Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brenmc

spiro without bc pill?

Hi, I had severe acne so I started taking diane 35 to clear it, I was mostly clear but still got a few painful nodules each month so my doctor prescribed spiro, and now I'm 100% clear and it's great. But I have to go off diane eventually and I'm really afraid because of the bad rebound effect of acne returning worse than pre-treatment. Anyone use this combo,quit one, or have spiro work well without bc pills? PLEASE SHARE!

I had to quit Yaz almost 19 weeks ago because my estrogen had gotten to a dangerously low level. My skin was fine for the first two months and then started to breakout. My dermatologist prescribed me retin a micro and my skin hasn't gotten too bad (the initial break out sucked but it's clearing up now). Unfortunately, I now have mild acne on my chest and back where I have never had acne before. I guess it's a common side effect. I'm just waiting for my hormones to go back to normal and hoping that this annoying side effect goes away soon. I was on th epill for 4 years so it might take a while for my body to get back into the swing of things.

Also, I went through a bad episode of depression and irritability and had to start seeing a therapist. I guess that's another common side effect.

Thanks for the reply! Birth control seems like more trouble than it's worth sometimes. Anyone else, who took Diane have a comment? :)

Anyone start with spiro and bc then quit the bc while staying on spiro and avoid the massive breakout attributed to coming off bc?

Lol? It means laugh out loud. Funny quote on your profile.

Anybody have an answer to my question tho?

Hey brenmc,

I have read quite a few reviews on spironolatone and bc pill, and a few girls weaning themselves off of bc pills gradually, and their skin remained fine. So dont worry about that, you might have a tiny breakout, but hopefully your skin will adjust. This is what I have been reading. bc pills suck.

Thanks for the reply! Birth control seems like more trouble than it's worth sometimes. Anyone else, who took Diane have a comment? :)

I was on Diane for almost seven years before stopping but I didn't even know about Spiro back then. When I stopped the Diane, the acne did come back unfortunately. :( I'm on Spiro now and for the most part, it has been keeping my acne at bay but someday I hope to go back onto Diane again but I'll be staying on the Spiro too.

If your acne is caused by hormonal imbalances, the acne will most likely come back since hormonal imbalances more often then not, don't correct themselves. For example, if you have PCOS and your acne is caused by increased androgens and not elevated insulin then your acne will come back when you stop taking androgen blockers.

Since both Diane and Spiro contain androgen blockers, you may not have that really bad breakout when you stop the Diane.

Edited by CalypsoStorm

Hey, I was just wondering after reading your reply. I dont have PCOS but lately I was getting painful chin acne before my period. I dont think I had any hormonal issues specially since my periods have always been very regular, and I ovulate too. However, after suddenly changing my diet and losing a lot of weight, I started getting acne on my chin. I used to get it before but very little. I am underweight. 5 feet and 8, and I am only 112. eek I used to be 140 lbs 6 months ago.

I have heard that if you dont have enough body fat, then your estrogen level drops too at times and thats what my doctor believed happened to me (he has asked me to gain weight to correct that problem) So having less estrogen can possibly make you more sensitive to testosterone. Has anyone ever had that problem? I've also heard that suddenly losing weight can mess your hormones up too.

Also, I believe and I have read that its absolutely possible to correct your hormonal balance by exercising and good diet. Also, by making your life as stress free as possible.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Asar, do you have any more info about the reviews you read regarding weaning off bc while staying on spiro?

I have been on Spiro for a week now but let me first tell a bit of my story.

I am turning 40 in February. I have had moderate to severe acne since I was 14/15. During the times I had my kids and was breastfeeding my skin was OK but never clear.

I am writing on this thread because I am getting my tubes tied in January and will be coming off birth control forever! The thing is birth control has never been for acne. I have been on several that state they are for acne and no results.

However, I am concerned when I go off B/C in January even though I am on Spiro I am going to break out really bad. I have not even given Spiro a chance to work but I am still so worried that everything is going to be worse.

I hate the way I look. Acne and wrinkles at the same time is so unfair. Spiro is my last option (before Accutane) as I believe I have tried everything over the years.

Anyway, I am discouraged.

I do have some questions.

How long does it take for Spiro start working?

Does Spiro make acne worse before it gets better?

Did anyone else lose weight and if so how much?

Thanks for reading.

yup_yup :xmas:

I don't take birth control currently, and spiro has worked wonders for me. I've been on it for a year and a few weeks thus far, and my skin has improved drastically. I said goodbye to the days of waking up to multiple cysts every morning, clogged pores flooding my face, and small pimples randomly splattered throughout my face. I cannot say enough positive things about spiro. My skin has changed to a beautiful level, although it is not always perfectly clear (like now..). I was thinking about going on BC in a vain attempt to make it perfectly clear all of the time, but so far, the small pimples I've been getting isn't enough for me to take an exam for birth control, haha. I hope you stick with spiro, because it's really been a marvel for me. I have a blog here detailing my journey with spiro through this past year, if it'd help you in any way. Good luck!

I don't take birth control currently, and spiro has worked wonders for me. I've been on it for a year and a few weeks thus far, and my skin has improved drastically. I said goodbye to the days of waking up to multiple cysts every morning, clogged pores flooding my face, and small pimples randomly splattered throughout my face. I cannot say enough positive things about spiro. My skin has changed to a beautiful level, although it is not always perfectly clear (like now..). I was thinking about going on BC in a vain attempt to make it perfectly clear all of the time, but so far, the small pimples I've been getting isn't enough for me to take an exam for birth control, haha. I hope you stick with spiro, because it's really been a marvel for me. I have a blog here detailing my journey with spiro through this past year, if it'd help you in any way. Good luck!

Hey, I as well think that spiro is working wonders with my acne, but unfortunately I have started to lose a lot of hair??!!! Did you experience any hair thinning with spiro? I have read that a lot of people are starting to have the same issue.

I'm not sure. My hair does feel thin, and it does fall out a lot, but it may have been this way before the spiro. I didn't pay much attention, being so focused on my skin. But if so, it's not enough of a con to get me to stop. The clear skin is the absolute best, and having a bit thinner hair is a price I'm willing to pay.

Hi jen, so does spiro keep cysts away and now u just have a few regular pimples? Can I ask, did u have inflamed cysts before spiro, that's what I had. Now I'm just thinking of going off bc and hoping spiro keeps the bad cysts away cuz I can manage a few regular pimples.

Yes, Spiro has kept the cysts completely away after about three months of use. I had terrible cystic acne before Spiro, at least three or four of them at any given time, generally all on my chin area and maybe one on my cheek. Right now, I just have a small pimple on my chin and a few blackheads on my forehead and one by my nose. It has improved ten-fold from how it was previously.