Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey all,

My acne is starting up it's horrendous winter cycle again, unfortunately (for background info, please see my older topics); but the question now I have is:

Has anyone observed/logged any correlation with cardio workouts and acne?

I have noticed a very slight improvement on the mornings after the days I ride my bike to school (I usually drive to school). I usually ride my bike the fastest I possibly can and am usually breathing heavily by the end of my 15-20 minute ride to school; I am not sure if there is a strong correlation between the slight improvement and my bike rides, but if there is, I think it may be due to the cardio-workout-nature of these rides.

I am riding tomorrow (Monday) and will update Tuesday.

Meanwhile if there has been any previous studies/observation on the possible link between cardio workouts and acne reduction, if it's not too much trouble, please kindly post them.

What I want to know is: 1) if there is a correlation between the two and 2) if there is a correlation, the mechanism of it.

Thanks a lot!

CM

Ive been running everyday and doing weights and have just started learning to swim and well since running everyday (from about march) my keratosis pilaris on my legs seems to be improving no end and the pimples on my back are clearing (I only get mild bacne) but yeah it all seems good :0

Got the odd pimple on my face atm but i get that from time to time.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

If it's good for your body, it's good for you skin. Not opinion. just science. If you sweat profusely on your face, it might make you break out, and if you're working too hard, you might also break out.

Tuesday update: no significant improvement.

@hanwombat and CelloIsLove: ty for replying :P

@Ashley: I might have to agree; I don't think there is a real connection either.

I will continue as is for now and update every week; and maybe take it a bit easier.

CM

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

I run about 5-6 miles every day and i've never really noticed a correlation, although at times I think it might aggrevate it. However, I love running and could never give it up either way.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Hey there! I work out every day... and I sweat profusely. I do an hr of carido and usually 30 minutes of weight training (that I alternate every day, arms 2x a week, legs 2x a week, back and chest 1x a week). I think that working out helps your body function properly... it helps with digestion, cell turn over etc.... all things that play a role with acne and skin. If you're feeling good on the inside it will show on the outside. IT definitely has helped ME with my skin. But that's just me. I think I've always had a problem with cell turn over and digestion and never realized the correlation between the two until about a 1 yr in half ago.

Although, I will say. Since I'm on taz and acanya gel (both are very drying) that when I work out even if I'm dripping in sweat.... I never use a rag to draw sweat from my face. I think it does irritate my skin. If I don't wipe my sweat... it doesn't clog my pores because I'm constantly sweating throughout my entire workout. Theory is that the sweat will just keep falling and pushing junk out of the pores on its own. hahha. I don't know. THis is what works for me! hehehe

Do you use a rag to pat away sweat? That could cause irritation, especially if you press somewhat hard. Otherwise, I doubt it does too much to your acne unless you are literally struggling for air while you run.

I love exercise. Although I love it even more now that I'm taking it easier instead of causing myself to be unable to breathe well! I've lost a few more pounds in the last week or so by simply working out at a leisurely pace and walking home from the gym (30+ minute walk). I'd gladly live with a few breakouts if it meant exercising regularly. I would never be able to run though, my ankles and knee are too weak for that.

Nope I don't use I rag, I only sweat really bad in the summer and then I just take a shower right after. I'm also not struggling for air, so I agree that my acne would probably be the same if I wasn't a runner. And your right even if It does/did cause breakouts, I love running and the way I feel overall healthier. It's the one thing I would not give up for clear skin :D

dont give up :) besides its good for the body in general to exercise.

take up swimming? i love going in the steam room and sweat out all those toxins - i fee lgreat afterwards :)

Wow, reading this is so upsetting, how are people gonna say that exercising won't play a part in getting rid of acne, that is just ignorance. I have tried exercising to clear my acne on two different occasions. The first while I was using topicals. The only thing is did was even my skin tone from very red to slightly red, I DID NOT clear my skin. The second time was after I quit topicals. Basically this is what I'm doing right now, I run 3 miles everyday, and my acne IS clearing up. I know people are saying that exercising didn't clear their acne up, but were you doing "real" cardio, and how long were you doing it? Another thing is that you have to do it every single day if you want to see results, you can't just do it one day then not the next, you have to make a commitment and stick with it.

I say pedal the hell out of that bike for like two weeks everyday, then decide for yourself.

I do cardio 4 times a week and if anything it aggravates my acne as i sweat heavily for an hour and a half before washing it off.

Also i like to swim but apparently chlorine isnt good for acne either.

I do cardio 4 times a week

Case and point, 4 =\ 7, of course you skin will look worse after you exercise but then like two hours later, it will look better. Sweat WILL aggravate your skin if you are using topicals.

Yes! I thought I was the only one. Everytime I exercised in general (not necessarily cardio) my skin tone/acne seemed to clear up a bit more. At first I thought it was the acne regimen I was using at the time but it turned out that once I stopped exercising my acne started to come back (probably from the bad reaction to the old regimen.)

Do you think maybe that cardio reduces stress, which may be partially causing your acne to begin with? If you have stress related acne, you may not break out as much if you engage in activities (like exercise) that reduce stress. :D

Wow, reading this is so upsetting, how are people gonna say that exercising won't play a part in getting rid of acne, that is just ignorance. I have tried exercising to clear my acne on two different occasions. The first while I was using topicals. The only thing is did was even my skin tone from very red to slightly red, I DID NOT clear my skin. The second time was after I quit topicals. Basically this is what I'm doing right now, I run 3 miles everyday, and my acne IS clearing up. I know people are saying that exercising didn't clear their acne up, but were you doing "real" cardio, and how long were you doing it? Another thing is that you have to do it every single day if you want to see results, you can't just do it one day then not the next, you have to make a commitment and stick with it.

I say pedal the hell out of that bike for like two weeks everyday, then decide for yourself.

I run approx. 5-7 miles every day, sometimes taking a day off to cross train and don't really feel it helps or hinders my skin. It does help me reduce stress and feel generally healthier though.

I do cardio 4 times a week

Case and point, 4 =\ 7, of course you skin will look worse after you exercise but then like two hours later, it will look better. Sweat WILL aggravate your skin if you are using topicals.

Hey it doesnt look worse after I exercise, its more the next day I sometimes notice more lumps & bumbs, like on my chest. But its so insignificant compared to the benefits of exercise that i wont let that put me off. I dont think there is any positive correlation between sweating and skin improvement, other than increase blood circulation. But my skin certainly hasnt improved acne-wise as a result of exercise!

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

I run approx. 5-7 miles every day, sometimes taking a day off to cross train and don't really feel it helps or hinders my skin. It does help me reduce stress and feel generally healthier though.

Are you using topicals?

Are you using topicals?

yup, I use duac and retin-a micro

update for this week: My acne has gotten worse over the course of the week, but I do not think that it is due to my bike riding. I'm beginning to feel more confident that my bike riding neither helps nor hinders my acne. That said, I will still bike to school until snow falls simply because it is probably good for my over all health.