Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr President

Female derms seem better than male ones

Hey all,

I've noticed a lot of male dematologists, plastic surgeons and even GPs dont seem to understand how important my skin is to me and how i want my scars improved. Many cant even see the scars im taking about and because of this arent probably going to be too into fixing them to any great degree. It seems the same when i read the posts most doctors write on the net and the disinterested tone they seem to be sending out.

I went to see my first female derm a few months back and she saw all the scars i was talking about and seemed to understand how important it was to me - to get them fixed. i instantly fell in love with her for this reason and am so excited about seeing her...ill even bring her a box of chocolates...

Its led me to think, perhaps women are better for these sorts of procedures, because many can understand how important looks are - at least more so than men. At least all the women in my own life seem to see the importance of looks.

I might just aim to see women from now on.

Anyhoo, im keen to hear your input :)

PS. make that young attractive women....the older female GPs ive met dont seem to care about loooks..... people who value their own looks seem to value it more in others..hence will do a better job :)

Edited by cartwheeling_monkey

Yeah my new derm is female and she has some mild acne scarring too. Just makes me feel better and she understands what its like to deal with scarring

Yeah my new derm is female and she has some mild acne scarring too. Just makes me feel better and she understands what its like to deal with scarring

I don't see how you can have any confidence in a derm with acne scarring for obvious reasons.

I don't see how you can have any confidence in a derm with acne scarring for obvious reasons.

everyone is not the same. i bet she would have more empathy for him than a derm who didnt have a history of acne/scarring. i think she would be more motivated to look for options that would remove the scars than a person who didnt have any.

yeah my first derm is female too.

I first saw her on internet, her skin looked perfect to me. When I met her in person, my faith in her was partly gone because her skin looked very average so as the other nurses in the clinic, yet she claimed to have many treatments done every several months. Well then I thought Dr could have bad skin too. It turned out she was also a money-hungry dr too who recommended me to have derma-rollering and I got icepick scars and scarred pores mainly.

everyone is not the same. i bet she would have more empathy for him than a derm who didnt have a history of acne/scarring. i think she would be more motivated to look for options that would remove the scars than a person who didnt have any.

I'm not talking about sympathy or how genuine she is, I was referring to her ability. The fact that she hasn't got rid of her own scarring would make me question what she's capable of.

liquid - lol i completely agree with you about being worried if you derm has scarring too. it means they dont feel too strongly about removing them or havent found anything worthwhile enough yet to do so - both are quite bad.

the derm im going to get my treatments through does a lot of laser treatments on herself. i noticed pics of her coming up when she was showing me what she could do with a laser. she also has plumped up lips, which is good given she does temporary fillers too.

lameleah - im so sorry to hear about your derm. even if she was great, truth is dermarolling just isnt. if your scars really are ice picks and open pores, you are probably better off doing a few tca crosses :) you sound like you deserve great results given what you have been through!

dykim - its hard to tell who has had acne scars if they have improved them lol.

liquid - lol i completely agree with you about being worried if you derm has scarring too. it means they dont feel too strongly about removing them or havent found anything worthwhile enough yet to do so - both are quite bad.

the derm im going to get my treatments through does a lot of laser treatments on herself. i noticed pics of her coming up when she was showing me what she could do with a laser. she also has plumped up lips, which is good given she does temporary fillers too.

lameleah - im so sorry to hear about your derm. even if she was great, truth is dermarolling just isnt. if your scars really are ice picks and open pores, you are probably better off doing a few tca crosses :) you sound like you deserve great results given what you have been through!

dykim - its hard to tell who has had acne scars if they have improved them lol.

true. but i doubt there are not many people out there anyway who has improved their scar so dramatically that they cannot be noticeable. there are a few people but not a lot because if there were then you and i would have lessened the appearance of our scars as well.

Yes I agree. My first 5 doctors/derms were all male and then my next few consultations and then treatments were with women doctors. The difference was huge. I must say one male doc was very sympathetic but the other 4 were very negative in their approach and pretty much were acting like they didn't give a shit about my skin and to just listen to them without asking any questions and any thing I said was useless and without merit because I didn't go to uni and study medicine or what ever.

buddy franklin - did you ever go to the victorian cosmetic institute? they look incredibly up to date. i know if i was in melb id be going there, thats for sure. i still might, if my scars havent improved enough by the time i move down there.

the natasha mosquato lady who does the tca cross there seems to look after herself (she is quite stunning) and her patients. although i havent met her, she seems like the kind of women we would want treating our scars.

havent been there mate. I think I'm going in for one last fraxel treatment and that's my laser treatments done and then I'm going to find some places in Sydney. Might do one more VBeam and def going to look into TCA CROSS and even excision.

