish Oil (Omega 3 supplement)

Vitamin D

Vitamin C

Vitamin A

green tea (drink, extract supplements, etc)

Zinc 50g w/5mg copper

tea tree oil

acidophilus capusules

flaxseed oil

alo vera

digestive enzymes

I don't want to use BP cause, I've been notified of the long term health problems that come of it. My goal is to regulate my hormones. If my skin breaks out, there must be a reason. Everyone says its the oils that are over produced from hormones. The doctors point the fingers at anti biotics or skin care creams like BP but, nobody really gets at the core of the problem. If anyone has helpful advise in balancing this, I would love to hear it. Not sure what else I can do. I am pretty frustrated but, I am trying to relaxing and remain calm. I know stress causes acne also.

The biggest piss off is that, I have given up so much over the years cause of this. I've stayed away from so many diff foods and its so frustrating to struggle with acne when people can drink, do cocaine, eat shit food with no side effects. I will eat salad, drink lots of water, cut out unhealthy foods and get a nasty pimple.

UGH

I'm only nineteen but have had moderate acne since I was fifteen and severe from when I was 17 to about 18 and a half. I now have constant moderate acne, the only thing that has almost cleared me up was fasting, but when I break the fast, my acne usually comes back within a two week period. My skin in constantly dry despite not using any topicals period. I used Dan's regimen for about 5 months, at the beginning I would have a break out one week, then be compleltey clear the next. That pattern repeated until month 5, then on the 5th month, my face just went bonkers, and I had severe acne until I turned nineteen, now its just moderate. I'm a sophomore in college and still a virgin, and haven't even had a girlfriend since I was 17, which was a time when I was the clearest since I started getting acne.

All I'm saying is maybe these things that we keep putting on our faces isn't good, because when I did have clear skin, I used absolutey nothing except water, but I also exercised up to 2 hours a day for soccer.

I'm only nineteen but have had moderate acne since I was fifteen and severe from when I was 17 to about 18 and a half. I now have constant moderate acne, the only thing that has almost cleared me up was fasting, but when I break the fast, my acne usually comes back within a two week period. My skin in constantly dry despite not using any topicals period. I used Dan's regimen for about 5 months, at the beginning I would have a break out one week, then be compleltey clear the next. That pattern repeated until month 5, then on the 5th month, my face just went bonkers, and I had severe acne until I turned nineteen, now its just moderate. I'm a sophomore in college and still a virgin, and haven't even had a girlfriend since I was 17, which was a time when I was the clearest since I started getting acne.

All I'm saying is maybe these things that we keep putting on our faces isn't good, because when I did have clear skin, I used absolutey nothing except water, but I also exercised up to 2 hours a day for soccer.

I want to use organic products. I got some aloe vera as for moisturizing but, I got acne around my eye brow, mostly black heads,tiny pimples, etc. I want to use BP but, I prefer to use fuck all cause I have no acne. It sucks to be suffering into my 20s. Cant use that around my eyes or mouth.

I missed out on dates. I flaked on girls all cause I wanted to bring my best self. Its so hard and mentally draining. Its very depressing. I've started reading some self help. I know this isnt my fault cause, I eat so well. I workout and I don't scrub but, I don't want to feel sorry for myself cause, some suffer from severe acne. I get the odd pustule or papule which blows cause, its huge or deep. I eat so clean. It sucks really bad. I prob would be on suicide watch if I had severe acne. Going to work in your 20s or college with a nasty pimple is horrible. Its just god awful. I much rather break a bone or get into a fight. At least have a victory scar or something. There is no good side to acne.

I got a ton of vitamin products. I am not eating junk food. I hope this stuff helps clear me up. I work out and live a healthy life style. I don't eat crap food which really saddens me cause, I do so much to be healthy yet, something isn't right.

I read some so called "cure" for acne. Basically, it said that "acne" is a message from the body. Something isn't right. I am missing something or doing something wrong. I am focusing on what I am eating. I also got some digestion pills cause I think it could be a digestion problem or likely a prostate problem that I have had. Also, I am hoping this clears it but, if it doesn't, I will look into a detox. I got prescribed demox and cyc anti biotics which I haven't taken cause, I don't know about the supplements I am using now. Also, the side effects have me concerned. I am getting in touch with a dermatologist. I can't handle this any more. I've missed out on a portion of my life cause of acne. Even that one papule or pustule is enough to push me from going out or having fun cause I am in a negative mood. Ironically enough, I am judging myself harder then anyone else is but, I am still unsatisfied with not being able to bring my best self. I am doing my best to NOT GIVE A FUCK.

