Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Liquid_Ocelot

Does anyone else have really great skin after going on holiday?

Does anyone else have a short period of time where your skin is absolutely amazing after coming back from a hot country? If so, have you found out a way to replicate the positive effects of prolonged sun exposure? I'm thinking LED lights could be the answer but i'm not sure which wavelengths to try out.

Edited by Liquid_Ocelot

Yep, I get exactly the same effect, and replicate it with a 405-420nm blue & 655-665nm red lamp 15 minutes every morning. Bonus - you don't prematurely age/get cancer from all the UV. See the pinned FAQ at the top of the board for links and more discussion "Pinned: Blue/red light faq".

Does anyone else have a short period of time where your skin is absolutely amazing after coming back from a hot country? If so, have you found out a way to replicate the positive effects of prolonged sun exposure? I'm thinking LED lights could be the answer but i'm not sure which wavelengths to try out.

Are you sure it wasn't the sea water?

Yep, I get exactly the same effect, and replicate it with a 405-420nm blue & 655-665nm red lamp 15 minutes every morning. Bonus - you don't prematurely age/get cancer from all the UV. See the pinned FAQ at the top of the board for links and more discussion "Pinned: Blue/red light faq".

Which light do you use? As in which brand?

Re: seawater - I've got the effect when swimming in lakes or when I haven't gone in the ocean at all. Sunlight does kill bacteria, but it's long term bad for your skin. I heard seawater helps too but I can't attest to that personally.

I use the two headed red/blue acnelamp brand lamp. They are expensive, there may be a cheaper option now (mine is a couple years old), I don't know.

I know this one works, and it seems really really powerful (you can faintly see the bones inside your finger if you hold your hand right up! - be sure to use the eye protection). I use it 15 minutes a day in the morning (time passes quicker when I'm slightly groggy) around 10 cm away from my face, focusing one head on my chin, and the other on my nose (my main problem areas).

Although, I do use retin-A and benzoyl peroxide as well, these creams make you more sensitive to sunlight, so it stands to reason they MIGHT change the effectiveness of a blue/red lamp. I need all three to be fully clear. The acne lamp definitely makes a difference because if I stop it while on my other meds I still break out badly, also it really takes the redness out of my skin. The acnelamp alone doesn't cut it for 100% clear skin however, but my acne was really bad.

Edited by zabby39103

Re: seawater - I've got the effect when swimming in lakes or when I haven't gone in the ocean at all. Sunlight does kill bacteria, but it's long term bad for your skin. I heard seawater helps too but I can't attest to that personally.

I use the two headed red/blue acnelamp brand lamp. They are expensive, there may be a cheaper option now (mine is a couple years old), I don't know.

I know this one works, and it seems really really powerful (you can faintly see the bones inside your finger if you hold your hand right up! - be sure to use the eye protection). I use it 15 minutes a day in the morning (time passes quicker when I'm slightly groggy) around 10 cm away from my face, focusing one head on my chin, and the other on my nose (my main problem areas).

Although, I do use retin-A and benzoyl peroxide as well, these creams make you more sensitive to sunlight, so it stands to reason they MIGHT change the effectiveness of a blue/red lamp. I need all three to be fully clear. The acne lamp definitely makes a difference because if I stop it while on my other meds I still break out badly, also it really takes the redness out of my skin. The acnelamp alone doesn't cut it for 100% clear skin however, but my acne was really bad.

If the lamp only covers part of your face, do you break out in the other areas? And how does it work if you're using one colour on your chin and the other on your nose? Don't both lights have to be used in the same area to see an effect?