Guest Timehealsall

i agree on this. The current derm i am going to (i honestly dont really know how to find a top notch dermatologist, would i have to ask around or do it through google, which still seems difficult enough) does not really see my scars. Everytime i show him, he just says, you have shallow superficial scarring, and we have to wait and see how your acne clears up before making decisions on treatments.

i agree on this. The current derm i am going to (i honestly dont really know how to find a top notch dermatologist, would i have to ask around or do it through google, which still seems difficult enough) does not really see my scars. Everytime i show him, he just says, you have shallow superficial scarring, and we have to wait and see how your acne clears up before making decisions on treatments.

ewww. yeah buddy i feel for you. my current derm is a nutter too. i kept asking him if there was anything i could do to stop my scarring whilst accutane and he had no answers. when i asked what i could do for my scars, he said excision - which is a little extreme and expensive. i saw a top burns surgeon here in australia and he said he wouldnt touch my face (he said my scars were extremely superficial and had a fear of making it worse); then i saw this lovely female derm and she understood exactly what i was talking about....each to their own i guess :)

no offense but this post seems like bs. Maybe your specific experiences have brought this conclusion, but that doesn't mean anything as a whole.

Also, just because someone seems more sympathetic in tone (something some men, obviously lack) doesn't measure actual ability to perform procedures mandated by the board of dermatology.

Not trying to sound like a dick, just don't want people thinking they have to see a female derm. Even the opposite actually, I've heard in certain clinics a lot of females are the ones that are selling certain laser procedures... using these sympathetic tactics and guaranteeing grand results... clearly not managing expectations of clients.

no offense but this post seems like bs. Maybe your specific experiences have brought this conclusion, but that doesn't mean anything as a whole.

Also, just because someone seems more sympathetic in tone (something some men, obviously lack) doesn't measure actual ability to perform procedures mandated by the board of dermatology.

Not trying to sound like a dick, just don't want people thinking they have to see a female derm. Even the opposite actually, I've heard in certain clinics a lot of females are the ones that are selling certain laser procedures... using these sympathetic tactics and guaranteeing grand results... clearly not managing expectations of clients.

Yeah, this is a pretty unfair conclusion. I too had a much better exp with a female derm who really listened to me and was willing to talk through natural remedies when the male derm i went to almost laughed at me when i brought them up.

However, my experience with other female practitioners has been pretty negative. Female GPs and GYNs have constantly been trying to shove birth control down my throat, even before i was sexually active and before i had acne. And even after telling them my concerns about how it made my mom and aunt crazy. I finally caved, and as i expected acted like a crazy person for 3 mths before stopping.

Experience will always vary from person to person, and women also have that 'motherly disposition' where they obviously want to help the person in their office depressed about their looks, but this doesnt make them better docs.

I like my younger female derm. She is so nice. I love her. The man is sympathetic, but he's not very caring. The older female is very clinical too. I think sometimes younger women in medicine just care more.

Men, by nature, are just not very empathetic, generally. In any field.

yea naturally men and women will act different and treat differently...

I'd prefer a dermatologist to be caring and understanding yet firm and intuitive...

For example... my new dermatologist that I went to.... after we discussed some things that I was comfortable/uncomfortable with and what kind of procedures with minimal risks I was interested in...

He went ahead and said... "Are you happy so far with what you have gotten (I did a couple things in the past)" And I said well... I think I've had some positive and some negatives happen to me... If I can improve this and improve that to this point I would be happier yes, as it stands now I am not 'happy' and then he managed my expectations.

Other dermatologists never asked me that.

put it this way, the young female derm i saw could see all the scars i wanted to fix and was more than willing to do the treatments i asked of her. she listened to everything and even went on the net with me to find all the papers i was quoting. i felt she was in no rush. she made me feel special and well read and was able to show me pics. she loved the org and is always looking for innovative ways to fix scars.

all the older women and men i saw seemed old and stuffy. they make it seem like i have a mental disorder for wanting to improve my skin. they always tell me to shut up, show me their certificates and push laser treatments or peels down my throat, which i quite frankly know will do nothing. they say my scarring isnt bad and simply because of this, seem to refuse to do anything too worthwhile.

look i dont hate men :P i love men....but all the ones ive seen dont instill a sense of trust me. its really changed me. men just seem to accept more (physically than women) and when im wanting treatments done, i want someone to be overly niggly, like me to see everything, if not more and then to fix it. ah they just lack passion.

Edited by gimme gimme gimme

gimme gimme gimme: "They always tell me to shut up, show me their certificates and push laser treatments or peels down my throat, which i quite frankly know will do nothing."

------------------------------

No laser or peels. What method are you trying to use/seek for treatment?