I find girls/women are attracted to that way of being. I am still picking up girls regardless but, some times, i feel like I am not my best and it is a downer.

I don't get it, are you saying, that you only suffer from like 2 or 3 pimples? I have only like 5 or 6 at the moment, but that is literally the best it has been in the past year or so. I do have around thirty PIH marks and scars though. I found that running is by far the best thing for my acne, even if it doesn't completely clear me up. I know that one day my skin will be clear, and I will have a great body as well, thats why I do it. Running everyday and music are the ONLY things that keep me happy, and its also basically the only time I see girls around my campus checking me out. Probably because I'm hauling ass, LOL! I run 2 miles in about 11 minutes. EVERY DAMN DAY! Thats the motto I live by now. I know its hard man being older and still getting acne, but if your still picking up chicks, then what else are you afraid of. Stop caring about what other people think, life is too short for you to be putting your self down, If I were you I would just focus on the things that make you happy and things that you like.

honestly, while acne isn't very attractive a strong and wonderful fun filled personality can override how a person looks any day. i know its hard to stand by the [ im currently going thru a breakout myself] but one thing i know is that everyone has there flaws. you say you have bad skin, ok. but atleast from what i've read your body is on point. and thats a major plus. show off your assests. where tighter fitting clothing muscle shirts, fitted jeans whatever you can to makeup for your acne. i know its hard but one day you will meet someone who will love and probably wont even notice ur bad skin.

LOL

your case sounds very much like mine. Let me offer you some advice that has helped clear me up a great deal:

1) It's good that you're "eating clean". It's good to avoid dairy, sugar, and junk food in general. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you have to strictly adhere to it 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Constantly stressing out over maintaining a flawless diet is likely to cause more acne than eating a piece of cake at a birthday party, or having a few beers one night with some friends. It's okay to bend the rules for special occasions every once in a while. If you don't, then you're just LETTING acne control your life.

2) It's NOT good that you spend so much money on and put so much hope and emphasis on vitamin and mineral supplements. I used to take a laundry list of supplements every day while avoiding all dairy, wheat, sugar, etc, but never saw any improvement in my acne. That is, until I realized (and i can't emphasize this enough) that SUPPLEMENTS ARE NO SUBSTITUTION FOR NUTRIENT-DENSE VEGETABLES. Especially leafy greens. Eat them with extra-virgin olive oil. Once I stopped taking 30 capsules and tablets every day and started eating A LOT of vegetables instead (kale, broccoli, spinach, red/yellow peppers, carrots, dandelion greens, collards, etc), I found that I could eat just about anything else I wanted, in reasonable quantity of course, and my skin would still look fine. Of the supplements you listed, only fish oil and vitamin D might be worth keeping.

3) Don't let your desire to use "organic" and "natural" products (or any topical products, for that matter) cloud your judgement. I went thru a phase last year where I thought that organic aloe vera was the greatest thing ever, and put it on my skin several times a day. I was so enthusiastic to read people's accounts of how a natural product worked better for them than the chemicals churned out by the evil cosmetic and pharmaceutical companies. It sounded so alternative and desirable that I continued to use it for months, despite the fact that it was contributing to my acne all along. Once I stopped using it, my acne improved by about 50%. As it stands today, I wash either with just water or a gentle soap (the orange neutrogena bar, no active ingredients) and moisturize with nothing but vegetable glycerine and water.

Don't get me wrong. I still get a few pimples here and there. However, since I started eating vegetables with every meal and stopped worrying so much about NOT eating ANYTHING that MIGHT cause me to break out, I have noticed that the pimples themselves are so tiny and non-inflamed that you have to be less than 6 inches away from my face to even notice them.

As far as acne being genetic, that may be at least partly true, and people such as us may never have completely clear skin, but does that make us SCREWED? Think about all the HUNDREDS of MILLIONS (if not billions) of people worldwide who are currently suffering every minute of every day from things like poverty, starvation, disease, natural disasters, war, political/religious persecution, etc. Think about how quickly any of them would trade lives with a comfortable college student in the developed world with a case of moderate acne. Think about how spoiled and selfish it would seem to them that anyone with such a comfortable life would hate it so much.

Sorry if i sound rude. Like you, I am a male college student in his twenties who cares too much about his own appearance. I too walk past thousands of people on campus every day with perfect skin and get filled with envy. But when I look at the big picture, and put acne into context, I realize that IT'S NOT THAT BIG A FUCKIN' DEAL :ninja: