Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Liquid_Ocelot

Why does my skin become really clear after a holiday?

I've never understood why, but whenever I come back from a holiday (always a hot country) there's always a period of like 7 days where my skin looks absolutely fantasic, virtually no spots at all. Why is this? I'm thinking maybe it's the sun? Maybe there's a way to replicate the effects.

Most definitely the sun.

Don't you just love the sun? :)

Is there any way I can replicate the positive effects of the sun on my skin? I'm thinking of trying out tanning beds, maybe that's why some people are addicted to them? Not because they want to be ridiculously tanned but because it keeps their skin clear? Who knows. I'm also going to try out LED therapy.

do you like in a cold country?i live in a hot country and trust me,i get lots more sun than necessary.HAHA

but when i travel to a cold country,my skin in absolutely AMAZING for at least a week.so i guess the change of climate makes your skin kinda....happy? i dont know,haha just a theory.

do you like in a cold country?i live in a hot country and trust me,i get lots more sun than necessary.HAHA

but when i travel to a cold country,my skin in absolutely AMAZING for at least a week.so i guess the change of climate makes your skin kinda....happy? i dont know,haha just a theory.

I live in a cold country (UK), the change in climate is definitely neccessary as my skin is never clear during the holiday, it's only when I come back that there's this dramatic change. So yeah, I think your theory is spot on.

I wish I could just walk into this specially made room that could replicate the climate of a hot country for a few hours every day and then walk out with perfect skin lol.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

I live in a cold country (UK), the change in climate is definitely neccessary as my skin is never clear during the holiday, it's only when I come back that there's this dramatic change. So yeah, I think your theory is spot on.

I wish I could just walk into this specially made room that could replicate the climate of a hot country for a few hours every day and then walk out with perfect skin lol.

Would a sauna be a good substitute for a hot climate if that climate is also humid? It could be a change in humidity affecting your skin as well. Either your area is less humid or more humid than where you vacation.

Hmm that's interesting. I think there's a sauna in my gym so I may try that out. But isn't everyone naked in a sauna? I don't think i'd be comfortable with that.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

I'm pretty sure that for hygienic reasons you'd be told to wear a bathing suit, or at the very least a towel lol.

I just searched 'sauna' on google images and I may just go for the women now. jk

I've done a little research and it seems that going to a sauna does work for people with a certain type of skin e.g me and some others in this thread. Fingers crossed, this could be the answer to my prayers. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Could be the vitamin D. Vitamin D acts as a hormone in the body which can have an effect on your acne. I've recently started supplementing with Vitamin D3 (following the 1000 IU per 25lbs rule) for a few days now. Nothing's changed but I know for a fact I am INSANELY low in vitamin D so I need this.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

You're welcome! Hope it works well for you :)

Another thought... Have you considered just upping the humidity in your house, or using a humidifier (warm mist) in your bedroom? The added humidity could help even if the heat isn't elevated.

Sounds logical, but I doubt that would work. I need something a little more extreme. Have you ever been to a sauna btw? There seems to be two types, steam saunas and infrared saunas. Not sure which one to try.

Could be the vitamin D. Vitamin D acts as a hormone in the body which can have an effect on your acne. I've recently started supplementing with Vitamin D3 (following the 1000 IU per 25lbs rule) for a few days now. Nothing's changed but I know for a fact I am INSANELY low in vitamin D so I need this.

Have you gotten blood tests to confirm this? If not, then there is no way you could know you are lacking the vitamin. I mean, even though the sun doesn't shine on a regular basis in Canada, going outisde even during the fall and winter when it's cloudy allows you to get some sun exposure - it's just not as intense - so you'd still be getting some vitamin D.

It's funny 'cos I recently requested a blood test for this reason specifically. My mum has a vitamin D deficiency and she thinks I probably have it too. I don't think it's a cause of acne/spots though. We'll see.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Have you gotten blood tests to confirm this? If not, then there is no way you could know you are lacking the vitamin. I mean, even though the sun doesn't shine on a regular basis in Canada, going outisde even during the fall and winter when it's cloudy allows you to get some sun exposure - it's just not as intense - so you'd still be getting some vitamin D.

It's funny 'cos I recently requested a blood test for this reason specifically. My mum has a vitamin D deficiency and she thinks I probably have it too. I don't think it's a cause of acne/spots though. We'll see.

Definitely get a blood test done. Otherwise, read up on Vit D deficiency symptoms. It's best to get results to verify a possible deficiency before supplementing. I took vit d supplements for a while - saw no changes.

I'm not a fan of supplements, i'd rather get my Vitamin D through natural means. Not sure how though since winter is almost here.

Yeah, I originally got my D levels checked out for other reasons - I was getting odd headaches. Turns out my level is really low, I don't remember the exact number or percentage but he seemed alarmed. My calcium was low too, but that's another story.

He told me that the sunlight doesn't offer enough vitamin D, and I would have to lay out for a LONG time daily to get my levels up, and that's just gonna cause other skin related issues. Lots of research has come out proving how vital it is to have an adequate amount and I think 60-70 percent of North Americans are vitamin D deficient.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Well i've been using a facial sauna for the past few days, and guess what...it kind of works. What I do is, I sit on my bed with the facial sauna and put a towel over my head, so it creates a mini atmosphere just for my face. The problem is, it gave me a few spots when I first used it but this may be due to the fact that I didn't wash my face until the next morning. It's a few days later and my skin is looking really good, not quite holiday skin but it's comparable.

Hi guys, I stopped using the facial sauna after about a week, it wasn't really working. What i'm trying now is an ultrasonic humidifier. I don't know why I didn't try this first as it seems more logical. Hot countries tend to have humid air which keeps the skin hydrated. London (where I live) has very dry air which tends to suck the moisture out of the skin and in turn causes the skin to produce excess oil and causes spots. The change between humid and dry air must balance out the oil production of my skin.

My plan is to sleep with the humidifier every night and turn it off as soon as I wake up. So i'll be getting that climate change every single day. I'll report back here in a month and let you know how it goes.

My skin always clears up when I go on holiday, too. I live in a really rainy place and it's hardly ever sunny, so when I go away my skin always thanks me for it!